Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

Good chance the Daytona 500 will be rained out today

Daytona 500 2012 Race Day Weather Forecast: Can't Avoid The Rain

Feb 26 8:27a by Brian Neudorff

Maybe the first thing you're wondering this morning is: "What does the forecast look like for the Daytona 500?"

Honestly, it doesn’t look very good. It will rain today, and the race will be delayed and there's a good chance it could be postponed.

Now that we are seeing rain on radar throughout Florida, we can answer the following questions: When will the rain arrive? Will rain hit the track? And, what is the likelihood that the Great American race is delayed or postponed?

WHEN WILL THE RAIN ARRIVE? As of 8 a.m. EST, rain is falling along the western coast of Florida. The rain will slowly spread east through the morning into the afternoon. The air is dry at the surface and for the rain to make it all the way to the surface, it has to start to saturate all the levels from top to bottom. This will take a couple of hours, and just because rain may be seen on radar won't always mean it is reaching the surface. Sadly, I believe rain starts to impact Daytona International Speedway between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. EST.

WHERE WILL IT RAIN? I expect the rain to fall along and north of the I-4 corridor that runs from Tampa up to Daytona. Daytona International Speedway will be right along the southern extent of the rain. Once the rain arrives later this morning/early afternoon it will last a couple of hours.

WILL IT BE A WASHOUT? As I stated above, it will rain today and rain will fall at the track. NASCAR will do everything it can and wait as long as necessary (see Atlanta's fall race last season) to get the race started and completed on Sunday. I'm stopping myself just short of calling today's 54th running of the Daytona 500 a washout, but the likelihood that this race gets moved to Sunday night or Monday is around 70 percent.

In light of what is going today, it is interesting to note that in the 53-year history of the Great American Race, the Daytona 500 has never been run on a Monday. Four of the 53 races (1965, 1966, 2003, 2009) have been called early because of either rain or darkness. And 39 races out of 53 (73.6 percent) have been run on days with no rain recorded (I want to thank William Schmitz, of the Southeast Regional Climate Center for the NASCAR weather stats).

WHAT DOES MONDAY LOOK LIKE? A lot of people have already been asking the following questions: "Daytona has lights; how late will the rain last?" and "What does Monday’s forecast look like?" Once the rain arrives, it is expected to be steady into the afternoon and evening. There are scenarios that the rain could start to break up later this evening and night and make the Daytona 500 a night race. That has a 50 percent likelihood.

If it does get postponed until Monday, showers are expected through Monday morning and early afternoon. The best chance would be later Monday evening. I don’t know what NASCAR will do if they are faced with a long rain delay later this afternoon. If they decide to wait as late as they can Sunday night, I have a feeling they will be waiting a long time.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Rain rain rain All day long.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28781

go herd

Wrigley

cancel it now more rain coming behind the current front, have a early evening start Monday so working people can catch the action

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

how will this affect my bets on race?

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5338

be carried over to tomorrow most likely sob

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
    cancel it now more rain coming behind the current front, have a early evening start Monday so working people can catch the action
    that wont happen...race will be noon if its tomorrow..they cant wait til evening time.

daytona has lights, so we wont know for a very long time...nascar will hold off forever, it doesnt want a monday race for the 500

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by unluckysob View Post
    they wont be effected at all....they stay set til the race happens

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by unluckysob View Post
    It won't.

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Yeah weather report is not looking good, maybe we will get a primetime race tonight under the lights.

Wrigley

Quote Originally Posted by ** PICKS View Post
    Yeah weather report is not looking good, maybe we will get a primetime race tonight under the lights.
    since this is their Super Bowl they want as many viewers as possible, Thats what im thinking even a 4pm est start would be good.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7178

That would be cool if they had a night race tonight.

Wrigley

Fox wont tell you the truth they want you to think they will race but rain in the forecast for the rest of the day and even in to Monday we might not race until Tuesday
    http://www.findlocalweather.com/fore...ona+beach.html

Daytona Beach Forecast
    Today...Cloudy with rain likely. Highs in the low to mid 60s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Tonight...Cloudy with rain likely. Lows in the lower 60s. East winds 10 to 15 mph Decreasing to around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Monday...Showers and scattered thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 70s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Monday Night...Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Lows in the lower 60s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Tuesday...Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers. Highs in the upper 70s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Tuesday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.

Wednesday...Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s.

Wednesday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.

Thursday...Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s.

Thursday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.

Friday...Partly sunny. Highs around 80.

Friday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

weather changes so fast in daytona, fl there no point to weather forcast over 24 hours at most

pretty useless for anything that far in advance

Wrigley

Also they probably dont want to battle the Oscars tonight for TV ratings

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

they would get way better ratings tonight vs. tomorrow morning/early afternoon

if ur a man watching the oscars you should be ashamed of yourself...LOL

anybody that was going to watch the Daytona 500 isnt ditchin it for the oscars
    Last edited by 5mike5; 02-26-12 at 01:07 PM.

MC PICKS
    Update your status

Will be interesting to see what they do if they cant get going in the next 2 hours or so, they'd be competing with the NBA all star game tonight too as far as ratings are concerened. If they could get started between 4 and 5 eastern it would be perfect in my opinon.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

Will be interesting to see what they do if they cant get going in the next 2 hours or so, they'd be competing with the NBA all star game tonight too as far as ratings are concerened. If they could get started between 4 and 5 eastern it would be perfect in my opinon.
    i doubt they are worried about anything else being aired at the same time....

still be better than a possible weekeday morning/early afternoon race...if its possible nascar will run the 500 today/tonight...

do people really watch NBA all-star game??

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32138

Whats the latest they would run tonight? Before deciding to postpone it to tomorrow.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Whats the latest they would run tonight? Before deciding to postpone it to tomorrow.
    hours from now.....nobody knows exactly when but they will wait as long as possible....

they could easily start 7-8pm but they would want to be sure it could at least be completed 1/2 way so it would be official...if they cant be pretty sure they would just postpone it

Wrigley

Quote Originally Posted by 5mike5 View Post
    they would get way better ratings tonight vs. tomorrow morning/early afternoon

if ur a man watching the oscars you should be ashamed of yourself...LOL

anybody that was going to watch the Daytona 500 isnt ditchin it for the oscars
    agree but oscars for some reason are a ratings bonanza, they would smoke NASCAR head to head if it does happen

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6771

who's going to miss the Daytuna 5000 ???

i won't...and i live in Ohio

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

nascar and FOX just announced they will wait as long as possible to get the 500 in today

even "if it means going H2H against the oscars and NBA all-star game"....so there it is....any other shows dont have anything at all to do with this race as i figured it wouldnt....if it is possible, it will run this evening/tonight

MC PICKS
    Update your status

nascar and FOX just announced they will wait as long as possible to get the 500 in today even "if it means going H2H against the oscars and NBA all-star game"....so there it is....any other shows dont have anything at all to do with this race as i figured it wouldnt....if it is possible, it will run this evening/tonight
    Nice, thats what i was hoping for cause those other two options suck.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

Nice, thats what i was hoping for cause those other two options suck.
    yeah i knew that 2 TV shows had nothing to do with nascar racing the daytona 500 tonight IF they could...didnt make any sense it would matter...nice to know it doesnt

MC PICKS
    Update your status

They just showed them drying the track on fox, could be running soon.

TEXAS MICKEY
    TEXAS MICKEY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4375

I don't think NASCAR will call this until as late as 8 PM EST maybe even 9.
    This is their Super Bowl, too much money spent, they will do their best to get it in.
    And if they do postpone until tomorrow, I see it possibly being a twilight prime time spot. There is nothing for them to compete against tomorrow night. A handful of college baskets and NO NBA either.

And fukk a bunch of gay/queer Hollywood types that want to get a gold bald headed statue.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

They just showed them drying the track on fox, could be running soon.
    takes over 2+ hours but im hopeful as ive been seeing those dryers

MC PICKS
    Update your status

takes over 2+ hours but im hopeful as ive been seeing those dryers
    Oh ok, wasnt sure how long it took, so 6 eastern could be around the time when they get going.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

Oh ok, wasnt sure how long it took, so 6 eastern could be around when they get going.
    if it doesnt rain anymore thats around the time id think it could get going...around 6pm(est)

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

Nothing wrong with tonight

Nba game is joke and so is oscar

MC PICKS
    Update your status

if it doesnt rain anymore thats around the time id think it could get going...around 6pm(est)
    Yeah thats what i figured, assuming it didnt rain again.

Wrigley

BREAKING NEWS

For the first time in history, the Daytona 500 is being delayed a day because of weather. Start time for the race is noon ET on Monday.

Wrigley

cough cough might have to call in sick to work

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post

In light of what is going today, it is interesting to note that in the 53-year history of the Great American Race, the Daytona 500 has never been run on a Monday. Four of the 53 races (1965, 1966, 2003, 2009) have been called early because of either rain or darkness. And 39 races out of 53 (73.6 percent) have been run on days with no rain recorded
    I guess the other ten times there was rain and they finished anyway?

123 Last