View New Posts
  • Thread Tools
  1. #1
    sean2000
    sean2000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-22-12
    Posts: 58
    Betpoints: 216

    Mayweather Boxing Question..

    I am thinking of betting $8,000 on mayweather vs cotto this may.

    This is my first sports bet, the line is at 800 so if mayweather wins I should get $1000 right? My question is will the sports book at vegas take a cashiers check or *********** or do I have to take cash? Will they pay me the $1000 profit on the spot plus my $8000 I bet or do i have to wait for it? How much tax will they cahrge me?

    thanks.

  2. #2
    ApricotSinner32
    You're either a sucker or a hustler
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-28-10
    Posts: 7,118
    Betpoints: 49

    I'd book that bet. Mayweather is old man he's not worth -800. His reflexes/speed are not the same.

  3. #3
    Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-03-11
    Posts: 3,109
    Betpoints: 781

    You have to pay in either cash or chips. Only way.

    The sportsbook will pay you back in cash.
    You won't be taxed. You won't even have to fill out any information unless you go over $10,000 (at most sportsbooks, there are a couple of exceptions).

  4. #4
    sean2000
    sean2000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-22-12
    Posts: 58
    Betpoints: 216

    So I will get my $8000 cash I put in back plus the $1000 on the spot if mayweather wins? Im just betting on mayweather to win...any suggestions on which sports book i shud go to? Ceasars? Mgm? Luxor?

  5. #5
    SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-02-07
    Posts: 37,876
    Betpoints: 5969

    Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    I'd book that bet. Mayweather is old man he's not worth -800. His reflexes/speed are not the same.
    He was markedly faster than someone 10 yrs his Junior last bout. What fight were you watching? Obviously he's not as quick as he was coming out of the Olympics, but that's like saying one of the most gifted pitchers of all time is throwing 97MPH from 100. And what he's lost in speed he makes up for in experience. He's a ring general with all of the confidence in the world.

    Every athlete has a bad day, blows a match, errors in a crucial moment. Floyd Mayweather has never been defeated as a professional, period. He's still got blazing quick hands and is the best defensive fighter in the game.

  6. #6
    CanuckG
    Funnel me
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-23-10
    Posts: 15,579
    Betpoints: 87

    Quote Originally Posted by SBR Lou View Post
    He was markedly faster than someone 10 yrs his Junior last bout. What fight were you watching? Obviously he's not as quick as he was coming out of the Olympics, but that's like saying one of the most gifted pitchers of all time is throwing 97MPH from 100. And what he's lost in speed he makes up for in experience. He's a ring general with all of the confidence in the world.

    Every athlete has a bad day, blows a match, errors in a crucial moment. Floyd Mayweather has never been defeated as a professional, period. He's still got blazing quick hands and is the best defensive fighter in the game.
    Lou stick to managing the forums guy let us handle the boxing talk

  7. #7
    sean2000
    sean2000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-22-12
    Posts: 58
    Betpoints: 216

    someone plz answer my question..
    So I will get my $8000 cash I put in back plus the $1000 on the spot if mayweather wins? Im just betting on mayweather to win...any suggestions on which sports book i shud go to? Ceasars? Mgm? Luxor?

  8. #8
    SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-02-07
    Posts: 37,876
    Betpoints: 5969

    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Lou stick to managing the forums guy let us handle the boxing talk
    Sounds good, ace.

    Tell me what part of my post you disagree with, though. =)

  9. #9
    zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-01-10
    Posts: 4,094

    Quote Originally Posted by sean2000 View Post
    someone plz answer my question..
    So I will get my $8000 cash I put in back plus the $1000 on the spot if mayweather wins? Im just betting on mayweather to win...any suggestions on which sports book i shud go to? Ceasars? Mgm? Luxor?
    Yes.

  10. #10
    CanuckG
    Funnel me
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-23-10
    Posts: 15,579
    Betpoints: 87

    Quote Originally Posted by SBR Lou View Post
    He was markedly faster than someone 10 yrs his Junior last bout. What fight were you watching? Obviously he's not as quick as he was coming out of the Olympics, but that's like saying one of the most gifted pitchers of all time is throwing 97MPH from 100. And what he's lost in speed he makes up for in experience. He's a ring general with all of the confidence in the world.

    Every athlete has a bad day, blows a match, errors in a crucial moment. Floyd Mayweather has never been defeated as a professional, period. He's still got blazing quick hands and is the best defensive fighter in the game.
    that part replying to patty indicating he hasn't slowed down and not being confident in booking someone's action laying $8000 to win $1000

  11. #11
    illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-05-09
    Posts: 5,212

    Of course he's slowed down, but not nearly to the point you guys are trying to make it out to be.
    120pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY8th Place 7/23/2014

    110pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY9th Place 7/21/2014

    110pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY9th Place 7/18/2014

    300pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY3rd Place 7/17/2014


  12. #12
    zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-01-10
    Posts: 4,094

    Him slowing doesn't even matter because he's facing cotto. Won't be close.

  13. #13
    Ian
    Update your status
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-09-09
    Posts: 1,706
    Betpoints: 3636

    Quote Originally Posted by sean2000 View Post
    someone plz answer my question..
    So I will get my $8000 cash I put in back plus the $1000 on the spot if mayweather wins? Im just betting on mayweather to win...any suggestions on which sports book i shud go to? Ceasars? Mgm? Luxor?
    I always bring cash to the casino so I'm not 100% on all this, but I don't think the book will take a cashiers check. However, if you go to the cage (the cage is the main cashout window for the caisino) they'll probably be able to convert the check into chips or bills for you. Then you can go to the sportsbook and bet those. It also can't hurt to call the casino and ask them if they'll exchange a cashiers check for cash.

    After you make your bet you'll receive a ticket with your bet printed on it. Don't lose this! If your bet wins, take the ticket up to the sportsbook window and they'll pay you the entire amount immediately.

    As for which book to use. I recommend walking to a few different books and finding the best price before betting. I've seen -650 on Floyd (I can't remember if it was at Wynn or a Cantor shop), but you can definitely get a better number than -800.

    Good luck.

  14. #14
    sean2000
    sean2000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-22-12
    Posts: 58
    Betpoints: 216

    Oh wow -650, if you can find that out for me would be great....i call the casino and they said I cant transfer me to the sports betting desk if i am in ca, what da?

    Wynn or a Cantor shop),

  15. #15
    sean2000
    sean2000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-22-12
    Posts: 58
    Betpoints: 216

    And how many hours before the fight can I bet on...i plan on going there the saturday afternoon of the fight day like at 4 then placing my bet....after i find out what casino has the best line payout for the fight....

  16. #16
    sean2000
    sean2000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-22-12
    Posts: 58
    Betpoints: 216

    Is there a website where i can check the line for this fight for different casino sports desks offered ??

  17. #17
    UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-08
    Posts: 9,161
    Betpoints: 532

    Sean you can make the bet at anytime, if you were in vegas right now you could make the wager.

    If you are betting 8000 to win 1000 and the wager wins, you would take your betting slip to the window and they will give you 9,000 in cash immediately following the fight.

    Sean there are thousands of websites online that have the mayweather fight odds. You need to shop for the best number while in Vegas. If you could buy a basketball hoop at wallmart for $50 would you buy the same exact one at Target for $80? As someone pointed out you can probably find the line somewhere between -650 and -800 depending on the sportsbooks. So its best to go to all the sportsbooks and check it out.

    Currently at the website 5dimes.com mayweather is -700 to win the fight

    If you have any other questions let us know.

  18. #18
    sean2000
    sean2000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-22-12
    Posts: 58
    Betpoints: 216

    Great, thank you. Do you know of a website that will show me the line for this fight for the different casinos in vegas?

  19. #19
    UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-08
    Posts: 9,161
    Betpoints: 532

    Quote Originally Posted by sean2000 View Post
    Great, thank you. Do you know of a website that will show me the line for this fight for the different casinos in vegas?
    Not sure if one exist but maybe someone else can point that out to you

  20. #20
    jason7613
    jason7613's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-14-09
    Posts: 4

    Quote Originally Posted by sean2000 View Post
    Great, thank you. Do you know of a website that will show me the line for this fight for the different casinos in vegas?
    i searched on google for you (and me) but cant find anything but sites that show offshore odds..if you happen to come across a site let me know. thanks

  21. #21
    frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-11-07
    Posts: 8,593
    Betpoints: 606

    Dude if I had 8k and I'm in Vegas, I would able to make at the very least 10k with that kind of ammo in less than 2 hours.

  22. #22
    UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-08
    Posts: 9,161
    Betpoints: 532

    Quote Originally Posted by frostno98 View Post
    Dude if I had 8k and I'm in Vegas, I would able to make at the very least 10k with that kind of ammo in less than 2 hours.
    8k is ammo?

    So where do i fill out the application to give you a loan. Lol at people who think a bigger bankroll will improve their gambling

    I could make it into a million or go bilust in 10 minutes as well

  23. #23
    eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-02-08
    Posts: 4,504
    Betpoints: 411

    go to Hilton

  24. #24
    frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-11-07
    Posts: 8,593
    Betpoints: 606

    Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    8k is ammo?

    So where do i fill out the application to give you a loan. Lol at people who think a bigger bankroll will improve their gambling

    I could make it into a million or go bilust in 10 minutes as well

    My bankroll is usually $300-600 when playing BJ at the Local casino, so I usually get my balance around $800-1200 if I don't stay too long and be greedy. Blackjack money management is exactly the same as betting sports, you don't shoot your bets. The only time you shoot is when you double down.

    Like I said if had his 8k bankroll, I won't we betting my usual $50-$100 per hand but rather $500-1k. I always win playing BJ at a live casino most of the time, the only problem for me winning too fast and not quitting.

  25. #25
    legendmatt34
    legendmatt34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-15-09
    Posts: 729
    Betpoints: 88

    Hes' only -650 at my book. shop around

  26. #26
    Grits n' Gravy
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-10-10
    Posts: 6,901
    Betpoints: 7039

    Quote Originally Posted by frostno98 View Post
    My bankroll is usually $300-600 when playing BJ at the Local casino, so I usually get my balance around $800-1200 if I don't stay to long and be greedy. Blackjack money management is exactly the same as betting sports, you don't shoot your bets. The only time you shoot is when you double down.

    Like I said he I had his bankroll, I won't we betting my usual $50-$100 per hand but rather $500-1k. I always win playing BJ at a live casino most of the time, the only problem for me winning too fast and not quitting.
    so you are like sex panther cologne?


    $100 a hand with a $600 bankroll is quick way to be busted out in less than one shoe. If you are trying to compare 21 betting to sports betting money management you are saying you bet around 20% of your bankroll on each bet.
    Last edited by Grits n' Gravy; 02-22-12 at 09:52 PM.

  27. #27
    Dank_Fire
    Dank_Fire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-13-09
    Posts: 2,225
    Betpoints: 3471

    Parlay with Canelo Alvarez over Shane Mosley in the undercard

  28. #28
    UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-08
    Posts: 9,161
    Betpoints: 532

    Quote Originally Posted by frostno98 View Post
    My bankroll is usually $300-600 when playing BJ at the Local casino, so I usually get my balance around $800-1200 if I don't stay too long and be greedy. Blackjack money management is exactly the same as betting sports, you don't shoot your bets. The only time you shoot is when you double down.

    Like I said if had his 8k bankroll, I won't we betting my usual $50-$100 per hand but rather $500-1k. I always win playing BJ at a live casino most of the time, the only problem for me winning too fast and not quitting.
    If you make 800-1200 every time you should be making 8k a week. Tell me your secrets at the most profitable table game in the world.

  29. #29
    frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-11-07
    Posts: 8,593
    Betpoints: 606

    Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    If you make 800-1200 every time you should be making 8k a week. Tell me your secrets at the most profitable table game in the world.
    Dude, didn't you must read anything I just wrote, it's Money Mangement! No table is unbeatable in the short run. Every table will get it's hot streaks and cold streak, but the house will eventually get you once your tired out and are playing reckless. You won't understand anything I just said, unless your a regular weekly card player like me that plays blackjack at a live casino.

    For Grizgravy, no dude I don't drop $100 dollars starting out with a $600 dollar balance, but if I get a plus $200(total $800 balance) off that $600 start off, then I bets will between $100-$50 dollars consistently, $25 dollars if the Dealer's redhot. The only time I increase my bets 4X($200) of my normal balance is in a double down or Split situation.

  30. #30
    Grits n' Gravy
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-10-10
    Posts: 6,901
    Betpoints: 7039

    Quote Originally Posted by frostno98 View Post
    Dude, didn't you must read anything I just wrote, it's Money Mangement! No table is unbeatable in the short run. Every table will get it's hot streaks and cold streak, but the house will eventually get you once your tired out and are playing reckless. You won't understand anything I just said, unless your a regular weekly card player like me that plays blackjack at a live casino. For Grizgravy, no dude I don't drop $100 dollars starting out with a $600 dollar balance, but if I get a plus $200(total $800 balance) off that $600 start off, then I bets will between $100-$50 dollars consistently, $25 dollars if the Dealer's redhot. The only time I increase my bets 4X($200) of my normal balance is in a double down or Split situation.

  31. #31
    bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-20-09
    Posts: 4,130

    agree with lou

    ap...like i said before...i think you are looking to see physical peak floyd...like he was against gatti....that guy aint ever coming back....

    but like lou said...the guy is fighting now with such confidence...and hes just always smarter than the guy thats across from him......when he was gonna fight shane...everyone said he had to get on his bike...that he wouldnt stand toe to toe with shane or in front of him.......he told shane before the fight that he wouldnt box him....wouldnt run.......you watch the vic/floyd 24/7....he said "i already told ortiz...just like i told shane...i aint gonna box you or whatever....so you dont have to worry about none of that"......

    his ring iq is off the charts genius level....and he knows that at a certain point he will nullify anything that his opponent is doing somewhat successfully......everyone was saying "oh oscar just stopped jabbing"...."look what zab did in the first 4 rounds"......"shane just stopped throwing after the 2nd round"....nope...oscars wasnt jabbing for a reason....zab got figured out quick and floyd knew zab wouldnt be able to adapt his gameplan once floyd had him figured(hence the frontrunner comments) .....shane didnt just stop throwing....he was eating leather and was afraid to throw......had a young, 165 lb, southpaw tryna push him into the ropes and bully him......by the 4th round the kid was so flustered(because he was eating straight right hands and missing with just about every big punch he threw) that he resorted to headbutting floyd......there comes a point in just about every floyd fight where the other guy realizes hes severly outclassed.....he has way too many tools in the tool belt for any of these guys out there....

  32. #32
    Ian
    Update your status
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-09-09
    Posts: 1,706
    Betpoints: 3636

    Quote Originally Posted by sean2000 View Post
    Oh wow -650, if you can find that out for me would be great....i call the casino and they said I cant transfer me to the sports betting desk if i am in ca, what da?

    Wynn or a Cantor shop),
    I looked and it was Cantor, but don't expect the lines to stay the same until May.

    Quote Originally Posted by sean2000 View Post
    And how many hours before the fight can I bet on...i plan on going there the saturday afternoon of the fight day like at 4 then placing my bet....after i find out what casino has the best line payout for the fight....
    Lines are up now at almost all books and will stay up until just prior to the opening bell.

    Quote Originally Posted by sean2000 View Post
    Is there a website where i can check the line for this fight for different casino sports desks offered ??
    Not for boxing (not that I'm aware of anyway). Just walk around to a few books, but make sure you're not hitting books that use the same line sets. If you're staying on the strip, you can do a loop from Harrah's- Venetian (Cantor)- Wynn- TI- Mirage and get 5 different sets of lines relatively quickly. If you're staying downtown you can check up on multiple line sets in short order also.

  33. #33
    JoshB
    JoshB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-24-11
    Posts: 354
    Betpoints: 4072

    probably a good bet, but damn that is a lot of money to be laying down for your first bet

  34. #34
    ApricotSinner32
    You're either a sucker or a hustler
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-28-10
    Posts: 7,118
    Betpoints: 49

    I didn't say mayweather shouldn't win. I said mayweather should not be an 8 to 1 favorite.

  35. #35
    SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-02-07
    Posts: 37,876
    Betpoints: 5969

    Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    I didn't say mayweather shouldn't win. I said mayweather should not be an 8 to 1 favorite.
    Your silly comments are refreshing. If you think the price is wrong, I hope you'll be pounding the dog.

Top