1. #1
    Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-25-11
    Posts: 13,673
    Betpoints: 772

    Gambling winnings(horses) tax return question

    post in this thread if you are knowledgable. i will send you a PM. I have a question.

  2. #2
    shari91
    forum@sportsbookreview.com
    shari91's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date: 02-23-10
    Posts: 28,492
    Betpoints: 3623

    I've mirrored this for you... you'll get better answers in the Horse Racing forum I think

    BTP
    Week 3
    3-2-0 147 pts


  3. #3
    Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-25-11
    Posts: 13,673
    Betpoints: 772

    thx

  4. #4
    robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-09-07
    Posts: 12,931
    Betpoints: 18

    can't get pm's. Hopefully you have a casino loss statement, horse statement, losing horse or lottery tickets that can equal it out. It doesn't equal out in the end but it is better than not having it.

    Everytime I didn't include it in my taxes, the winning tickets, I was audited and had to pay between $700 and 2k. This happened about 3 times when I was younger. I'm prob audited for the rest of my life. If u had the taxes taken out at the time, you won't get that entire amount back, you'll get some.

    BTP
    Week 3
    4-1-0 287 pts

    BTP
    Week 5
    3-1-1 460 pts

    BTP
    Week 2
    5-0-0 1746 pts


  5. #5
    Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-25-11
    Posts: 13,673
    Betpoints: 772

    I'm including the winning slip in my tax return. thats not the question. but i don't want to post it. hopefully someone else knows that can get PMs.

  6. #6
    robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-09-07
    Posts: 12,931
    Betpoints: 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Br0nxer View Post
    I'm including the winning slip in my tax return. thats not the question. but i don't want to post it. hopefully someone else knows that can get PMs.
    Understandable

    BTP
    Week 3
    4-1-0 287 pts

    BTP
    Week 5
    3-1-1 460 pts

    BTP
    Week 2
    5-0-0 1746 pts


  7. #7
    BGS 9.5
    BGS 9.5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-10-08
    Posts: 4,315
    Betpoints: 42

    Quote Originally Posted by Br0nxer View Post
    I'm including the winning slip in my tax return. thats not the question. but i don't want to post it. hopefully someone else knows that can get PMs.
    PM me, I am a CPA

  8. #8
    str
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-12-09
    Posts: 4,095
    Betpoints: 12

    I have dealt with this several times.

    Happy to try and help.

    BTP
    Week 3
    3-2-0 132 pts

    BTP
    Week 2
    5-0-0 1790 pts

    BTP
    Week 4
    2-2-1 77 pts


  9. #9
    Louisvillekid1
    Retired
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-17-07
    Posts: 28,502
    Betpoints: 75

    Hit something Big Bronx?

  10. #10
    Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-25-11
    Posts: 13,673
    Betpoints: 772

    got my answer

    bgs helped me out

    nothing crazy Lkid

    little hit but i gotta file

  11. #11
    Louisvillekid1
    Retired
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-17-07
    Posts: 28,502
    Betpoints: 75

    congrats man,

    I know alot of guys just pick up old losing tickets on floor from turf club to turn in as their own to balance out a big winning ticket...

    I wouldn't claim shit personally...

    When I hit something @ the OTB/Track and have to fill out a tax form I just toss an old dude a 100 and let him cash it or a brokedikkfukk to fill out his info...

    Lose enough in gambling to have to pay when you hit...

    Nice to see you talkin horses lately...

  12. #12
    Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-25-11
    Posts: 13,673
    Betpoints: 772

    Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    congrats man,

    I know alot of guys just pick up old losing tickets on floor from turf club to turn in as their own to balance out a big winning ticket...

    I wouldn't claim shit personally...

    When I hit something @ the OTB/Track and have to fill out a tax form I just toss an old dude a 100 and let him cash it or a brokedikkfukk to fill out his info...

    Lose enough in gambling to have to pay when you hit...

    Nice to see you talkin horses lately...
    you gotta claim bro

    they caught me two years ago on a winner that i didn't claim

    got a fukkin underreporting letter in the mail and who knows. might get audited forever now

  13. #13
    jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 176,034
    Betpoints: 3182

    10000% you get caught, its all automated as far as IRS and it pops up I guess with some sort of red flag if not reported

    Best thing to do is let an old guy cash ticket and pay him a fee

    SBR Founder Join Date: 7/20/2005


  14. #14
    Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-25-11
    Posts: 13,673
    Betpoints: 772

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    10000% you get caught, its all automated as far as IRS and it pops up I guess with some sort of red flag if not reported

    Best thing to do is let an old guy cash ticket and pay him a fee
    you definitely get caught now. the system probably never misses anything

    not so 10-12 years ago

    hit one back then and didn't claim and was never caught

  15. #15
    Louisvillekid1
    Retired
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-17-07
    Posts: 28,502
    Betpoints: 75

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    10000% you get caught, its all automated as far as IRS and it pops up I guess with some sort of red flag if not reported

    Best thing to do is let an old guy cash ticket and pay him a fee
    Do you even read post or just post after seeing thread title...

    they can't catch you if they don't have your info... (if its offshore that's a hole other issue)

  16. #16
    Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-25-11
    Posts: 13,673
    Betpoints: 772

    Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Do you even read post or just post after seeing thread title...

    they can't catch you if they don't have your info... (if its offshore that's a hole other issue)
    not offshore and they do have my info

    proper paperwork is always filled out at the track

  17. #17
    tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-30-06
    Posts: 8,924
    Betpoints: 373

    If you have a log book it would not be a problem. I have a friend that has hit one several times and as long as you don't go above $10,000 of them all together they don't seem to bother you. You have to document your losses and winning now. That is what my friend does and he goes to the track and staples the losers and makes believe on winners too but always comes out behind at the end of the day like a normal player would do and you are fine with that. I hope this helps you but just keep that in mind that you need to form from every time you claim a loss on each day. You have to be exactly right on or it will not work. I hope this helps you because I know it is a headache.

    BTP
    Week 7
    3-2-0 350 pts

    BTP
    Week 3
    4-1-0 287 pts

    BTP
    Week 4
    3-2-0 168 pts


  18. #18
    BGS 9.5
    BGS 9.5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-10-08
    Posts: 4,315
    Betpoints: 42


  19. #19
    ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-09-10
    Posts: 2,560
    Betpoints: 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Br0nxer View Post

    not offshore and they do have my info

    proper paperwork is always filled out at the track
    no man. what hes telling you is next time pay some bum around 10% (this is the standard average) to cash the ticket and give all his tax info. so if u hit for 800 and give dude 80 bucks, yeah it sucks but better for you at tax time.

    on a side note, the only way reporting/collecting/keeping losing tickets to 'wash out' winnings is if you itemize deductions on your tax return. if you take the standard deduction, you cant use gambling losses to offset winnings

  20. #20
    Louisvillekid1
    Retired
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-17-07
    Posts: 28,502
    Betpoints: 75

    /\ this or get a grandparent/parent who is senior citizen to cash it tax free...

    bronxer doesn't give a fukk, He's going to that teller taking his cash and moving on to the next wager...
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: cashrevert

  21. #21
    BGS 9.5
    BGS 9.5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-10-08
    Posts: 4,315
    Betpoints: 42

    Quote Originally Posted by ThaWoj View Post
    no man. what hes telling you is next time pay some bum around 10% (this is the standard average) to cash the ticket and give all his tax info. so if u hit for 800 and give dude 80 bucks, yeah it sucks but better for you at tax time.

    on a side note, the only way reporting/collecting/keeping losing tickets to 'wash out' winnings is if you itemize deductions on your tax return. if you take the standard deduction, you cant use gambling losses to offset winnings
    Already been addressed

  22. #22
    frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-06-10
    Posts: 8,777
    Betpoints: 24

    Bronxer I havent gotten a text from you pal with plays in awhile, My pm's are disabled and I need some fukkin winners pal.

         SBR
         Resort
         Winner      1,409pts

    BTP
    Week 5
    5-0-0 952 pts


  23. #23
    Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-25-11
    Posts: 13,673
    Betpoints: 772

    Quote Originally Posted by frizzelli View Post
    Bronxer I havent gotten a text from you pal with plays in awhile, My pm's are disabled and I need some fukkin winners pal.
    I am in the lab as i type this crunching numbers

    You will be my first text when done

  24. #24
    Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-20-10
    Posts: 3,730

    Its automated and runs thru a system that links serval databases. Best thing to do is to offset it with losses.

    BTP
    Week 3
    4-1-0 290 pts


  25. #25
    cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-19-09
    Posts: 4,898
    Betpoints: 192

    can i use junk scratch offs as a loss (state lottery) against winnings at a horse track? (played a dover, delaware track from a PA otb)
    my buddy got a few signers this year and this post has got me thinking......
    sure loses enough on those phuckin scratch offs.....to me they are a tax on the uneducated.
    until he hits the big one that is.....

  26. #26
    Louisvillekid1
    Retired
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-17-07
    Posts: 28,502
    Betpoints: 75

    Just go to the OTB and pick up all the tickets on the floor...

  27. #27
    cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-19-09
    Posts: 4,898
    Betpoints: 192

    Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Just go to the OTB and pick up all the tickets on the floor...
    nuff outta you dude....i think the IRS is at your door.
    *btw: picked up a pile already
    just wondering if they would allow scratch off (instant lottery) loses....

  28. #28
    ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 1,574
    Betpoints: 453

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Best thing to do is let an old guy cash ticket and pay him a fee
    Absolutely.

    It might be a little late now for Bronxer on this ticket, but it's best to consistently play the horses at the same places.

    Get to know who's who and let them get to know you - if not personally, at least they recognize you.

    All the tellers know the deal and guys who "cash IRS" will always honor someone who's known to them and won't try and take off.

    Know the tickets value, if it's not too much above $600 (pretty sure exotics paying 600-1 require IRS to cash) you're going to pay 10%. If it's $3-5k or something, you can negotiate it down.

    I have no big superfecta/pick 6 monster experience, so I don't know the ins and outs of cashing a huge ticket outside IRS.

    But bottom line: avoid headaches. Just find someone you can trust who will cash it. They're everywhere the horses are.

  29. #29
    robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-09-07
    Posts: 12,931
    Betpoints: 18

    Quote Originally Posted by cecil127 View Post
    can i use junk scratch offs as a loss (state lottery) against winnings at a horse track? (played a dover, delaware track from a PA otb)
    my buddy got a few signers this year and this post has got me thinking......
    sure loses enough on those phuckin scratch offs.....to me they are a tax on the uneducated.
    until he hits the big one that is.....
    Yes you could.

    BTP
    Week 3
    4-1-0 287 pts

    BTP
    Week 5
    3-1-1 460 pts

    BTP
    Week 2
    5-0-0 1746 pts


  30. #30
    jon101
    jon101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-05-07
    Posts: 612

    Main thing is to save statements of winnings and loss to work it out.

  31. #31
    opie1988
    2011 Poster of the Year!!
    opie1988's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-12-10
    Posts: 17,807
    Betpoints: 3246

    Bronxer is the most well-rounded gambling sharp on the board.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: davidchong
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 10/20/2014

    SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011


           BIG
           MEAN
           BULLY


  32. #32
    Louisvillekid1
    Retired
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-17-07
    Posts: 28,502
    Betpoints: 75

    Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Bronxer is the most well-rounded gambling sharp on the board.
    What he said...

  33. #33
    cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-19-09
    Posts: 4,898
    Betpoints: 192

    Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Just go to the OTB and pick up all the tickets on the floor...
    thought about this a lil more:

    would (losing)tickets now (marked in 2012) be aceptable as write offs or would they all have to be from 2011?

  34. #34
    str
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-12-09
    Posts: 4,095
    Betpoints: 12

    Quote Originally Posted by cecil127 View Post
    thought about this a lil more:

    would (losing)tickets now (marked in 2012) be aceptable as write offs or would they all have to be from 2011?
    My experience was calender year that it was reported (cashed).

    BTP
    Week 3
    3-2-0 132 pts

    BTP
    Week 2
    5-0-0 1790 pts

    BTP
    Week 4
    2-2-1 77 pts


  35. #35
    playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-08
    Posts: 9,115
    Betpoints: 90

    Of course losing tickets from 2012 wont count.


    One day I will post a story about a guy (maybe me, or maybe not me) who had to claim around $276,000 worth of winnings one year and did pick up tickets off the ground. Well that guy got audited and that is where the shit hit the fan
    120pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY8th Place 10/20/2014

    BTP
    Week 6
    4-0-1 395 pts

    600pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 10/21/2014

    BTP
    Week 3
    2-2-1 59 pts

    BTP
    Week 2
    5-0-0 1761 pts

    291pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY3rd Place 10/5/2014

    110pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY9th Place 10/16/2014


12 Last
Top