mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

These barreled in guys like to risk $5 to win $20,000 that's why they're into the parlays.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    By any sensible metric it was wrong, yes.

On the last few legs of that parlay he was essentially wagering over $200k. He would have to have a monumental edge for that to represent a sensible wager size.

I am certainly not knocking vyom, he knows what he is doing.
    But is it not also a way to circumvent limits at the tail end? If he essentially bet 200K on a play with say a 1.5% edge when the books straight limits are considerably less than 200K, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing?

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    But is it not also a way to circumvent limits at the tail end? If he essentially bet 200K on a play with say a 1.5% edge when the books straight limits are considerably less than 200K, wouldn't that be a GOOD thing?
    Scratch this as I see your point now since what I said implies a 13,000,000 Kelly bankroll.
    Last edited by LT Profits; 01-09-12 at 09:50 AM.

LT Profits

But by the same token, open parlays with fewer teams, (maybe 7-10?) may not be terrible for the reason I said (ability to bet more with reasonable edge).

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

But by the same token, open parlays with fewer teams, (maybe 7-10?) may not be terrible for the reason I said (ability to bet more with reasonable edge).
    Sure, which comes back to Justin7's first post in the thread.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    Sure, which comes back to Justin7's first post in the thread.
    So I actually answered Justin's question. LOL "Why are you playing a parlay, instead of a straight bet?" Answer: To get more money down than normal limits allow on final legs. Open parlays are easier to work with for this purpose because it may be hard to find enough moneyline favorites in one day (for conventional parlay) with significant +EV where circumventing limits comes into play.

PLF
    PLF's Avatar Become A Pro!

Normally not a fan of parlays and believe in straight-betting as long-term that's the right thing to do but I gotta say this topic does intrigue me. Thanks for creating it. Especially ML parlay-betting for the very reason mentioned in the first post because it aligns your interest with that of the team as a whole (The coach, playing staff) which isn't the case with the spreads.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

So I actually answered Justin's question. LOL "Why are you playing a parlay, instead of a straight bet?" Answer: To get more money down than normal limits allow on final legs. Open parlays are easier to work with for this purpose because it may be hard to find enough moneyline favorites in one day (for conventional parlay) with significant +EV where circumventing limits comes into play.
    Indeed. The poster Cookie Monster also highlighted the other logical reasons for playing parlays in post #35.

princecharles
    princecharles's Avatar Become A Pro!

Parlays offer a psychological draw that straights don't,
    Thus the allure for the rec player.
    I don't recall Konick's book ever mentioning a parlay request, only straights and then eventually teasers. (whole other deal).

Ever wonder why lines are around the block if lotto gets up around 200 million, yet week after week it's not 'noteworthy' when the payout is 100 million that most likely if won would not have to be split, where the 200 million probably would get chopped.

I'm not suggesting these ate overlays of the same situation, but definitely suggestive of a common mainstream gambling mindset.

YOUSENKO
    YOUSENKO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

"Moneyline parlays, same agenda as team"

This is not true. A 5-team spread parlay is way better than 10-team ML parlay. More often upsets happen on 1.20-1.30 odds. Just because many games are rigged not to cover spread dosen't mean moneyline bets are gonna escape. You are better off picking a team spread winner than a low odds ML bet. ML are charged with high juice because chances are one team is lopsided with heavy bets in ML plates.

First 12