MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Calipari is not a good basketball coach

He is an incredible recruiter. That's it.

He had 2 fouls to give, and still allowed Indiana to launch a 3.

High school coaches know better.

He will never win a NC because when his team is evenly matched, he can't coach them through it.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

he was screaming to foul, OP

Best recruiter in the history of the game

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Terrible coach how the fukk did that just happen... tough loss for me kind of a bummer

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

I don't think he will win a title because his players don't stay 3 or 4 yrs...really tough to do with talent alone...experience is huge...

MartinBlank

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    he was screaming to foul, OP

Best recruiter in the history of the game
    John Wooden may disagree.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post

He will never win a NC because when his team is evenly matched, he can't coach them through it.
    Freezes up during games, has done it his whole career

MartinBlank

It is up to the coach to get his players to listen to him.

If he can't get that to happen at 5.2 million per, then Kentucky needs to ask him a few questions.

VegasPlayer
    VegasPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6319

Typical college hoops. All American freezes up. Gag at the FT line. No fundamental skills.

Money
    Money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2339

He was screaming for a foul after the shot went in. Obviously he's going to try to save face after losing the game for his team. Helluva recruiter and good at coaching players, but he is always outcoached in situational plays.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Louisvillekid1

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

you just know realize that he is not a great coach. hell a half ass decent coach could have won a national title with the talent he has put on the floor.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post
    you just know realize that he is not a great coach. hell a half ass decent coach could have won a national title with the talent he has put on the floor.
    They are all freshman tho, were talking 17/18 year old kids...

Listen I fukkin hate kentucky but i can't help but respect the players he gets year in and year out....

MartinBlank

Listen I fukkin hate kentucky but i can't help but respect the players he gets year in and year out....
    And that's why a program like Butler has been to two consecutive finals and he hasn't.

He is recruiting these 1/dones and has no hope of developing a program.

Calipari is a salesman. That's it. He gets them on campus knowing they are not hanging around for year 2. Whose fault is that? The kid or Calipari?

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

And that's why a program like Butler has been to two consecutive finals and he hasn't.

Calipari is a salesman. That's it. He gets them on campus knowing they are not hanging around for year 2. Whose fault is that? The kid or Calipari?
    He has a national title contender every year in the biggest basketball state in the country...

You are crazy if you don't think Calipari will cut down the nets atleast once during his time there... probably 2/3,

I think they are the best team in college hoops this year, Missouri being a close second followed by UNC

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

yep year in year out. does nothing to build a team.

Great talent can win a lot on their own but needs good coaching to round them out. Cal is just smoke and mirrors, gets great kids that can play the game on their own and that hides is horrible coaching.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can't believe most people can't see this. and the only reason he is a good recruit is because he's scummy and pays players.

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

This isn't football. They are all bad Tony Robbins hacks. The product Calipari sells makes more money than any other. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. Recruiting is college basketball.

"Ok guys, here's the plan. Ready? Ok here we go. Guys... guys? Ok, so on offense, take turns driving to the hoop and also shoot some 3's when you're open. Still with me fellas? Ok. On defense, try not to let them score so much. BOOM!!"

Hoopster007
    Hoopster007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

Thanks sideloaded. He can be the best recruiter when he pays the top guys every year and is able to reload. Just doesn't win the big one because he has young guys each year. He will get caught at kentucky in a couple years and be out there. Same story as the last schools he was at.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Recruiting is the single most important trait of a coach...

I can't believe im defending my rival but why would you not wanna go to Kentucky if you were coming out of HS as a top tier player...

They produce successful pro's every year, and you know your not staying their long so you can schedule light classes fukk bitches and get drafted to make millions...

PLus the biggest thing players like about playing for cal, is he gives them freedom to do what they do. They love it...

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Another cal team that blows at the line... these kids need discipline in there life and not another home boy who is gonna let em run wild... then again most kids don't care about winning as long as they knw they are gonna get paid

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Recruiting is the single most important trait of a coach...

I can't believe im defending my rival but why would you not wanna go to Kentucky if you were coming out of HS as a top tier player...

They produce successful pro's every year, and you know your not staying their long so you can schedule light classes fukk bitches and get drafted to make millions...

PLus the biggest thing players like about playing for cal, is he gives them freedom to do what they do. They love it...

So what you are saying is Calipari is what's right with sport's. Come here and play and act like a childish thug, we have some money for you and a job for your dad. You are not going to learn anything here during your time, you are not going to grow as a person and mature into man. We will win a bunch of games but that's not important cause in a few years we will have to vacate those wins due to NCAA violations. You will be making big bucks in the NBA and I will be coaching somewhere else so fuk this school.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Nope, Not at all... Its just reality as a young kid it's a dream come true... especially the ones coming from poverty...

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14730

Guy and his teams are always overrated and overvalued.

Money

Calipari deserves to be questioned for his end-of-game coaching, but you cannot question his other abilities. The man can flat out recruit. He had a conference USA team fighting for national titles, then he moved on to Kentucky and brought them back to a national power his FIRST year. To the guys saying he pays players and he's a cheater, you need to stop. He runs a system that is open and allows players to play to their skills. If I'm a top recruit and I want to make it to the NBA, Kentucky is definitly in my top schools. Recruiting is just a part of the battle though. Basketball is the ultimate team sport. He has to take top recruits with HUGE egos to come together and play as a team. I am amazed that year in and year out he does this.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    Calipari deserves to be questioned for his end-of-game coaching, but you cannot question his other abilities. The man can flat out recruit. He had a conference USA team fighting for national titles, then he moved on to Kentucky and brought them back to a national power his FIRST year. To the guys saying he pays players and he's a cheater, you need to stop. He runs a system that is open and allows players to play to their skills. If I'm a top recruit and I want to make it to the NBA, Kentucky is definitly in my top schools. Recruiting is just a part of the battle though. Basketball is the ultimate team sport. He has to take top recruits with HUGE egos to come together and play as a team. I am amazed that year in and year out he does this.

Marcus Camby
    UMass had its 4-1 1996 NCAA Tournament record vacated when the NCAA discovered that UMass player Marcus Camby had accepted money and gifts from an agent. According to the article, Camby accepted around $40,000 whlie a player for Calipari at UMass. ""Marcus was good," says [John] Lounsbury, 42, who estimates that he gave Camby more than $40,000 in cash and gifts between December 1994 and March 1996."
    "In addition to lavishing money and gifts on Camby, Lounsbury tried to ingratiate himself with the player's mother. Meanwhile, he says, Spears sought to use Camby's friends to get an inside track. "He went for the 'boys in the hood' approach," Lounsbury says. "Another agent I heard of tied himself to Jackie Bethea, Marcus's 'second mom.' [Bethea coached Camby on youth league teams and has a child with Camby's father, Ames Manderville.] Another guy went for the [then Minutemen] coach [John Calipari]. Another guy worked on the people handling the agent-screening process at UMass. We were all looking for an angle."[14]

Dajuan Wagner
    In 2001, Calipari successfully recruited Dajuan Wagner, the Naismith Prep Player of the Year, to the University of Memphis. Soon after, Dajuan's father Milt Wagner was hired as Coordinator of Basketball Operations.[18] Dajuan declared for the NBA draft after his freshman year; his father remained in his position for six years before joining former Memphis assistant Tony Barbee at UTEP.[19]
    [edit]Tyreke Evans
    Calipari also hired McDonalds' All-American game MVP and Memphis recruit Tyreke Evans' personal strength coach as his administrative assistant.[20]

Derrick Rose
    The NCAA investigated allegations that a player on the 2007-08 team committed "knowing fraudulence or misconduct in connection with his entrance examination" and had an unknown individual complete his SAT examination.[21] The NCAA informed Calipari in a letter that he was not considered "at risk" in this investigation.[1]
    The player was subsequently identified as Derrick Rose. Subsequently, allegations surfaced that Rose's brother, Reggie, had been allowed to travel to Tiger road games for free.[22]
    On August 20, 2009, the NCAA ruled that Rose was ineligible and forced Memphis to vacate the entire 2007-08 season, including the NCAA Tournament and its standing as runner-up. It took the line that even though Rose's score had not been thrown out by the Educational Testing Service, which administers the SAT, until after the season, strict liability required that Rose be ruled ineligible.[23][24] The committee also determined that even without the questions about his SAT score, he would have lost his eligibility in December 2007 due to his brother being allowed to travel with the team for free.[25]

Robert Dozier
    Robert Dozier, a member of the 2007-2008 Memphis Tigers, also had questions arise over the legitimacy of his SAT score. According to the article, "Former University of Memphis forward Robert Dozier's initial SAT score was invalidated by the company that scores the exam, and when he took the test a second time, he scored 540 fewer points, ESPN.com has learned through an open records request. In addition, a person claiming to be a faculty member at his high school in suburban Atlanta wrote an anonymous letter to the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse questioning his score on the admissions test, records obtained from the University of Georgia show.[26]

Laurinburg Institute
    "Laurinburg Institute became a pipeline for Memphis during Calipari's nine-year tenure. Former Memphis player Joey Dorsey also attended the school, which is located about 90 miles southeast of Charlotte. While at Laurinburg Institute, Dozier met the NCAA's initial eligibility requirements. He signed to play for the Tigers in November 2004 and enrolled the next year. In 2007, the NCAA launched a three-year investigation of Laurinburg Institute during its review of college prep schools around the country. In May, the NCAA announced it would no longer accept courses, grades and diplomas from Laurinburg Institute because of concerns about its academic programs and oversight."[27]

Enes Kanter
    Calipari recruited and signed a professional player from Turkey. According to an Associated Press article, "The NCAA ruled Kanter received over $33,000 above his necessary expenses for the 2008-09 season. "Enes took advantage of an opportunity to play at the highest level available to him, but the consequences of receiving payments above his actual expenses is not compatible with the collegiate model of sports that our members have developed," said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs. Kentucky coach John Calipari had no immediate comment, but has stated repeatedly he believed Kanter maintained his amateur status."[28]

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post
    Guy and his teams are always overrated and overvalued.
    that is very accurate post

With his talent he is very overrated

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Calipari never has good free throw shooting teams, today they were 58.8% that wont get it done, this team will be on the right side of alot of blowouts, but I don't trust them in a tight game to knock down free throws if needed.

Scoobdog24
    Scoobdog24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3765

I agree that Calipari is overrated as a coach, but the best recruiter ever. Recruiting now is extremely harder than several years ago and he dominates.

Money

Marcus Camby
    UMass had its 4-1 1996 NCAA Tournament record vacated when the NCAA discovered that UMass player Marcus Camby had accepted money and gifts from an agent. According to the article, Camby accepted around $40,000 whlie a player for Calipari at UMass. ""Marcus was good," says [John] Lounsbury, 42, who estimates that he gave Camby more than $40,000 in cash and gifts between December 1994 and March 1996."
    "In addition to lavishing money and gifts on Camby, Lounsbury tried to ingratiate himself with the player's mother. Meanwhile, he says, Spears sought to use Camby's friends to get an inside track. "He went for the 'boys in the hood' approach," Lounsbury says. "Another agent I heard of tied himself to Jackie Bethea, Marcus's 'second mom.' [Bethea coached Camby on youth league teams and has a child with Camby's father, Ames Manderville.] Another guy went for the [then Minutemen] coach [John Calipari]. Another guy worked on the people handling the agent-screening process at UMass. We were all looking for an angle."[14]

Dajuan Wagner
    In 2001, Calipari successfully recruited Dajuan Wagner, the Naismith Prep Player of the Year, to the University of Memphis. Soon after, Dajuan's father Milt Wagner was hired as Coordinator of Basketball Operations.[18] Dajuan declared for the NBA draft after his freshman year; his father remained in his position for six years before joining former Memphis assistant Tony Barbee at UTEP.[19]
    [edit]Tyreke Evans
    Calipari also hired McDonalds' All-American game MVP and Memphis recruit Tyreke Evans' personal strength coach as his administrative assistant.[20]

Derrick Rose
    The NCAA investigated allegations that a player on the 2007-08 team committed "knowing fraudulence or misconduct in connection with his entrance examination" and had an unknown individual complete his SAT examination.[21] The NCAA informed Calipari in a letter that he was not considered "at risk" in this investigation.[1]
    The player was subsequently identified as Derrick Rose. Subsequently, allegations surfaced that Rose's brother, Reggie, had been allowed to travel to Tiger road games for free.[22]
    On August 20, 2009, the NCAA ruled that Rose was ineligible and forced Memphis to vacate the entire 2007-08 season, including the NCAA Tournament and its standing as runner-up. It took the line that even though Rose's score had not been thrown out by the Educational Testing Service, which administers the SAT, until after the season, strict liability required that Rose be ruled ineligible.[23][24] The committee also determined that even without the questions about his SAT score, he would have lost his eligibility in December 2007 due to his brother being allowed to travel with the team for free.[25]

Robert Dozier
    Robert Dozier, a member of the 2007-2008 Memphis Tigers, also had questions arise over the legitimacy of his SAT score. According to the article, "Former University of Memphis forward Robert Dozier's initial SAT score was invalidated by the company that scores the exam, and when he took the test a second time, he scored 540 fewer points, ESPN.com has learned through an open records request. In addition, a person claiming to be a faculty member at his high school in suburban Atlanta wrote an anonymous letter to the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse questioning his score on the admissions test, records obtained from the University of Georgia show.[26]

Laurinburg Institute
    "Laurinburg Institute became a pipeline for Memphis during Calipari's nine-year tenure. Former Memphis player Joey Dorsey also attended the school, which is located about 90 miles southeast of Charlotte. While at Laurinburg Institute, Dozier met the NCAA's initial eligibility requirements. He signed to play for the Tigers in November 2004 and enrolled the next year. In 2007, the NCAA launched a three-year investigation of Laurinburg Institute during its review of college prep schools around the country. In May, the NCAA announced it would no longer accept courses, grades and diplomas from Laurinburg Institute because of concerns about its academic programs and oversight."[27]

Enes Kanter
    Calipari recruited and signed a professional player from Turkey. According to an Associated Press article, "The NCAA ruled Kanter received over $33,000 above his necessary expenses for the 2008-09 season. "Enes took advantage of an opportunity to play at the highest level available to him, but the consequences of receiving payments above his actual expenses is not compatible with the collegiate model of sports that our members have developed," said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs. Kentucky coach John Calipari had no immediate comment, but has stated repeatedly he believed Kanter maintained his amateur status."[28]
    DoubleJ, I appreciate your research but this doesn't prove he's a cheater? Personally I don't know much about Cal at UMASS so I can't really comment on that. The other players are all in trouble for High school decisions. How is he responsible for a kid taking an SAT? Are you telling me if Rose had chosen to play at Duke and this came out that you'd call Coach K a cheater? That's completely false. To the point of hiring relatives or close friends, he has the right to hire anyone he wants! Kansas had Mario Chalmers dad on the staff. Is Bill Self a cheater? Kansas st had Michael Beasleys AAU coach on the staff. Is frank Martin a cheater? He broke no rule doing that.

Just because you don't like someone or like who he coaches for doesn't mean you say he is a cheater. To my knowledge he has never been reprimanded for any of your above examples besides the UMASS mess I believe. That proves something. His players have been involved in eligibility questions and their recruitment has been investigated and the NCAA had yet to find any wrong doing by him. He may not be the most like able guy but you can't knock him for his ability to recruit or get egos to come together and form a team.

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

Quote Originally Posted by stikymess View Post
    Calipari never has good free throw shooting teams, today they were 58.8% that wont get it done, this team will be on the right side of alot of blowouts, but I don't trust them in a tight game to knock down free throws if needed.
    I am suprised he hasn't fixed this issue...it was the main reason they lost to Kansas in the NC game...

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

DoubleJ, I appreciate your research but this doesn't prove he's a cheater? Personally I don't know much about Cal at UMASS so I can't really comment on that. The other players are all in trouble for High school decisions. How is he responsible for a kid taking an SAT? Are you telling me if Rose had chosen to play at Duke and this came out that you'd call Coach K a cheater? That's completely false. To the point of hiring relatives or close friends, he has the right to hire anyone he wants! Kansas had Mario Chalmers dad on the staff. Is Bill Self a cheater? Kansas st had Michael Beasleys AAU coach on the staff. Is frank Martin a cheater? He broke no rule doing that.

Just because you don't like someone or like who he coaches for doesn't mean you say he is a cheater. To my knowledge he has never been reprimanded for any of your above examples besides the UMASS mess I believe. That proves something. His players have been involved in eligibility questions and their recruitment has been investigated and the NCAA had yet to find any wrong doing by him. He may not be the most like able guy but you can't knock him for his ability to recruit or get egos to come together and form a team.

He has had two seasons vacated, one at UMass and one at Memphis. The NCAA does not vacate a schools season just for the heck of it. Yeah you can knock the guy, there is coaches that can recruit, win national titles and run a clean program.

Money

He has had two seasons vacated, one at UMass and one at Memphis. The NCAA does not vacate a schools season just for the heck of it. Yeah you can knock the guy, there is coaches that can recruit, win national titles and run a clean program.
    Again, the season at Memphis was vacated because of what Derrick Rose did before he got there. Calipari did nothing wrong in HIS program. Asking the question again, had Rose simply chosen to attend Duke, would you accuse Coach K of being a cheater? Whatever school Rose went to would've been forced to vacate their wins from that season. Everyone claims CAl is dirty and a cheater because he routinely gets top recruiting classes. There are reasons for this! Look at his resume. He produces lottery picks year in and year out. He runs a system that is free flowing and easy to adapt to coming out of high school. He manages his players and is able to get the most out of them. Stop just hating someone and claiming he cheats and using history that he isn't responsible for. That's childish. Come on DoubleJ

jackmyhoggoff
    jackmyhoggoff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Your an IDOT, ONE OF THE BEST! And by the way WATCH THE FVKING GAME before you make an ignorant statement like the one you just posted MORON.
    Last edited by jackmyhoggoff; 12-11-11 at 10:20 AM.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Again, the season at Memphis was vacated because of what Derrick Rose did before he got there. Calipari did nothing wrong in HIS program. Asking the question again, had Rose simply chosen to attend Duke, would you accuse Coach K of being a cheater? Whatever school Rose went to would've been forced to vacate their wins from that season. Everyone claims CAl is dirty and a cheater because he routinely gets top recruiting classes. There are reasons for this! Look at his resume. He produces lottery picks year in and year out. He runs a system that is free flowing and easy to adapt to coming out of high school. He manages his players and is able to get the most out of them. Stop just hating someone and claiming he cheats and using history that he isn't responsible for. That's childish. Come on DoubleJ

Derrick Rose would have lost his eligibility in December 2007 due to his brother being allowed to travel with the team for free. Calipari was the one responsible for that.

He didn't have much chance of choosing DUKE seeing that they did not recruit him. Coaches like Coach K, Roy Williams, Dean Smith don't wear blinders like Calipari does.

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

He has a national title contender every year in the biggest basketball state in the country...

You are crazy if you don't think Calipari will cut down the nets atleast once during his time there... probably 2/3,

I think they are the best team in college hoops this year, Missouri being a close second followed by UNC
    He's had the best team plenty of times before??

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

It is up to the coach to get his players to listen to him.

If he can't get that to happen at 5.2 million per, then Kentucky needs to ask him a few questions.
    100% correct

12 Last