robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I do remember it fondly sir. I remember at one time I was paying $2,200 for case combos.
    I hear you. it was a good invest at the time for that amount. Who'da thunkit how it is now?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    I hear you. it was a good invest at the time for that amount. Who'da thunkit how it is now?
    I think it's a total waste of time and money to even being a collector/investor, IMO. When you see new boxes of cards that have a factory cost of $500 because of all the licensing fees, ect,ect,ect it just totally priced itself way from your average collector. Not to mention the fact that some of their master distributors will cut their prices on some of the not so hot stuff just to move it because their only allotted so many cases they can return to the company where most store owners don't get that option at all which in turn really drives the prices down even in the overseas markets.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3507

i miss those days. i think i have all the topps baseball sets from 84-89. used to collect the fleer sets for nfl and probably my favorite brand of cards were when i was collecting pinnacle hockey cards. loooovvved pinnacle.

does anybody remember the topps baseball cards that came with the stick of gum? lol used to love those too

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

My favorite sports cards from the 80's was actually the '85 Topps Football cards. I loved that design, very nice, but dam hard to keep those edges clean.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Damn, I forgot about that 87 Donruss Opening Day set - I had that. The 89 Topps Big Baseball I'll never understand. It came in I think 3 series and the cards were bigger than normal, so finding pages to pop into an album was a pain in the butt. No idea why I collected that set. I just kind of like it.

I remember cracking a case of 88 donruss cello packs and got 0 Jeffries. Man, I was crushed. I still have a Donruss 88 rack pack with Jeffries and Mattingly on top. That cost 30 bux back in the day. Today? Nothing. It was super awesome back in the day, though.

bigboydan

What about 1989 Score football.

Now you talk about a hot ticket item back in the day this was most definitely it. What really made this one so special back in the day was the fact that football card sales weren't very big in the market place however, those boxes were upwards of $350 range at one time.

The rookies in that set were unbelievable.

While on the subject of football cards another red hot set in the day was the 1984 Topps USFL set. These sets were not only hard to come by to the point people were paying well over book price for them.

Take a look at who all was in this set.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

gotta clear out some space in one of my closets

anyone want 25,000 cards?

you pay for shipping

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Remember these cards? Oh so thick!

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    gotta clear out some space in one of my closets

anyone want 25,000 cards?

you pay for shipping

I still have roughly 5 cases of 98 Topps Chrome basketball left to move. Hell, I remember when Tim Duncan single handily drove those boxes up to $175 a box at one time.

bigboydan

I still have roughly 5 cases of 98 Topps Chrome basketball left to move. Hell, I remember when Tim Duncan single handily drove those boxes up to $175 a box at one time.
    remember Fleer Flair really well. Back in the day I was buying cases of those at $100 under cost before the offical release date. Hell, and that was from the master distributors who couldn't move it nor even return it via their 20% alotment agreement. Needless to say at $5 a pack SRG it was a true flop. Ya, nothing like driving into a middle of a cornfield over in Vandallia, IL picking up 10 cases of baseball cards before the weekend. Then again that was before my back injury of course but, I digress sir.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

This is the one we thought was gonna make us rich when we were kids. Then the '89 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. card. Upper Deck changed the game, made topps lool like garbage.

I hated the Bowman cards, they were longer than other cards.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

This is the one we thought was gonna make us rich when we were kids. Then the '89 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. card. Upper Deck changed the game, made topps lool like garbage.

I hated the Bowman cards, they were longer than other cards.
    h yes, I remember the 87 Donruss Jose Cansacco quite well. That card was red hot after he made the 40/40 club.

As far as the Bowman cards go. I actually was very fond of the 1992 Bowman remember breaking down 50 cases and sold off 100ct lots of team sets and did ok with it.

My worst burn job was the 1996/97 Topps Chrome basketball though because, I bought a 30,000ct lot of those loose packs at $.10 a pack and turned them over at $.15 cents and then about 2 months later those packs were going for $10 a pack. Now that made me shed a tear

oldscho0led
    home dogs
    oldscho0led's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5503

h yes, I remember the 87 Donruss Jose Cansacco quite well. That card was red hot after he made the 40/40 club.

As far as the Bowman cards go. I actually was very fond of the 1992 Bowman remember breaking down 50 cases and sold off 100ct lots of team sets and did ok with it.

My worst burn job was the 1996/97 Topps Chrome basketball though because, I bought a 30,000ct lot of those loose packs at $.10 a pack and turned them over at $.15 cents and then about 2 months later those packs were going for $10 a pack. Now that made me shed a tear
    stacked rookies that year...Kobe, AI, Ray, Nash etc

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by oldscho0led View Post
    stacked rookies that year...Kobe, AI, Ray, Nash etc
    I know sir.

Makes me wish I would have just broke them down and made 200ct lots of each and I would have made some nice coin. Oh well, as they say... hindsight is 20/20.

First 12