VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Atlanta Thrashers Moving To Winnipeg

Part of the agreement with the sale of the team. Never been to Winnipeg, but I'm sure it's a 1000x better hockey atmosphere then in Atlanta.

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

good get them trashers outta here we dont need hockey

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

hockey will never catch on and become a fan favorite in the south.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Now if we can get the Coyotes back to Hartford or Quebec City all things will be correct

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Are they going to be branded as the jets again or is it going to be something else?

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

you guys can have the Canes back anytime

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Very few markets have sustained consistent fan base and it's only because of winner. Carolina and Tampa Bay have each won cups and still draw well in their market. Florida, Atlanta, Phoenix don't really draw shit and haven't had much success in the past 5 years. Dallas has been able to sustain due to their HUGE market and consistent playoff appearances for the past 15 years.

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

went to one fuking thrasers game and i was cheering for a canadien team thats how bad the thrasers are

ryanjep
    ryanjep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11243

tampa bay does not draw very well in the reg season

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nope...no deal has been made yet, unfortunately.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6568200

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarket View Post
    Are they going to be branded as the jets again or is it going to be something else?
    No word on the name, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them under a new brand. Different ownership group and probably want to make a name for themselves.

The next move has to be moving Florida. I'd like to see the Twin Cities get a team again. Wouldn't mind seeing hockey in Seattle too, I think they'd draw well.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggums5 View Post
    Nope...no deal has been made yet, unfortunately.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6568200
    It's not official, but it might as well be. I've heard from much better sources than ESPN that they're just ironing out the details of the sale.

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    It's not official, but it might as well be. I've heard from much better sources than ESPN that they're just ironing out the details of the sale.
    hey I hope so, would like to see them get another chance

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

This would be awesome for Winnipeg if the deal ends up happening. No sense having a team in a city where people don't want them. Back to Canada, boys!

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Peg has needed a team for so long. I will be the first to buy the new Jersey.

Jericholic
    The Ayatollah of Rock 'N Rolla
    Jericholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8286

It would definitely be cool to see a team in Winnipeg again.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

People from Winnipeg make it sound like their team was stolen from them.

Winnipeg couldn't sell out a 15,000 person stadium when tickets were $40 and lost their team in the first place because they didn't support it. I wonder how big the base is that will pay $80 for cheap seats and $200 for lower bowl if the franchise sucks for 4-5 years straight again.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Just read an interesting blog report that the new team name of the Winnipeg team will most likely be the Manatoba Moose. True North Sports has apparently spent a lot of resources promoting the Moose brand and they will keep the same name/jerseys/logo as the AHL franchise.

http://www.sportslogos.net/blog/2011...ot-jets-in-12/

sanchez
    sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarket View Post
    i hope they use the same jerseys

mike1234
    ??
    mike1234's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17125

I think the Jets became the Coyotes - right? I wonder if they're able to take the name back?

Marauders
    Marauders's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1857

Glad to see Winnipeg get a team back. Any Canadian city team will draw better than Atlanta.

fury
    fury's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great news. Atlanta is a joke of a hockey city.

MoneyM1ke
    MoneyM1ke's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12747

Any guesses on the new team name?

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Detroit, Nashville, or Shitcago moving to the East?

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I dont really understand why everyone is reporting this as news, this is far from a done deal. I am not surprised there is poor attendance considering how bad the thrashers are and the wretched thrashers ownership group but I really wonder if the thrashers are in the kind of poor shape the coyotes and many other teams are in, there were more fans at the thrashers home game I went to three years ago than the last islanders game I went to this year. It was like a ghost town at the islanders game.

One thing is for sure, Atlanta has done a bad job of promoting this team , they won't have that opportunity for NHL team again for a long time.

But I always read it would be the the coyotes who would go home to Winnipeg. I did read a report there is a rally for Thrashers fans scheduled for Saturday in Atlanta, maybe they can storm CNN and make them cover the rally, LOL.
    One of the thrashers players, Anthony Stewart, tweeted after the news broke Thursday night he wasn’t headed to Winnipeg: “Fat lady hasn’t sung yet, my friend.”

Alot of kids have really fallen in love with hockey and street hockey in the south, you see it being played much now in the indoor soccer parks and centers, hope they keep it in the sunbelt for the kids sake and hockey can grow in the south and sunbelt, its one of the most exciting sports I have ever seen live. Kids in the south are starting to love this sport, you see street hockey being played all the time now.

Atlanta should have supported this team alot more, going to be alot of disappointed fans and kids if they lose this team. I wonder if they even keep the hawks.
    Last edited by gregm; 05-20-11 at 02:05 AM.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    I dont really understand why everyone is reporting this as news, this is far from a done deal. I am not surprised there is poor attendance considering how bad the thrashers are and the wretched thrashers ownership group but I really wonder if the thrashers are in the kind of poor shape the coyotes and many other teams are in, there were more fans at the thrashers home game I went to three years ago than the last islanders game I went to this year. It was like a ghost town at the islanders game.

One thing is for sure, Atlanta has done a bad job of promoting this team , they won't have that opportunity for NHL team again for a long time.

But I always read it would be the the coyotes who would go home to Winnipeg. I did read a report there is a rally for Thrashers fans scheduled for Saturday in Atlanta, maybe they can storm CNN and make them cover the rally, LOL.
    One of the thrashers players, Anthony Stewart, tweeted after the news broke Thursday night he wasn’t headed to Winnipeg: “Fat lady hasn’t sung yet, my friend.”

Alot of kids have really fallen in love with hockey and street hockey in the south, you see it being played much now in the indoor soccer parks and centers, hope they keep it in the sunbelt for the kids sake and hockey can grow in the south and sunbelt, its one of the most exciting sports I have ever seen live. Kids in the south are starting to love this sport, you see street hockey being played all the time now.

Atlanta should have supported this team alot more, going to be alot of disappointed fans and kids if they lose this team. I wonder if they even keep the hawks.
    Deal is done. Announcement to be made on Monday. It all makes sense when they showed Bettman shaking his head in frustration during the game when he was looking down at his blackberry.

MoneyM1ke
    MoneyM1ke's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12747

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Columbus would make more sense

EastStirling
    EastStirling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    Part of the agreement with the sale of the team. Never been to Winnipeg, but I'm sure it's a 1000x better hockey atmosphere then in Atlanta.
    Is that confirmed or a rumor?

bobbyk1133
    bobbyk1133's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3877

Atlanta ownership ran this franchise into the ground. We'll never know the true potential of the Atlanta market...

bracerman
    bracerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3404

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjep View Post
    tampa bay does not draw very well in the reg season
    And even then, half the people that show are Canadian snowbirds.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    This was my question, too. Doesn't make any sense to keep Winnipeg in that division; the travel would be murder.

BrentCrude
    BrentCrude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

The best strip joints in the wold used to be in Winnipeg.Not sure if they still are though.Maybe indecency ordinances have changed but they used to get pretty graphic and in your face.Canadian women are better looking than USA women too or at least their strippers are.I went to a competition called Miss nude western Canada one night put on by some girlie magazine and there had to have been 50 strippers there from all over like the Yukon to Saskatoon.How ironic that the strip joint was next to a defunct Armor sausage plant.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Quote Originally Posted by BrentCrude View Post
    The best strip joints in the wold used to be in Winnipeg.Not sure if they still are though.Maybe indecency ordinances have changed but they used to get pretty graphic and in your face.Canadian women are better looking than USA women too or at least their strippers are.I went to a competition called Miss nude western Canada one night put on by some girlie magazine and there had to have been 50 strippers there from all over like the Yukon to Saskatoon.How ironic that the strip joint was next to a defunct Armor sausage plant.
    Guess where i'm going

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Sweet logo.

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

not a surprise

123 Last