poochiecollins
    poochiecollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

Why don't clubs want to release all financial statements?

http://www.bizoffootball.com/index.p...nion&Itemid=61

This is a big thing NFL players are asking for. That article was supposed to explain the issue, and I still didn't get it. So, other clubs can know your profits? What's wrong with that?
    Last edited by poochiecollins; 03-20-11 at 12:18 PM.

zoso11871
    zoso11871's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2334

Why would they want to release this information?

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by zoso11871 View Post
    Why would they want to release this information?
    To prove financial hardships; that's why players are asking for it.

CaptainPrice
    CaptainPrice's Avatar Become A Pro!

The probably think in the long term and immediate that reaelasing info will net them less money and default their position

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

itīs the owner discretion, and if theydont want itīs their right, you wont go to your boss to give you an increase because you get a 6 figures account or show you their statements, most teams are private owned so itīs up to them who have access to their books. Their biz is to make money from the nfl

All that been said, the owners need to give more benefits to retired players

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by poochiecollins View Post
    http://www.bizoffootball.com/index.p...nion&Itemid=61

This is a big thing NFL players are asking for. That article was supposed to explain the issue, and I still didn't get it. So, other clubs can know your profits? What's wrong with that?
    The owners don't see eye to eye on many things, especially revenue sharing.

I've said it before, the thing being missed over and over in the analysis of this situation is that the owners aren't necessarily the unified front that is presented in the media. I'm sure there is plenty of infighting behind the scenes.

Otherwise, most of this stuff is legal-political tactical moves. On some level, the players probably don't care that much about what the books say, they are just using this as leverage. I'm sure this will get arbitrated somehow by some kind of audit and this will all blow over.

falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

The article explains the more profitable clubs do not want to open the possibility of sharing revenue with other clubs. therefore would like to keep their numbers disclosed.

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
    The probably think in the long term and immediate that reaelasing info will net them less money and default their position
    How?

Quote Originally Posted by falconticket View Post
    The article explains the more profitable clubs do not want to open the possibility of sharing revenue with other clubs. therefore would like to keep their numbers disclosed.
    Why can't ownership share the requested financial information and just say they don't want to share revenue?

Another note on the topic of revenue sharing, I think a small amount should be shared, with the most emphasis on not having teams that have too great of a market too themselves or being stuck in a bad one.
    Last edited by poochiecollins; 03-22-11 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Typo.

slacker00

Why can ownership share the requested financial information and just say they don't want to share revenue?
    Part of it is competitive advantage. Nobody wants to give their competition even the slightest edge, especially in a business that's completely based on competition and competitive edge.

The other part is bargaining leverage between owners. It makes it much tougher for owner A negotiate with owner B when owner B knows exactly what cards owner A is holding. I suppose it's like playing poker with all hands exposed, it completely destroys the whole point of the game. Another thing, this game has been going on for decades and some owners might not want to show the actual cards they've been holding this whole time because it might completely destroy their integrity if the other owners knew he was bluffing the whole time or maybe using a variety of other tactics.

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Part of it is competitive advantage. Nobody wants to give their competition even the slightest edge, especially in a business that's completely based on competition and competitive edge. The other part is bargaining leverage between owners. It makes it much tougher for owner A negotiate with owner B when owner B knows exactly what cards owner A is holding. I suppose it's like playing poker with all hands exposed, it completely destroys the whole point of the game. Another thing, this game has been going on for decades and some owners might not want to show the actual cards they've been holding this whole time because it might completely destroy their integrity if the other owners knew he was bluffing the whole time or maybe using a variety of other tactics.
    What are situations/examples of how these issues would be important? I still don't have a firm grasp on this.

slacker00

What are situations/examples of how these issues would be important? I still don't have a firm grasp on this.

Can you be more specific with your question? What exactly do you want me to tell you? If you're asking me the specifics about individual financial records for each NFL franchise, I can't hardly answer these specifics because these are exactly the specifics which are being withheld.

But if you'll tolerate another analogy, it would be like me owning a company which manufactured widgets due to a revolutionary widget manufacturing process, but disclosing my financial records might reveal something about my revolutionary widget manufacturing process, so I will do everything I can do keep from revealing my financial records.