jordan23treyz
    jordan23treyz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

Jay Cutler:The most underrated QB In the NFL

After the first three weeks of the season and watching the performances of Jay Cutler it crossed my mind that he may very well be a top 5 quarterback in the NFL. What works against him over his short career that he is not a fan favorite and has thrown a high number of interceptions. More importantly, he hasn't won a lot of games in his career and has never been to the Playoffs. In the NFL you play the game to win championships not to boost your statistics. But needless to say, wherever he plays he brings high intensity and exciting game play. I think that if he had a good offensive coordinator and offensive weapons around him, he could win many games in the league. I listed his career statistics below. He has been a member of on Pro Bowl team, but never a Playoff team. Vince Young and Matt Leinart were taken before Cutler in the 2006 draft, he's definatley had a better career than these two players based on the situation he's been put in and statistics wise.

[Career Stat Totals:

G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM RAT
    56 1158 1866 62.1 13560 7.3 87 93 65 13 85.1

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21653

Quote Originally Posted by jordan23treyz View Post
    After the first three weeks of the season and watching the performances of Jay Cutler it crossed my mind that he may very well be a top 5 quarterback in the NFL. What works against him over his short career that he is not a fan favorite and has thrown a high number of interceptions. More importantly, he hasn't won a lot of games in his career and has never been to the Playoffs. In the NFL you play the game to win championships not to boost your statistics. But needless to say, wherever he plays he brings high intensity and exciting game play. I think that if he had a good offensive coordinator and offensive weapons around him, he could win many games in the league. I listed his career statistics below. He has been a member of on Pro Bowl team, but never a Playoff team. Vince Young and Matt Leinart were taken before Cutler in the 2006 draft, he's definatley had a better career than these two players based on the situation he's been put in and statistics wise.

[Career Stat Totals:

G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM RAT
    56 1158 1866 62.1 13560 7.3 87 93 65 13 85.1
    He certainly has a good offensive coordinator now in Martz. And it's true, people have very developed opinions of him (mostly negative) based on a pretty small sample at this point. I don't think you'll find too many people who know football who won't say that Cutler has the tools to be a top QB. He probably has the best arm strength of anyone in the league right now. Just needs to continue to develop and work on his decisionmaking. He has a good worth ethic and also he definitely has shown toughness. He's never missed a game, though he has taken a ton of hits and is often willing to give up his body for yards.

louis.ana
    louis.ana's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 446

He is deterministic, knows where he will throw the ball before the snap, may force the play if it is not there.
    No good IMO, needs to be more dynamic if the play is not happening. Saw a little of that last night, ran out of the pocket for a few first downs.. running may be your last option though. Last nights game was a little deceptive, too many penalties seemed like the Bears moved down the field with ease.. but not true.

As for the coaches, they are either genius or crazy.. going for it on 4th and 1 (MISSED) instead of tieing the game with a field goal. I feel the Bears luck will run out soon.
    Last edited by louis.ana; 09-28-10 at 11:09 AM.

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

lol cutler is one of the worst qb's in the league. 26 int's last season? 18 int's in 08? Throws off his backfoot nearly every time. he is in a very simple offensive scheme so he should do better but he still a terrible quarterback.

BewareOf5Dimes
    BewareOf5Dimes's Avatar Become A Pro!

He is one of the worst QB's of all-time. His record against the spread is the worst in history, I think. He threw a terrible pick last night in the end-zone. He also missed another throw from the one yard line to a wide-open receiver. He had about 5 other near picks, or picks that didn't stand because of a penalty.

Without the stupid NFL rule about continuing to the ground after the catch in the end-zone, they would have lost in week one to the Lions. That loss could very well have led to a loss against the Cowboys. Last night they were dominated and still won.

So, they are 3-0. Their schedule is actually pretty easy the next month or so. I hope they beat the Giants Sunday and win a few more games because there will be some great spots to bet against these guys.

They have no offensive line, and Cutler still throws it up for grabs every game. He will always do that.

prm223
    prm223's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cutler is good QB but definitely not one of the most underrated ever. He is a top five quarterback but a gun slinger. Besides Favre Gun slingers don't have the ability to be a truly great QB.

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Quote Originally Posted by prm223 View Post
    Cutler is good QB but definitely not one of the most underrated ever. He is a top five quarterback but a gun slinger. Besides Favre Gun slingers don't have the ability to be a truly great QB.
    top 5 qb?

payton, brees, brady, rodgers, shaub

theres 5 way better than him.

Riv34
    Riv34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

Quote Originally Posted by BewareOf5Dimes View Post
    He is one of the worst QB's of all-time. His record against the spread is the worst in history, I think.
    so a QBs record AGAINST THE SPREAD is how we rank them? Give me a break, that is one of the stupidest things Ive ever heard....

BewareOf5Dimes

He has a strong arm. Nothing else. He has never won a big game in his career. He has never gone a long stretch of games without making multiple horrific mistakes. Last night could easily have been a 4-5 interception game.

He also has the worst body language of any NFL player, and his nonchalant attitude does not go over well when those picks aren't called back because of penalties.

He is one of the most over-rated ever, and arguably the worst QB ever, since he has the worst record against the spread in the history of the game. That makes him all-hype and a terrible player.

BewareOf5Dimes

Quote Originally Posted by Riv34 View Post
    so a QBs record AGAINST THE SPREAD is how we rank them? Give me a break, that is one of the stupidest things Ive ever heard....
    It makes him likely the most overrated player, ever. The only worse quarteback I can think of is Rick Mirer from years ago. A guy like Jeff Garcia is/was a much more accomplished player.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Everybody looks good when things go their way, but that won't keep happening. He had his moments in Denver as well. The guy that won the game was Urlacher when he forced that late turnover that miraculously stayed in bounds. Cutler's weak spot is adversity. He doesn't keep his cool when things go bad, and often turns a bad situation into something far worse. So far, we haven't seen that this season.

ijrod21i
    ijrod21i's Avatar Become A Pro!

He makes just terrible decisions. The only reason people like you think he is any good is because he has a rocket arm and barely gets by through making window tight throws. He could never win 4 straight play off games unless his defense was outstanding.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

I'm willing to bet if Tony Romo didn't exist, Cutler would be the most OVERrated QB in the league.

The guy sucks, IMO. How many interceptions did he unofficially throw last night? I lost count at 6.

sonyman
    sonyman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

Cutler and Rodgers had their moments Monday night. That was a fun game to watch.

Creamofsomeyoung
    Creamofsomeyoung's Avatar Become A Pro!

You must be a Chicago homer, Cutlet is a very good qb and is rated correctly. At the end of the year you can bump this thread and then have a conversation about where he stands among the leagues best but untill then, a good 3 game stretch is just that. 16 games long bro. Ill take Rodgers 10/10 times over cutler btw.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Creamofsomeyoung View Post
    You must be a Chicago homer, Cutlet is a very good qb and is rated correctly. At the end of the year you can bump this thread and then have a conversation about where he stands among the leagues best but untill then, a good 3 game stretch is just that. 16 games long bro. Ill take Rodgers 10/10 times over cutler btw.
    Rodgers has far more weapons. Cutler could use a Donald Driver. He doesn't have any receiver with any real experience. Some talent, but they need to develop. Don't forget it's a brand new scheme, good start, but I would expect it to gradually improve all year.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Quote Originally Posted by BewareOf5Dimes View Post
    He has a strong arm. Nothing else. He has never won a big game in his career. He has never gone a long stretch of games without making multiple horrific mistakes. Last night could easily have been a 4-5 interception game.

He also has the worst body language of any NFL player, and his nonchalant attitude does not go over well when those picks aren't called back because of penalties.

He is one of the most over-rated ever, and arguably the worst QB ever, since he has the worst record against the spread in the history of the game. That makes him all-hype and a terrible player.

This is precisely the type of garbage that makes him underrated by the general public.

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

Agree with DarkHorse and Ijrod-he has arm strength and does well enough at times to make people believe then serves up a crap sandwich. I've only seen up to the half from last night's game but from what I saw he did nothing remarkable-except for the one pass that KO'd somebody in the 30th row. Good luck

Chris7mccabe
    Chris7mccabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 398

Jordan23treyz you must not be much of a sports fan huh? Now although I am not going to say you are a homer how about some overall football knowledge buddy??? I mean your saying with a good offensive coordinator maybe he could be a good quarterback. Well he now has Mike Martz so idk who else you would want him to have seeing that he is one of the best. Also with a QB rating of almost 110 and a 6-2 td to int ratio I would say he is on track for having a really nice season.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Cutler is ok but far from underrated. He actually is overrated and a underachiever.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I wouldn't have said top 5, but definitely top 10. Last night was a quality win, but he needs more of those to convince people.

Looking at Cutler last year, people can easily get fooled by his struggles with maybe the worst WR corps in the NFL. This year, Cutler is thriving under Martz, which seems like a perfect fit so far. Plus guys like Johnny Knox are emerging allowing Hester to focus back on what he does best in returning punts. Gotta remember that Cutler basically built guys like Royal and Marshall. Cutler will get his due, in time, but so far he doesn't really have the credentials that some similar QBs have achieved as of yet. As far as pure talent, Cutler is probably better than Rodgers, Shaub, Romo, etc. He just isn't working with the same kind of weapons that those guys are so he doesn't light up the Fantasy stat book that so many posers find valuable. Ignore the posers and take Cutler to the bank, covering these soft point spreads that the Bears have been getting so far this year.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

He isn't one of the best, but he certainly far from the worst.

nobull
    nobull's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6141

this might be his break out seasson and the bears defense with urlacher back is underrated also.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

cutler is not a top 5 qb. wat makes him top 5, a strong arm?
    jamarcus russell has a strong arm, jeff george had a strong arm, etc
    is he better than brady, manning, rivers, rodgers, shaub, brees?

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

He had 2 ints called back by penalties last night.

Cutler is probably better than Rodgers

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithj88 View Post
    cutler is not a top 5 qb. wat makes him top 5, a strong arm?
    jamarcus russell has a strong arm, jeff george had a strong arm, etc
    is he better than brady, manning, rivers, rodgers, shaub, brees?
    Time will tell. I should point out that all of those guys have significantly more time in the league than Cutler. They also seem to have more experienced receivers to throw to. Let's revisit in 3-4 years.

None of those guys were in the class they are now early in their 4th full season in the league.

Edit: Rodgers is similarly young as well.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post

So, this basically qualifies as a whine and a non-argument?

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

One of them was caused by the penalty. Kind of hard to throw a good pass when a helmet smashes into your helmet as you are throwing the pass.

docvinny
    docvinny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1895

hahahaha, thats all im gonna say

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Exactly and threw up a couple others for grabs as well

jordan23treyz
    jordan23treyz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

Well to clear the air I'm not a homer by any means. Actually im a Pats fan and Tom Brady is the best qb ever, so you guys can all debate that and say he's overrated too lol. But Jay Cutler is a great QB and top in the NFL, regardless of his interceptions when he had one horrendous year with his new team. I mean for those that say he just throws hard is ridiculous, im sure NFL scouts didnt go out and project him as a top tier talent cuz he has a lazer arm. Furthermore, the person that states "he may be the worst qb ever" should just give up watching sports in general and focus getting an education. With a career record of 24-29 and a youthful 27 years of age he has room to grow and better his winning percentage, as well as be more dangerous with more offensive threats at wr!

BewareOf5Dimes

Cutler is definitely one of the worst QB's in NFL history. The fact that he is so hyped also makes him one of the most over--rated, if not THE most overrated.

The guy has a strong arm. That is what all of the idiot pundits say...."he can make all of the throws". The only problem is that:

1) He has NEVER won a meaningful NFL game.

2) He has never gone a significant period of time without throwing multiple horrific interceptions, especially in the Red Zone.

3) He throws off his back foot and this costs him accuracy. He is very reckless with his throws because he has a strong arm.

4) He has a lazy attitude and does not rally the team.

5) I believe he has the worst record against the spread of any QB in NFL history. That says a lot, whether you admit ir or not. He is over-hyped.

6) This year, they STRUGGLED against Detroit and hardly scored in game one. But for that garbage ruling on the TD Detroit would have won. They then beat the Cowboys in a game the Cowboys played terribly. Then last night Cutler throws an insane pick to nobody while they were driving for a score early. Then he misses a wide open receiver on 4th and goal from the one yard line. Numerous other passes were thrown up for grabs.

So now they are 3-0 and Cutler is a great QB? Out of all the QB's in the league, there is not a single guy who has cost his team more points in the Red Zone in his history.

Name one QB who is worse? Nobody is as reckless as Cutler, and he might not ever win a meaningful game in the NFL. They have a very easy scehdule, so let's see what happens with Hall of Famer Cutler.....Lol.

hanco21
    The Lord of No Rings..AJ Smith Egomaniac
    hanco21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2113

The guy is terrible. I saw him in the pro bowl where its suppose to be a pitch and catch game and he couldn't make a throw to save his life. NO LB blitz in the pro bowl. One of the worst QB's in football, no where near top 5.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

The kid is one of the most overrated QB's... he just fell off the radar after his terrible season last year.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Cutler is an average QB and at times he has good games

8-8

9-7

1234 ... Last