Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Jim McMahon In Favor Of Legal Pot For Painkiller In NFL

Former Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon said pot has helped him numb lingering pain from injuries sustained during 15 seasons in the league. And it's done so, he said, without the side effects he experienced from the opioid Percocet.

"This is something that has got to get into the mainstream," he said this week at Cannabis in Professional Sports, a public forum in Houston, days before the city hosts the Super Bowl on Feb. 5.

Greater acceptance by the NFL of the federally banned substance would mark a big step in support of legal pot, said Sue Sisley, an Arizona psychiatrist who helped organize the event. Legal weed has grown into a $6.7 billion industry as eight states and the District of Columbia allow recreational consumption. More than half of states permit medical use.

"If we can persuade the wealthiest most powerful organization in the country, the NFL, to reevaluate their policy, we all know that is going to have a giant ripple effect," said Sisley, who sits on the board of Doctors for Cannabis Regulation, which advocates for marijuana legalization.

The NFL Players Association is drafting a proposal to change how the NFL handles marijuana use, union spokesman George Atallah said Friday. It would need to be approved by union representatives and then presented to the league for collective bargaining, he said.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told reporters this week that while the current labor agreement has worked well for players and the teams, the league "would love to engage" the union on drug policy. NFL players who test positive for marijuana can be fined or suspended.

Opioid deaths hit a record in 2015 and have killed half a million Americans since 2000 as prescriptions surged, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There is substantial evidence that cannabis is an effective treatment for chronic pain, the National Academy of Sciences said in a report last month.

Kyle Turley, who played offensive tackle for the New Orleans Saints and two other teams during nine seasons in the NFL, was among seven former players this week to publicly recount their struggles with pain killers. Turley said he endured so much head trauma that he now has chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a progressive degenerative brain disease. Vicodin and other pain pills combined with his CTE made Turley anxious, prone to rage, sometimes suicidal, he said.

"Cannabis gave me my life back," said Turley. "It saved my life, it saved my family, and I believe it will save football."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...203-story.html

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

makes sense

I always liked this nut

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Currently, the NBA still tests for marijuana use, and if a player tests positive he is placed in a treatment program, and from there can go to fines and being suspended games for future positive tests.

But what about marijuana for medicinal use? In a league where pain killers and anti-inflammatories are common place, could there be a more herbal method? NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has an open mind, as reported on the NBA Reddit page. Here is the quote.

That’s a smart approach.

There are medical questions to be answered. There certainly would be some negotiations about how this would work in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Basically, a lot of lawyers are going to sit around a table and hash out a lot of rules.

However, if marijuana is helping players deal with pain management or other issues related to the game, isn’t using it to help better than pumping bodies full of chemicals?

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Everyone would be playing like Stephon Marbury..... high as a kite.... and the lines would be all over the place. Everyone would be stoned on the court.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Shot you don't use cannabis?

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

soon all athletes will be using the stuff but it won't get them high, unless they go all natural. Marijuana is proven to help you heal faster from bruising and broken bones so it's stupid owners and athletes are not fighting for it. It's money they are leaving on the table when games are missed due to injuries.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I just heard on the news a few days ago that pot smoking is now being linked to higher blood pressure/hypertension. African Americans are genetically subject to hypertension.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He's got a good point for football it's OK

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6422

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I just heard on the news a few days ago that pot smoking is now being linked to higher blood pressure/hypertension. African Americans are genetically subject to hypertension.
    I bet any study suggesting such was sponsored by the pharmaceutical industry

ZINISTER
    ZINISTER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4786

Not sure how I weigh-in on this one.... Ahh what the hell get STONED!!

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    I bet any study suggesting such was sponsored by the pharmaceutical industry
    I don't know. Here is the news story. Funny thing is, I remember a few years ago where it was claimed that pot smoking lowered blood pressure.

http://6abc.com/health/study-pot-smo...ssure/2303863/

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15111

Notorious_Donk
    Notorious_Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5262

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Shot you don't use cannabis?
    Been in rooms when people are smoking down. Never took a hit in my life. I honestly... don't really like the smell.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

let these big boys breathe

mngambler
    mngambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3057

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Everyone would be playing like Stephon Marbury..... high as a kite.... and the lines would be all over the place. Everyone would be stoned on the court.
    75% of the league smokes anyways so who cares