Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

NFL TV Ratings Down Over Last Year

I know many were predicting this would happen. Is this just a blip or the beginning of a trend?

Combined, ESPN, Fox, NBC and CBS are spending an average of $5 billion a year for football rights through 2021.

So far this season, viewership on those networks is down about 10% from last season, according to Nielsen, with steeper declines for prime-time games on Sunday, Monday and Thursday. The drop has caught advertisers and rights holders off guard and left them scrambling to find a cause.

“The election is probably the biggest factor that you could point to,” said Fox Sports President Eric Shanks.

The prime time franchises have also been stung by lackluster matchups, leading viewers to tune out early.
    The scrutiny surrounding how the league handles injuries and off-field antics of some players and even a backlash against those refusing to stand during the national anthem to protest police brutality may also be contributing to a “more negative view of the NFL in general,” according to Mr. Janedis.

ESPN has experienced the biggest drop, down 17% to average 11.3 million viewers. NBC Sunday night franchise is down 13% from last season. CBS Thursday night package is off 15%. On Sunday afternoons, CBS and Fox are both down 3% in viewers.

Of particular concern is the decline among younger male viewers. ESPN, for instance, is down 24% among men 18-34.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ratings-...ers-1475764108

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

interesting

I wonder if all sports ratings going down?

Are people tired of watching thugs?????????

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Garbage games on primetime lately
    Points Awarded:

nistohm gave funnyb25 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!

Who really wants to waste 3+ hours watching the bears on a Monday night? Can barely field a football team. It's bad...

Wohlford
    Wohlford's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Sports is getting political, and not in a direction that is in agreement with their fan bases.

If it weren't for gambling, I wouldn't watch.
    Points Awarded:

ThaWoj gave Wohlford 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: seaborneq, and DwightShrute

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8393

Quote Originally Posted by Wohlford View Post
    Sports is getting political, and not in a direction that is in agreement with their fan bases.

If it weren't for gambling, I wouldn't watch.
    exactly. You go to these games and watch them for an escape from politics etc. Mixing them is ruining the experience.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

The early season prime time schedule has been the worst I have ever seen, that could have something to do with it. And next we get those riveting Tampa Bay Buccaneers this Monday Night! That sounds like Must See TV

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 181

Maybe it's all the protesting, maybe good folk tired of watching whining millionaires disrespect the flag

jjgold

also games too long

It is why soccer is king

Roadtrip635

I think it's several things and they all contribute to the decline. I wouldn't be surprised that many of the rule changes, the catch rule, inconsistent referees, constant stoppage in play, etc is adding to people tuning out.

p4$$ion
    p4$$ion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 427

the product is trash. a small handful of elite teams (pats, steelers, eagles, broncos) and a whole host of shitty teams just beating up on each other.

same with the nba; cavs, warriors and 1 or two more then everyone else is trash.

sportsfan9698
    sportsfan9698's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 786

It's the economy stupid. I'm surprised it took until 2016 for the $$ start to go down.

This will trickle down to player salaries... watch for veterans starting to sit out seasons more now that they will not get the standard 50 - 200% raise for each new contract.

turkkatarian
    turkkatarian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17681

Monday night football needs to be on ABC. What the hell did they move to espn?? Tirico was horrible. ABC should have kept AL Michaels.

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

It's unwatchable, plain and simple. Refs control games. Guys brains get mashed. The anthem protests don't help. If not for fantasy and betting, I wouldn't turn it on. In fact last week I only watched about 10 min all week.

WWCD
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
    WWCD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 663

Too much reality show stuff going on IMO. Boring match ups during Prime Time. NFL trying too hard to reach female fan base with the female reporters, referees, coaching, even players (OBJ). Rule changes every season getting pretty annoying.
    Points Awarded:

Wohlford gave WWCD 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

People tired of players sitting durning national anthem.

Makes sense why ratings are down.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

1) rule changes. This is not the same game we played as kids or in HS. We want to see men pound on men, not refs blow whistles and throw flags.

2) Kaperknick, OBJR, every clown who thinks that he has a podium to self promote during the games. I don't want to watch that. I'd be more intrigued just watching the stoic Bellicheck.

3) The game doesn't make us recall the good ol' days. Maybe with the exception of the NE dynasty or heritage of Packers FB, but the rest of the league is expansion, relocation, new stadiums no Joe 6 pack can afford and a constant carousel of coaches and players and drama.

I look back to Tecmo Superbowl. Every team had a couple players you identified with as being "your team" , that's not the case anymore. There is no link between the average fan and the team. The day after a dude buys a jersey it's out of date or the player is traded. NFL used to be a long term emotional investment for guys, it no longer has that connection.
    Points Awarded:

Roadtrip635 gave MinnesotaFats 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ThaWoj gave MinnesotaFats 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Fantasy sports is the real reason! People making their own teams and doing other things.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    Fantasy sports is the real reason! People making their own teams and doing other things.
    Fantasy football started before there was cable in 1962 and online in 1997. This is the reason ratings are down this year...good post

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    People tired of players sitting during national anthem.

Makes sense why ratings are down.

tb1984
    tb1984's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1083

I would offer a different take on this, the rising of gig economy: Uber, food delivery services... Uber drivers(mostly men) would drive before/during/after football games, because demand is high. And, they can make some easy money.

jjgold

I think election major part

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!

Election bunk nuggets

Smother
    Smother's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 564

Too many commercials!!!!!!!

jjgold

Many do not watch though because of the ghetto thugs and their behaviors on the field

It has no appeal

JJJ
    JJJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 704

look at todays game just awful

JJJ
    JJJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 704

0 to 0 id rather watch paint dry

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

The games are unwatchable. Look at tonight's game. More punts than first downs. Need I say more?

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8393

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    1) rule changes. This is not the same game we played as kids or in HS. We want to see men pound on men, not refs blow whistles and throw flags.

2) Kaperknick, OBJR, every clown who thinks that he has a podium to self promote during the games. I don't want to watch that. I'd be more intrigued just watching the stoic Bellicheck.

3) The game doesn't make us recall the good ol' days. Maybe with the exception of the NE dynasty or heritage of Packers FB, but the rest of the league is expansion, relocation, new stadiums no Joe 6 pack can afford and a constant carousel of coaches and players and drama.

I look back to Tecmo Superbowl. Every team had a couple players you identified with as being "your team" , that's not the case anymore. There is no link between the average fan and the team. The day after a dude buys a jersey it's out of date or the player is traded. NFL used to be a long term emotional investment for guys, it no longer has that connection.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    Funny shit.

bhoor
    bhoor's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3668

Well, people are starting to cut down their cable TV, going for internet streaming. The ratings should be same as last year if no cord cutting.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

Quote Originally Posted by turkkatarian View Post
    Monday night football needs to be on ABC. What the hell did they move to espn?? Tirico was horrible. ABC should have kept AL Michaels.
    it has nothing to do with what network it is on. monday night football moved to sunday night and that espn game that was on sunday nights that no seems to remember simply moved to monday night. it was never a premium game on sunday. then they further diluted by going with an every thursday night game which they try to schedule a good one but usually fail. that coupled with all these holding and pass interference penalties that they could call on every play just makes it tedious and boring. red zone hasn't helped network ratings either on sunday's.

Roadtrip635

Tonight's game certainly isn't gonna help boost ratings

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

It has to do with everyone watching election coverage.

If it continues past the election, that's when we'll be able to blame black people.

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8999

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    It has to do with everyone watching election coverage.

If it continues past the election, that's when we'll be able to blame black people.
    Sure this is Obamas fault

1234 Last