StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

NFL survivor pools, can you tell if they are legit?

I know of a couple of survivor pools, one mid range and another HUGE, the number of particular pools (lots of contestants for lower stakes, other high roller type pools with big time entry fees and fewer total guys/entries) within the large framework is really quite extensive ... I've even done several of them.

Now, I have no reason to believe that there is anything foul going on with these, but my question is, how does anyone know? Beyond that, let's say they do pay, how would you know what they charge for a "management fee"? How do they get the cash to you? Is it all cash?

Are you expected to tip even though there is no mention of that anywhere, when and if you win?

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight. Some of these pools are serious money if you hit.

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON
    blackHIPPY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1610

well you can usually tell how many ppl are in them so just multiply the buyin by entries and bam you'll know the vig

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Quote Originally Posted by blackHIPPY View Post
    well you can usually tell how many ppl are in them so just multiply the buyin by entries and bam you'll know the vig
    Thanks for the response, yes I'm aware of this, what's your take on if they have a handler or other made up fee, or if they "expect" a tip from the winners. What would the acceptable tip be and if you didn't (and didn't ever want to participate again in their pool), would you be considered a "stiff"?

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

i do one and he sends a total amount every week starting at beginning with how many are in it

he keeps nothing, i would give him a tip for sure if i won or chopped

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Boys, let's say the winner takes home 100k or more. There are literally thousands of entries and the guy has set up a website to boot to handle all this over all those years ... you honestly believe they don't rationalize this and make money? I find it hard to believe that these guys don't make half a year's living off of this. Most people don't even know what is really going on ... that's why I'm asking, neither do I

You get all these assurances (again, I'm not saying there is hanky panky) but why can no one give you clear evidence of what goes on>

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

If it isn't clear to you my advice would be not to participate as the 3 im in i know whats going on completely.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Thing is, there has to be some privacy for winners.

I got some answers yesterday --- some good ones, but for the smaller pots, not super large ones.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Where you will run into trouble is easy. IF there are literally hundreds of players in these pools, it is easy to slip in ringers. These guys are working for the person running the pool. They make various picks determined by a computer. Odds are that one of these guys runs the table. Bye bye money.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

The picks are all posted once the games start. How would a computer matter? I get that a lot of people make picks early in the week, but I'm not sure how many do.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3515

I do the ones online using leaguesafe.
    I do a $5 and a couple $25s. I use the forum that contains "roto"

klemopixx
    Shit just got real.
    klemopixx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2395

Follow this criteria:
    Always pick a home team
    Never a division game
    Take a mediocre team against a weak team rather than pick a strong team over the mediocre.
    Works well for me

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Ive done a survivor nfl pool the last 3 years. Each person puts in $750 and you get a spread sheet each week of who has what team and what teams they have chosen too date.

The guy who runs it takes a 5% admin fee. Like a rack in poker.

Ive never made it past the 7th week.