Jeep_Life 42
    Jeep_Life 42's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1274

Quote Originally Posted by funnyb25 View Post
    Walsh has had a very erratic season all the way through. He has missed several chip shot field goals and PAT's. He has also made some clutch long FG's as well. He made 2 clutch FG's in the cold earlier in the game to even give the vikes a chance to be in the situation they were in. If it wasn't for those makes this conversation would never be a conversation. He missed at the end with the game on the line. It happens, he is young, nerves, and it happened. What more can really be said or done about it?
    tough loss pal!

tshafer117
    tshafer117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 288

No body is bashing Walsh I could care less about this game or him just fascinated in the amount of laces in kicks in one game.

Walsh has had a very erratic season all the way through. He has missed several chip shot field goals and PAT's. He has also made some clutch long FG's as well. He made 2 clutch FG's in the cold earlier in the game to even give the vikes a chance to be in the situation they were in. If it wasn't for those makes this conversation would never be a conversation. He missed at the end with the game on the line. It happens, he is young, nerves, and it happened. What more can really be said or done about it?

mcdonae101
    mcdonae101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2617

Totally agree. Very erratic season for him and the Detroit kicker

tshafer117

You could see it in his face that he knew he would miss or he has no confidence after the kick he didn't look surprised he looked like he knew he was gonna miss. One of the weirdest missed FGs I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdonae101 View Post
    Totally agree. Very erratic season for him and the Detroit kicker

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

Don't know why vikes fanbase not heated about Peterson....
    Dude is a fumbling fool. Pitiful.

Jeep_Life 42

Quote Originally Posted by THam12 View Post
    Don't know why vikes fanbase not heated about Peterson....
    Dude is a fumbling fool. Pitiful.
    I would be livid!

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

What does getting angry really accomplish? I haven't found any benefits in it yet...

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Got a roof over my head, family is in good health, am employed, and got an amazing rack and bald beaver waiting for me in the other room...a missed FG is very small in the grand scheme of things...life is good baby!

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

Are people in Minnesota more refined than those in Ohio, Cincinnati? Looks so

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

What does getting angry really accomplish? I haven't found any benefits in it yet...
    I meant overall.... Because people blaming Walsh.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Feel terrible for the guy.

Big crossroads for him in his career on how he handles this.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Nobody likes the laces in, that's an insane theory. To have accuracy kicking a ball, you want to kick a smooth surface. Kicking into laces is erratic. That said, getting the ball down properly is even more important, so it is possible as one poster guessed that they were so worried about handling the ball properly that they weren't trying to spin it.

Hangoverblack
    Hangoverblack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6735

Walsh has an odd kick ball flight for a right footed kicker. He prefers the ball on the right hash. He actually plays a hook on his kicks, with the ball having a tendency to start straight and fade left. Collinsworth pointed this out during the Green Bay game i believe.

Peterson and vikes blew the possibility of setting up the hash by trying to get a meaningless first down rather than set up a right hash try or a center try.

He started on the left hash, was juiced, and kicked a frozen ball as hard as he could. Started straight and hooked. Game over. Playoff pressure effects everyone.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffie View Post
    Because he's been a solid kicker for the most part. Why aren't we talking about how bad bridgewater is? Guy has A horrible throwing mechanic, horrible football IQ, no arm strength and he can't even escape the pocket for big runs. AP also didn't do a damn thing which is what got them this far in the first place.
    Not to mention in the presser after the game he sat on the stool in front of the locker, took every question like a man, and owned it.
    Said it was my job to knock it through, I didn't do my job etc. etc. etc. with humility and class.

He gets a pass from me, took 100 percent of the blame with dignity,

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

Quote Originally Posted by Hangoverblack View Post
    Walsh has an odd kick ball flight for a right footed kicker. He prefers the ball on the right hash. He actually plays a hook on his kicks, with the ball having a tendency to start straight and fade left. Collinsworth pointed this out during the Green Bay game i believe.

Peterson and vikes blew the possibility of setting up the hash by trying to get a meaningless first down rather than set up a right hash try or a center try.

He started on the left hash, was juiced, and kicked a frozen ball as hard as he could. Started straight and hooked. Game over. Playoff pressure effects everyone.

I've been screaming this from the rooftops for 24 hours now
    . 3 made FGs, 2 were right hash one was center, then they RUN TO THE LEFT on the most important FG of all. He had made a right hash laces in kick already ... The first down, as you say, meant nothing, they weren't going to risk fumbling or something else on subsequent plays when you can just kick the game winner.

What happens? The kick goes left. Big surprise.

Seriously, I blame the coach. That detail is so obvious and so critical it should not go unblamed.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Not to mention in the presser after the game he sat on the stool in front of the locker, took every question like a man, and owned it.
    Said it was my job to knock it through, I didn't do my job etc. etc. etc. with humility and class.

He gets a pass from me, took 100 percent of the blame with dignity,
    Damn right. Handled it like a man.

Zimmer actually came off as a real prick afterwards.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Hangoverblack
    Hangoverblack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6735

Exactly. ^^^

And on such a short kick, the hash angle is much greater. He kicked a 50 yard swing when he needed a 2 foot putt swing.

BrickJames
    Action
    BrickJames's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8914

Guys I live about 3 miles from the stadium they were playing at (tcf bank stadium) and I can tell you first hand it's hard enough to do anything in weather like that let alone play football. You can barely go out and shovel your sidewalk and weather like that.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Zimmer still has some of that Marvin Lewis bad-luck-stank from his time in Cincy.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Gimme a freakin' break. A football player made a mistake; in the typical three-hour game, this happens, oh, I don't know, about a thousand times. Unless this cost you a wager that paid more than 1000-to-1 odds, no one cares. Move on.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273605

not that any team would do this again (although the vikings did against the Rams in I think a playoff outdoor game at the Met in the 70s)

if they had a fake FG play and pitched it to Walsh he would have walked into the endzone with nobody within 15 yards from him. it crossed my mind that was the free play but so hard to do. 97% if pretty free also!

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Got a roof over my head, family is in good health, am employed, and got an amazing rack and bald beaver waiting for me in the other room...a missed FG is very small in the grand scheme of things...life is good baby!
    Love the wood floor myself, my wife sports the jonbonet look too.

tshafer117

A lot of good points here but this whole thread got off topic. I wasn't blaming Walsh or giving him heat or the holder I just genuinly wondered if he prefered the laces in since there was no attempt to move the ball to laces out in any of his kicks which surprised me a lot. He drilled kicks with the laces in during this game. Just wondered why there was no attempt by the holder to spin the ball to laces out during any kick in the game.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9578

No kicker wants the laces showing, but it doesn't matter on that short of a kick. Normally, a holder will catch the ball and spin it on the place down. But the holder was worried about the weather, and I think he had gloves on, so he wasn't doing his normal routine, which was smart. In those conditions, get the ball down.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Enough with the laces in and out. From 27 yards, even if he kicked an empty can of paint he should have made it.

Jeep_Life 42

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Enough with the laces in and out. From 27 yards, even if he kicked an empty can of paint he should have made it.
    I agree....he choked end of story...

First 12