I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

I know it's a movie but it applies...

I/O

and now

for something completely different....

Top 10 Jewish Football Players Of All-Time – Thursday’s Top Ten List

By Matthew J. Goldberg on Feb 02, 2012 with Comments 5
    <iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.d58098f8a7f0ff5a206e7f15442 a6b30.en.html#_=1415798437300&count=hori zontal&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2F www.jewocity.com%2Fblog%2Ftop-10-jewish-football-players-of-all-time-thursday%25E2%2580%2599s-top-ten-list%2F687&size=m&text=Top%2010%20Jewish %20Football%20Players%20Of%20All-Time%20%E2%80%93%20Thursday%E2%80%99s%20 Top%20Ten%20List%20%7C%20Jewocity%20Blog &url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jewocity.com%2Fblo g%2Ftop-10-jewish-football-players-of-all-time-thursday%25e2%2580%2599s-top-ten-list%2F687" class="twitter-share-button twitter-tweet-button twitter-share-button twitter-count-horizontal" title="Twitter Tweet Button" data-twttr-rendered="true" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; width: 110px; height: 20px;"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jewocity. com%2Fblog%2Ftop-10-jewish-football-players-of-all-time-thursday%25e2%2580%2599s-top-ten-list%2F687&layout=button_count&show_face s=false&width=98&action=like&colorscheme =light" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; border-style: none; overflow: hidden; width: 98px; height: 21px;"></iframe>
    <iframe frameborder="0" hspace="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" tabindex="0" vspace="0" width="100%" id="I0_1415798438113" name="I0_1415798438113" src="https://apis.google.com/u/0/se/0/_/+1/fastbutton?usegapi=1&size=medium&hl=en-US&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jewocity.com& url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jewocity.com%2Fblog %2Ftop-10-jewish-football-players-of-all-time-thursday%25e2%2580%2599s-top-ten-list%2F687&gsrc=3p&ic=1&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fs cs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.-9gQzhUtgIM.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DA Q%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Ft%3Dzcms%2Frs%3DAGL TcCNcHwhg6H37FKVzli2QXQ2tVylx6w#_methods =onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_ resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cdr efresh%2Cerefresh&id=I0_1415798438113&pa rent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jewocity.com&pfnam e=&rpctoken=16556742" data-gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; position: static; top: 0px; width: 90px; border-style: none; left: 0px; visibility: visible; height: 20px;"></iframe>

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="http://badge.stumbleupon.com/badge/embed/1/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jewocity.com%2Fblo g%2Ftop-10-jewish-football-players-of-all-time-thursday%25E2%2580%2599s-top-ten-list%2F687" width="74" height="18" id="iframe-stmblpn-widget-1" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; overflow: hidden; border-width: 0px;"></iframe>

Created by Matthew J. Goldberg, tipofthegoldberg.com
    With Super Bowl XLVI just three—or is it III—days away, Bagels & Jocks rates and ranks the Top Ten Jewish Football Players of All-Time. Perhaps surprisingly, the task became less about stretching to find a minyan but one of having to cut some very worthy players.
    In researching beyond a few obvious candidates, it also became evident that some prominent Jewish players—in addition to celebrated team coaches and executives—helped pave the way for collegiate football (NCAA), the National Football (NFL) and some of the forerunner leagues such as the American Football League (AFL).
    Some excellent information for this piece was provided by the International Jewish Hall of Fame, which was founded in Netanya, Israel in 1979 and the National Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Museum, which dates to 1993 in Commack, New York and is part of the Suffolk Y Jewish Community Center.
    Our unofficial eleventh man, if you will, would probably be Andre Tippet, who terrorized (that’s a good thing in this context) opposing quarterbacks and ball carriers from 1982-1993 as a strong-side linebacker for the New England Patriots. Tippett, who converted to Judaism after he retired from the NFL, is a member of both the National Jewish and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.
    Here are ten of the very best greats of the gridiron, pillars of the pigskin andMachers of the Midway. The Number One player certainly was; he starred for the Chicago Bears team that was known as the Monsters of the Midway.
    10. JAY FIEDLER (1971–)
    Member – National Jewish Sports Hall of Fame
    This Oceanside, NY product was an NFL quarterback for nine seasons, enjoying his best run as a starter with the Miami Dolphins from 2000-2004. Fiedler enjoyed an impressive 37-23 record as an NFL quarterback, completed almost 59 percent of his passes and threw 69 touchdowns. Prior to his pro career, he starred for the Big Green of Dartmouth.
    9. SIGMUND (SIG) HARRIS (1883–1964)
    International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame
    Sig Harris did not have an opportunity to play pro football but he was a legendary player in the early days of collegiate football the University of Minnesota. Harris was the team’s starting quarterback, punter, punt returner and safety from 1902-1904. A true signal caller, he also called all of his team’s play.
    In his three years as a Golden Gopher, the team compiled a composite record of 37 wins, two losses and two ties, with both losses coming in 1902. During their 14-0-1 season of 1903, the Gophers outscored their opponents by an unbelievable margin of 656-12. The only slight blemish on their record was a 6-6 tie with archrival Michigan. They made up for it the next year, winning all 13 games by a combined score of…are you ready for this…725-12.
    Sig also coached for his alma mater, and not insignificantly, founded a machinery business in 1905 that he headed until he passed away.
    8. HARRY NEWMAN (1909–2000)
    Member – International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame
    Newman played professionally for the New York Giants from 1933-35, with injuries limiting what may have been a Hall of Fame pro career. He was a do-everything tailback, who was a threat to run, pass, punt and place kick.
    Newman was enshrined as part of the first class of inductees into the College Football Hall of Fame. The University of Michigan Al-American starred from 1930-32 and won the equivalent of the Heisman Trophy (called the Douglas Fairbanks Trophy) his senior year. His team had similar success as Sig Harris’ Gophers; the Wolverines, spearheaded by Newman’s marvelous play, lost only one game and tied two in his three years at Ann Arbor.
    7. MARSHALL GOLDBERG (1917–2006)
    Member – International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame
    National Jewish Sports Hall of Fame
    The West Virginia football, basketball and track star became an unstoppable force at the University of Pittsburgh, leading the Panthers to a Rose Bowl win in 1937 and an NCAA championship in 1938.
    His pro career was also quite impressive, and he has twice been a finalist for a berth in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. A two-way player, Goldberg was a solid runner but really starred at defensive back, earning four All-Pro selections in the 1940s. His strong two-way play was a key factor in the Chicago Cardinals winning an NFL title in 1948.
    6. HARRIS BARTON (1964–)
    Harris Barton was a stalwart member of the San Francisco 49ers’ great offensive lines from 1987-1996. The one-time Pro Bowler and four-time All-Pro blocked for two Hall of Fame quarterbacks, Joe Montana and Steve Young and was a starter for three Super Bowl champion teams in his ten years.
    Barton was a collegiate star for the University of North Carolina.
    5. ED NEWMAN (1951–)
    Newman was an All-America offensive lineman and two-time ACC heavyweight wrestling champion as a two-sports stud at Duke University.
    He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in 1973 and helped anchor their line for 13 years. In that time, The Fins played in three Super Bowls. The four-time Pro Bowler was big, strong (he was credited with bench-pressing over 500 pounds), tough (Newman excelled despite multiple knee injuries and thyroid cancer surgery) and smart (he became a judge after his retirement from the NFL)
    4. LYLE ALZADO (1949–1992)
    Brooklyn’s own Lyle Alzado may best be remembered as one of the feared defensive linemen of those colorful Los Angeles Raiders teams of the early 1980s. The multiple Pro Bowl and All-Pro selection enjoyed a terrific 15-year NFL career with the Raiders, Denver Broncos and Cleveland Browns. He played in two Super Bowls, winning one.
    Alzado was also honored by his fellow players as the NFL’s Whizzer White Man of the Year in 1977.
    3 . BENNY FRIEDMAN (1905*–1982)
    Pro Football Hall of Fame
    Friedman was a sensational player at the University of Michigan prior to entering the NFL to great fanfare in 1927. The versatile back could run, kick and play defensive back with the best of his era, but really excelled at throwing the ball at a time when it was not done with either regularity or much proficiency.
    In each of his first four years in the NFL, Benny led the league in touchdown passes. Although he had a relatively short pro career, his career mark of 66 touchdown passes was unbroken for years after he left the game.
    Friedman was such a gate attraction for the league that New York Giants owner Tim Mara purchased the Detroit Wolverines franchise prior to the 1929 season just to acquire his services. Benny Friedman is still the only NFL player to lead the league in touchdown passes and rushing touchdowns in the same year.
    2. RON MIX
    Known as “The Intellectual Assassin,” Ron Mix played all but the last season of his 11-year Hall of Fame pro career with the Los Angeles/San Diego Chargers. The Raiders coaxed him out of retirement in 1971, one year after he left the Chargers.
    Mix was a Pro Bowl selection every year from 1961-68 and was a first-team All-Pro each year from 1960-68. He was unanimously chosen for the AFL’s all-time team in 1969. In 1979, Ron became only the second AFL player and sixth offensive lineman to be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
    1. SID LUCKMAN (1916–1998)
    Sid Luckman, another Brooklynite, starred at Columbia University prior to becoming the greatest quarterback in the history of the Chicago Bears franchise. Luckman spent each of his 12 Hall of Fame seasons (1939-50) in the Windy City.
    Operating from the T-formation, Luckman was, arguably, the greatest passer of his era, and he was also a fine defensive back and punter. The cerebral Columbia grad was a five-time Pro Bowl selection and a one-time league MVP who led his “Monsters of the Midway” teams to four NFL championships.
    Three of his most famous games were: 1) a 73-0 rout of the Washington Redskins—who were led by the (otherwise) superb Sammy Baugh—in the 1940 title game; 2) a remarkable seven touchdown passes and 443 passing yards in a 56-7 trouncing of the host New York Giants on what was billed as Sid Luckman Day (and it was); 3) five touchdown passes to defeat the Redskins 41-21 in the 1943 title game.

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Tony Romo never won crap

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    I know it's a movie but it applies...

Your link is broken, not sure what it was supposed to be. The Jewish list was interesting tho.

I/O

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Your link is broken, not sure what it was supposed to be. The Jewish list was interesting tho.
    Trading Places

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Quote Originally Posted by Dollars2Donuts View Post
    Straight up, the OP may be being a dikk about IT, but he is almost right.

Warren Moon of course was a terrific QB, to say that he wasn't just proves that you are either stupid or you just never watched him run a game. He was a leader, he was accurate and he could read defenses. Now, did he ever win the SB? No. But, he never had a atacked team around him and in those days there were some pretty fantastic teams out there (Niners anyone?).

Now, the rest of the bunch I happen to agree with. Cunningham was ok and fun to watch scramble around, but even at his best he was never a top 15 QB in the league. In my opinion McNabb was always a system guy and was an average guy at best, McNair was very overrated, RGIII will never have another year like his rookie year and will be out of the league by 30 (I predicted this after his first season) and Mike Vick....well Mike Vick was close and exciting, but he would never have led a team to the promised land.

I honestly believe different people, races, sexes and people from different cultures and backgrounds are better at certain things. Is the aveeage black male a better athlete than the average white or Hispanic male? I think so. Are men better at sports than women? Yes...and that isn't just in sports where you need to be big and fast. How about billiards? Women should be able to compete with men in an even level there, and it won't happen. There are a million examples of this and I could literally keep naming them all night, but I digress.

Is it a stretch to think that a white male may think in a more strategic way, especially under pressure, than a black male? I don't see why not. It certainly isn't a racist thing. It certainly isn't an 'intelligence' thing or an 'education' thing. I believe that, while it cannot be proven, this may be the ultimate truth....and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Anyway, I prefer to look at people that bring this stuff up in a neutral light, for even if they are doing it to stir shit up, they may just end up starting a healthy conversation.

Cheers
    How can you say Cunningham was never a top 15 qb in the league while he was playing. Rest of the post is senseless as well.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    How can you say Cunningham was never a top 15 qb in the league while he was playing. Rest of the post is senseless as well.

He wasn't. He played for a VERY long time, and during no 3 year span was he looked at as being one of the league's best....that is just the truth.

As for your next comment.....elaborate.....how so JT? If you just want to take shots, do it in an informed and constructive way.

jtoler

He wasn't. He played for a VERY long time, and during no 3 year span was he looked at as being one of the league's best....that is just the truth.

As for your next comment.....elaborate.....how so JT? If you just want to take shots, do it in an informed and constructive way.
    Youre crazy, anybody who remembers during that time will disagree, he was even good late in career at Minnesota. So white people just inherently think better than black people is that what youre saying? If you read post 32 you will begin to understand some of what's really going on. Its about development. Yes black athletes are typically faster than white athletes and if one can run why not use it, if youre not mobile youre going to be more apt to stand in the pocket and try to figure out things as oppose to running when you know you cant run for 1st downs anyway. This could go back to alot of things such as being taught the position the correct way, Im sure alot more white qbs growing up were in better camps while young, but this has changed as black kids are going to camps even out of state, my cousin attended UNC a few years back, wasnt on anyone's radar but ran a 4.5 there and boom 6 ACC schools offered scholarships, he was a tight end, DE. The ability to get to these camps and being taught the correct by their own coach in high school has you seeing more black qbs who are pocket passers, but it takes good coaching starting them off young this way will bring more and more of this, Winston is one, there have been quite a few in the past, but once they run even a couple times they start getting a label, Russel Wilson reads defenses fine as alot of black qbs but since they can run when they do there goes the label.
    Last edited by jtoler; 11-12-14 at 01:00 PM.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

Youre crazy, anybody who remembers during that time will disagree, he was even good late in career at Minnesota. So white people just inherently think better than black people is that what youre saying? If you read post 32 you will begin to understand some of what's really going on. Its about development. Yes black athletes are typically faster than white athletes and if one can run why not use it, if youre not mobile youre going to be more apt to stand in the pocket and try to figure out things as oppose to running when you know you cant run for 1st downs anyway. This could go back to alot of things such as being taught the position the correct way, Im sure alot more white qbs growing up were in better camps while young, but this has changed as black kids are going to camps even out of state, my cousin attended UNC a few years back, wasnt on anyone's radar but ran a 4.5 there and boom 6 ACC schools offered scholarships, he was a tight end, DE. The ability to get to these camps and being taught the correct by their own coach in high school has you seeing more black qbs who are pocket passers, but it takes good coaching starting them off young this way will bring more and more of this, Winston is one, there have been quite a few in the past, but once they run even a couple times they start getting a label, Russel Wilson reads defenses fine as alot of black qbs but since they can run when they do there goes the label.
    I am crazy.....I am crazy....OK.

First off Cunningham had 2 seasons with a PA% better than 60, more than 3500 yards and a rating of better than 90. His ONLY really good season actually did come later, in Minnesota.

Maybe you don't understand.....in only 7 of his 16 years in the NFL was he even his teams starting QB....what does that tell you? His TD to Int ratio was 1.5 to 1...which, even back then, was not good. I liked Randall....enjoyed watching him play, but he was NEVER considered to be a top QB, not when you were there....so either you are an Eagles fan or you are just out of touch with reality. In 88, 89 and 90 people liked him....just like the Vick stuff....people enjoy watching a QB that can scramble around....would I have wanted him as my QB? Not on your life....he NEVER won anything. In those three years (and his later year in Minny) he was named to the Pro Bowl...if you want me to start naming off scrubs that have been named to the Pro Bowl in the last two decades I would be happy to do that for you.

As for the rest of it, that is a matter of opinion. I NEVER said it was a matter of intelligence....if you think that, even for a second then you are beyond hope. All I stated was the obvious, that in many cases 'certain people' are better suited to do certain things. That doesn't mean that the best black QB could not call a game better than the best white QB....it means 'in general'. To dispute this, you would have to be dumb as shit, as it is impossible to do so.

As for the general 'feel' of your response....you couldn't be further from the truth if it was buried. I couched my response to make sure it was not inflammatory IN THE LEAST. Why would you make it into something like that? By misquoting me, that is exactly where you want to take it and to do so, is ridiculous.

jtoler

I am crazy.....I am crazy....OK.

First off Cunningham had 2 seasons with a PA% better than 60, more than 3500 yards and a rating of better than 90. His ONLY really good season actually did come later, in Minnesota.

Maybe you don't understand.....in only 7 of his 16 years in the NFL was he even his teams starting QB....what does that tell you? His TD to Int ratio was 1.5 to 1...which, even back then, was not good. I liked Randall....enjoyed watching him play, but he was NEVER considered to be a top QB, not when you were there....so either you are an Eagles fan or you are just out of touch with reality. In 88, 89 and 90 people liked him....just like the Vick stuff....people enjoy watching a QB that can scramble around....would I have wanted him as my QB? Not on your life....he NEVER won anything. In those three years (and his later year in Minny) he was named to the Pro Bowl...if you want me to start naming off scrubs that have been named to the Pro Bowl in the last two decades I would be happy to do that for you.

As for the rest of it, that is a matter of opinion. I NEVER said it was a matter of intelligence....if you think that, even for a second then you are beyond hope. All I stated was the obvious, that in many cases 'certain people' are better suited to do certain things. That doesn't mean that the best black QB could not call a game better than the best white QB....it means 'in general'. To dispute this, you would have to be dumb as shit, as it is impossible to do so.

As for the general 'feel' of your response....you couldn't be further from the truth if it was buried. I couched my response to make sure it was not inflammatory IN THE LEAST. Why would you make it into something like that? By misquoting me, that is exactly where you want to take it and to do so, is ridiculous.
    Takes a great team to win a Super Bowl, Terry Bradshaw's stats are a joke and he's in the Hall of Fame, he was on great teams. I never said Cunningham was the greatest qb ever or anything but surely he was top 15 during some years of his career, you said he wasnt, thats simply not true. Jim Kelly's td-int ratio is 1.35 to 1 and he's in the HOF so what does that tell ya and there are many like that.
    Last edited by jtoler; 11-12-14 at 02:04 PM.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

Takes a great team to win a Super Bowl, Terry Bradshaw's stats are a joke and he's in the Hall of Fame, he was on great teams. I never said Cunningham was the greatest qb ever or anything but surely he was top 15 during some years of his career, you said he wasnt, thats simply not true. Jim Kelly's td-int ratio is 1.35 to 1 and he's in the HOF so what does that tell ya and there are many like that.
    Bradshaw is never listed on the greatest QBs of all time either....he made the HOF simply because of his team and his leadership abilities.

Cunningham would have been in the top 15 in his career in SELECT years, yes....I do not dispute that. Go back to my original post....he was never a truly top end QB.

Kelly took teams to 4 consecutive SB's....and was adored by fans. He also played more consistently as his team's starter and had more TD's in a much shorter career with 237 compared to 201 and 35,000 yards as opposed to 29,000....in way less games. I am not sure he was ever a truly top QB, but he was consistent. If Cunningham had gone to 4 consecutive SB's I may have changed my opinion of him....or had played for one team for 11 consecutive years and been their starter.

Anyway, point is moot. More upset about my comments being taken out of context than what QB is better than another.

jtoler

I didnt think I took out of context I was only responding to Cunningham never being a top 15 qb in any year thats what I thought you said.

First 12