LasVegasLouie
    LasVegasLouie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Betting With A Local Bookmaker

BETTING WITH A LOCAL

Here are a few tips for you guys that still call up your local bookie to make a bet.

I was on the other side of that phone for many years, and I have a little advice for you.

1. Always ask for a full rundown, when you call in to get a line or to get the changes. Never ask for the line or the changes on a specific game. If you let this guy know what game you are interested in, he is going to guess what side you are betting and shade the line on you.

They know if you bet favorites, or dogs, or follow the steam, or favor certain teams, they will guess right most of the time and steal 1/2 points. Don't give them any advantage, get a full down, or ask
    for all the changes! Especially if you only have one book.

If you have several books, you might want to tempt him to guess, you only have to bet if he guesses wrong, that way you are stealing the 1/2 points.

More to come

thunderous
    Update your status
    thunderous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7111

I have had to call in my local twice maybe 3 times in past couple of years but every time I have called I name the team on opposite side for the same exact reason you mentioned...hey whats the line on the Seattle game? As soon as he says -6.5 I'd say okay thanks much I'll take Green Bay.