8/23/14
Redskins @ Ravens
Recommendation: Redskins +2.5
Things are looking up in Washington with Mike Shanahan outand Jay Gruden taking over as head coach. Reports are already indicating thatteam chemistry is much better so far this year. Robert Griffin III seems tohave a much better relationship with Gruden and that will go a long way inhelping the Redskins win games.
RGIII looks healthy coming into the season. He has made positiveplays, he just needs to work on not making that one big mistake. He can’t beforcing throws and throwing interceptions when the play breaks down. As long ashe takes care of the ball (and himself), the ‘Skins will be just fine. I amalso very high on backup QB Kirk Cousins. This guy is better than a handful ofstarters in the NFL, and Washington is fielding many trade inquiries as aresult. Cousins is a big reason for this play, as I am very confident when hehas the ball and I know that he will put his team in a good position to win thegame outright. The Redskins are on a short week because they played Monday night,but short weeks don’t matter near as much in the preseason as they do when thegames actually count.
The Ravens will be without their top 3 cornerbacks tonight. JimmySmith, Asa Jackson, and Lardarius Webb will all be sidelined. This obviouslyleaves Baltimore’s secondary very vulnerable to the big play form both Griffinand Cousins. The Ravens got off to a very slow start last week, and Joe Flaccodidn’t look particularly sharp either. Count on the Redskins to at least coverin this one and possibly win the game outright. Take the Redskins.