pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

NFL Going Crazy With New Rules: Now 42 yard extra point in the works

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...rd-extra-point

Pretty soon it won't resemble football as we know it. Lets take something that's not broken and everyone loves and try to screw it up as much as we can.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

someone should get fired for even allowing that to go public

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Guys, don't be afraid of change.

The standard extra point is archaic. It's basically a pointless play, as they make over 99%.

This kind of decision would bring more thinking into the game. Thinking is good, you guys should try it.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    someone should get fired for even allowing that to go public
    If this rule gets enforced it will actually cut down on OT's. And you should bet the +1.5 or +2.5 with no need to buy the hook cause if a team scores a TD with little or no time left to try and tie the game the kicker has a much higher chance of missing a 42 yard EP to tie the game. Even if they go for 2 it also helps taking the points. It will change the way lines close for sure. Huge change IMHO.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Guys, don't be afraid of change.

The standard extra point is archaic. It's basically a pointless play, as they make over 99%.

This kind of decision would bring more thinking into the game. Thinking is good, you guys should try it.
    you can change everything that doesn't make sense but it doesnt mean what you change it to makes any more sense

if everyone wants more games decided by the kicker then this makes perfect sense

as for me id prefer for teams to not potentially miss the playoffs because they missed a 1 pt kick that's longer than most 3 pt kicks

The Giant

you can change everything that doesn't make sense but it doesnt mean what you change it to makes any more sense

if everyone wants more games decided by the kicker then this makes perfect sense

as for me id prefer for teams to not potentially miss the playoffs because they missed a 1 pt kick that's longer than most 3 pt kicks
    Good counter argument, Drinker.

Kickers would definitely become more valuable on teams. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Teams with lousy kickers would undoubtedly be going for two more often.

Let's see how this plays out.

I'm predicting we remain status quo.
    Points Awarded:

InTheDrink gave The Giant 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

One reason why games are so exciting is because they're played in accordance to the score. Teams go for 2 after scoring a TD down by 11, etc. Start adding in more variables on how to score and the likelihood games are decided by a FG or are tied with under two minutes left decreases slightly therefore potentially making them less exciting.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Good counter argument, Drinker.

Kickers would definitely become more valuable on teams. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Teams with lousy kickers would undoubtedly be going for two more often.

Let's see how this plays out.

I'm predicting we remain status quo.
    thegiant i sensed a snarky tone in your first post in this thread

thegiant that might have been why my post might have come across that way as well

thegiant im glad we can remain on excellent terms
    Points Awarded:

The Giant gave InTheDrink 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 51625

If they do this, does that mean they will change the yard-line that you must go for 2 from? Otherwise, seems like going for 2 would be the better EV play for sure. Naturally that would mean you would have to announce you're going for 2 ahead of time (unless you wanted to try from the 25 yard line!), and maybe then you could get the ball at the 5 yard line. Don't know, but I personally disagree with most - the extra point rules should be changed. When they are making 99% of them, it doesn't make it very exciting/suspenseful. Why not change it?

The Giant

thegiant i sensed a snarky tone in your first post in this thread

thegiant that might have been why my post might have come across that way as well

thegiant im glad we can remain on excellent terms
    Always.
    Points Awarded:

InTheDrink gave The Giant 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

More crap that will never happen. The NFL just does this to stay in the news.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by ArunSh View Post
    If they do this, does that mean they will change the yard-line that you must go for 2 from? Otherwise, seems like going for 2 would be the better EV play for sure. Naturally that would mean you would have to announce you're going for 2 ahead of time (unless you wanted to try from the 25 yard line!), and maybe then you could get the ball at the 5 yard line. Don't know, but I personally disagree with most - the extra point rules should be changed. When they are making 99% of them, it doesn't make it very exciting/suspenseful. Why not change it?
    I think it changes the outcome of the game. 75% of the games are tied within 2 minutes before end of game. It doesn't make any sense to have the game decided at the end with the guy making $250,000 out of a $125,000,000 salary cap on your team. You just went down the field to score a TD to try and tie the game with no time left and now you are going to have the game decided on a 42 yard FG (which you call an ET). So a team now has to score a TD and make a 42 yard FG just to tie the game and send it to OT.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 344

I'm a traditionalist by heart, but I have learned that change is good for sports sometimes. Look at the NBA. How many people jeered when they brought in the 24 second clock? I remember the rumblings when the 3 point line came in back in 1979. Now many teams structure their offense with it. The 2 point play has not always been in the NFL, but it seems most fans have embraced it now. The change in overtime was "needed" for fairness. I wouldn't mind the extra point being pushed out. More 2 point plays would probably take place, meaning more action on the field. Sometimes strategic changes are good.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

change is great and all but not this shit

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

None of these rules I don't think atr going to get past not even the N-word

lovetobet
    lovetobet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2200

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I think it changes the outcome of the game. 75% of the games are tied within 2 minutes before end of game. It doesn't make any sense to have the game decided at the end with the guy making $250,000 out of a $125,000,000 salary cap on your team. You just went down the field to score a TD to try and tie the game with no time left and now you are going to have the game decided on a 42 yard FG (which you call an ET). So a team now has to score a TD and make a 42 yard FG just to tie the game and send it to OT.
    That can't be right? 75% of games are tied with 2 minutes left, that's not right.

Who cares about how much salary wise a player makes? All 1-2 pt. games coming down to the wire are settled by a FG kick anyway, so kickers are already widely involved at the end of tons of close games. Sheit if you look at the NFL and how close the games are in general kickers already play a huge role in the outcome of games. Plus you're making it sound like a 42yd. FG is some epic feat, the league average on 42yd. FG's is 83%, that's still a pretty fekn high success rate but as others have mentioned it also adds another dimension with going for EP's or 2 pt. conversion. I don't know if this is the answer but it's time to make some change on EP's, a 99.6% success rate is just retarded.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 451

32 yard PAT would be interesting

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

100% agree with the NFL trying to do something other than this boring automatic point.
    Make the play at least have some degree of difficulty. 5 misses out of 1200 just tells you this play is a waste of time and not worth the risk of injuries.
    I like the idea of changing it.
    Tell you one thing, some kickers salaries will be going way up. They instantly become more valuable.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by BennyBigNuts View Post
    100% agree with the NFL trying to do something other than this boring automatic point.
    Make the play at least have some degree of difficulty. 5 misses out of 1200 just tells you this play is a waste of time and not worth the risk of injuries.
    I like the idea of changing it.
    Tell you one thing, some kickers salaries will be going way up. They instantly become more valuable.
    I see the opposite happening. If XPs are only 83%, coaches will go for 2 every time. Kickers become more obsolete.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10250

Final NFL Rule Change
    Why doesn't the NFL only allow armless players and call it soccer??
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: InTheDrink, and pavyracer

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    I see the opposite happening. If XPs are only 83%, coaches will go for 2 every time. Kickers become more obsolete.
    I'm sure they would also adjust the starting point for 2 pt conversions if they do this.
    Would be impossible not to.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by BennyBigNuts View Post
    I'm sure they would also adjust the starting point for 2 pt conversions if they do this.
    Would be impossible not to.
    I guess it is the big question, what they do with the 2 pt. They can't hardly put that at the 25.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

You can't really rush up the middle anymore. That's about the only way to block a EP. Move it to the 12 at least. Two point conversion from the 5.

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Guyz, let's get our pitchforks out, light our torches, and go chase that A-hole Goodell out of town. He's a maniac. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

slacker00

Get rid of the XP. 2 point attempt only. The goal line play is one of the most exciting plays in football.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

This crooked league makes up rules just because of the gambling end. The books got burnt over and over again with shit teams losing spreads by fumbling punts and the other team runs it in to the endzone. All of a sudden ya can't return a fumble punt lol. They got burnt on onside kicks where a shit team who is finally covering kicks it and the other team runs it in for a TD. Now u can't run a onside kick in if u are the team being kicked to. Another lol. The shit they do on fourth downs now where u can't advance a fumble is laughable. Their favorite rule of all is that defensive holding call on 3rd down where it keeps the drive alive for shit teams. If it wasn't for this call D Mcnab would have been out of the league in two years. A wonderful rule to keep drives alive. 5 yards and a first down no matter if u are facing a third and 50. Stunning with gambling involved and trillions on the line world wide, we have some people who actually think everything is on the up and up. I can see if u are 16 to possibly 21 but if u are older than that and believes this con game u might want to look in the mirror and ask urself why are u so naive.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Kickers have more say in the outcome? NO

AchillesTG
    AchillesTG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6000

Blindfold the kicker for more fun! This guy still made a 50 yarder blindfolded, so maybe the Ref will have to spin him around.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-18-14 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Link Not Working - Removed-)

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

bad for vegas won't even happen

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    bad for vegas won't even happen
    Every change is good for Vegas. The average meatball doesn't know how to adjust.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11029

this is absolutely STUPID. to from 19 yds to 42 yds is clearly, absolutely clearly, way too much of an extreme.

moving it 10 or 12 more yards is one thing, but 23 yards more is just stupid

make it 29 or 31, max 33 yds.

most coaches will opt for the 2 point conversion instead of a 42 yder and it will screw up the game