slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Super Bowl XLVIII officiating crew analysis.

We don't talk enough about handicapping the officials. With two weeks to go before the last game of the NFL season, this is a great time to examine how the officials will effect the game. Let's get at it:

Terry McAulay (referee)
    Carl Paganelli (umpire)
    Jim Mello (head linesman)
    Tom Symonette (line judge)
    Scott Steenson (field judge)
    Dave Wyant (side judge)
    Steve Freeman
    (back judge)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-bowl-xlviii/

amrit
    amrit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1613

Nice...Terry McAulay will let'em play...hopefully we don't see too many stupid PI and holding calls against Seattle. GO SEAHAWKS!

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Seattle is the most penalized team in the NFL. Denver is #5. Seattle is penalized for the most yards per game. Denver is #6. If you are planninbg to take Seattle, you had better be prepared for the fact that Seattle is the team more likely to lose a big play because of penalty. Remember the only reason why Seattle is playing in the big game is because San Francisco gave them a "free play" on the final Seattle TD pass.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Ron Winter is the worst ref in the game.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Definitely my biggest concern going into this gm without a doubt. These zebras are given extra leverage to interpret a gm their own way instead of just sticking to the rules as they are written. I think when the league needs a script to end a certain way on a big gm like this they know which ones to assign. Will the league let Seattle's secondary play their style and disrupt Denver's pass gm? If they call a tight gm gonna definitely have an impact and no way Dilfer Jr beats Manning td for td.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    Definitely my biggest concern going into this gm without a doubt. These zebras are given extra leverage to interpret a gm their own way instead of just sticking to the rules as they are written. I think when the league needs a script to end a certain way on a big gm like this they know which ones to assign. Will the league let Seattle's secondary play their style and disrupt Denver's pass gm? If they call a tight gm gonna definitely have an impact and no way Dilfer Jr beats Manning td for td.
    Seattle's style? You mean grabbing receivers after 5 yards which in other words is defensive pass interference?

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Yes C-Gold they are big, dirty and physical but been getting away with it all year lol. If refs rip a few quick flags on them and send a msg they will have to play it more s/u. That's the beauty of the gm in some ways I guess for to mix things up giving these officials the right to call a gm how they want to a degree. But that does not mean it's always within the "rules". Sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad just depends on which side you are betting haha.

comon kryptonite
    comon kryptonite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 673

jeff triplette is no genius either!!!lol

Parligod
    Parligod's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1760

Great thread slacker this is the type of analysis very necessary to capping a game IMO.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by amrit View Post
    Nice...Terry McAulay will let'em play...hopefully we don't see too many stupid PI and holding calls against Seattle. GO SEAHAWKS!
    My first thoughts as well.

Stevedore
    Stevedore's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4435

Any tendencies as far as defensive holding or illegal pick plays run by receivers? I don't see Manning getting anything outside the numbers on Seattle's corners, just too good; damage will be done on crossing routes and how those routes are officiated will play a big role in the outcome of this game.

crazykind
    crazykind's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

The refs already affected Seattle's only other Super Bowl appearance, you think the NFL wants to hear a referee say this again after a title game?

“I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game and as an official you never want to do that. It left me with a lot of sleepless nights and I think about it constantly. I’ll go to my grave wishing that I’d been better.”

- Bill Leavy on his calls in Super Bowl XL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/06/four-years-later-bill-leavy-apologizes-to-seahawks/

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Seattle is the most penalized team in the NFL. Denver is #5. Seattle is penalized for the most yards per game. Denver is #6. If you are planninbg to take Seattle, you had better be prepared for the fact that Seattle is the team more likely to lose a big play because of penalty. Remember the only reason why Seattle is playing in the big game is because San Francisco gave them a "free play" on the final Seattle TD pass.

slacker00

I've been digging around a little bit today. Some interesting stuff, still digging though.

McAulay was the ref for Peyton's last college game, a 42-17 loss to Nebraska in the Orange Bowl.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Orange_Bowl

McAulay reffed the Saints Seahawks divisional game, SEA@AZ week 6 and DEN@DAL week 5.

I also found it interesting, Back Judge Steve Freeman played 13 seasons in the NFL as a DB, 134 starts for the Bills.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

CBS sports line pointed out something very interesting regarding Richard Sherman. Sherman got 4 picks this year off of very obvious grabbing calls. If they Refs allow the Broncos receivers to push off then it's fair game if they decided to swallow holding calls. Pass interference are not common in the Super bowl so hopefully they let them play both ways.

Jakenv21
    Update your status
    Jakenv21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6714

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    I've been digging around a little bit today. Some interesting stuff, still digging though.

McAulay was the ref for Peyton's last college game, a 42-17 loss to Nebraska in the Orange Bowl.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Orange_Bowl

McAulay reffed the Saints Seahawks divisional game, SEA@AZ week 6 and DEN@DAL week 5.

I also found it interesting, Back Judge Steve Freeman played 13 seasons in the NFL as a DB, 134 starts for the Bills.
    I find this interesting as well but what exactly are you implying?

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by Jakenv21 View Post
    I find this interesting as well but what exactly are you implying?
    I'm trying my absolute best not to imply anything. I'm trying to provoke thought and discussion about these refs.

Jakenv21
    Update your status
    Jakenv21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6714

Well then Slack, my first thought was maybe he'll let the DB's get away with more since he knows what it's like.