stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

That hit on Gronk

Was a direct result of the new 'targeting' rules.
    Defenders are so concerned about going high, they now are forced to go low.
    This is just the beginning, you will see many more big time receivers go down due to knees getting chopped.
    Defenders have no choice.
    Wait, the NFL will change the rules to you can only hit between the waist and shoulders, and the 'N' in NFL will be changed from National to Nanc-boi

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I've said this all year. You started seeing it early in college once the kids were being tossed from the game. The safety for the Redskins went on a tirade about the rule a few weeks ago and the media blew it off...then someone like Zolak goes bananas when a superstar is hurt and it finally gets attention. Damn shame it took an injury to a top player for it to raise some eyebrows.

NFL is going to have to ease up on the rule.

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I've said this all year. You started seeing it early in college once the kids were being tossed from the game. The safety for the Redskins went on a tirade about the rule a few weeks ago and the media blew it off...then someone like Zolak goes bananas when a superstar is hurt and it finally gets attention. Damn shame it took an injury to a top player for it to raise some eyebrows.

or go back to the old days where everything was legal

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

anybody got the gif?

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Tj ward. Was a clean hit

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

zo is a cool guy...def a guy youd want to party with.....but hes such a homer its ridic(although i listen sparingly).....

being a defensive back was always a tough job....but as this league progresses its getting even harder....passing games are as complex as ever....these safeties are penalized for being a step late or a step early.....its like the league expects these guys, who play a game that is so fast and complex, to be able to stop in their tracks and make a nice clean hit all of the time

im a diehard/lifelong pats fan....it is what it is....no hard feelings....just unfortunate for the pats to lose a weapon like that after all of the other stuff theyve been going through

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6858

just let them play... they sign up to play football at the highest level they should learn to live with the possible effects of it down the road

the only thing that should be flagged is a direct helmet to helmet smash job on a WR... they are throwing all these flags whenever guys do the right thing and lead with their shoulder.

drew brees gets hit in the shoulder area, not on his helmet and it ends up giving an extra life to Saints and they end up beating san fran

the safety knows if he just tries to drag big old Gronk down by wrapping him up around the waist that he is more likely to not make the tackle or get dragged by Gronk another 5 yards... the quickest way to get him down is take out the lower legs, if he even appears to go high then out comes a flag.

never worried about this shit in the late 90s or even 10 years ago.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeem5 View Post
    Tj ward. Was a clean hit
    100 percent clean and legal

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Gronk should retire already

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    the safety knows if he just tries to drag big old Gronk down by wrapping him up around the waist that he is more likely to not make the tackle or get dragged by Gronk another 5 yards... the quickest way to get him down is take out the lower legs, if he even appears to go high then out comes a flag.

never worried about this shit in the late 90s or even 10 years ago.
    Graham too, takes a tug boat to bring him down.

I'm was a kid when Golic played, I remember some of the hits he delivered on the opposing O-line.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Gronk should retire already
    He's 24 for the love of God

k4cowboys4k
    k4cowboys4k's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

DJ Swearinger had a very similar hit on Dustin Keller of the Dolphins in the preseason ending his season.

When asked about it he said, "In this league, you've got to go low. If you go high, you're going to get a fine.."

".. I would think you'd rather have more concussions than leg injuries. Leg injury, you can't come back from that. A concussion, you be back in a couple of weeks."

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I agree with the premise of this thread 100%.

I disagree in detail. I feel like the only way to tackle Gronk is down low. Guy is huge. You don't tackle this guy, especially as a secondary player, up high.

... and I just realized TopMoron made the same point.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    He's 24 for the love of God
    Andy roddick retired at 30.

i'm just saying if Gronk isnt careful he is going to wind up in a wheel chair by the time he is 30.

he gets hurt a lot