C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

If you were starting a team, JJ Watt is the #1 defender off the board.

If you were starting a team, he's the #1 defender off the board.

He's 24, 6'5, 290 pure muscle and athletic. In his second NFL season he led the NFL in sacks with 20.5. That's not as an edge rusher, he was a 5 technique DE in a 3-4 which is more like a defensive tackle. Even 10 or 12 sacks from that position would be pro bowl caliber. Add in 81 tackles, 69 solo. 4 forced fumbles. He also had 16 deflected passes which was by far the most as a lineman. The #2 was Corey Liuget with 9 deflected passes, and the #3 was many tied with 7. He's redefining the way his position is played.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

How many playoff games did the Texans win?

You never start a team with defense. You always start a team with a QB. The QB is the admiral, and the field marshal of your franchise.

C-Gold

If you were starting a team you obviously want the best QB #1, but the first defender to come off the board would be JJ Watt.

Also if the NFL decided to shake it up and have a giant re-Draft, the QB's would all be taken first but once the big boys are taken off the board then at some point you have to think about the non QB's. Would you rather have Josh Freeman in the late 1st round or JJ Watt? If you take Watt in round 1 then what kind of QB are you looking at later? You might say I'd rather have a Kirk Cousins type guy later and have the #1 defender than have Freeman and a drop off on defense.

The point is that Watt would be the first defender off the board. He was the best defender in the league last year and he's only 24. The weird thing is I don't think he can statistically surpass the year he had last year.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

JJ Watts numbers are a fluke. He plays twice the Jaguars, Titans, and Colts which are all mediocre or bad teams. Then he plays the Patriots and his defense lits up like a Christmas tree.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    JJ Watts numbers are a fluke. He plays twice the Jaguars, Titans, and Colts which are all mediocre or bad teams. Then he plays the Patriots and his defense lits up like a Christmas tree.
    I don't think he will ever get 20.5 sacks again but he was clearly the most disruptive defender in the league last year and he's 24.

He's playing 3-4 DE. I mean you could triple team him if you want, and then what's he supposed to do? What is he supposed to do if his secondary sucks? and what about the patriots offensive stats getting padded playing against the Jets/Bills/Fins all those years?