Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Rob Parker Needs to Go

http://deadspin.com/5968256/rob-park...rnball-brother

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...es-not-really/

Anybody catch this? What a bum. Guys have been fired for much less in my opinion.

Just set race-relations in America back 25 years.

I could go on for quite some time on how much this disturbs me, but I'll just ask - what do you guys think. Would especially like to hear from some African-American posters.

coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

First Take is one of the worst things to happen to ESPN in a long time.

It's like the morons try to out-do each other with ridiculous comments because they know they will get recognition and publicity
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RudyRuetigger

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

As I said in a different thread, he makes his living, literally, by being a "shock jock." Whether or not he believes what he says is irrelevant. He's worked his way up from Detroit to a national audience by saying stupid shit and having everyone get their panties in a bunch over it.

Ignore him and he will go away. React and he wins.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

That's bad, personally I can't stand Jemele Hill cause she will pull the race card in the dumbest situations.

The dude basically says that blacks are inferior, his entire comment is because RG3 is one of the few intelligent African American Qb's. Regardless of color, dumb QB's don't succeed in the NFL.
    Points Awarded:

t-wizzle gave tto827 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Lol fukkin moron. What a stupid television show. That show jumped the shark last year.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    That's bad, personally I can't stand Jemele Hill cause she will pull the race card in the dumbest situations.
    They're basically the same person, except one has a vagina (not sure which, though).

The Detroit papers must be proud.

tto827

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    They're basically the same person, except one has a vagina (not sure which, though).

The other difference I see, is Jemele blames other races for the race card, where as Rob Parker excludes blacks who aren't "hood".

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

when African Americans do shyt like that, they wonder why white people are still racist?

cause RGIII is a black man who is educated, and has a wife finance... it means hes not hood?

thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard..

now if a white guy said that he would be fired immediately...
    imagine scott van pelt saying rgIII acts white and isnt hood..

he'd be fired before the next commerical..

arent both his parents black?
    who cares if he is a republican?

unreal...

guy is a sports reporter... worry about how he plays qb and not... his views on government.. or how hood he is...

could you imagine if your a white man and said to a black woman.. your too educated to be a "real" black, your not hood enough...

is rob parker even hood?
    if it i was in a bad neck of the woods, I would rather be with RGIII than rob parker
    Last edited by ebbearsfb1; 12-13-12 at 04:23 PM.

tto827

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    when African Americans do shyt like that, they wonder why white people are still racist?

cause RGIII is a black man who is educated, and has a wife finance... it means hes not hood?

thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard..

now if a white guy said that he would be fired immediately...
    imagine scott van pelt saying rgIII acts white and isnt hood..

he'd be fired before the next commerical..

unreal...

could you imagine if your a white man and said to a black woman.. your too educated to be a "real" black, your not hood enough...
    Well said, hard to tip-toe this line without coming across as racist yourself, but you did a pretty good job there.

Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

I guess this bothers me profoundly in at least ten different ways and I got to run, so I won't be able to do this justice, but...

RG3 does not need to be vetted by anyone. He is a man of substance and character. He is a hell of a qb and a great athlete. What's the problem here?

One thing that I truly feel for is, that so many African-Americans really want a great Black QB. I get it. On one hand - because of the racial bigotry and prejudices of the the past, unfortunately - this has become a real loaded subject and really, in the sport's world is as every bit as important to the Black journalist as hiring more Black coaches in college football: the success of the Black Quarterback....

I hate that it has to be this way. How it is even hard to be objective with respects to RG3 and other Black Qb's. Tom Jackson and others looked legitimately sad that Cousins came in and had success last week and that RG3 keeps getting hurt.

Later on in the discussion, Parker, I believe, mentioned the Barber Shop and what they would have to say about him. And while I appreciate "The Barbershop" and their voice of the street in a lot of things, they are not always right. Here's a thought - they too can evolve and help the country move forward. They are not de facto infallible on all things concerning the African-American Community and all things race related.

eastern2
    eastern2's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post

The Detroit papers fired him along time ago - couldn't believe espn hired him - he got fired for taking a cheap at marinelli during the 0-16 yr

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Here is the problem....rob takes what is spoken in the barbershops and then put it on the air.....which is taboo....what said in the barbershop stays in the barbershop. This not the 1st time he has done this.

onacloud
    onacloud's Avatar Become A Pro!

So is Rob Parker is black?

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

The irony is Rob Parker is a "cornball brotha" himself

He ain't hood

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

True... rob not really about this life!!!!!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Grits n' Gravy

woodsy5822
    woodsy5822's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1212

hes a stupid penetrate... would love to beat the shit out of him

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Rob is doing whatever it takes to keep relevant. Whether it be saying completely outlandish shit, to mugging for camera time. He has no shame.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

ya i saw it earlier, pathetic, no coin is right to a degree but espn should can him for this, they wont though.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

According to Rob Parker, blacks can't be Republicans?

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    The irony is Rob Parker is a "cornball brotha" himself

He ain't hood
    bingo, thats the funniest thing about this whole thing. acts like he lives on the streets.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Imagine if Skip Bayless was angry that Andrew Luck voted for Obama and wasn't down with the "white cause"?

He'd be fired in about 2 seconds

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

all black sports commentators outside of mike tirico and james brown are low-life race baiters

The Giant

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Imagine if Skip Bayless was angry that Andrew Luck voted for Obama and wasn't down with the "white cause"?

He'd be fired in about 2 seconds
    I don't think it would take that long.

The Giant

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
    all black sports commentators outside of mike tirico and james brown are low-life race baiters
    Harold Reynolds is pretty good, too.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

show sucks now. the topics are so dumb. "is robert griffin hood enough?" no probably not, and blacks will resent him soon. who gives a fuk though

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

I have two Aunts who are both Republicans.

People need to learn the difference between correlation, and causation.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

Harold Reynolds is pretty good, too.
    yeah, he's great. glad he was able to get back in the business after his espn screw job.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post

http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/hold-the-phone-mike-tirico-isnt-black/

Local African-American groups often invite him to speak during Black History Month and on other occasions, viewing Tirico as a prominent example of a successful black professional. He doesn’t mind speaking, Tirico tells them, but he also lets them know a fact of his life: He’s not sure he’s black. ”When people go around and say, ‘You are black’ – well, I don’t encourage it, but by the same token I don’t back off of it,” he says. ”If you want to call me that, that’s fine. But, you know, in my whole family, there’s nobody I know who is black.” Raised in Queens Michael Todd Tirico grew up in a middle-class Italian family in Queens, about a five-minute drive from Shea Stadium.

Mike Tirico is not black??

mngambler
    mngambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3057

racism exists today because of media influence including tards like this guy that won't SHUT THE F*CK up about racism, nobody wants racism to exist but yet we all wanna talk about it everyday on the news, newspapers, internet, etc

ROYAJA8
    ROYAJA8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 257

Stephen Smith was actually embarrassed about his stupid ass comments. Can't believe he actually said all that dumb shitt, fire his punkass.

NOboy
    NOboy's Avatar Become A Pro!

I was eating breakfast watching this and it completely caught me off guard. I couldn't stand him before but this was just out of hand and Stephen A's reaction was priceless. I feel rob parker is completely ignorant and has no idea what he talks about. In almost every debate about black people he brings up race and the 'barbershop' scenario.

spurginobili
    Llano Estacado
    spurginobili's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21681

Yeah, I can't stand him....when he's on I'll either hit the mute button or turn the channel

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Well said, hard to tip-toe this line without coming across as racist yourself, but you did a pretty good job there.
    Thanks.. I'm white.. girlfriend is black... like you said it's a tough line.. doesn't come up in our relationship..she's successful and well educated guess it means her and her family aren't hood Enough for rob parker?

I thought the goal for any person is to be successful no matter what the race is .. to get from the bottom to top

..he is the last person on espn I'd consider hood...

What does being hood mean rob parker?

Being uneducated.. voting democratic ?
    Having 1or no parents? (Rgiii has 2 military parents)

Unreal.. needs to think before he speaks

Anyone who is a successful black person should want this jerkoff canned

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

Look...being hood is not about if u got 2 parents or if u republican......it is not about a college degree or high school diploma.....all its really means is are you connected to streets.....know cats who got square jobs but hood about that underground shyt........shyt brock landers more hood than most dudes

dmtrader
    dmtrader's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2107

For the record:

Rob Parker is from NYC and was a news and radio reporter in Detroit for a few years. He was routinely suspended and eventually forced to resign over fallacious and unprofessional comments he made while in Detroit.

Jemele Hill was born in Detroit and attended Michigan State. She also has been disciplined several times (at ESPN) because of inappropriate comments that were not overtly racist. She has been known to make comments that are racially offensive.

Mike Tirico was born in Ann Arbor, MI and resides there now with his wife and family (he has season tickets for Detroit Tigers games and I've seen him there many times). He is not known for making racially incendiary remarks, but there is a rumor (supported by an unauthorized ESPN biography) that he was suspended for a short time for sexual harassment.

12 Last