TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

I'm convinced teams are subliminally affected by the spreads

How else can you explain games such as the Rams/49ers?

Towards the end of a game they realize they aren't supposed to win and will sabotage the game. Kickoff return fumble, then let a team drive the field for a game tying fg in a little over a minute with a backup QB, then go to overtime and illegally formate on a 90 yd most likely game winning pass play, then delay of game when the kicker makes the game winning fg even though they have a time out so he kicks 5 yds further back and misses.

This is far from an isolated incident. Everyone with any sense knew there was no way the Bills were going to make that game winning drive against the Pats. Two of their players get injured on the drive so they have to use their 2 timeouts?! WTF is that? Self sabotage.

Happens so often with >3 point underdogs I really think the spreads affect the players.

Can I get an Amen

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree. However I don't think there's anything subliminal at all.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Get some sleep, Centaur. When Mikail is agreeing with you, you know your thought-process is a little off.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Yeah, when a player is trying to focus on the formation, if he's in or out, what his assignment is, etc....I'm sure they worry about the spread.

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

I'm convinced your dumb

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S

I wouldn't pay attention to any weirdos with Dr. Phil as their avatar.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S

yeah cuz anyone who questions things that don't add up in games is a dummy.

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail View Post
    yeah cuz anyone who questions things that don't add up in games is a dummy.
    Well if your an adult and use kids thinking/reasoning then yeah you should be considered a dummy.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Yeah, when a player is trying to focus on the formation, if he's in or out, what his assignment is, etc....I'm sure they worry about the spread.
    That's what I'm saying, they aren't consciously thinking of it, but subliminally they know they are supposed to sabotage when in a winning position. If you think this is bull shit ask any psychiatrist about self destructive patterns of degenerate gamblers, drug addicts, etc.

These guys out there on the field are mostly mental children getting paid millions of dollars, and time after time do incredibly dumb shit to cost their team, such as throw away the ball before crossing the goal line, punching Cortland Finnegan to get moved out of game winning field goal range, and countless other instances that happen every week.

With this type of mental weakness and instability, I don't think self sabotage at crucial moments due to a consensus that you should lose is out of the question. I think it is most evident in big point spreads. The way these big underdogs find ways to lose time after time is shocking but predictable.

WTF man haven't you seen "Inception"

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    That's what I'm saying, they aren't consciously thinking of it, but subliminally they know they are supposed to sabotage when in a winning position. If you think this is bull shit ask any psychiatrist about self destructive patterns of degenerate gamblers, drug addicts, etc.

These guys out there on the field are mostly mental children getting paid millions of dollars, and time after time do incredibly dumb shit to cost their team, such as throw away the ball before crossing the goal line, punching Cortland Finnegan to get moved out of game winning field goal range, and countless other instances that happen every week.

With this type of mental weakness and instability, I don't think self sabotage at crucial moments due to a consensus that you should lose is out of the question. I think it is most evident in big point spreads. The way these big underdogs find ways to lose time after time is shocking but predictable.

WTF man haven't you seen "Inception"
    Totally agree.....all a coach has to do is say in a meeting.."hey they disrespecting you ..they are favorite by_______". What the coach or whomever has implanted it in the the team Psyche.....humans are weak organism and can be control.

Frisco
    Frisco's Avatar Become A Pro!

I blame Buffalo Wild Wings.
    Points Awarded:

Monitor-Tan gave Frisco 4 SBR Point(s) for this post.

trytrytry gave Frisco 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

rumnblack
    rumnblack's Avatar Become A Pro!

They earn millions per-year and you think they're worried about gamblers?

You need to talk to some pro footballers.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by rumnblack View Post
    They earn millions per-year and you think they're worried about gamblers?

You need to talk to some pro footballers.
    WTF people

sub·lim·i·nal (sb-lm-nl)adj. Psychology 1. Below the threshold of conscious perception. Used of stimuli.

2. Inadequate to produce conscious awareness but able to evoke a response

TheCentaur

I would love to run an experiment in which a control group of teams had no access to outside opinion or media about their games, only what the coach gave them.

This coach would then supply them with internet sites, fake sportscasts, made up newspapers showing them to be favored by a range of poinstpreads when in reality they are underdogs. I'm not saying their results would be in line with being the favorite but I wonder if it would be significantly better than if the true spread was known to them.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

I would love to run an experiment in which a control group of teams had no access to outside opinion or media about their games, only what the coach gave them.

This coach would then supply them with internet sites, fake sportscasts, made up newspapers showing them to be favored by a range of poinstpreads when in reality they are underdogs. I'm not saying their results would be in line with being the favorite but I wonder if it would be significantly better than if the true spread was known to them.
    You have too much time on your hands.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by boeing power View Post
    You have too much time on your hands.
    That's what they said to Einstein and Edison bowlingpowder

Actually I do though

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

If this were the case then no big dogs would ever win straight up.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by smoke a bowl View Post
    If this were the case then no big dogs would ever win straight up.
    This happens no doubt, but nowhere close to as often as a big dog being in position to win inexplicably donks away the game.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    u owe me a new Laptop thanks my mouth full of diet soda came out my nose all over it...

Frisco
    Frisco's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    u owe me a new Laptop thanks my mouth full of diet soda came out my nose all over it...
    F U man. I just had my screen burn out on mine so not getting any sympathy from me!!

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

I'm convinced teams are subliminally affected by the spreads.................
    I really think the spreads affect the players.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

You are getting sleepy...

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Might be some truth to it.....

Teams that are in position to win straight up as medium-big underdogs predictably choke the game away way more often than they should.....I see it all the time

Northwestern against Michigan and La Lafayette against Florida in college ball this weekend off the top of my head

hougigo
    hougigo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Even though the spread was like 13.5 points

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Actually I think the way teams play effect the spreads.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by BiTeMe UsAdOj View Post
    Biteme I sense that you are playing it off as a joke but secretly you have had a sports betting epiphany from this info.

Let's take the hot girl in your GIF for example.

If you had the chance to have a conversation with her and try to get somewhere imagine it under two scenarios:

Under one scenario you had heard from a friend of hers that she had noticed you earlier and wanted to know who you were. Under this scenario you have the conversation with her, have a sparkle in your eye as you compliment her and crack jokes, and towards the end as an ex boyfriend buts in giving you a dirty look and trying to pull her aside and have a conversation you confidently tell him you were in the middle of a conversation and he'll have to wait. You penetrate her senseless that night.

Under another scenario you heard from a friend of hers that she isn't very fond of those in the construction business and curiously is known to hold a bit of an outdated disdain for Irish Americans. You want her just as much as in the first scenario, you talk and joke and seem to be making progress, but her ex boyfriend butts in and you sense she really wasn't interested in you, she was just trying to make him jealous. You try to muster up the courage to tell him to back off but it takes so much concentration you forget to suppress a rather noisy smelly fart you had felt coming on. That's pretty much the end of that, but it was never really supposed to happen anyway so you don't feel too badly.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SlickRick1382

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Biteme I sense that you are playing it off as a joke but secretly you have had a sports betting epiphany from this info.
    How I wish it were true...

... but unfortunately, and rather sadly, I have not.

Let's take the hot girl in your GIF for example.

If you had the chance to have a conversation with her and try to get somewhere imagine it under two scenarios:

Under one scenario you had heard from a friend of hers that she had noticed you earlier and wanted to know who you were. Under this scenario you have the conversation with her, have a sparkle in your eye as you compliment her and crack jokes, and towards the end as an ex boyfriend buts in giving you a dirty look and trying to pull her aside and have a conversation you confidently tell him you were in the middle of a conversation and he'll have to wait. You penetrate her senseless that night.

Under another scenario you heard from a friend of hers that she isn't very fond of those in the construction business and curiously is known to hold a bit of an outdated disdain for Irish Americans. You want her just as much as in the first scenario, you talk and joke and seem to be making progress, but her ex boyfriend butts in and you sense she really wasn't interested in you, she was just trying to make him jealous. You try to muster up the courage to tell him to back off but it takes so much concentration you forget to suppress a rather noisy smelly fart you had felt coming on. That's pretty much the end of that, but it was never really supposed to happen anyway so you don't feel too badly.
    Respectfully, Cent... your example is specious.

(Which explains why some like SlickRick "fall for it".)

Your example is specious on more than one level but let's deal with the most glaring, which is: While the information you suggest would be very important to me in the scenarios you describe, the information about the spreads are not similarly important to the players.

The information described would be important to me in the forefront of thought, as well as subliminally. This is simply not the case with the players regarding spreads (either forefront or subliminal).

***And the deemed importance of this information is the crucial key to how actions would unfold for both players and I.***

Indeed, many an ex-player, coach, sportscaster/reporter has gone on record stating the fact that an alarming percentage of players really don't care if they win or lose. They have various other (some obvious) motivations.

I'm afraid, my friend, that you are an unwitting victim to Apophenia... which is beyond common amongst gamblers.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

(Which explains why some like SlickRick "fall for it".)

Your example is specious on more than one level but let's deal with the most glaring, which is: While the information you suggest would be very important to me in the scenarios you describe, the information about the spreads are not similarly important to the players.

The information described would be important to me in the forefront of thought, as well as subliminally. This is simply not the case with the players regarding spreads (either forefront or subliminal).

***And the deemed importance of this information is the crucial key to how actions would unfold for both players and I.***

Indeed, many an ex-player, coach, sportscaster/reporter has gone on record stating the fact that an alarming percentage of players really don't care if they win or lose. They have various other (some obvious) motivations.

I'm afraid, my friend, that you are an unwitting victim to Apophenia... which is beyond common amongst gamblers.
    PaulyPoker takes the cake in falling victim to Apophenia, the guy tried to convince me that even if SBR consensus is proven wrong, there is still things to be learned from it.

TheCentaur

There is no doubt anymore

(Big underdogs with leads or in great position to win this bowl season like Nevada and Duke)
    Last edited by TheCentaur; 12-27-12 at 10:29 PM.

TheCentaur

If you acknowledge that a home crowd gives a psychological advantage to a home team, then why wouldn't public expectations?

yahoonino
    yahoonino's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1461

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post

TheCentaur

Minnesota Golden Goophers

TheCentaur

76ers tonight losing to the Nuggets. Up 5 with 14 seconds left. Lose in regulation. 15 point dogs

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

76ers tonight losing to the Nuggets. Up 5 with 14 seconds left. Lose in regulation. 15 point dogs
    Davidson as well today.....Complete choke at the end

Even though not huge underdog from the odds, they were a 14 vs 3 seed

TheCentaur

Nba 4/9/13

Name:  cavs.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  7.7 KB
    Last edited by TheCentaur; 04-09-13 at 09:15 PM.

12 Last