Cross44
    Update your status
    Cross44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 698

Cross44's Week 10 NFL Handicapping - Preview & Picks

Year-To-Date: 13 – 8 – 1 (+11.6u), Last Week: 5 – 4 (+6.2u)
    - Home Team Listed Second
    - All spreads from 5dimes

Indianapolis Colts (-3) @ Jacksonville Jaguars – Thursday Night Game
    Despite Indy’s action starting at (-125), the public is still overwhelmingly (88%) in their favor. This is a Vegas trap game, with it’s classic misdirection of limelight on the seemingly glowing Colts, who just earned their 3rd straight win,versus a (1-6) Jacksonville team on the tail-end of a 0-5 losing streak. In fact, Jacksonville is in the worst 5 teams statistically, both on offense and defense. So what’s the argument here? How can you justify any money on the Jaguars? The logic is rather simple: Vegas really,really wants you to be on the Colts. Vegas, historically, has made your bankroll her bitch. Vegas knows more than you do.
    Play: Lean Jacksonville

Buffalo Bills (+10.5) @ New England Patriots – Sunday Morning Games
    This is a tough one. The Bills played well against Houston last week, staying within a touchdown until the fourth quarter, despite a (-1) turnover gap. Double digit favorites are 6:4 this year against the spread, and the Bills are probably the best of the despicable dogs. However, let’s not forget this is New England they’re playing. The team that outscored them 45 to 14 in the second half of their week 4 match-up. The team that was throwing the ball up four touchdowns against the Rams. The Patriots are a bloodthirsty & soulless juggernaut on offense, and I don’t see value on either side of this game.
    Play: PASS

New York Giants (-4) @ Cincinnati Bengals
    Both of these teams are coming off a series of close games, with the Giants winning most of theirs and the Bengals losing all of theirs. This game is very similar to the Indy/Jacksonville game in terms of where the public stands, with 89% on the Giants. Why’s the line so close? Because Eli Manning historically reverts to a lemon 20% of the time, and the Bengals have a capable offensive linethat should be able to handle the Giants pass rush. But Joe Public in me is hollering at this one. The Giants are 3:1 ATS on the road, while the Bengals are 1-2 ATS at home, and Andy Dalton has the same INT as TD last 5 games at 8 a piece. I think Vegas is giving the Bengals too much credit. A medium play is in order here before the line jumps higher.
    Play: Giants (-4) -110 x2u

San Diego Chargers (+3) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Incredible. Vegas has the Chargers as a 40:1 favorite to win the Superbowl and Tampa as a 135:1 favorite. Yes, the Chargers have a slightly easier schedule, but it’s clear which 4-4 team Vegas thinks is better in the long run. The pubic is divided 70:30 at this point in favor of the Bucs. All signs point to a pass, but two factors are grinding against my logic. 1.) Phillip Rivers is on the sharp decline, and the numbers are deceptive of just how much he’s fallen off. 2.) Tampa has looked phenomenal the past two weeks on offense, and the numbers haven’t caught up. I see a high-scoring shootout where the side that doesn’t have Norv Turner wins.
    Play: Tampa Bay (-3) -110 x2u

Denver Broncos (-4) @ Carolina Panthers
    As much as I love watching my man Peyton play, the phrase I would use to describe Denver would be: efficient but frail. The Panthers, despite being a horrific 2-6 ATS this year, and losing 6 games, have played them all tough and lost several close games due to a combination of bad coaching and QB decision making. The Broncos have been narrowly winning against the line for the past few weeks, and I think they are ripe for a disappointment, especially with 90% of the public thinking otherwise.
    Play: Lean Carolina

Tennessee Titans (+6) @ Miami Dolphins
    I don’t have a good grasp of either of these teams. I can easily see Dolphins covering and just as easily with a narrow win.

Oakland Raiders (+7.5) @ Baltimore Ravens
    The public hasn’t adjusted to the fact that the team that almost won the 2012 AFC Championship has little in common with this year’s Ravens. The Ravens are still getting close to 80% of the public action, despite looking very shaky their past 3 weeks (including Bye). The Raiders on your other hand are a below average team with an above average offense. Carson Palmer is certainty experienced and capable, and I can see this being a close game down the stretch. I think the public is on a “favorites” binge after last week’s blowout of Vegas, and I think this is a game where it’s going to bite them. The Raiders are not the _____ (insert Chiefs, Cardinals, Titans)
    Play: Lean Raiders

Atlanta Falcons (-1) @ New Orleans Saints
    I put 2 units on the Falcons as soon as this line became available Tuesday at (-115), and it’s already at (-125). If you look at the history of the rivalry, you can assume this year will be another high scoring affair. However, the Atlanta Defense has dramatically improved while the Saints defense has dramatically worsened. The White/Julio WR combo has been on fire all year and there’s no reason it won’t continue against the worst defense in football. And even the inconsistent Michael Turner (who played well against Dallas) may have a 100 yard game against the Saint’s embarrassing run defense. Vegas has undervalued the Falcons all year, undermining the importance of a phenomenal passing offense in today’s game, and the Falcons are 6-2 ATS. All this adds up for me to follow the Falcons one more week, despite their 80% public backing.
    Play: Falcons (-1) -115 x2u

New York Jets (+6.5) @ Seattle Seahawks – Sunday Afternoon Games
    I don’t have a feel for this game, other than sensing the line is pretty spot-on.

Dallas (-1) @ Philadelphia
    Another Vegas trap, pushing the action onto Dallas. The Cowboys are not a good team this year, and the public hasn’t quite caught on to just how bad they are. Nevertheless, how can anyone put any more money on Vick ever again? There’s just something spooky about the Eagles patented 90+ yard turnover touchdowns, and I think Vick, Reid, and the Eagles are cursed. Some meta-physical chemistry is off, and they are a disaster to watch on the field. Nevertheless, did you know the Eagles were a 60% favorite to win the Saints game up until Vick threw that fateful INT that got returned 99 yards? On-the other hand, Michael Vick in the red zone this year reminds me of a fumbling teenage boy trying to get into their super-religious girlfriend’s pants, it just ain’t gonna happen buddy, there are higher powers at play here. Can you tell I’m divided?

St. Louis Rams (+11) @ San Francisco 49ers
    Double digit favorites are something like 6-4 ATS this year, and St. Louis is not quite as bad as the other teams granted the double-digit dishonorable distinction (I am not editing that, suck it). While I would love to fade the public in this game (70% on San Fan), the truth is the 49ers look deadly this year on both sides of the ball, and I do not have the testicular fortitude to take the bait.

Houston Texans (+1) @ Chicago Bears
    Fact: The Texans are the Vegas favorites to win the Superbowl (+525). Less-then-sure-fact: The Texans are top 5 on both sides of the ball this year, while Chicago’s stupendous defense has been held back by Smokin’ Jay Culter’s offense. The public is divided 56% Houston 44% Chicago, so the entire wager comes down to this: do you think the electrifying, once-in-a-lifetime Chicago defense, on their own turf, can shut down the super-efficient Texan’s workhorse? I think for this particular game, on this particular sunday night… yes they will.
    Play: Chicago Bears (-1) -110 x3u

Kansas City Chiefs (+12) @ Pittsburgh Steelers
    My bet for least watched MNF game this year. This one is easy for me. I am not going to consider the Chiefs. I am not going to consider a double-digit favorite who isn’t New England either.

Last Week's Picks:
    http://xing44.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/2012week9review/
    Last edited by Cross44; 11-07-12 at 08:39 AM.

WinningIsKeY
    WinningIsKeY's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nice info here. Really looking at Giants and Bears right now .. Thanks for some insight

Frisco
    Frisco's Avatar Become A Pro!

nice write up. agree on everything except your Bears pick. think Texans will generate enough offense to win that game (barring Peanut Tillman forcing 4 fumbles lol). Panthers are a really strong home dog and the people are anticipating the first Falcons loss too soon (like they have multiple times this year). gl

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14150

nice stuff cross44 well done

Cross44
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsKeY View Post
    Nice info here. Really looking at Giants and Bears right now .. Thanks for some insight
    The Bears have a historically good defense, and probably the best special teams in the league: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...for-greatness/
    Last edited by Cross44; 11-07-12 at 04:10 PM. Reason: I meant the bears...

Cross44
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    nice write up. agree on everything except your Bears pick. think Texans will generate enough offense to win that game (barring Peanut Tillman forcing 4 fumbles lol). Panthers are a really strong home dog and the people are anticipating the first Falcons loss too soon (like they have multiple times this year). gl
    You know, I just can't wrap my head around this Houston team. All the stats I've seen have them in Top 5 in both offense and defense, and they're the Vegas favorite to win the Superbowl at this moment but what have they ever done?

I watched the Texans/Bill game and they did not very sharp at home. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw the ball on them all game, including a last minute drive at the end of the second quarter to bring the halftime score to 7-6. Two of Houston's TD's came from huge passing plays (including a pass interference call), and I don't see Chicago giving up those same plays/field positions. Here's an interesting stat, both teams had the same number of first downs (13), and Houston only had ~60 more total yards.

Two more items to consider:

1.) The Texans have yet to beat a contender all year, losing by double digits to GB. They blew out the depleted Ravens, who are a shadow of their former selves.

2.) Andre Johnson, despite having the TDs this year, is averaging only 4 yards a carry, which is his lowest in 5 years (4.4 last year, 4.9 previous). He's on record to have well over the curse of 370 carries this season. I'm just saying...

p19101
    Giants!
    p19101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Cross44 View Post
    The Giants have a historically good defense, and probably the best special teams in the league: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...for-greatness/
    I think you mean the Bears...

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

Quote Originally Posted by Cross44 View Post
    You know, I just can't wrap my head around this Houston team. All the stats I've seen have them in Top 5 in both offense and defense, and they're the Vegas favorite to win the Superbowl at this moment but what have they ever done?

I watched the Texans/Bill game and they did not very sharp at home. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw the ball on them all game, including a last minute drive at the end of the second quarter to bring the halftime score to 7-6. Two of Houston's TD's came from huge passing plays (including a pass interference call), and I don't see Chicago giving up those same plays/field positions. Here's an interesting stat, both teams had the same number of first downs (13), and Houston only had ~60 more total yards.

Two more items to consider:

1.) The Texans have yet to beat a contender all year, losing by double digits to GB. They blew out the depleted Ravens, who are a shadow of their former selves.

2.) Andre Johnson, despite having the TDs this year, is averaging only 4 yards a carry, which is his lowest in 5 years (4.4 last year, 4.9 previous). He's on record to have well over the curse of 370 carries this season. I'm just saying...
    Good thoughts, looking forward to hearing more from you.
    Houston's pass defense vs Cutler/Marshall is intriguing.

what do you think about the DET/MIN game?

Cross44
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by JayLA View Post
    Good thoughts, looking forward to hearing more from you.
    Houston's pass defense vs Cutler/Marshall is intriguing.

what do you think about the DET/MIN game?
    I put one unit on Det (-1) when the game was still available.

Detroit's defense impressed me in the Chicago game, and Ndamakong Suh's sack of Jay Cutler reminded me of a hungry predator taking down a small fawn. Stafford is on the list of QB's good enough to win games, but with a lot of variability in their play, making it hard to put down a large wager. However, compared to Ponder, Stafford might as well be Rogers or Brady. Ponder has been on auto-fade for me since the Tampa game, and you'd be surprised just how poorly he's played in the last 5 games. I watched two these games live, and he was missing routine screen passes and overshooting receivers with no pressure.

On the other hand, the Vikings are 4-1 at home this year and it's a divisional game. I'll probably keep it at just 1 unit.
    Last edited by Cross44; 11-08-12 at 09:20 AM.

pdubb86
    so short.. (life)
    pdubb86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

[QUOTE=Cross44;16681054]Year-To-Date: 13 – 8 – 1 (+11.6u), Last Week: 5 – 4 (+6.2u)
    - Home Team Listed Second
    - All spreads from 5dimes

Indianapolis Colts (-3) @ Jacksonville Jaguars – Thursday Night Game
    Despite Indy’s action starting at (-125), the public is still overwhelmingly (88%) in their favor. This is a Vegas trap game, with it’s classic misdirection of limelight on the seemingly glowing Colts, who just earned their 3rd straight win,versus a (1-6) Jacksonville team on the tail-end of a 0-5 losing streak. In fact, Jacksonville is in the worst 5 teams statistically, both on offense and defense. So what’s the argument here? How can you justify any money on the Jaguars? The logic is rather simple: Vegas really,really wants you to be on the Colts. Vegas, historically, has made your bankroll her bitch. Vegas knows more than you do.
    Play: Lean Jacksonville

Glowing? This team by far is not glowing, they have just found out their coach has cancer and left the team!!!! Not to mention they have been a bottom feeder the last few years.
    If anything the juice on them is super steep. Its at -190 !!

You could say "trap game" with just about every favorite team on monday night or thursday night, -3 ATS has been successful 67% of the time.

Bottom line: Vegas needs winners, even if that is a lot of people because they want people to feel like winners.
    Last edited by pdubb86; 11-08-12 at 12:45 AM.

Cross44
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by pdubb86 View Post
    Glowing? This team by far is not glowing, they have just found out their coach has cancer and left the team!!!! Not to mention they have been a bottom feeder the last few years.
    If anything the juice on them is super steep. Its at -190 !!

You could say "trap game" with just about every favorite team on monday night or thursday night, -3 ATS has been successful 67% of the time.

Bottom line: Vegas needs winners, even if that is a lot of people because they want people to feel like winners.
    Seemingly glowing is in reference to the public's perception. Indy has come off a 3 game win streak (close games, against teams better than Jaguars), and Andrew Luck is already getting some real love in the media. The public has been fading Jacksonville for the past 5 games, and usually to good results (save the GB game). I'm calling it a trap game because of the disconnect between the public's perception and the spread of (-3). As of now, about 84% on the Colts for the spread, and 75% on the ML. Your bottom line is sorely missing the point. Vegas needs people to feel like winners? Vegas needs one thing: your money, and they'll do anything like any other corporation to get it.

At the moment, the (-120) juice is just a little too high to feel good about (+3.5) Jaguars. If I can get a better juice, I'll probably pounce on it for 2 units. Passing on +3.

Edit: 5Dimes just went to -115 for +3.5, and that's good enough for me. Jaguars (+3.5) 2units. Best of luck tonight!
    Last edited by Cross44; 11-08-12 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Lines Update

Frisco
    Frisco's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yea the GB loss was an ugly one for the Texans, but that same GB team dominated the Bears. I just feel like the Texans should win comfortably if they can avoid the costly TO's. Bears struggle mightily against teams who can get a pass rush and Owen Daniels will find the holes in the Bears zone D.

Cross44
    Update your status

Locked-in:

San Diego Chargers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-3) 2u (-115)
    New York Giants (-4) @ CincinnatiBengals 2u (-110)
    Detroit Lions (-1)
    @ Minnesota Vikings 1u (-120)
    Detroit Lions (-2) @ Minnesota Vikings 1u (-110)
    Atlanta Falcons (-2.5) @ New Orleans Saints 2u (-115)
    Houston Texans @ Chicago Bears (-1) 3u (-110)

Leans:

Baltimore Ravens @ Oakland Raiders(+7.5)
    Denver Broncos @ Carolina Panthers (+3.5)

BOL!