goblue1975
    goblue1975's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Eli manning throwing his teammates under the bus?

Is Eli sort of throwing his teammates/OC under the bus here? It sure doesn't sound good...and is unlike him.

Manning’s ‘off’ when needed to be electric
    By STEVE SERBY
    Last Updated: 3:44 AM, November 5, 2012
    Posted: 1:30 AM, November 5, 2012
    Giants Blog

Steve Serby
    The power outage that drove Eli Manning from his flooded Hoboken digs to a Manhattan hotel followed him to MetLife Stadium yesterday.

There aren’t many Giants fans who would trade Elite Eli for Big Ben Roethlisberger ... except for yesterday.

When Eli Manning looked lost in the dark.

It was Steelers 24, Giants 20, when it ended because Manning could not find a way to overcome either himself or a horrific performance from Tom Coughlin’s special-teams coverage units (68-yard kickoff return, 63-yard punt return).

Manning — and all the Giants — so badly, so nobly, yearned to finish, their enduring mantra, as much for the devastated victims of Sandy as for themselves.

Joseph E. Amaturo
    OH, MANN! Eli Manning, who finished 10-for-24 for 125 yards and no touchdowns, reacts after throwing an interception during the Giants’ 24-20 loss to the Steelers last night at MetLife Stadium.
    Except this turned out to be one of those rare occasions when you can’t spell F-U-T-I-L-E without an E, an L and an I.

The football gods handed Manning one last chance not to make everything right, because that is impossible now, but one last chance to let the struggling survivors cling to some source of inspiration from a quarterback and a team that has given plenty to this area. He had 3:55 and three timeouts to navigate the 88 yards to Giants 27, Steelers 24.

Manning Time.

Incomplete for Victor Cruz — and not even close.

Incomplete for Martellus Bennett.

Fumble following a sack by LaMarr Woodley that Kevin Boothe recovered.

Manning never saw the ball again. It marked the second straight game Elite Eli had failed to throw a touchdown pass. His last one was the 77-yard bomb to Cruz that beat the Redskins.

He is in a slump, even if he doesn’t think he is. And if he doesn’t figure out how to get his team in the end zone, the 6-3 Giants will be fighting off questions about another second-half swoon.

“I feel like I’m throwing the ball accurately when I have opportunities to,” Manning said.

And: “I don’t feel off rhythm, no. I think, offensively, in the passing game, whether we’re just running things we feel comfortable with or getting guys (receivers) winning again so we get guys open, it’s just a combination of ... I don’t feel like I’m throwing the ball inaccurate, I don’t feel like I’m missing guys, so I think it’s just a matter of getting back where offensively we’re playing fast and making good decisions and guys are winning and we’ll hit ’em.”

We’ve all become spoiled by Elite Eli. Just because Hakeem Nicks (four targets, one catch, 10 yards) is still not his explosive self, just because Cruz (5-67) is getting the Me And My Shadow treatment and getting mugged, just because the running game (22-68) is stuck in mud, doesn’t mean the elite quarterback can’t elevate his level of play and overcome.

“I’m sure he would come to tell you that he didn’t play as well as he would like to have played,” Coughlin said. “We have to get him back on track. He’s our guy and we have to get him back playing the way he was a couple of weeks ago and we have to do it in a hurry. And it’s not just Eli now. We’re struggling to get ourselves in position so that it’s an automatic for the quarterback too.”

It’s never entirely the quarterback’s fault. But 10-for-24 for 125 yards and one interception? A 41.1 QB rating? Are you kidding?

“Two weeks ago, we were the No. 1 big-play team in the league,” Coughlin said. “I mean, it doesn’t make any sense.”

Let’s try to make sense of it. Manning threw only once to a running back. He targeted Bennett (3-40) four times. Domenik Hixon (0-0) was targeted once. His best plays were a pair of pass interferences worth a total of 87 yards against Keenan Lewis. The green zone has become the dead zone. On his first possession, Manning tried a back-shoulder throw to rookie Rueben Randle ... on third-and-1 at the Pittsburgh 44. Terrible play call. The Ike Taylor interception was a forced heave for Cruz into double coverage.

“Bad decision by me,” Manning said. “Just got hit as I threw it, the ball didn’t come out how I wanted it to. Should have not attempted that throw under the circumstances.”

Three-and-out, three-and-out, three-and-out in the fourth quarter.

“I’ve kept my regular schedule, tried to stay in a normal routine,” Manning said. “We were prepared to play tonight, we just didn’t play our best.”

Power failure at quarterback.

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

He had quite a bit of over throws in The past two games. Most of the plays Victor Cruz made were him pretty wide open. It's only two games though. Sounds like Eli is defending himself more then throwing teammates under the bus. The media just needs to put blame one somebody.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

I think you give an "ELITE ELI" type QB room to vent sometimes in post loss interviews, as long as he only insinuates slightly as a response to questions and doesn't just make out and out soap box declarations without prompt that his team let him down.

Media pressured him for answers right after the loss and amidst a rough few weeks for him personally and he gave his honest assessment. now they put it under a microscope and dissect it.

that is the price you pay I guess

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

Eli is not that good, receivers have been saving him his whole career.

Chuck it up and pray does not always get it done.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Eli is not that good, receivers have been saving him his whole career.
    How do blind people like you type on a computer?

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Quote Originally Posted by bruceBRUCEbruce View Post
    How do blind people like you type on a computer?
    Do you argue that his recievers have made some fantastic catches ? Especially in the Super Bowl ?

EVPlus
    EVPlus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 451

The part about receivers making "fantastic catches" doesn't apply to just Eli. bruceBruce was just taking an exception to k13's comment that "receivers have been saving him his whole career."

The implication that Eli is the only noteworthy qb in the history of nfl to have been saved by great catches is misleading.

FWIW, on paper I had the Steelers covering yesterday but stayed away because I suspected the ENTIRE Giants organization would bring something special to the field in light of the recent disaster. And let's not forget it was the special teams coverage that allowed the Steelers to get 60+ yards return not once but twice.

I do agree the media needs to place the reason on somebody - and Eli, as the face of the Giants - is the logical candidate. And yes, Eli didn't have the stuff late in the game. But the claims that Eli has been saved his entire career by his receivers or that he's the only qb that's benefitted from spectacular catches is misleading.