will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Marino is far superior than Brees-link to 1984 roster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Miami_Dolphins_season

The rules give receivers more flexibility at the present time. Take a look at this roster. I liked Jim Jensen's versatility and the "Marks Brothers" were one of my favorite combination and this team still managed to go 14-2.

If this was Brees's team, he wouldn't be nearly as good. If this was Peyton Manning's team, he wouldn't be as good either. If this was Tom Brady's team, it would be close but still not as good. Marino never had a running game. Brady and Manning both had running games on their better teams.

Marino always gets disrespected. His mobility sucked but other than that, I would take him over guys like Elway. DID DAN MARINO HAVE TERRELL DAVIS TO HAND THE BALL TO IN ORDER TO WIN 2 SUPER BOWLS? No way. Terrell Davis got Elway those rings

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

not this again, we know, different era, players, training, rules, etc

I don't even think marino cares. let's all chill

Ive never been a fan of records anyway, nobody when they think of emmit smith they don't think td record, they think , good rb that won superbowls in dallas and in the hallof fame.

'We know marino would do great if he was playing now , but if u ask brees, if he would rather have the record or a superbowl win this year, its not even close.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

don't forget fouts that did it in 14 games

shopbar picks
    shopbar picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22725

Give the guy his due. He is nothing but class. As is his coach. Both great americans

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    don't forget fouts that did it in 14 games

Loved Fouts but he had better receivers to work with and a running game with Chuck Muncie (I'm going way back). Wes Chandler, Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson, and Kellen Winslow Sr. With those receivers, Marino would be throwing for almost 400 yard per game

sixzero
    CONN +5
    sixzero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 683

Dan Marino was a great quarterback. Unfortunately Miami could never surround him with winners. I just found out that this is the 1st year Miami has had a 1,000 yard receiver (Marshall) and 1,000 (R. Bush) rusher in history. Congratulations to Brees.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Games changed, quit comparing.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

brees is much more of a winning QB

case closed

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

cool story bro, but who cares. he broke the record.

PAYTON20
    PAYTON20's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 770

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    Yup. Best post

Are u guys kidding? If Marino was in the Saints offense today? C'MOONNNNN MANNNNN!!!

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

who cares.

PAYTON20

Agree.

Marino >>>> Brees

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Because of the facts you cant hit a receiver to jar the ball loose anymore and the QB position is protected as well as the president of the united states, this record will be broken every other year now.......

breaking this record is nothing special...
    Last edited by PAULYPOKER; 12-27-11 at 07:37 AM.

PAYTON20

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Because of the facts you cant hit a receiver to jar the ball lose anymore and the QB position is protected as well as the president of the united states, this record will be broken every other year now.......

breaking this record is nothing special...
    Yup

And guess who LOST the 2001 ROSE BOWL to Washington and Marques Tuiasosopo... Yes Drew Brees and Purdue

BuckeyeT
    BuckeyeT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

SB rings...Brees 1 Marino 0

Enough said.

PAYTON20

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeT View Post
    SB rings...Brees 1 Marino 0

Enough said.
    Get off Brees' nuts bro

Marino wayyy better... Same with Elway, Favre and Aikman

BuckeyeT
    BuckeyeT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Quote Originally Posted by PAYTON20 View Post
    Get off Brees' nuts bro

Im in noway on brees nuts.

You can pull as many stats out your ass as you want to.

Bottom line in sports is CHAMPIONSHIPS. Brees has 1 and Marino has ZERO.

Thats all i was saying on that subject.

PAYTON20

Im in noway on brees nuts.

You can pull as many stats out your ass as you want to.

Bottom line in sports is CHAMPIONSHIPS. Brees has 1 and Marino has ZERO.

Thats all i was saying on that subject.
    So Robert Horry is > Lebron then riiiiiight??

PAULYPOKER

SlickRick1382
    If hustlin' is a must; be Sosa, not Tony
    SlickRick1382's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11517

Im in noway on brees nuts. You can pull as many stats out your ass as you want to. Bottom line in sports is CHAMPIONSHIPS. Brees has 1 and Marino has ZERO. Thats all i was saying on that subject.
    You're an idiot. Last I checked not only was it a team sport but it's a 53 man roster. So you're telling me that Drew Brees was the sole person responsible for winning that SB and that the rest of the N.O. Saints team that year was easily interchangeable.

I think Brees is a great QB in this league but he is in no way shape or form better than Marino, nor will he ever be. Not only was the league and the rules COMPLETELY DIFFERENT at that time but his team failed in comparison. Never had a legitimate RB. For as great as the Mark & Mark brothers were, Marino made them much better than they really were. Check them in college.

BTW to extend on the Robert Horry is greater than Lebron argument he should of really said

Robert Horry > Michael Jordan.

Proof is in the pudding right? 7 rings vs 6

How about Robert Horry > Magic Johnson too? 7 vs 5

Lets do football next.

Trent Dilfer > Dan Marino and Trent Dilfer = Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees

LP™
    LP™'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 811

I've never seen so much hate for one guy for breaking some silly little record that Dan Marino laughs about

ehp6737
    ehp6737's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

Marino said he was happy it was broken and especially by a classy guy like Brees.

You should just be too and let it go. Stop trying to compare eras, rules changes, rosters, etc. It doesnt work that way. It is what it is.

Do we asterisk Ruth's records because he only played against whites, hence a much weaker pool of players than today? No

Do we asterisk the '72 Dolphins undefeated record since they only had to play a 14 game schedule, even though now teams now have to play a 16 game schedule in order to match them? No

There's absolutely no way to quantify different eras when trying to compare players and teams, unless you have a time machine and can get them on the same field to play each other in their prime. So stop trying to compare and just accept that records are going to be broken.

And for those who keep saying that the "rules are so much more passing friendly now", that is true, but defenses and their schemes are also much more complex than they were 30 years ago and Marino could basically play "grip it and rip it" like he was in the back yard. While nowadays these QB's like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers have to be more like surgeons while dissecting their prey. So in my mind everything equals out.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

So Robert Horry is > Lebron then riiiiiight??

great analogy. Rings can't be used

DA_MOSS
    Yepp
    DA_MOSS's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 676

buncha butthurt people in here..

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

I like Brees, what's not to like about Brees, but man, ESPN has been slurping his rooster all last night, and the slurp fest still continues.

I like Rodgers too, I like the both of them, however, let's keep this real.

The only thing Brees really has on Rodgers is passing yardage, but Brees has thrown the ball 120 times more than Rodgers.
    Rodgers has a substantially higher passing rating, Rodgers has more yards per attempt, Rodgers has 45:6 TD to INT ratio, compared to Brees 41:13 TD to pick ratio.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

Pointless to even argue this either way.

officepoolguy
    officepoolguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Comparing is what makes sports great...It is why we have records in the first place to compare players. We compare every week playing fantasy football (which qb is a better, which rb and so on). Football like baseball and basketball are all about stats. Stats are cool (anyone play Strat-o-matic or APBA board games and kept stats?)

So let the comparison reign...who is better given the era and the talent around each player? I say Marino's accomplishment is better because of the era but we may have to agree to disagree... which is OKAY.

Ch Br
    Ch Br's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

Get off Brees' nuts bro

First of all Aikman.... i dont even need to dignify that comment........ but i WILL SAY .....i wish i had more hands, so i can give that mention 4 THUMBS DOWN!

but Favre, whoa slow the brakes on that one man....... good qb to watch and never count out yes...

Favre was a country shreveport, gunslinger. yea the guy was tough and had some great moments...a throwback strong headed football player, but he also gambled and threw more ints and cost his teams A LOT OF GAMES......

Dont go comparing him [Favre] to [in random order] Elway, Marino, Brady, Manning, Montana etc..... ill give u hes in the top 10, nearing the 10th spot, but the other guys u listed... well seph hes not in that echelon i dont think...
    Last edited by Ch Br; 12-27-11 at 11:59 AM.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Pointless to even argue this either way.

Ch Br
    Ch Br's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick1382 View Post

ahahah i was just saying the other day, that Trent Dilfer is one of those few dirty stains on the white shirt that is all NFL championships..... No matter how much you try to run or work at it, you cant get it off, its there forever tarnishing you

You know that guy has to feel unworthy when he runs into another Lombardi winner with a ring...... lol he prolly take sit off and slips it into his pocket
    Last edited by Ch Br; 12-27-11 at 12:12 PM.
    Points Awarded:

SlickRick1382 gave Ch Br 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

305GURU
    305GURU's Avatar Become A Pro!

Marino had one of thee best arms of all time, i put him in my top ten anyday, he really never had the great offensive weaponsaround him, and he still put up HOF numbers, Brees is a great Qb too

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by Ch Br View Post
    First of all Aikman.... i dont even need to dignify that comment........ but i WILL SAY .....i wish i had more hands, so i can give that mention 4 THUMBS DOWN! but Favre, whoa slow the brakes on that one man....... good qb to watch and never count out yes... Favre was a country shreveport, gunslinger. yea the guy was tough and had some great moments...a throwback strong headed football player, but he also gambled and threw more ints and cost his teams A LOT OF GAMES...... Dont go comparing him [Favre] to [in random order] Elway, Marino, Brady, Manning, Montana etc..... ill give u hes in the top 10, nearing the 10th spot, but the other guys u listed... well seph hes not in that echelon i dont think...
    Aikman was the best managing QB to ever play the game but that is all the further I'll go..............

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Shut up with the Marino didn't have a running game. He didn't because they always abandon it the second the dolphins fell behind. Marino also didn't want ELWAY who second to him in all passing categories at the time to catch him.

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick1382 View Post
    You're an idiot. Last I checked not only was it a team sport but it's a 53 man roster. So you're telling me that Drew Brees was the sole person responsible for winning that SB and that the rest of the N.O. Saints team that year was easily interchangeable.

I think Brees is a great QB in this league but he is in no way shape or form better than Marino, nor will he ever be. Not only was the league and the rules COMPLETELY DIFFERENT at that time but his team failed in comparison. Never had a legitimate RB. For as great as the Mark & Mark brothers were, Marino made them much better than they really were. Check them in college.

BTW to extend on the Robert Horry is greater than Lebron argument he should of really said

Robert Horry > Michael Jordan.

Proof is in the pudding right? 7 rings vs 6

How about Robert Horry > Magic Johnson too? 7 vs 5

Lets do football next.

Brees record would mean a bit more if there weren't 2 more QBs this year that will likely break Marino's mark

plus...Brees has 60+ more attempts than anyone else, that's like 1.5 or 2 games!

The real indicator of efficiency is yards per attempt which Brees is tied for 6th I believe...and crushed by Rodgers by more than A YARD PER ATTEMPT.

For all these reasons that record deserves no more than an enthusiastic golf clap

jollyoscars
    jollyoscars's Avatar Become A Pro!

marino is overrated.

12 Last