billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

A few injury updates

I am going to try and clarify some injury situations in the next few days as I get to them. Been a bit busy of late with not much time to post my regular thread.

Detroit Lions

RB Kevin Smith practiced today and has stated he will play Sunday and will continue to rehab his high ankle sprain until the 8:30 Sunday game. He thinks the late start will give him more time to work out the soreness.

Strong Safety Louis Delmas and shutdown corner Chris Houston (knees) did not practice. Alphonso Smith will play for Houston if he can't go and Chris Harris will probably go for Delmas. Big loss at safety, Smith was Detroit's team leader in interceptions last year and is not a bad cover guy. Not good against the run.

I think the key to coverage will be how well Harris can cover Graham. He will need help here.

Matthew Stafford practiced for the third straight day without a glove and has stated his finger is almost healed. Look for some improvement there.

My take on Detroit is the same as I originally thought especially if Smith plays and Stafford can improve without the glove on. 9 is too much. My guess is that this will drop soon, perhaps to 7.5 by tip Sunday evening. This news will affect the line.
    Last edited by billysink; 12-01-11 at 07:05 PM.

billysink

Tampa Bay Bucs

QB Josh Freeman's injured throwing shoulder is not improving and Josh Johnson got most of the first team reps again today. Freeman did throw some during the walk through portion of today's practice. In house word in Tampa is that they will err on the side of caution with the season pretty much toast after the five game slide of late. They are saying all the right things "hopeful he can go" but are really spending a lot of time on Johnson. Coach Morris is saying he has confidence that Freeman can play with no practice at all but I think it is smoke and mirrors, trying to force the Panthers to game plan for two instead of one.

JJ has not started in two years but is a much much more mobile guy than Freeman and will demand a totally different approach.

On the defensive side of the ball DT's Fat Albert and Brian Price did not practice with ankles. Price is not likely to go with a high ankle sprain and was in a boot again today. Reserve DE Michael Bennett did not practice with a bad groin.

My take is that that line is in big trouble. Gerald McCoy has been lost for the year, Fat Albert is already pissing off Morris with poor gap control, Price will probably not play. That is going to magnify the deficiencies of probably the slowest linebacker corps in the league. I think Carolina can run the ball down TB's gullet this weekend if they so chose. They are quietly averaging 5.1 a carry this year. Cam might have a big day as well.

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

Quote Originally Posted by billysink View Post
    Tampa Bay Bucs

QB Josh Freeman's injured throwing shoulder is not improving and Josh Johnson got most of the first team reps again today. Freeman did throw some during the walk through portion of today's practice. In house word in Tampa is that they will err on the side of caution with the season pretty much toast after the five game slide of late. They are saying all the right things "hopeful he can go" but are really spending a lot of time on Johnson. Coach Morris is saying he has confidence that Freeman can play with no practice at all but I think it is smoke and mirrors, trying to force the Panthers to game plan for two instead of one.

JJ has not started in two years but is a much much more mobile guy than Freeman and will demand a totally different approach.

On the defensive side of the ball DT's Fat Albert and Brian Price did not practice with ankles. Price is not likely to go with a high ankle sprain and was in a boot again today. Reserve DE Michael Bennett did not practice with a bad groin.

My take is that that line is in big trouble. Gerald McCoy has been lost for the year, Fat Albert is already pissing off Morris with poor gap control, Price will probably not play. That is going to magnify the deficiencies of probably the slowest linebacker corps in the league. I think Carolina can run the ball down TB's gullet this weekend if they so chose. They are quietly averaging 5.1 a carry this year. Cam might have a big day as well.
    I have heard the exact opposite...

"Josh Freeman (shoulder) said on his radio show Thursday that he could have played if necessary by Wednesday of this week.
    Freeman's MRI showed only bruising in his shoulder rather than a tear. While his arm strength will likely be down this week, it now looks like he's on track to start against the Panthers on Sunday."

billysink

Carolina Panthers

LB Omar Gaither returned to limited practice but coach Rivera has said he will start Jordan Senn outside this week. Senn has played decent against Detroit and Indy but is listed a a generous 5'11" and 224. This is his first matchup with a power runner in the mold of LeGarrette Blount.

I think the Bucs can run the ball down the Panther's throat as well with the decimated state of that linebacking set, 5 guys on IR or expected out Sunday. That will likely be the plan if Freeman cannot go.

billysink

Quote Originally Posted by dlunc3 View Post
    I have heard the exact opposite...

"Josh Freeman (shoulder) said on his radio show Thursday that he could have played if necessary by Wednesday of this week.
    Freeman's MRI showed only bruising in his shoulder rather than a tear. While his arm strength will likely be down this week, it now looks like he's on track to start against the Panthers on Sunday."
    I heard that too. Players always say they are playing. I guess the approach is getting Johnson ready,

Like I said no one will know for sure until the inactives are listed. Read the tongue in cheek from this which was posted an hour or so ago, especially with respect to erring on the side of caution.

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/bucs/2011...er--ar-329024/

My guess is that if Freeman has limited or reduced arm strength he does not go and the rest is head games and window dressing to affect game plan.

billysink

Atlanta Falcons

The big news affecting this tilt is the health of Houston at the QB position but Atlanta has some serious issues as well.

RB Michael Turner has not yet practiced this week with a bad groin. If they are forced to go with Jason Snelling or tiny back Jaquizz Rogers this week against that run D of Houston that is not good. I have been keeping an eye on the Falcon run game since fullback Ovie Mughelli went down for the year and it has regressed. Mike Cox is a significant downgrade at fullback and so is Snelling when he is in at that position. Turner has averaged only 3.2 and 3.1 the last two weeks and if he is limited that is certainly going to affect the play of that offense as a whole. On that note Julio Jones also did not practice today with a bad hamstring. It is not looking good for him again this week.

Starting CB Brent Grimes had surgery today on his knee and Strongside LB Stephen Nicolas did not practice and may not be ready for Sunday.

We will all have our opinions of the Houston squad for good reason but other than the QB positon they are pretty healthy. Do not overlook the injuries to the Atlanta side when assessing this one. The total has already moved to reflect and may go down further.

I think there is some value in the Houston side as well. I don't know a lot about Yates at this point but that defense of Houston is as good as it gets right now.

billysink

Raiders

I guess most have read the Rolando McClain reports. Dude went to his gramp's funeral a scrap broke out and the situation ended with McClain firing a courtesy round upside someone's ear after pointing the gun to his head first. I guess that is a misdemeanor in Bama.

Anyway in typical Raider fashion coach Huey says he expects McClain to play Sunday.

To be ruled out for the Raiders attempted murder is the minimum.
    Last edited by billysink; 12-01-11 at 08:40 PM.

Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

Raiders

I guess most have read the Rolando McClain reports. Dude went to his gramp's funeral a scrap broke out and the situation ended with McClain firing a courtesy round upside someone's ear after pointing the gun to his head first. I guess that is a misdemeanor in Bama.

Anyway in typical Raider fashion coach Huey says he expects McClain to play Sunday.

To be ruled out for the Raiders attempted murder is the minimum.
    I read the ESPN story....thuglife yo

Anyway, thanks for the updates

billysink

Packers

LB's A.J. Hawk and Desmond Bishop did not practice again today and a decision is going to be made on their availability tomorrow.
    RG and LT Chad Clifton did not practice nor are they expected to play Sunday. I think the Giants pass rush gets back on track this week.

NY Giants

Safeties Derrick Martin and Antrel Rolle both returned to full practice today after being limited and DNP on Wednesday. LB Michael Boley returned to limited practice Thursday after being held out last week. Good news for that defense especially at the safety position. Osi is going to be out Sunday it looks like.

Mario Manningham, Hakeem Nicks and Ahmad Bradshaw all were held out of practice today. Victor Cruz returned to full practice, Bradshaw may return tomorrow, question marks on the two wideouts,

Of note this game has moved even more now falling off the key 7 to 6.5 and shows indications toward 6 at Pinny. I feel fortunate to have gotten them early in the week at the 7.5 that was available (albeit juciy -116) early Tuesday evening. Safe to say there is a lot of interest in the Giants this week.

billysink

That is it for today but I will take some time to update and report anything new of note tomorrow after Friday practice reports.

Good luck this weekend everyone!!!!!

billysink

A bit more Lions information. Kevin Smith was able to cut in cone drills and though not yet at full speed is expected to play Sunday. His straight ahead running is full speed but his cuts are still a bit tentative.

Chris Houston has not yet practiced but is not yet ruled out. It is a knee contusion not interior damage. Aaron Berry will start if he cannot go and Alphonso Smith will be the nickel back.

Louis Delmas is out. Chris Harris will start.

Stafford has reported his finger to be in great shape and is feeling more confident in his accuracy without the glove.

Suh lost his appeal and Fairley is in for him. I think that is not as big of a deal as many think and may even be an improvement against the run.

billysink

It is looking less likely that Josh Freeman goes for Tampa on Sunday. Josh has been quoted in the papers and the radio show that he will play. When pressed today Coach Morris has reiterated they will err on the side of caution and that Freeman will have no say in the decision.

NT Brian Price made it through limited practice and is now expected to play as much as able. The Bucs are real short on the D-line/

billysink

Michael Turner returned to practice along with Julio Jones but both were limited and are game time decisions.

Starting CB Brent Grimes and nickel package CB Kelvin Hayden are out.

billysink

Linebackers A.J Hawk and Desmond Bishop are out for Green Bay. Rookies D.J. Smith and Robert Francois will play. Smith is expected to wear the communications helmet be the signal caller on Sunday.

billysink

Mario Manningham is extremely doubtful for the Giants, Hakeem Nicks looks like he will play, Ahmad Bradshaw has looked better by the day and LB Michael Boley practiced on a limited basis.

Bradshaw and Boley have been upgraded to questionable.

Stevedore
    Stevedore's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4435

Linebackers A.J Hawk and Desmond Bishop are out for Green Bay. Rookies D.J. Smith and Robert Francois will play. Smith is expected to wear the communications helmet be the signal caller on Sunday.
    Dom Capers loves Smith, comparing him to Sam Mills when he was in Carolina, kid can play. Francois is good in coverage but probably a liability in the run game. The big injury in this game for GB is RG Sitton being out; Dietric-Smith held his own against Suh, but the Giants D will bring it in this game unlike last week. This game will be he best of the weekend IMO; GB will have all it can handle on Sunday.

billysink

Quote Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
    Dom Capers loves Smith, comparing him to Sam Mills when he was in Carolina, kid can play. Francois is good in coverage but probably a liability in the run game. The big injury in this game for GB is RG Sitton being out; Dietric-Smith held his own against Suh, but the Giants D will bring it in this game unlike last week. This game will be he best of the weekend IMO; GB will have all it can handle on Sunday.
    Good stuff here.

Smith is a very good talent and looked good against the Lions.

I agree with your assessment of the O line injuries and was very fortunate to get 7.5 early in the week. I still think the Pack win but a field goal might be the margin.

billysink

The Chargers are in big trouble on the O-line. They have put 2 starters on I-R in the last few weeks including their whole left side, all Pro's Marcus McNeil and Kris Dielman. C Scott Mruczkowski who had started out of position in week 11 was also placed on I-R. The player who replaced McNeil last week Brandyn Dombrowski has not practiced this week and likely will be out.

They are going to start a mish mash of inexperience and second/third stringers on the blind side. Tyronne Green an interior lineman is going to start at LT. Rookie Scott Schilling likely starts at LG. Rivers has not had any time to get set of late and will be in big trouble again.

Keep an eye on the status of D-line players Terrance Knighton and Matt Roth for the Jags if they go they will be in the backfield all night. I did not mind the way the backups on the D line and in the linebacker slot played for the Jags against Houston.

I will be keeping a close eye on this one.

NeverBackDown
    NeverBackDown's Avatar Become A Pro!

billysink

I am concerned with the health of the Cincinnati defence. I had pegged them as a live dog worth watching on the odds board.

It is becoming more apparent that the hamstring injury suffered in practice Thursday by left cornerback Nate Clements is a major concern and he did not practice at all yesterday. He is now a gametime decision for tomorrow. The Bengals already lost shutdown right cornerback Leon Hall last week.

I do not want to go against burners Mike Wallace and Antionio Brown with backup corners even if it is Pacman Jones. He is one tweek away of the hamstring himself from sitting and has not played much at all over the last few years. Safety Cris Crocker has a badly strained bicep but is expected to play Sunday. Cinci's pass defense has regressed over the last four weeks, was not exposed in the matchup against Cleveland last week; this is a different story against the burners and arm of Ben.

LG is also a concern as neither Domata Peko (foot) or Pat Sims is healthy. Peko made it through a full practice Friday but his backup Sims did not practice. Peko has had foot trouble for a few weeks, did not practice a few days last week but did play Sunday. Sims hurt his ankle last week and was carted of the field. DE rotation player Carlos Dunlap will not play Sunday.

Suffice it to say my interest in the Bengal side has been tempered. The Bengal defense which has been the unquestionable strength of that team so far is now showing signs of wearing down. Conversely the Steelers are starting to get healthy with the expected return of Lamarr Woodley and Larry Foote to that beastly linebacker corps.

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Atlanta Falcons

The big news affecting this tilt is the health of Houston at the QB position but Atlanta has some serious issues as well.

RB Michael Turner has not yet practiced this week with a bad groin. If they are forced to go with Jason Snelling or tiny back Jaquizz Rogers this week against that run D of Houston that is not good. I have been keeping an eye on the Falcon run game since fullback Ovie Mughelli went down for the year and it has regressed. Mike Cox is a significant downgrade at fullback and so is Snelling when he is in at that position. Turner has averaged only 3.2 and 3.1 the last two weeks and if he is limited that is certainly going to affect the play of that offense as a whole. On that note Julio Jones also did not practice today with a bad hamstring. It is not looking good for him again this week.

Starting CB Brent Grimes had surgery today on his knee and Strongside LB Stephen Nicolas did not practice and may not be ready for Sunday.

We will all have our opinions of the Houston squad for good reason but other than the QB positon they are pretty healthy. Do not overlook the injuries to the Atlanta side when assessing this one. The total has already moved to reflect and may go down further.

I think there is some value in the Houston side as well. I don't know a lot about Yates at this point but that defense of Houston is as good as it gets right now.
    Turner is playing tomorrow. Grimes and Nicholas are both out. As for the Texans, Brian Cushings is expected to be in the lineup and Lawerence Vickers is listed as questionable still.

billysink

Quote Originally Posted by D3 Mighty Ducks View Post
    Turner is playing tomorrow. Grimes and Nicholas are both out. As for the Texans, Brian Cushings is expected to be in the lineup and Lawerence Vickers is listed as questionable still.
    Thanks Ducks!

I was listening to sports radio in Atlanta this morning. Turner is not near 100% but is expected to give it a go.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

looks like cushing(hou) might've just hyper-extended his knee. so many injuries but what a good team.

he just got carried off but it looks like that from watching the play and seeing where they take the weight off on his leg.