4TH AND STUPID
    best NFL capper at SBR
    4TH AND STUPID's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1990

Why did Desean Jackson's taunting penalty after the play, wipe out the play?

Desean Jackson taunts a team AFTER the play is well over and done, and instead of being a 15 yard penalty from the spot of the foul, they cancel out the entire play??

How does this make any sense at all? Just because the giants had a penalty too it causes the entire play to be wiped out?

so basically the giants are rewarded for having a penalty? because if there was no giants penalty the eagles wouldve been driving near giants territory.

what a friggin scam. the nfl needs to address this REDICULOUS rule asap!

jackmyhoggoff
    jackmyhoggoff's Avatar Become A Pro!

The WHOLE NFL is an entire SCAM ! FAKE BULL$HIT !!

dontbuythehook
    dontbuythehook's Avatar Become A Pro!

agree this was really really bad. if it werent for VY coming alive int he 2nd half then PHI ML woulda been torched

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1830

The penalty should have been added after the play. So they get the 50 yards or whatever and lose 15 for the penalty.

That's how it has been called before......

Matters little now.

SATERSTYLE
    FLAWLESS QUEEN BRITNEY
    SATERSTYLE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3291

The NFL is retarded there shouldn't be penalties for taunts in the first place. It is a sport let the players taunt

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30330

6. Sorting out the offsetting penalties in Eagles-Giants.

The PFT email box and Twitter pipeline exploded on Sunday night, after a penalty for illegal use of hands against the Giants during a 50-yard pass to Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson and a post-play taunting penalty on Jackson completely wiped out the gain and gave Philly an unwanted do-over from their own two yard line.

The prevailing thought was that Eagles should have been able to decline the penalty against the Giants, and then to have the 15 yards walked off after the play, giving Philly a 35-yard gain.

But the outcome reflected the proper application of a strange donut hole in the rule book.

The process gets started at Rule 14, Section 1, Article 9: “If there has been a foul by either team during a down and there is a dead ball foul by the other team in the action immediately after the end of the down, it is a double foul, and all rules for enforcement of double fouls apply (see 14-3-1).”

Regarding double fouls, Article 14, Section 3, Rule 1 provides as follows: “If there is a double foul . . . without a change of possession, the penalties are offset and the down is replayed at the previous spot.”

In this case, a key exception almost applied, but ultimately didn’t. “If one of the fouls is of a nature that incurs a 15-yard penalty and the other foul of a double foul normally would result in a loss of 5 yards only (15 yards versus 5 yards),” the rule book states, “the major penalty yardage is to be assessed from the previous spot.” Since the penalty on the Giants entailed a five-yard penalty AND an automatic first down, the exception didn’t apply in Jackson’s case. Even if it had (for example, if the Giants had simply been offside), the Eagles would have had the 15 yards walked off (or, in this case, half the distance to the goal) from the previous spot.

Either way, the penalty on the Giants ultimately penalized the Eagles. THough the officials sorted it all out properly in real time, the rule book definitely needs to be tweaked to prevent such unfair outcomes.

SparJMU
    SparJMU's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7523

Posters 1 - 4: Do you understand what an offsetting penalty is? This is a very basic rule in the NFL. I would recommend you read post #6 a few times until you comprehend it, and more importantly NEVER start a thread again because you can't understand the basics of the game.

ronzer
    the search for bigfoot continues
    ronzer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 163

i agree this rule needs to be tweaked. philly got hosed on this one, but lets be honest this is not the only rule that needs some tweaking.

4TH AND STUPID
    best NFL capper at SBR
    4TH AND STUPID's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1990

Quote Originally Posted by SparJMU View Post
    Posters 1 - 4: Do you understand what an offsetting penalty is? This is a very basic rule in the NFL. I would recommend you read post #6 a few times until you comprehend it, and more importantly NEVER start a thread again because you can't understand the basics of the game.

poster number 7,

i suggest you stfu and read the opening post clearly. it demonstrates that i DO IN FACT understand why it was called the way it was called, and was simply addressing an opinion.

The opinion, which i addressed in the opening post (if you have any reading comprehension whatsoever) was that this rule is severly flawed and cost the eagles a potential scoring drive and around 40 yards of field position.

I was wondering how the NFL could have such a flawed rule and was hoping to hear other peoples opinions regarding the matter.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

They properly applied a poorly crafted rule. Should be fixed for sure.

PhillyeagleIrish
    PhillyeagleIrish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Should have been a dead ball foul the refs definitely got that one wrong.

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

I don't know whats dumber......

this rule??

or

DeSean Jackson for repeatedly doing stupid sh#t & costing his team??

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

Quote Originally Posted by upscope View Post
    I don't know whats dumber......

this rule??

or

DeSean Jackson for repeatedly doing stupid sh#t & costing his team??
    weird i didnt think you could show your head today.... as buried you are after last night

upscope

Quote Originally Posted by dlunc3 View Post
    weird i didnt think you could show your head today.... as buried you are after last night

Why would I be buried from last night??

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Hey genius, way to come in here and say "Yeah, yeah, look what that guy posted... you guys are dumb" everybody knows what offsetting penalties are ... 4th and Stupid was simply talking about how flawed the rule is. This wasnt your basic Offsetting penalty, it was a penalty during the play vs a dead ball foul. He was stating that if the Giants didnt commit a foul, the Eagles would have had a 35 yard game , instead, the Giants got a break because they committed a live ball foul.
    Points Awarded:

4TH AND STUPID gave SportsPedagogy 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

Quote Originally Posted by upscope View Post

Why would I be buried from last night??
    read any thread about the eagles/giants game from this past week... you sat at your computer all day and night just waiting for someone to post that they liked the eagles.. you flipped out how the eagles had no chance and how bad they were... how did that work out for ya?

Qtip
    Qtip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 176

Yup its retarded. Somehow the Giants benefit from their own penalty, and the eagles would have been better off if the giants didn't commit a foul? Either way this rule has been this way for at least a few years, don't expect the NFL to fix it anytime soon as they are too busy changing rules that don't need to be changed.

SparJMU
    SparJMU's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7523

OK, so you understood it from the beginning, you simply started a thread to complain? I read your post, and I wouldn't blame my reading comprehension skills for your lack of clarity.

Why would you start a thread simply to complain about a rule? You honestly find value in asking other people to come in here and agree with your complaint? The rule makes perfect sense to me. Two penalties occurring on the same play means the penalties offset and the down is replayed.

Look on the bright side, Desean Jackson will be playing for a different team next year and you won't have to worry about it.

upscope

Quote Originally Posted by dlunc3 View Post
    read any thread about the eagles/giants game from this past week... you sat at your computer all day and night just waiting for someone to post that they liked the eagles.. you flipped out how the eagles had no chance and how bad they were... how did that work out for ya?
    Please show me where I ever said the Eagles had no chance in this game?? What I repeatedly said was how fukkin stupid you are for continuing to suk off the Eagles & trying to convince everyone they are still a playoff team.

Again please show me where I ever advised anybody to take the Giants -6 in this game or where I myself were taking the Giants -6 in this game??

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

OK, so you understood it from the beginning, you simply started a thread to complain? I read your post, and I wouldn't blame my reading comprehension skills for your lack of clarity.

Why would you start a thread simply to complain about a rule? You honestly find value in asking other people to come in here and agree with your complaint? The rule makes perfect sense to me. Two penalties occurring on the same play means the penalties offset and the down is replayed.

Look on the bright side, Desean Jackson will be playing for a different team next year and you won't have to worry about it.
    There are alot worse threads on this site pal.
    The one penalty was a dead ball foul. it SHOULD not offset with a live ball penalty. The guy just made a thread ranting about it. Why does it bother you so much ?