Vegasjack2
    Vegasjack2's Avatar Become A Pro!

Investigating The Most Important Stat In NFL Betting

Investigating The Most Important Stat In NFL Betting

I recently got an email from an Oddsmaker who I have worked with and now swap information with. He passed along a statistic to me that he has recently begun tracking. He claims that this is the single most important stat in determining who wins week to week in the NFL.

What is the stat? Passing Yards? Rushing Yards? Turnover Ratio?

No, no and no.

The oddsmaker in discussion has found that the single most important stat in predicting the winning team in the NFL is Pass Yards Per Attempt.

Disappointed?

I know it may not seem like the most exciting stat, and some of you may have never heard about it before. For those of you who have heard about it, you more then likely have not paid attention to it. When I received his email, I admit, I was very sceptical. I did not believe the results he was boasting, but sure enough after researching myself, I found out that this is amazingly accurate in predicting the winning team.

So far this season, the team who has more Pass Yards Per Attempt has gone…

38-10 (.791%) ATS +$2,700 (TO WIN $100 PER GAME)
    42-6 (.875%) SU +$4,125 (TO WIN $100 PER GAME)

Pretty incredible stuff. So far though, these numbers are well below pace of last season.

410-102 (.798%) ATS +$29,780 (TO WIN $100 PER GAME)
    500-12 (.976%) SU +$64,450 (TO WIN $100 PER GAME)

I have yet to back track another year as I was unable to find accurate moneylines for the games in question. I must admit that these numbers are absolutely mind blowing. Now I have been questioning how this could possibly be. For one, the NFL has become a very pass happy league. More passers are on pace to break all time records then ever before. In the first three weeks there have been numerous passing records shattered. The NFL has somewhat turned into a CFL pass first type league. Since the style of play is so vastly different in present day NFL, it would make sense that the team gaining more yards per pass would have an easier time moving the ball down the field and a easier time scoring the football.

Looking at the wins so far this season in which this stat has reigned true is truly amazing to me. Buffalo (+300) over New England in Week Three. Tennessee (+210) over Baltimore in Week Two. New York Giants (+350) over Philadelphia in Week Three. How about the biggest difference in Yards Per Pass Attempt? Detroit +8.2 YPPA against Kansas City in Week Two. Sure enough, this was the biggest blow-out so far this season (Detroit 48 Kansas City 3).

Now obviously there is no way to simply bet your money pregame on the team which will have a better YPPA, but this is a factor to definitely think about next time your placing a bet. Here is a list of the games this week involving some of the best YPPA to date this season.

Top Five:

#1 New England (9.9) -4 at. #17 Oakland (7.0)
    #2 Dallas (8.7) -1 vs. #7 Detroit (8.1)
    #3 Green Bay -12.5 (8.6) vs. #25 Denver (5.7)
    #4 Houston -3.5 (8.6) vs. #5 Pittsburgh (8.4)

Upset Pick:

Arizona +1 vs. New York. Arizona and New York have identical YPPA so far this season at 7.9. However, at home Arizona averages 10.9 (1st Overall) while New York goes for just 6.8 on the road (22nd overall). Factor this in with the massive let down situation vs. the get up game for Arizona, you may be in luck with the Cardinals this weekend.

Biggest Difference:

Green Bay -12.5 vs. Denver. Green Bay holds the biggest advantage this week over an opponent. Not only is Green Bay 23 spots higher in the YPPA standings, but they hold the biggest difference in YPPA (3.0). At home this season Green Bay has averaged 8.5 YPPA. Denver on the road has gone for just 4.4 a difference of 4.1 YPPA. Don’t be surprised if the Packers run up the scoreboard against the woeful Broncos this weekend.

I am not basing my wagers solely on this by any means, but this is definitely something to keep an eye on and maybe eventually something to factor into your weekly handicapping.

-VJ
    Points Awarded:

4TH AND STUPID gave Vegasjack2 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Pete0

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

punkbhstl
    punkbhstl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

Rabbitbrew
    Rabbitbrew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2333

Are you including sacks (and therefore negative yards) as pass attempts?

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

You may be surprised which active, actually modern era QB tops the YPA list

1. Otto Graham+ 9.0 1946-1955 cle
    2. Sid Luckman+ 8.4 1939-1950 chi
    3. Norm Van Brocklin+ 8.2 1949-1960 2TM
    4. Tony Romo (30) 8.1 2004-2011 dal
    Ben Roethlisberger (28) 8.1 2004-2011 pit
    6. Philip Rivers (29) 8.0 2004-2011 sdg
    Steve Young+ 8.0 1985-1999 2TM
    Aaron Rodgers (27) 8.0 2005-2011 gnb
    9. Kurt Warner 7.9 1998-2009 3TM
    Ed Brown 7.9 1954-1965 3TM
    11. Bart Starr+ 7.8 1956-1971 gnb
    Bob Berry 7.8 1965-1975 2TM
    Matt Schaub (29) 7.8 2004-2011 2TM
    Johnny Unitas+ 7.8 1956-1973 2TM
    15. Earl Morrall 7.7 1956-1976 6TM
    Dan Fouts+ 7.7 1973-1987 sdg
    Len Dawson+ 7.7 1957-1975 3TM
    Roger Staubach+ 7.7 1969-1979 dal
    19. Trent Green 7.6 1997-2008 4TM
    Peyton Manning (34) 7.6 1998-2011 clt
    Sonny Jurgensen+ 7.6 1957-1974 2TM
    Daunte Culpepper 7.6 1999-2009

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

how does YPPA correlate game to game for each QB? team? If you are going to handicap games using this, you need to make sure this doesn't fluctuate game to game

cowboyfan08
    cowboyfan08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Thinking gb blows denver out also!lot of jumping stands!thinkin place will be rockin!rodgers throws 5tds!

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1884

I just checked the stats. This does not work if you compare the current 2011 YPA stats. I got 3 game losses on last weeks games when using this.
    Last edited by GunShard; 09-30-11 at 03:31 AM.

lowroller
    lowroller's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 360

In your top 5 you used overall PYPA, but in the Arizona pick you used Home PYPA....so which is more important/valuable?!

Are your win %s based on overall or home/away #s?

Also what about a team's DEFENSIVE PYPA? Wouldn't that come into play somewhere? After all....part of the reason a team has a high PYPA is because the defense is giving up the yards, right?

Arizona has only 1 home game under their belt...against Carolina...who rank 32nd in PYPA...the Giants rank 16th.
    Last edited by lowroller; 09-30-11 at 03:13 AM.

wquine
    Bet2BLucky
    wquine's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10752

GB will win but denver is a likely backdoor here, not my fav play, but love the infos here, thanks.

calmeat
    calmeat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1849

So i have made a system that takes this into considerations as well.
    But i am using NY/A ▾ -- Net Yards gained per pass attempt
    (minimum 14 attepts per scheduled game to qualify as leader)
    (Passing Yards - Sack Yards) / (Passes Attempted + Times Sacked)

Also the main thing i am looking at is pts per play. taking the teams pts per play and avg it out with the league pts per play and then averaging it with the other teams pts per play allowed. I am tracking it now and first week (week2) it was 8-7-1 ATS last week it was 12-3-1. Hoping as more data is collected the better the system but we will see.

lowroller
    lowroller's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 360

Now if only we could PROJECT the yardage and attempts....

Slykry
    Slykry's Avatar Become A Pro!

Appreciate the information greatly...any link to where we can track this stat for each team for the season?

4TH AND STUPID
    best NFL capper at SBR
    4TH AND STUPID's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1990

keep posting the plays vegasjack..... worth tracking

Limey
    3-3 so far this season
    Limey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 161

Quote Originally Posted by Slykry View Post
    Appreciate the information greatly...any link to where we can track this stat for each team for the season?
    Several decent NFL stats sites carry this stat, it's really not hard to find. Don't be lazy!

I think net yards-per-pass (eg, including the negative yardage from sacks) is more worthwhile than simple yards per pass which is often listed but doesn't include sacks.

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5354

Would appreciate you posting more plays man. Good Thread.

BlindBeggar
    BlindBeggar's Avatar Become A Pro!

SRS. Simple Rating System.

Check it out.

BetGrinder
    BetGrinder's Avatar Become A Pro!

Arizona didn't cover but the Packers won it easily

mp5070
    The Michael Scott Company
    mp5070's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7789

kfranz31
    kfranz31's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1914

good info..thanks

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

According to ESPN, Indianapolis is dead last in the NFL in Yards Per Pass Attempt ranking #32 with a 5.0 average and Tampa Bay is not much better ranked at #25 with a 6.3 average. Since these stats are so close, with a difference of just 1.3 yards separating them, does this mean tonight's game will be closer than the 10 point spread Tampa is laying on Indy?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...PerPassAttempt

Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

This is so colossally stupid. I can't believe people are saying "good info" and "appreciate the information."

It's retarded.

Here, try this one on: bet on the team that scores more points than its opponent after factoring in the spread. 100% ATS last year! This year, too.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerjoe View Post
    This is so colossally stupid. I can't believe people are saying "good info" and "appreciate the information."

It's retarded.

Here, try this one on: bet on the team that scores more points than its opponent after factoring in the spread. 100% ATS last year! This year, too.

Can you please give an example of what you mean by factoring in the spread?

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

It's retarded.

Yeah the OP sounded like an informercial for a tout selling some scam system.

It's not like yards per pass is some sabermetrics new type of stat, pretty sure you're not finding any value the market missed with this stat.

The funniest part is supposedly an oddsmaker shared this stat...then obviously they use it to make the spreads and you wouldn't be able to use it to beat them

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

guy tries to help and gets bashed... gotta love sbr

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Seems the OP is supported in his theory.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2007...in-part-1.html

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    Can you please give an example of what you mean by factoring in the spread?

means teams that covered the spread already (outscored opponents by x points-the spread for that game) a positive number just means they covered the spread..100% ATS but means nothing for next game or for anything else for that matter.

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    guy tries to help and gets bashed... gotta love sbr

who bashed him? I'm the one trying to help you guys so you don't lose your shirt. post didn't make sense, an oddsmaker is sharing info with a gambler and tells him a simple little stat that will win you millions that the oddsmakers don't use when making the line? He's the oddsmaker, if it's so important why aren't they using it?

Simple logic. and I think poker joe was bashing everyone else who posted in the thread, not the guy who posted the thread

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    Seems the OP is supported in his theory.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2007...in-part-1.html

What does that site have to do with the orignial poster? Also that site looks interesting, but I see nothing about gambling or the spread just predicting winners. ATS is different than predicting SU winners, but I do agree with one article big time on there, coach's being too timid. I hate how conservative coaches are in the NFL, they play to "not lose" they don't play to win. Don't believe it, just look how often a team scores in teh last two minutes of the first half. In the "two minute offense" they open it up and are often able to score. Rest of the game they are conservative and less scoring. Makes no sense to me, they should be playing to win.

As for the original poster, he is a tout, or at least a tout wannabe:
    http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...rid=vegasjack2

VegasJacks Sports

IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN

Welcome to VegasJacks sports, we hope we can help you with all your needs. We have various sports packages available for you. From season specials to weekly picks. Our season package comes with a guarantee to make you a winner. Football Packages Available Now

Pre-Season Discount Package for all NFL and NCAA football seasons plus the play-offs and all bowl games 200.00 Save 100.00 from our regular season package. Our second half season rate is 175.00. Weekly rates are pro 25.00 or college 25.00. A daily pick is available from the Dominator or Slammin' Sammy for 10.00. Favorite Links

This tout is peddling his picks on ******* ebay, can't even afford a website

And half the people posted in this thread probably his ghost accounts. He also posted teh same bullshit at covers and RX that he posted here.

And his simple little "system" is more a result of winning and covering than predictive of which team is going to cover the spread going forward. I'm not a big stats guy but that's my opinion of it.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

It's retarded.

Dude, you should publish a book with your system! HOLY CRAP that's genious. I never thought of it that way. Haha, thanks for pointing out the obvious. Good stuff.

Hustler11
    Hustler11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

I don't think making a model based solely on this stat is correct. I do think this is important info though. PokerJoe, stick to poker friend.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    how does YPPA correlate game to game for each QB? team? If you are going to handicap games using this, you need to make sure this doesn't fluctuate game to game
    I second that. Of course a winning team will pass well that game. How can you predict who has highest pass yards per attempt pregame though? I know another stat that correlates to the winning team. TDs per game.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

Quote Originally Posted by Hustler11 View Post
    I don't think making a model based solely on this stat is correct. I do think this is important info though. PokerJoe, stick to poker friend.
    Guy signed up this month, 7 days ago and is putting down pokerjoe

hey pal, if you post good shit for the next 20years here, you might catch up to him

until then, i dont think you know wtf you are saying

Hustler11
    Hustler11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    Guy signed up this month, 7 days ago and is putting down pokerjoe

hey pal, if you post good shit for the next 20years here, you might catch up to him

until then, i dont think you know wtf you are saying
    Just because I signed up on this forum doesn't mean I haven't been doing this awhile. You used the wrong stat. Sign up date on a forum has no correlation to my knowledge in betting. Sorry

p19101
    Giants!
    p19101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
    means teams that covered the spread already (outscored opponents by x points-the spread for that game) a positive number just means they covered the spread..100% ATS but means nothing for next game or for anything else for that matter.
    ^This is the only post that makes sence in this thread

12 Last