nyymvp
    nyymvp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1908

Giants @ Skins

I am a Giants fan so I follow them a lot as well as the other teams in the NFC East.
    I am thinking the play is NYG -3 at risk of sounding a homer.

The Giants traditionally start the year off strongly and then find a way to collapse.

First of all I'd like to address their OL. A lot of people think it's worsened because Beatty is now the LT and Seubert and O'hara are gone, but that is not true. The Giants backup C was much more effective than O'Hara last year as his play really went down last year. Haas should be an upgrade. Now, Diehl was the LT last year, but statistically he was the worst LT in ALL of football last year. He is known for being versatile on the OL, but make no mistake LG is his best position by far. Snee and Mckenzie are amongst the top of their position. So as a whole I believe they actually might have improved.

Eli threw 25 picks last year. That's a staggeringly high number. I don't like making excuses, but a good 10-12 balls were literally tipped by his own WR's. However, the point I have to make is that his WR's were constantly dinged up last year so he could never get in to a rhythm. Smith and Boss are gone, but Manningham has the capability to step up and be a 1000+yards WR and also they have Hixon and Cruz back. Don't forget they have a solid running game in Bradshaw and Jacobs as well. They were 5th in O I believe last year. They should still be able to put up points on this Redskins D.

Now on D they are completely banged up. (Goff, Prince, Osi, Thomas, Austin)

I don't think missing Osi this game is as big as it seems though. Jason Pierre Paul is really something special. Granted, it was just pre season but he was easily able to beat all pro LT Jordan Gross for 2 sacks in the one quarter he played. They also have Mathias Kiwinuka who will be able to move in at times to DE to keep him fresh.

I realize Tuck is questionable, but in all honesty I think he plays. He's the same guy who tore his shoulder labrum, but played through it the entire year a couple years ago.

Aaron Ross and Coe have looked good in the pre season. Skins WR has improved a little with the addition of Hankerson and Cooley coming back, but as a whole they're nothing that gives you nightmares.

I realize they've improved on the defensive side of the ball a lot by improving their pass rush with guys like Kerrigan and Cofield. I like Kerrigan a lot, but Cofield has never played NT before and I think it will take him time to adapt. Also, its not like they have injuries of their own. Laron Landry was hurt for most of the pre season I believe.

Finally, the Giants Special Teams sucked last year! We fans did not begin to despise Dodge after the Philly game. He was terrible all year. Weatherford is an upgrade there.

KR/PR is kind of a mess still, but they have a lot of guys who they like this year like Jernigan and Devin Thomas.

I believe the Giants are a team that thrives under adversity. I'm not saying they make the playoffs, but I think they are good value here.

I'd probably check on Tuck sunday morning before you lock this, but I like their chances. Good luck!

MR.HARRYtheHAT
    MR.HARRYtheHAT's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you look at what the Giants did in the offseason,they depleted Eli Manning’s arsenal of weapons, namely Smith at WR... and Boss at TE.....This is huge SBR members,The Giants lost an unreal number of players in the off-season, the bulk of them on the defensive side of the ball.Terrell Thomas, Marvin Austin, Brian Witherspoon, Jonathan Goff and Clint Sintim are all out for the season.Unavailable for this game,and possibly a few more weeks,are Osi Umenyiora and Prince Amukamara.Justin Tuck is currently listed as questionable for the game as well after suffering a burner against the Jets.have no illusions SRB members.If you look at the preseason injury report to the defense they lost 3 cornerbacks and 2 linebackers and have one of their studs out at De..... Wow!!!!.Washington’s running game with Hightower has vaulted to the next level, and I like them in this game to be a live dogs.Many have back pedaled on early predictions that Washington might win 5 games all year, I am one of the after seeing the preseason, and while they are not a playoff contender, they will compete in every game under Shanahan,I assure you SRB members, and being a home dog is huge motivation,Yet the Giants on name recognition and pre-conceived notions that the Skins are going stink up this year, have the Giants as a road favorite to open the season against a division rival.Rex Grossman took the Bears to the Super Bowl and gets the start over highly liked and touted John Beck, because he earned it.No matter what you think of him, the kid can make plays.the Skins will score and I feel there is no way that Washington in their current state, whether Cooley plays or not,are a 6 point pup here, given the fact the 3 point home advantage added to any power rating puts this at a pickem type game, yet they get 3 points. Also make a nice half of a 6 point tease getting them to +9 in that scenario.

NOTE The Giants passing attack is entirely too complex, and it's become troublesome for many of the receivers. It's based largely on timing and breaks made by receivers.Eli will throw to a spot, and if the receiver isn't where he's supposed to be, it spells disaster each time. Unfortunately, the receivers are given many route options that they can choose to at the point of a break, and as we've seen in the preseason, indecisiveness can also cause major problems for Manning & Co.The Giants are ravaged with injury and have a lot of turnover. Giants fans aren't going to like to hear this, but I see a 7-9 or 8-8 season ahead and that includes a week 1 loss to the Washington Redskins. YOU BET I WILL TAKE THE +3 AT HOME !!!!!!!!!

Wrecked
    Dreamin the live
    Wrecked's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

I like the skins here, their defense was looking dirty in the preseason and I like Grossman to start.
    I'm taking the Titans and the Skins to upset this weekend.

PatrickBateman
    PatrickBateman's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am going to be there right by the 30 yard line 6 rows back, can't wait, just arrived in DC via Dulles....GO GMEN!!!!!!!

Wrecked
    Dreamin the live
    Wrecked's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickBateman View Post
    I am going to be there right by the 30 yard line 6 rows back, can't wait, just arrived in DC via Dulles....GO GMEN!!!!!!!
    I hope the Hoggettes get ya

nyymvp

@Harry: Losing Smith hurts, but as aforementioned he missed about half of the season and Eli was able to adjust without him. Same with Boss, but Gilbride did not really put an emphasis on using him that much in the offence. I think Jake Ballard can fill in decently. The O is complex but Nicks is known for being a film room rat and this is Manningham's 4th year under the same O and QB. If they have problems they still have the power running game to lean on. GL on your play.

Gonz312
    Keep It Simple Stupid
    Gonz312's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8466

I like that you included the redskins upgraded D-Line in you analysis, it seems to be something nobody mentions but is probably the biggest upgrade that will have the most on-field effect this year for the redskins. Cofield performed well at the nose in preseason, it's nice to have someone who may not be a career NT but embraces becoming one unlike Haynesworth. They are the most underrated moves made but will make a worlds difference with the 3-4 scheme. Game could go either way, but it's shocking that nobody ever mentions this upgrade. Last years D-Line was a joke starting with the big lazy Haynesworth who made it even worse by not wanting to compete.

Doesn't surprise me to see people on the skins, like what they did this offseason...very under the radar moves but will make a ton of difference. Being a skins fan, I normally stay away from betting their games. Would lean +3, but the Giants have the skins number as of recent years
    Last edited by Gonz312; 09-10-11 at 05:42 PM.

nyymvp

Had no idea Laron Landry was ruled out. I think Josh Wilson is still trying to figure his way out and should have a hard matchup as he goes against Manningham. Feeling a bit more confident with the Giants passing game now.

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Quote Originally Posted by nyymvp View Post
    Had no idea Laron Landry was ruled out. I think Josh Wilson is still trying to figure his way out and should have a hard matchup as he goes against Manningham. Feeling a bit more confident with the Giants passing game now.
    The Skins got Atogwe from the Rams this offseason. Don't think Landry being out will make that much of a difference. I'm not sold on the Giants offense going into this season. They have to prove to me their worth taking. I like the Skins as home dogs especially in their home opener. If Tuck and Umenyiora are both out of the lineup for the Giants then they'll have zero pass rush. Even shitty Rex Grossman will have himself a good day with time in the pocket.

nyymvp

Quote Originally Posted by D3 Mighty Ducks View Post
    The Skins got Atogwe from the Rams this offseason. Don't think Landry being out will make that much of a difference. I'm not sold on the Giants offense going into this season. They have to prove to me their worth taking. I like the Skins as home dogs especially in their home opener. If Tuck and Umenyiora are both out of the lineup for the Giants then they'll have zero pass rush. Even shitty Rex Grossman will have himself a good day with time in the pocket.

Jason Pierre Paul and Kiwinuka. Of course, even i wouldn't touch them without Tuck. He's the heart and soul of the team.

acampbell2345
    acampbell2345's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

I like the skins here a lot getting points at home. Good luck either way to you this weekend.

Isn't it great to have football back finally.

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by acampbell2345 View Post
    I like the skins here a lot getting points at home. Good luck either way to you this weekend.

Isn't it great to have football back finally.

don't do it.... just don't do it.... Giants win buddy. don't bet on Redskins