naresh8055
    naresh8055's Avatar Become A Pro!

Texans Moving Mario Williams to Linebacker

The Houston Texans are about to make former No. 1 overall pick Mario Williams a part of history in a way. That’s because new Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, the former Dallas Cowboys coach who was hired this offseason, says the team will use Williams at outside linebacker in their new 3-4 defense next season.
    Why is this historic? At 6-foot-7, 290 pounds, Williams is set to become the largest full-time linebacker in NFL history after playing the first five seasons of his career as a defensive end. Williams reportedly will play on the weakside, but Phillips wouldn’t say whether or not Williams will be used exclusively at linebacker or if he will make the switch back to the defensive line at some point in the season. Last season Williams finished with 28 tackles and 8.5 sacks from his end spot.
    This move was made possible largely because the Texans drafted Wisconsin defensive end J.J. Watt with their first-round pick in last week’s NFL draft. Originally it was thought Watt would compete with Antonio Smith for a spot opposite Williams but now both Watt and Smith should start at end. Connor Barwin would be the outside linebacker opposite Williams. The Houston pass rush was a weakness last year and this gets their four best pass-rushers on the field at once. Houston finished 30th in the NFL in defense last year and 32nd against the pass.

St8Ca$homie
    St8Ca$homie's Avatar Become A Pro!

I cant wait to see this monster coming off the edge. But one has to wonder if this guy can play in space at all? I mean he seems like the perfect guy for the 5 tech. I mean thats a really big guy to drop back in coverage , which even if hes only going to play part time at OLB, hes going to have to do. I thought of Watt at the 5 and Williams flying off the same side is scary. The only other guy that i can think of that played 'backer was Levon Kirkland , one of my all time fav's , along w/ that whole linebacking crew. Kirkland was an absolute beast and could move w/ the best of them. For a big man , he had great feet , hips , great player he was. Williams is going to have to do his homework. Coming out of college id say the hardest positions to translate into the NFL are WR , OLB , QB , DB/CB , all those positions are extremly difficult to scout and figure out if a guy can take his game to the next level. The competion when it comes to WR/CB's really hurts that position. DE's that are projected OLB's in the NFL find it extremely difficult to play in space , set the edge , most only have 1 maybe 2 moves , that just wont cut in the NFL. And nowadays systems can/will hurt guys as much as say lack of size to be a OLB. This is going to be very interesting.

Frostware
    Frostware's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5433

might do alright there.

CaptainPrice
    CaptainPrice's Avatar Become A Pro!

gonna be huge, but a coverage exploit

walshy83
    walshy83's Avatar Become A Pro!

The guys a freak of an athlete anyhow. Im sure if Phillips uses him the correct way in the defensive schemes, Williams will have a nice year playing linebacker.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

This should be interesting.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

interesating move, perhaps he´ll have to lost some pounds, since he´ll be mostly standing up, but he´ll be a freak

headhunter34
    headhunter34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 559

6'7" 290lb linebacker... scary

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter34 View Post
    6'7" 290lb linebacker... scary
    Yup, that would scare the living crap out of me. If they use him properly he could have a productive season at linebacker.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Could be a Demarcus Ware-like pass rusher, but this guy should get eaten alive in pass coverage unless he drops about 25 pounds. I know he's not fat now but that's just too big.

knelson
    knelson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Will be interesting. He's gotta be able to drop in coverage every once in a while.

CaptainPrice

He' ll be used primarily in pass rushing in a wade scheme, minimal coverage in short zones
    Fuzzy line between olb and de

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
    He' ll be used primarily in pass rushing in a wade scheme, minimal coverage in short zones
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Wade is a defensive mastermind. If anyone can turn this around, he can.

St8Ca$homie

Yea i cant see this guy playing as a primary OLB

Gio21
    Gio21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

**** the texans and mario williams

CaptainPrice

Quote Originally Posted by Gio21 View Post
    **** the texans and mario williams
    ?

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
    You're right about this. Texans lack strong CB's that can play man coverage, which means much more zone. Williams won't see much coverage duties outside a very minimal short zone. Wade's base def may be 3-4, but he does use alot of 4 man fronts, which will be what Williams is accustomed to.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

Sweet, Peyton will exploit the shit out of this... can you say DALLAS CLARK!!!

St8Ca$homie

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    Sweet, Peyton will exploit the shit out of this... can you say DALLAS CLARK!!!
    Mario Williams will NEVER cover Clark , in the slot , flat , lol nowhere. Williams will not matched up against Clark in coverage ... ever.

biggerleaffan
    biggerleaffan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2618

Houston getting better but not a playoff team yet. Couple years for draft picks to develop.

CaptainPrice

someone make a new thread im tired of looking at this one

JosephPavs
    JosephPavs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

Get the ball only type, he is a stand up dline not olb

St8Ca$homie

I men it can happen , but anything can happen , hell your the DC. But should it happen , should he be standing up for a decent amount of snaps. Hey iv thought about before. Im from Boston , die hard Boston fan and always dreamed about BB trading for him. And you know BB would at least tinker w/ the idea , i mean the guy is an absolute freak. Ive always thought he'd excell at the 3 tech in a 4-3 , but what do i know. Lol hes clearly doing alright at the 5 tech in a 3-4. It all depends on when hes on the field and what position hes playing , what situation , what down/distance , who they opponent is , did i bust on my chicks face or ... all of which are extremely important in determing where hes at on the field.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Quote Originally Posted by St8Ca$homie View Post
    Mario Williams will NEVER cover Clark , in the slot , flat , lol nowhere. Williams will not matched up against Clark in coverage ... ever.
    That's right, never ever. The only short zone coverage Williams will ever see is maybe picking up a halfback or fullback sneaking into the flat or the line.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I don't see Williams dropping out into coverage really all tha tmuch, although he does have the athleticism to play a short zone. I feel bad for the inside LB on his side, he's not going to be blitzing a whole lot.

zr2786
    zr2786's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Why would they do something like that?

JosephPavs
    JosephPavs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

Mario and ware are + or - 5% in every aspect from size to ability...

Pew Pew
    Banned
    Pew Pew's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hmmmm this will be interesting...