EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

NCAA Baseball Picks: Road to Omaha

One of my absolute favorite times of the year as the NCAA Baseball tournament starts on Friday with Regional action. I don't claim to know shit from shit, just sharing my thoughts and the research I put into these picks. Unfortunately not a lot of books post lines for these. 5Dimes will be the book any price in this thread is quoted on. If you find others than provide these lines, please share as I am sure others as well as myself are always looking for other options.

Here is a quick overview and futures look.

Regionals Overview
    There are 16, four team Regionals in play this weekend. Here's a quick & easy place to find the brackets as the tournament unfolds.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/baseball/d1I

I went back through 2010 to take a look at some futures options to start off this weekend. Since 2010, #1 seeds/host teams in Regionals have won 55 of the 80 Regionals. That means the door is open for some upsets. Last year was the craziest in recent memory with nine of the host teams failing to make it out of the Regionals. A whopping FIVE of the National Seeds were done before the Super Regionals. Over that five year span, a National Seed has failed to advance out of the Regionals at least once. So let's ID the National Seeds and which teams might be prone to the upset this weekend.

National Seeds
    UCLA
    LSU
    Louisville
    Florida
    Miami, FL
    Illinois
    TCU
    Missouri State

In looking at the Regionals these National Seeds are involved in + form for these clubs down the stretch, there are four teams that stand out more than the others as ones who could find themselves out this weekend.

Missouri State
    The Bears have a tremendous 1-2 punch in their rotation with Matt Hall & Jon Harris and a great closer in Bryan Young. Their offense is patient as they rank 13th in D1 in OBP with a BA of .292 and 350 runs scored. They have won 16 straight. So how could they lose? For one, a team in this region, Iowa, has beaten them once this season. Secondly, while this team is legit, they have not faced top notch competition for most of the season. Dallas Baptist, another NCAA team, was the best team they faced and they did win 2/3 in that series, but all were one run games. They have not had much if any adversity, so how will they play if they are forced into an early elimination game?

#2 seed Iowa is just solid all-around. Solid pitching depth. Great bullpen. Great defense. The offense is not over powering, but they are decent at .273 with 283 runs scored. They are not going to outslug teams, but in this Regiona that could be okay. They went 5-1 against the best the Big 10 could offer in Illinois & Maryland, so they match up with anyone. The win over Missouri State early in the season should give them confidence as they beat Jon Harris. If they can get past Oregon in their opener, they'll feel they can have a shot to play in the Regional Final.

#3 seed Oregon isn't a typical Ducks team that has stellar pitching. They have a couple of decent lefties leading their rotation with Cole Irvin & David Peterson, but the ERA for this club is a fairly pedestrian 3.68 by their standards. They do however have a superb bullpen with versatility and a dominant closer in Clevinger. The offense doesn't sound intimidating with a .254 BAA, but they do average more than five runs per game thanks to a patient approach that gets them a ton of walks. If you know nothing else about the Ducks, they come into this playing well after beating #1 National Seed UCLA in two of three to end the season. They also scored a win over Oregon State in Corvallis near the tail end of the season & took two more from them in a three game set. They don't look it by the numbers, but this team is sneaky dangerous.

#4 seed Canisius will hope its offense can carry them. They ranked 10th in D1 in runs scored with 420 with a solid OBP that could help set them up for some big enough innings to worry the other teams in this Region. Their pitching is the Achilles Heel with a 4.60 ERA. Their top starter Devon Stewart sports a 3.65 ERA. They are experienced though and they will be going against offenses that don't always put up big numbers. To pull off a huge surprise though, they'll need that starting rotation to keep them competitive into the middle innings and hope their offense gets the big hits they are accustomed to getting.
    The Field @ +250 is the pick to win the Springfield Regional/Risking 1.0 units

TCU
    In all honesty, the other National Seeds' Regions look simple enough for them all to go through. Of course, major surprises do happen, but I have a hard time finding another one. The one team that you could possibly stick onto upset alert would be TCU. Yes, the Frogs have one of the best and deepest pitching staffs in the country. They have a solid offense. They have been great all season. They have experience, but they also come into the tournament with two losses to non-tournament teams in Texas Tech and Baylor in the Big 12 tournament. Maybe it was just a hangover from them wrapping up the regular season title and not really needing it, but last year's World Series club came into the Regionals humming after winning the Big 12 tournament and kept right on going. They have a soft Regional outside of #2 seed, N.C. State. That is the one team that I think could pick them off. Stony Brook & Sacred Heart I don't think will have a chance against them.
    The Field is @ +400 in the Ft.Worth Regional Against TCU, but there might be better value in playing NC State ML when/if they go head-to-head. It's going to be difficult for any of these teams to beat TCU twice.
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 05-28-15 at 10:11 PM.

EaglesPhan36

Other Regionals Futures Picks
    Stillwater Regional
    Field Wins Regional @ +210/Risking 1.0 units

Oklahoma State hosts and the Cowboys have been very good Reynolds Stadium with an 18-6 mark, but this Regional looks loaded with upset possibilities. 2nd seed Arkansas comes out of a loaded SEC where seven teams advanced to the 64 team field. The Razorbacks may not be quite up to par with the Arkansas teams in the recent past, but they can be dangerous in this setting. This is a team that got better as the season wore on and saved some of its better baseball against the best they played, including a series win on the road against Texas A&M. The Hogs also sport the player of the year in OF Andrew Benitendi who hit .391 with 18 HRs and 52 RBI. The big question for Arkansas will be whether they have enough pitching to last here with a team ERA of 4.16. The third seed and perhaps more dangerous than the #2 is Oral Roberts. ORU is one of the best kept secrets to Joe Public with an explosive offense that ranked 2nd in batting average and 11th in runs scored per game. This team isn't just about offense though with a 3.10 ERA and a lockdown closer in senior Anthony Sequeria. This isn't a team that just loaded up on weak teams in the Summit League either, they've beaten Okie State twice already this season. The #4 seed St.John's is definitely the outside as the Big East Champ. The Red Storm don't have the offensive prowess of Oklahoma State or Oral Roberts. Hell, their whole team has one more home run than Benitendi does. What they do have is a couple of solid starters in 2nd team All-America Ryan McCormick and Cody Stashak. They also have a solid closer in Thomas Hackimer. That being said, the Red Storm will be playing their toughest schedule of the season in Stillwater and that could spell a quick two and done.

The Ace in the Hole for Oklahoma State is Pitcher Michael Freeman who went 10-2 with a 1.05 ERA. He's going to be awfully tough to beat whether you've got a mammoth offense like Oral Roberts or not. The key will be beating Stat's other starters. Jon Perrin has the experience, but has been inconsistent this year with a 4.29 ERA and 6-4 record. The Cowboys have an array of versatile bullpen arms to help with a half dozen guys who can start a third game in this setting. It seems likely Freeman will be rested for the 2nd game of the weekend as Oklahoma State opens against St.John's, so I think Perrin will likely slot into the starting spot there even if it's McCormick for the Red Storm. That really sets this Regional up for the 2nd game of the weekend for Oklahoma State to be the key. Oral Roberts is the team that I think has the best shot of knocking out Okie State, but they will need to win their opener against Arkanasas to keep that likely 2nd game against OSU from being an elimination game.

EaglesPhan36

I'm combing over the Friday lines. Much like the NCAA Basketball tournament, I think the key is to not overplay with some many games available. Hoping to find a couple good ones. Will post any picks either tonight or early tomorrow morning before play begins.

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

Keeping it west coast and going with Bruins, nice write up and good luck with your selections.

EaglesPhan36

Just a little key for my picks.
    Any BOLD black is either to risk 0.5 unit or to win 0.5 unit.
    Any BOLD GOLD is either to risk 1.0 unit or to win 1.0 unit.

EaglesPhan36

Friday, May 29th
    Oral Roberts-Arkansas Over 9.5 @ -125
    Charleston @ -120
    Canisius +4.5 @ +100
    Columbia @ +165

EaglesPhan36

Good info site for quick Regional info

baseballamerica.com

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

You one of my fav posters for stuff I know nothing about! Gl EP

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    TCU
    In all honesty, the other National Seeds' Regions look simple enough for them all to go through. Of course, major surprises do happen, but I have a hard time finding another one. The one team that you could possibly stick onto upset alert would be TCU. Yes, the Frogs have one of the best and deepest pitching staffs in the country. They have a solid offense. They have been great all season. They have experience, but they also come into the tournament with two losses to non-tournament teams in Texas Tech and Baylor in the Big 12 tournament. Maybe it was just a hangover from them wrapping up the regular season title and not really needing it, but last year's World Series club came into the Regionals humming after winning the Big 12 tournament and kept right on going. They have a soft Regional outside of #2 seed, N.C. State. That is the one team that I think could pick them off. Stony Brook & Sacred Heart I don't think will have a chance against them.
    The Field is @ +400 in the Ft.Worth Regional Against TCU, but there might be better value in playing NC State ML when/if they go head-to-head. It's going to be difficult for any of these teams to beat TCU twice.
    I went to TCU and completely agree here, I have considered playing the field. TCU has a good pitching staff, but an inconsistent offense that can easily be shut down by NC State. TCU underachieved this year based on talent and I don't see them making the CWS like last year.

EaglesPhan36

Yeah the Big 12 was weaker than expected, so their record is boosted some against a lot of questionable competition.

Honestly though would not have even given this a thought without the tourney hiccups against Tech & Baylor. Will be tough to get to Omaha with A&M likely in the Supers. That will be a great series though if it happens.

EaglesPhan36

Charleston gives up 3 runs with two outs.
    😨

EaglesPhan36

Walk off job for Charleston in extras & the over hits to start out nicely. Columbia ahead in the 6th.

EaglesPhan36

Add (Friday, May 29th)
    Clemson @ +100

EaglesPhan36

Last one for today, done looking over all the single games for Friday.

Add (Friday, May 28th)
    Dallas Baptist-VCU Over 8.5 @ -125

EaglesPhan36

Canisus-Missouri State postponed until tomorrow due to weather.

EaglesPhan36

DSI has some MLs & spreads up! No totals though.

EaglesPhan36

Must be Kismet to see former N.C. State stud pitching for the White Sox against the Astros on the 1st day of the NCAA Tournament. That dude was a ballin' bad ass for the Pack.

EaglesPhan36

Well Clemson really melted down late.

EaglesPhan36

Actually trying one more side as I missed this one before. It's a repeat of a mid-season match-up. Tulane won, but I think maybe they are trying to be too smart in bringing back the same pitcher who won that game against a potent UNC-Wilmington lineup. They are hoping the lefty will negate the lefty lineup. Wilmington saw a lefty in their finale against Charleston and beat him up pretty good. Wilmington's pitching is atrocious from a starting standpoint, but Tulane's offense is one of the worse to make it to the postseason. If UNCW can get a decent start from Ryan Foster - their best option, I think their offense is going to score runs.

Add (Friday, May 29th)
    UNC-Wilmington @ +105

EaglesPhan36

Alright, so 3-0 on the 1.0 unit plays today and 1-1 so far on the 0.5 unit plays with Wilmington to finish the night. They just started in Baton Rouge. Gotta go grind through the match-ups for tomorrow as I see 5Dimes starting to put up match-ups. TCU looked strong against a weak #4 seed tonight. Oklahoma State looked a bit vulnerable against St.John's winning 5-4, still like someone other than the Pokes to win that Region.

EaglesPhan36

Record: 5-1 [+3.85]

EaglesPhan36

Saturday, May 30th
    Wright State-Ohio Over 10.5 @ -130
    TCU-N.C. State Under 7.5 @ -125
    La. Lafayette +160
    Charleston +125

Canisius +4.5 @ +105

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

Thanks for posting EP

Lets hope the Hogs beat the Pokes tomorrow!

When is that stud pitcher supposed to pitch for Oklahoma State?

EaglesPhan36

Should be Saturday. Believe they announced it after the game.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Record: 5-1 [+3.85]
    awesome job bro, i tailed the 1st 3 and came home to 3-0 up 1.35u..

mikewlgm
    mikewlgm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

Good picks

EaglesPhan36

Houston Regional may be hit and miss with the weather today. F-ing rain is hammering us down here in TX. Needs to stop!

Add (Saturday, May 30th)
    Stony Brook-Sacred Heart Over 10.5 @ +100

EaglesPhan36

Real disappointing effort from Oral Roberts this weekend in Stillwater, still have to like that St.John's played tough against Okie State and Arkansas' offense was awake against ORU. Big time game today if this future is going to have any legs. Would be massive if the #Omahogs found a way to beat Freeman.

EaglesPhan36

Canisius has officially tapped out for the day. Destroyed in the middle innings by Mizzou State.

EaglesPhan36

Dallas Regional washed out today. Not raining here now, but field conditions are garbage because of the rain. Maybe invest in a tarp? Or a protective dome?

EaglesPhan36

Add (Saturday, May 30th)
    UCSB-USC Under 8.5 @ -135

EaglesPhan36

Add (Saturday, May 30th)
    CS Bakersfield @ +145

EaglesPhan36

Think that is it for me today. Finally got to look over the full slate of games. Good luck to you guys.

EaglesPhan36

Well the big bet of the day suspended until tomorrow mid-game, so the bet stands. 7 runs early Wright State-Ohio, hopefully they continue to score when they resume tomorrow.

blaster32
    blaster32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3569

Go Bakersfield!!!!!!! They are throwing their #1 today

1234 ... Last