Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13279

Chasing and gambling do NOT mix. Quit now if you can't stop chasing or pace yourself.

RollinDo
    Pickin' up Momentum with every lost Bet!
    RollinDo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5251

Problem is most of us "think" we can get back to even, but most of us never do.
    Very few make a profit in this...takes much discipline, studying just the right amount, some breaks from time to time, and ....ah, what the heck do I know...I'm in the red!

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Only the luckiest SOB's win at this game! Everyone has access to the same information, can run numbers and find edges.....but end of the day, who is lucky. Certainly not me.....its been proven time and time again. Just check my week, lol. Not just losses, a high percentage were brain rattling screw jobs in the final seconds.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20256

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Only the luckiest SOB's win at this game! Everyone has access to the same information, can run numbers and find edges.....but end of the day, who is lucky. Certainly not me.....its been proven time and time again. Just check my week, lol. Not just losses, a high percentage were brain rattling screw jobs in the final seconds.
    When it rains it pours.

RollinDo

Yeah - same happened to me. Another problem I have is listening to others' opinions on games instead of going with my leans.
    If I lose big one day, I'm learning to shake it off and just try to win the next day...not to win it back, but just have a winning day.
    Man - even with winning streaks, there come losing streaks that negate those wins most often.
    By day's end, I feel good or bad depending on my betting success...that needs to change! And for you too pal. Otherwise, things are not going to get better.

sportsguy04
    [Too Long]
    sportsguy04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2431

Game of swings.. I lost $2000 in 1 week. Was sick... Took 3 days off, then won $2000.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Quote Originally Posted by sportsguy04 View Post
    Game of swings.. I lost $2000 in 1 week. Was sick... Took 3 days off, then won $2000.
    I have no doubts you did......I have the same swings all the time. When your winning, you feel like nothing can bring you down, its amazing. When you lose, it effects your mood in your every day activites, job, everything. Is it worth it?

SSSuperSergSSS
    SSSuperSergSSS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 673

Quote Originally Posted by Skin24 View Post
    If your betting on tennis you need a life. How much money have you won in you gambling career. I'm sure it's ---big bucks (--big bucks means in the red for a retard like you)
    Have I ever said anything to you you?? Have I given you problems??? Skin24 you muppet !!!!! I tried to help Reg with out praise or shit but you just couldn't keep your mouth shut! My tip won easily you low life rubbish, hope regul8r tailed and I helped mate , after all that what we do here

Skin24
    Skin24's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SSSuperSergSSS View Post
    Have I ever said anything to you you?? Have I given you problems??? Skin24 you muppet !!!!! I tried to help Reg with out praise or shit but you just couldn't keep your mouth shut! My tip won easily you low life rubbish, hope regul8r tailed and I helped mate , after all that what we do here

He needs help not advise on how to tail you on tennis.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Congrats on the winner Serg.........but Skin24 is right, I'm not making plays right now.....I'm trying to get my life back in order, which will involve me trying to forget about my debts somehow. If I was debt free, I don't think this would be quite as tough.....this wrinkle makes me uneasy.

SSSuperSergSSS
    SSSuperSergSSS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 673

Congrats on the winner Serg.........but Skin24 is right, I'm not making plays right now.....I'm trying to get my life back in order, which will involve me trying to forget about my debts somehow. If I was debt free, I don't think this would be quite as tough.....this wrinkle makes me uneasy.
    I have been in the game along time mate, I've been down and out and know how you feel. The problem is chasing and pressure. You have to leave and forget about it all and start fresh. Right now you are in shit so a break is what's probably needed.

dawgs777
    dawgs777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1606

its internet sports betting that's sickkkkk. click of a button. just like internet poker. its the click. clickin clkickin sickness, its a fkn sickness. ITS THE FKN ACTION WE FIEND............

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

take a couple weeks. figure out what's important.

live life.
    dont dwell on losses.
    youre alive, thats a damn good accomplishment right there

RollinDo

Quote Originally Posted by THam12 View Post

live life.
    dont dwell on losses.
    What he said...probably stole the words from Skin.
    (Totally joking man!)

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Guys in last 2 days ive lost over 4 months worth of salary. !
    Why would someone as experienced as you are in gambling (if you have been posting since 2007) be willing to even gamble 4 months of your salary?

Just gamble disposable recreational type income. If you start getting into gambling money that you actually need (like mortgages, bills, etc) - you might have a severe problem.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Quote Originally Posted by bphone View Post
    I promised myself that if I lose my current bankroll I would stop loll
    I'm like that too - but in order to check myself if I crap out I usually only reup my account for $50 or $100 bucks at a time. So I'm never actually gambling that much.

I am just a beginner, and I took $100 and made it all the way up to $3,600 in February alone. On March 1st, I wanted to get to 4,000, so I put a ML bet of (Michigan State/Nebraska/Minnesota) (900 to win 500). MSU ends up losing to Illinois.. I then still wanted to hit my goal, so I bet the rest of it (about 2,600 on VCU/Kentucky). Kentucky lost to South Carolina - and I was done. I wiped out a full month of sound gambling and profit in one afternoon. Lesson learned ---> money mgmt. Never going to make that mistake again.

I learned the most important lesson I could ever learn in gambling for me. That is the maximum amount of bet I am willing to make (and lose), and have it NOT affect my future bets. Basically, whats the most money I can lose and not want to start chasing. I came to the conclusion that it is $300. So I will never bet more than $300 on a game or parlays of games again no matter how large my bankroll gets. Thats my tipping point of getting pissed off and wanting to make it back.

Lot of good comments in this thread about why people get into gambling. For me i just started back in October, but really I have nothing else in my life that interests me or presents a challenge. I already got all my schooling done - advanced degrees even, I've been in the same stable job for 8 years. I was married to a wonderful girl for about 6 yrs ( no kids), and we end up getting divorced and since the divorce I've just been sort of aimlessly going thru my life (its only been about 1yr since we officially broke up). I guess since I dont have the responsiblity of knowing I have to take care of her, I just took up gambling because I have nothing else to stimulate my mind. I'm sure there's other things to blow your money on, and I've thought about day trading or stuff like that but I dont have the time to do it and I think I know more about sports than stocks. But in reality, I'd give up gambling altogether if I ever got married again. But right now I feel like a depressed widower. Gambling on sports makes me feel like a winner (when I do win). It makes me think that God isnt against me all the time. I think thats why I do it.

Sometimes i'm so depressed about my own personal life that gambling losses dont even matter to me. There's way more important things in life than worrying about losing money. I lost $344 last week when Illinois hit a shot at the buzzer to beat Iowa. Didnt even blink an eye. Is what it is.

OP - at least you have your wife. Thats the most important thing. Cherish that. When you lose your family and dont really know how to start over or feel out of place being alone - its a tough thing. I hope you dont go thru that.
    Last edited by Plaza23; 03-15-14 at 01:54 AM.
    Points Awarded:

erocking gave Plaza23 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

LTCOL27 gave Plaza23 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Skin24

Quote Originally Posted by THam12 View Post

live life.
    dont dwell on losses.
    I hope THam12 does the same. I told him to take the day off and not dwell on his losses. He needs to figure out what is important to him!!!! I'm trying to help this young man!!!!
    Last edited by Skin24; 03-15-14 at 04:20 PM.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Plaza...deep stuff my man! I hope you get things together buddy. If i dont change, Ill be right in the same spot. Time
    To pull it together, almost through day 2. I can do this

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

Quote Originally Posted by Skin24 View Post
    I hope THam12 does the same. I told him to take the day off and not dwell on his losses. He needs to figure out what is important to him!!!! I'm trying to help this young man!!!!
    why is my name in every post you make on every thread?
    self esteem issues.

erocking
    erocking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 746

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    I'm like that too - but in order to check myself if I crap out I usually only reup my account for $50 or $100 bucks at a time. So I'm never actually gambling that much.

I am just a beginner, and I took $100 and made it all the way up to $3,600 in February alone. On March 1st, I wanted to get to 4,000, so I put a ML bet of (Michigan State/Nebraska/Minnesota) (900 to win 500). MSU ends up losing to Illinois.. I then still wanted to hit my goal, so I bet the rest of it (about 2,600 on VCU/Kentucky). Kentucky lost to South Carolina - and I was done. I wiped out a full month of sound gambling and profit in one afternoon. Lesson learned ---> money mgmt. Never going to make that mistake again.

I learned the most important lesson I could ever learn in gambling for me. That is the maximum amount of bet I am willing to make (and lose), and have it NOT affect my future bets. Basically, whats the most money I can lose and not want to start chasing. I came to the conclusion that it is $300. So I will never bet more than $300 on a game or parlays of games again no matter how large my bankroll gets. Thats my tipping point of getting pissed off and wanting to make it back.

Lot of good comments in this thread about why people get into gambling. For me i just started back in October, but really I have nothing else in my life that interests me or presents a challenge. I already got all my schooling done - advanced degrees even, I've been in the same stable job for 8 years. I was married to a wonderful girl for about 6 yrs ( no kids), and we end up getting divorced and since the divorce I've just been sort of aimlessly going thru my life (its only been about 1yr since we officially broke up). I guess since I dont have the responsiblity of knowing I have to take care of her, I just took up gambling because I have nothing else to stimulate my mind. I'm sure there's other things to blow your money on, and I've thought about day trading or stuff like that but I dont have the time to do it and I think I know more about sports than stocks. But in reality, I'd give up gambling altogether if I ever got married again. But right now I feel like a depressed widower. Gambling on sports makes me feel like a winner (when I do win). It makes me think that God isnt against me all the time. I think thats why I do it.

Sometimes i'm so depressed about my own personal life that gambling losses dont even matter to me. There's way more important things in life than worrying about losing money. I lost $344 last week when Illinois hit a shot at the buzzer to beat Iowa. Didnt even blink an eye. Is what it is.

OP - at least you have your wife. Thats the most important thing. Cherish that. When you lose your family and dont really know how to start over or feel out of place being alone - its a tough thing. I hope you dont go thru that.

mm hmm health, family comes first. As far as the chasing goes, you and everybody will do it. Gambling is an impulsive thing because it releases dopamine in our system ,which makes us feel amazing. I said I wont do a stupid ml bet but i did it twice. I recover a few bets , but still in the hole. When you think you going to double down or go beyond your reach. Think. Walk around . Walk your dog. drink a cup of water. Just spend 10 mins and think what you can do with that money.

I think the worse part of gambling is that you lose the value of money. 50 dollar bets, 100 dollar bets seems like nothing when its electronic.

erocking
    erocking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 746

Plaza...deep stuff my man! I hope you get things together buddy. If i dont change, Ill be right in the same spot. Time
    To pull it together, almost through day 2. I can do this
    for sure. Every morning, nothing better than kissing your love, smelling them, and just enjoying the simplest pleasure in life. Gambling is great and it feels great, but doesn't replace a lot of other stuff.

Don't be too hard on yourself, go get some coffee , or read a paper. Go to the grocery store and get a piece of steak, grill it, and just enjoy.

Skin24

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post

What a great post. I'm going to write a book about this gambling habit Plaza. Can I add some statements from your post?

I just started on the forum and think God gave me a reason to be on this platform. It's not to give winning picks or tout I'm the best. As a older man who has had many life experiences compared to most of the people I see posting. I can tell you most on this site (99%) have no business gambling. If you are going to do this, do it for fun or have strict money management. Only money management and grinding it out will make you money. I have been on a hot streak and now I'm worried someone will BET THE FARM, HOUSE , OR EVERYTHING THEY HAVE ON MY NEXT PICK!!!!! I ADVISE ANYONE NOT TO BET MORE THEN 5% OF BANKROLL ON ANY ONE GAME OR PARLAY. IF THEY ARE SHOULD QUIT NOW!!!!!! IF YOUR JUST DOING THIS FOR BIG EVENTS THEN SET A LIMIT ON WHAT YOU CAN LOSE AND DEPOSIT AND BET AND DON'T RELOAD. MANY ON THIS SITE AND IN THIS POST ARE LOSING BIG AND CAUSING HARD SHIP TO THEM AND IN SOME CASES THEIR FAMILIES. ITS SUNDAY GUYS AND I HAVE SAID A PRAYER FOR EVERYONE ON THIS POST. IF YOUR ADDICTED GET HELP NOW!!!!! IF YOUR LOSING SLEEP BECAUSE OF YOUR GAMBLING LOSSES THEN YOU NEED HELP. THIS IS REAL TALK NOT BS GUYS.

LOVE YA BROS
    Last edited by Skin24; 03-16-14 at 08:15 AM.
    Points Awarded:

mikmik gave Skin24 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

mikmik
    mikmik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15907

Dude I hate to say it, but as some posters said this has happened before. You will be back betting in no time. You being on the website will lead you right back. You said your peace and now I see you posting about the plays you made. If you are serious about stopping then get off sbr.

IWANTMONEY
    IWANTMONEY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

I agree. If you dont go cold turkey you are just torturing yourself. PLaying "what-if" scenarios in your mind. Sooner or later you will try one and the cycle will restart. Look in the mirror and tell yourself you are a bad gambler and have no self-control where betting is concerned. Its not for you.
    Maybe even stop watching sport for a little while.

mikmik

You will start playing small again. Win them cycle will be back in no time. I did same thing. But now I have learned to be very strict and selective on plays. I wager a smidgen to what I use to. I'm happy if I win 100 for the day. Not loose 600 in two games.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Mikmik. I have not poster plays or anything of the sort since thursday. I have this thread open on my phone, and its the only thread ive looked at all weekend. Theres been some awesome advice that im grateful ive been able to read. Some posters have really opened up, what more can you ask for? If you dont want to support my cause, simply dont respond. Im trying my best here.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Reg are you gambling today?

zxc
    zxc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2589

BOL

mikmik

Dude I'm rooting for you. But you being on sbr is just keeping flame alive. Jmo. I hope you beat the addiction.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Reg are you gambling today?
    Yes...gambling on life!

Regul8er
    Wordd

3 Days down boys! Made it through a difficult weekend. Was close about 2-3 times in making the dreaded click, but talked myself out of it each time. Now this week will be a challenge! I'm involved in a few bracket contests, a few free based on some older deposits.....so I'll fill those guys out, and keep it at that.

Regul8er
    Wordd

5 Days boys! Gotten at least 40 hours of sleep in the last 5 days, definitely feeling better. Working out daily and leaving for vacation next Thursday. Thanks for those who have said a prayer.......been doing well early here.

buckeyez1fan
    buckeyez1fan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 475

5 Days boys! Gotten at least 40 hours of sleep in the last 5 days, definitely feeling better. Working out daily and leaving for vacation next Thursday. Thanks for those who have said a prayer.......been doing well early here.
    Congrats man, Nobody wants to be in the situation where you hit rock bottom but you decided to set an example of yourself which could become a reality for any of us. Although your situation is different then mine, the addiction has affected me negatively. College kid here that has spent 4 hours a day at least this spring semester that should of been devoted to studies. I have made a net profit of over 700 dollars over the past 2.5 months but the added stress to my life and loss of sleep staying up late to watch games then waking up several hours later and earlier then i needed to just to handicap games has really worn met out. I find myself much happier and not waking up every morning worrying about whether or not my night picks won or lost. After reading your story I kind of looked myself in the mirror and realized i don't want to let my situation spiral out of control. Congrats on your journey and I hope you stay strong man.

jonblaze2424
    jonblaze2424's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 347

My best friend has lost over 9,000 since the start of the new year, and the kid has a job where he makes maybe $38,000 salary (you do the math). We've tried shutting him down, but it just won't stop. He's won the last week or two, but it's tough to see someone just burn their money like that (especially cause probably half of it was the dreaded online blackjack, might as well light money on fire). All while hiding this from his girlfriend and still being the gentleman he is, paying for stuff and all that...just destroyed his savings and then some

I for one find myself betting always, but I have money management enough to where I can still pay my bills and have extra money to do things. It's fun, it's a rush, it makes nights interesting especially if you lead a repetitive boring life...but for your own sake and well being, just cut it. It's a true test to your character to see if you accomplish your goal, and I wish you best of luck

OMGChoGath
    OMGChoGath's Avatar Become A Pro!

Personally I went broke 3 times at this before I started having any success. I was rolled pretty deep to begin with from online poker, but winning long term at this takes an entirely different approach. I'm finally ahead $ lifetime now after much grinding to erase huge chases.

First 123456 Last