DedesSports
    DedesSports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 282

Spread to Half lines

Hi All,

There must be for sure an easy explanation for what I am going to ask, but as I don't follow that much Basketball I feel a bit lost.

So, I was having a look at the NBA Summer League half lines and noticed that they are not the half of the FT Line. Of course I was not expecting it to be the perfect half, but was also not expecting to find so big differences as I did after doing same research. So basically, HT lines are around 52% to 57% of the Match Line:

Three examples:

Cleveland v Toronto 18th of May
    FT Spread -11.5
    HT Spread -7.5

Golden State v Portland 4th of April
    FT Spread -11.5
    HT Spread -7

Golden State v Nicks 17th of May
    FT Spread -15
    HT Spread -9.5

I do understand that, as these are closing lines, the starting ones could have been more close to the half point, but still is clear that the 1st half line is not 50% of the FT Line.
    I have searched a bit around to see if there are analysis about this on the Web and I found nothing. For instance, for soccer, I found many texts saying that the goals expectation on the 2nd half in bigger than on the 1st.
    Can anyone provide my an explanation and also how I could more or less preview what would be the 1st half line based on the FT Line ?

Thanks

Trep
    Trep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2842

Many times when one team is blowing out another team or there's a clear mismatch, 2nd half the winning team puts in more bench and doesn't continue blowing them out partially out of respect and partially due to just resting their better players.

This doesn't happen as much in games that matter like playoffs etc, but summer league obviously doesn't matter

DedesSports
    DedesSports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 282

Quote Originally Posted by Trep View Post
    Many times when one team is blowing out another team or there's a clear mismatch, 2nd half the winning team puts in more bench and doesn't continue blowing them out partially out of respect and partially due to just resting their better players.
    OK, I understand that from looking at the way FT Spread is divided. How can that be backed up ? I mean, what stats should I collect to check that ? And what type of formula should be used to go from FT Line to HT line ?

Thanks