MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

NBA Draft 2015 Discussion Thread

Only one week to go until the 2015 NBA draft. This year's draft has a ton of talent in the lottery picks and who goes after #1 is all still up in the air. Some very very talented European prospects this year. The top 10 picks has everything to offer. Some very athletic point guards who can score very effectively, some wings who can shoot and get to the basket at a high level, and of course very athletic big men, many of whom can stretch the floor with their range.

I think the Lakers take Jahlil at #2. I don't think they can assume Ed Davis will ever become anything more than a supporting role player.

• While Okafor cannot stretch the floor like Towns or Porzingis, he certainly provides the ability to draw double teams in bad matchups and, ultimately, get the ball to the guys who are going to be doing the majority of the Laker's scoring.

• Randle and him down low will make an interesting team front court.They both excel in areas where the other does not. Randle is a banger who will hit the offensive glass hard and get to the line. Okafor is less physical but has the potential to be a prolific post scorer.

As long as Kobe is taking 22 shots a game, we will not see this combo do much offensively but it sounds like Kobe's reign of terror is coming to a close soon.

I will do some more team fit analysis. I need to actually do some work at work.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave MoMoneyMoVaughn 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

kosmos4
    kosmos4's Avatar Become A Pro!

Okafor might turn out to be the next andrew bynum.

gives me the heebie jeebies

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

He can't really defend the rim. Bynum was not as good a post scorer in college. I think the Lakers are buried for the next season anyways. If they take Okafor we will not see anything he is capable of offensively until 2016/17 season.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

I got -200 on Towns to go first pick

Other Han that I think Stanley Johnson should go top 5 but hopefully falls to Pistons. (Knowing the stones they'll fukk up their pick tho)

I actually think the 2nd round is loaded with talent too

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    I got -200 on Towns to go first pick

Other Han that I think Stanley Johnson should go top 5 but hopefully falls to Pistons. (Knowing the stones they'll fukk up their pick tho)

I actually think the 2nd round is loaded with talent too
    I also locked in Towns -200 a few weeks back on your recommendation Dom. Not sure you could get that good a number now.

Pistons can have Johnson if they want him I figure. I just don't think any other team in the top 7 will be able to pass up the talent on the top of the board. Even then I would probably rather take Winslow over Johnson.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Yeah I feel good about the Towns bet. Speculations popping up that Okafor could even drop to 3 or 4.

I personally like Stanley Johnson cuz he has raw talent and a born winner. I think he won 2 or 3 straight HS state championships. Good size and athleticism. Will develop his shot even more as a pro and he's already a terrific defender. High potential but there's not a ton of value in drafting SFs... Could be only 5 or 6 drafted this year and I would put Johnson at the top of that list, followed by Anderson, Dekker then Winslow.

Might sound crazy but I don't think Winslow is worth a top 15 pick. He's 'sexy' and trending top 5 due to a good tournament run and a championship but I don't see him belonging on an NBA floor right away, from the many hours I've watched of him. He's not comfortable with the ball, not big/strong/fast enough to drive and won't be an immediate sharp shooter either.

survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    Yeah I feel good about the Towns bet. Speculations popping up that Okafor could even drop to 3 or 4.

I personally like Stanley Johnson cuz he has raw talent and a born winner. I think he won 2 or 3 straight HS state championships. Good size and athleticism. Will develop his shot even more as a pro and he's already a terrific defender. High potential but there's not a ton of value in drafting SFs... Could be only 5 or 6 drafted this year and I would put Johnson at the top of that list, followed by Anderson, Dekker then Winslow.

Might sound crazy but I don't think Winslow is worth a top 15 pick. He's 'sexy' and trending top 5 due to a good tournament run and a championship but I don't see him belonging on an NBA floor right away, from the many hours I've watched of him. He's not comfortable with the ball, not big/strong/fast enough to drive and won't be an immediate sharp shooter either.
    Not a ton of value drafting SFs??? You gotta be joking right? Tell that to the Warriors. And to say Winslow will be worse than Dekker and Johnson is very questionable. As if Johnson and Dekker are "sharp shooters" lol...

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

SFs who can shoot and get to the rim are very valuble in today's NBA. That's why I think Hezonja will be a very good player in a few years. In his limited play at Barca he has looked good.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

I guarantee you that SF is the least drafted position this year.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

I'm hearing this kid Kristaps Porzingis is skyrocketing up the charts. There is a chance Philly might take him at three.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

He has but it is because of his defender-less work out.

He should go top five.

Hezonja is in Spanish playoffs right now. If he did a work out he would probably be skyrocketing as well.

Philly desperately needs a point guard from what I can tell. I am guessing that they will take Russell.

The Giant

Russell is certainly the safer pick.

I'm wondering if the Lakers would dare take a flyer on him. Probably not, but you never know.

I love the NBA draft. It's way better than the NFL draft.

htown1
    htown1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

have heard Lakers considering Russell as well. In a PG dominated western conference if they want to win longterm probably the right thing to do. Size is overrated these days with teams playing small ball. Plus Okafar definitely still has a lot of question marks.

htown1
    htown1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post

I'm wondering if the Lakers would dare take a flyer on him. Probably not, but you never know.

its not even close. Most NBA drafts your out of talent by the 7th pick and your hoping to just to draft role players. Luckily this year like last is a deep draft though. NFL draft is a different animal.

The Giant

Quote Originally Posted by htown1 View Post
    its not even close. Most NBA drafts your out of talent by the 7th pick and your hoping to just to draft role players. Luckily this year like last is a deep draft though. NFL draft is a different animal.
    The NFL draft is too slow, 15 minutes between picks is ridiculous. Plus, it's hard to gauge the talent of an offensive lineman.

kosmos4

Quote Originally Posted by htown1 View Post
    Not really, almost every year you get a gem or two at the 2nd/3rd round unlike in nfl where talent really runs out fast.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Quote Originally Posted by kosmos4 View Post
    Not really, almost every year you get a gem or two at the 2nd/3rd round unlike in nfl where talent really runs out fast.
    Hmmm yeah you're right, LOTS of gems to be found in the THIRD round of NBA draft...

kosmos4

Not saying lots but there are rare times where a good player comes out of it

The iceman was selected at the 3rd round, mark eaton was 4th, artis gilmore was found in the 7th

Then there are those who were not drafted at all (john starks, ben wallace, brad miller, etc)

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Are you aware that there are only TWO rounds in the NBA draft nowadays?

For my entire life there has only been 2 rounds.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Bobby Portis will be one of the best players to come out of this draft

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

we will just pretend you are being stupid.

tell me where tom brady and curtis martin were drafted?

kosmos4

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    we will just pretend you are being stupid.

tell me where tom brady and curtis martin were drafted?

We will just pretend that you are not the least respected poster on this forum.

stick to your consistently mush 88x airbets you masala eating dork

lakerboy

We will just pretend that you are not the least respected poster on this forum.

stick to your consistently mush 88x airbets you masala eating dork

nice try dumb motherfukker. does the nba have a third round faggiot?

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post

I think you go for broke on okafor. But trading down to get russel would be good. They have no guards in the guard heavy western conference

lakerboy

under no circumstances can the lakers take okafor. he DOES not fit the current nba model

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    He can't really defend the rim. Bynum was not as good a post scorer in college. I think the Lakers are buried for the next season anyways. If they take Okafor we will not see anything he is capable of offensively until 2016/17 season.
    Bynum never went to college.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Who am I thinking of?

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    I was thinking of Zach Randolph

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Some thoughts on Mario Hezonja.

He has the athleticism and pure shooting skill to be a high efficiency 20ppg guy in NBA. He is very cocky. Will take some bad shots but I think he will do best playing with a pass first point guard who can get him the ball in good situations. He does not seem like the kinda guy who can create his own shots or slash coming off a screen. I guess it remains to be seen how he will develop as a player.

lotterypick87
    lotterypick87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

Okafor is the best player in the draft. Towns will get exposed in the league.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Quote Originally Posted by lotterypick87 View Post
    Okafor is the best player in the draft. Towns will get exposed in the league.
    He is not a rim protector. He will not be able to bully guys in the post like he did in College. I would not expect him to nearly as efficient a scorer.

Rim protection is part of the gig and without it someone else will have to do it and change the composition of the lineup.

I think it is much easier to develop post play skills than it is to improve / develop defensive instincts. Towns is a much better athlete. Skills just need some sharpening.

bigballa
    bigballa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4154

you just watch saunders fcuk up...... -200 sounds ok but the wolves cant draft for shT i know david kahn is gone but even flip's moves have you wondering....we shall see

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Quote Originally Posted by bigballa View Post
    you just watch saunders fcuk up...... -200 sounds ok but the wolves cant draft for shT i know david kahn is gone but even flip's moves have you wondering....we shall see
    Nobody tops Dumars as far as making dumbass draft picks lol

lotterypick87
    lotterypick87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    He is not a rim protector. He will not be able to bully guys in the post like he did in College. I would not expect him to nearly as efficient a scorer.

Rim protection is part of the gig and without it someone else will have to do it and change the composition of the lineup.

I think it is much easier to develop post play skills than it is to improve / develop defensive instincts. Towns is a much better athlete. Skills just need some sharpening.
    His defense is much better than people think. His skill level is much higher than Towns. He also possesses a much higher IQ. Hes going to be a better version of Al Jefferson. I don't see Towns on that level at all.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Towns clear number 1

This kid from Africa who played in China is big big time too..I think a guard

1234 Last