Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

Australian Rugby League Asks Books To Not Offer Exotic Props

An Australian NRL rugby league player has recently been busted for betting on opposition players he was directly defending against to score.

He's been banned for life.

And the league have told bookmakers to stop offering props that can be easily manipulated.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-...dc1bc1b26f61a7

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18965

Spot-fixing is a big issue in a lot of sports. Hard to feel sorry for bookies who promote it and sportsmen, (like the Sutton back-up goalie), who fall foul of it.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20513

Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    Spot-fixing is a big issue in a lot of sports. Hard to feel sorry for bookies who promote it and sportsmen, (like the Sutton back-up goalie), who fall foul of it.
    Agree, but I really can't see that the goalie eating a pie is a serious problem for the sport. It wasn't in any way a part of the game which could be seen to threaten it's integrity. Just a harmless stunt along the same lines as the political reporter changing the colour of his ties during the election coverage.

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.

That wasn't serious but Le Tissier, (and others), are probably the tip of the iceberg.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post

Agree, but I really can't see that the goalie eating a pie is a serious problem for the sport. It wasn't in any way a part of the game which could be seen to threaten it's integrity. Just a harmless stunt along the same lines as the political reporter changing the colour of his ties during the election coverage.
    I agree he should have just got a slap on the wrist and stern warning for that one.

But can't really complain too hard when he had signed a contract agreeing not to do exactly what he did. (rig a betting market and knowingly let people know to bet it)

Can't believe Phil Rothfield is arguing Simona should not get a life ban for betting on the guy he was marking to score though. Can't think of any worse sort of match fixing in a team sport. http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/tim...2712470d7c8b76

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.

Depends on the evidence and amounts involved. Simona is accused of spot-fixing rather than match-fixing. Spot-fixing can be a grey area and it's normally harder to prove. The problem is once someone has crossed a spot-fixing line it's easier for them to cross a match-fixing line. If he's guilty I hope he gets a long ban. Looking at what drug cheats get, and what has happened in sports like cricket, I can see the CAS reducing any ban to 4 years on appeal.

hedgejob
    hedgejob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5164

If they were serious they would ask books to stop rugby betting completely.

There is much more sinister happening than the public know about.

This is just an attempt to tell us the NRL is on top of it all.