View New Posts
12
  • Thread Tools
  1. #1
    Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 3,712
    Betpoints: 1922

    TVG analysts?

    Anyone follow the picks these guys on TVG hand out? I never listen to any of them as far as my own picks. The only guy, I mean only one, I respect is Bob Bedaker (Mr. B). I'm usually agreeing with most of his picks. Who's the best and worst?

  2. #2
    imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-16-05
    Posts: 17,193
    Betpoints: 10

    I know on the guys personally and all of them are nice
    especially Ken Rudolph who unfortunately knows nothing
    about Horse Racing, but does try hard to act like he does.

    Gary Stevens is by far the best on there. BY FAR. He is
    a pretty damn good handicapper also. I smoked a cigarette
    with him the other day and he signed my friends program
    he is a solid guy...

    SBR Founder Join Date: 11/16/2005


  3. #3
    kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-11-05
    Posts: 1,743
    Betpoints: 30

    First of all I have to say that TVG puts out an excellent product with lots of information ... All the analysts have their good and bad days and you have to take their picks for exactly what they are ... Bottom line is they are all knowledgeable and provide enough info to help making your own choice.

    A horse racing channel could be pretty boring if you are just sitting watching odds with and a few off the wall comments but those guys make for an interesting watch.

    And Christina is hot!

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/11/2005


  4. #4
    Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 3,712
    Betpoints: 1922

    I think TVG does a good job as well. My one complaint is whenever there is a photo finish other than the win, they never show the replay and sometimes you have to wait several minutes to find out who won the photo. I found a solution on the TVG web site. They post the payouts super quick, seems like just seconds after the race is official.

    Christina is cute, and so is Priscilla. My favorite female horse racing announcer is still Caton Breder, although I haven't seen her lately on ESPN or the networks. Jeannine Edwards on ESPN is an underrated cutie.

  5. #5
    kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-11-05
    Posts: 1,743
    Betpoints: 30

    Jeannine sure is a cutie ... You'd flip if I told you how old she is.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/11/2005


  6. #6
    Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 3,712
    Betpoints: 1922

    I'd guess 38 to 40 for Jeannine Edwards.

    Christina Oliveres was wearing a very nice outfit Saturday at DelMar. Some type of flowered dress with shoulders exposed and showing some cleavage. Wow. That sqeaky voice is very sexy.

    Quote Originally Posted by kdmfox
    Jeannine sure is a cutie ... You'd flip if I told you how old she is.

  7. #7
    Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-22-05
    Posts: 5,632

    Matt Carruthers is the only one worth a damn. Iggy and Mr. B are penetrating pathetic. I don't play horses without a program, but I will watch sometimes, and ** is the only one that takes shots, and he is relatively successful, from what I've seen.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/22/2005


  8. #8
    Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 3,712
    Betpoints: 1922

    Wow, couldn't disagree more here. Matt Caruthers is just plain awful. He overhandicaps every frecking race, and his win percentage is awful. His pick 4 tickets crash and burn every day. Maybe I just catch him on bad days, but I think he's the worst of the lot. Someone else jump in and give an opinion on this guy.

    Caruthers can't just look at a race and pick a winner, he's got to try and impress everyone with "lone speed, back class, bad trip, wide trip, closing kick, turf bias, track bias, trainer change., jockey change, layoff angle...and on and on." Just pick the winner for pete's sake.

    Mr. B did hit 5 of 6 on his Del Mar Pick 6 ticket on Friday. I agree on Iggy, but he's a jockey just filling in.

  9. #9
    imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-16-05
    Posts: 17,193
    Betpoints: 10

    I would say Matt Caruthers is probably the most successful
    guy on there. He is a pretty good handicapper, I have seen
    him pick alot of winners and one time he hit a huge Pick 4.

    I have seen and talked to all of them in person and
    they were all really nice guys.Todd Schrup talked to
    me for 40 mins in the clubhouse at Hollywood Park one
    time and Ken Rudolph and I got along very well spoke
    for about 30 mins a couple of times. If you guys want
    to know who the worst handicapper is= Frank Lyons!!

    Guy is fade material..

    SBR Founder Join Date: 11/16/2005


  10. #10
    kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-11-05
    Posts: 1,743
    Betpoints: 30

    I watch TVG quite a bit and enjoy all the talk and take in all the information the analysts provide ... Bottom line is I end up with my own pick ... Sometimes I agree and often times I don't ... Horse racing is a game where a % in the 15-20 range is huge.

    I signed up for a TVG account but never funded it when I read they had a .25 charge for each bet and a charge per month for video ... Yes I know if you exceed a certain amount wagering per month that it's all "free" but I still opted out ... I have Youbet and see no reason to switch.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/11/2005


  11. #11
    kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-11-05
    Posts: 1,743
    Betpoints: 30

    I haven't seen Jessica or Nancy lately ... Both pleasant and hot.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/11/2005


  12. #12
    kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-11-05
    Posts: 1,743
    Betpoints: 30

    One thing I like about TVG is that it's 99% all about gambling ... Other horse shows (ESPN) are more into presenting story lines about horse racing.

    About 3 weeks ago Christina was talking to a trainer about his horse in a feature race and after she was finished one of the analysts asked him about another horse he had in the P6 that night and he said "definitely" to use his horse as she had lots of problems in her first start ... She was 12-1 ML and I put 150WP ... I forget who the trainer was but the horse was Stormello ... She went right to the top and won easily at 10-1 ... Most of the time the trainers will talk around in circles and say their horse has a good shot ... What stood out here was he said to use horse in their Pick 6s ... There was also a horse yesterday that the trainer touted and Christina told the boys to get on it and he won at 7-2.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/11/2005


  13. #13
    Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 3,712
    Betpoints: 1922

    I saw those charges as well and really was puzzled by it. Most states allow OTB accounts, which most racing systems offer completely free of charge via telephone.

    Another thing is TVG accounts are only available in about 13 states. I don't know how they make enough money off that.

    The only time I paid a fee was years ago when my OTB phone account had a dispute with NYRA (who didn't) and I couldn't bet NY racing, so I opened a basic NY OTB account just for NY racing but had the 5 percent OTB surcharge on all winning tickets. Fortunately, I didn't need it for long.

    Quote Originally Posted by kdmfox
    I signed up for a TVG account but never funded it when I read they had a .25 charge for each bet and a charge per month for video ... Yes I know if you exceed a certain amount wagering per month that it's all "free" but I still opted out ... I have Youbet and see no reason to switch.

  14. #14
    cadillacb
    cadillacb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-01-06
    Posts: 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew
    Wow, couldn't disagree more here. Matt Caruthers is just plain awful. He overhandicaps every frecking race, and his win percentage is awful. His pick 4 tickets crash and burn every day. Maybe I just catch him on bad days, but I think he's the worst of the lot. Someone else jump in and give an opinion on this guy.

    Caruthers can't just look at a race and pick a winner, he's got to try and impress everyone with "lone speed, back class, bad trip, wide trip, closing kick, turf bias, track bias, trainer change., jockey change, layoff angle...and on and on." Just pick the winner for pete's sake.

    Mr. B did hit 5 of 6 on his Del Mar Pick 6 ticket on Friday. I agree on Iggy, but he's a jockey just filling in.
    excuse me, have you ever heard of iggy? ** is by far the best handicapper on TVG Mr. B is terrible and Iggy hits around 1.7% of his even money shots

  15. #15
    kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-11-05
    Posts: 1,743
    Betpoints: 30

    A lot of this is just perception ... As far as I know there aren't any stats of how the analysts do .. If you like a guy and his presentation, then there is a perception he's good or the best and it's a personal thing ... Once again, I take in the information the analysts provide and make my own picks ... Sometimes I agree, and sometimes I don't.

    Iggy hits 1.7% of his chalk?

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/11/2005


  16. #16
    Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-22-05
    Posts: 5,632

    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew
    Matt Caruthers is just plain awful ... his win percentage is awful.
    Because he doesn't take the chalk in every race. When he hits 20% and Mr. B hits 35%, Carruthers has more of a profit.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/22/2005


  17. #17
    Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-22-05
    Posts: 5,632

    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew
    Mr. B did hit 5 of 6 on his Del Mar Pick 6 ticket on Friday.
    How much did that pay?

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/22/2005


  18. #18
    kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-11-05
    Posts: 1,743
    Betpoints: 30

    5 of 6 ... 1,107.40
    6 of 6 ... 57,719.40

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/11/2005


  19. #19
    cadillacb
    cadillacb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-01-06
    Posts: 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    Because he doesn't take the chalk in every race. When he hits 20% and Mr. B hits 35%, Carruthers has more of a profit.
    i couldnt agree more. caruthers went 1 for 6 in the little while i watched tvg the other day... and i profited around 13$ and i assure you for every pick 4 mr b. hits he misses 15 and by the way i saw he hit a pick 4 the other day on a 48$ ticket it returned 21$ ... bottom line MR B sucks

  20. #20
    kingleroy
    kingleroy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-17-07
    Posts: 1

    Tvg

    The only handicapper who is worth a dime is Mr. B. Most of the TVG has nothing but, buffoons especially Todd Terrible Schrup, Matt no nothing Carothers , and last but not least Mike the moron Joyce. Most of these clowns talk about everything except horseracing. There needs to be unity in horseracing. That way we can see what we want. I know that TVG has lost alot of viewers cause the lace of racing they now. The garbage is where Todd Terrible Schrup, Matt no-nothing Carothers , and Mike the moron Joyce belong!!!

  21. #21
    Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 3,712
    Betpoints: 1922

    Schrup is awful, I agree. Carothers I've ripped before because he overhandicaps every race. His win percentage is awful.

    Occassionaly, he gets hot and scores a couple longshots, but in the long run, most of his price plays crash and burn. They are usually no factor.

    Overall, I like the guy's presentation. Very witty and funny.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingleroy View Post
    The only handicapper who is worth a dime is Mr. B. Most of the TVG has nothing but, buffoons especially Todd Terrible Schrup, Matt no nothing Carothers , and last but not least Mike the moron Joyce. Most of these clowns talk about everything except horseracing. There needs to be unity in horseracing. That way we can see what we want. I know that TVG has lost alot of viewers cause the lace of racing they now. The garbage is where Todd Terrible Schrup, Matt no-nothing Carothers , and Mike the moron Joyce belong!!!

  22. #22
    trifectabx
    trifectabx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-06-07
    Posts: 873

    Todd has put a pk4 ticket 2 years ago that hit $20K. Ken is just funny. He can't handicap crap. I like the sarge ( Nick ) specially in graded stakes.. Mostly I like looking at their picks to compare it to mine.

  23. #23
    tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-30-06
    Posts: 8,923
    Betpoints: 1755

    Matt is pretty smart, I think Frank Lyons is not bad either, he hit a big pick 4 last year in Hollywood Park. Matt used to have what he would say a Matt lock and he would win quite a few on those.

    BTP
    Week 4
    3-2-0 168 pts


  24. #24
    Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 3,712
    Betpoints: 1922

    The problem is these guys are not playing their own picks. It's like playing with monopoly money. Anybody can throw a $100 ticket out twice a day, 5 days a week when you don't have to cover the losses.

    I know Matt often plays individual races, but I doubt even he plays his Pick 6 and Pick 4 tickets that often.

    Quote Originally Posted by trifectabx View Post
    Todd has put a pk4 ticket 2 years ago that hit $20K. Ken is just funny. He can't handicap crap. I like the sarge ( Nick ) specially in graded stakes.. Mostly I like looking at their picks to compare it to mine.

  25. #25
    trifectabx
    trifectabx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-06-07
    Posts: 873

    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    The problem is these guys are not playing their own picks. It's like playing with monopoly money. Anybody can throw a $100 ticket out twice a day, 5 days a week when you don't have to cover the losses.

    I know Matt often plays individual races, but I doubt even he plays his Pick 6 and Pick 4 tickets that often.
    I agree w/ you.. Simon put out a pk3 ticket last week that hit a 18-1 long shot on the 1st leg and he singled it w/ 4 by 4. He didn't get the next leg but I would like for them to show the actual ticket. I think you are right they are just giving out pick w/ out actually betting them.

  26. #26
    imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-16-05
    Posts: 17,193
    Betpoints: 10

    I think you guys are right...

    SBR Founder Join Date: 11/16/2005


  27. #27
    The Nit
    The Nit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-17-07
    Posts: 23

    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Schrup is awful, I agree. Carothers I've ripped before because he overhandicaps every race. His win percentage is awful.

    Occassionaly, he gets hot and scores a couple longshots, but in the long run, most of his price plays crash and burn. They are usually no factor.

    Overall, I like the guy's presentation. Very witty and funny.
    I like Matty Carothers - he takes the right approach to handicapping, trying to go for a price and looking for value. It's rarely you'll see him give out the even money favorite. So of course, he won't hit often - but he'll catch some nice prices here and there. He does have a positive roi on Blinkers Off and that is fairly hard to do being forced to pick every stakes race they look at. Also, you can tell he really studies the races he is the analyst for. And I love his personality.

    Mr. B does well at the smaller tracks. He also plays a lot of favorites so his win % will be better. But he takes a bad approach to the multirace exotics. I've seen him hit a number of tickets and lose money on them. But he is a solid capper.

    I've always thought that part of the analysts salary package should be a ticket on every race they handicap (including the pick4's and pick 6's).

    Simon is amazing in California races and is not afraid to pick big numbers.

    I think the most underrated is Jill Byrne (in the rare instances she is working)- she has a knack for picking out the horses that "look good" on the track - something which I wish I could learn to do.

    Ken and Schrup are for entertainment only.

  28. #28
    Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 3,712
    Betpoints: 1922

    Good analysis. I like Matt's style, if not his handicapping methods. Seems like a good guy to go to the track with and he's probably not a phony. Likely just a nice off the air as he seems on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Nit View Post
    I like Matty Carothers - he takes the right approach to handicapping, trying to go for a price and looking for value. It's rarely you'll see him give out the even money favorite. So of course, he won't hit often - but he'll catch some nice prices here and there. He does have a positive roi on Blinkers Off and that is fairly hard to do being forced to pick every stakes race they look at. Also, you can tell he really studies the races he is the analyst for. And I love his personality.

    Mr. B does well at the smaller tracks. He also plays a lot of favorites so his win % will be better. But he takes a bad approach to the multirace exotics. I've seen him hit a number of tickets and lose money on them. But he is a solid capper.

    I've always thought that part of the analysts salary package should be a ticket on every race they handicap (including the pick4's and pick 6's).

    Simon is amazing in California races and is not afraid to pick big numbers.

    I think the most underrated is Jill Byrne (in the rare instances she is working)- she has a knack for picking out the horses that "look good" on the track - something which I wish I could learn to do.

    Ken and Schrup are for entertainment only.

  29. #29
    BrentCrude
    BrentCrude's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-16-05
    Posts: 4,665
    Betpoints: 12

    No HRTV for you TVG people?Dish gives you both on the lower end packages.

    When I had Directv You would have to buy the sports package to get the two racing channels.With Dish you get both racing channels on the 2nd lowest priced package.

    So on to racing personalities on the 2 networks.I like John White because of the fact that the guy got into racing all on his own without coming from a racing background.With most of the other people,they either grew up in racing families giving them a leg up or from well off families that gave the kid a check book to buy a horsie for their birthday.

    White is sort of a vulnerable milk toast Mr.Rogers wimp type that seems so out of place with being around hardened racing fance using bad language and smoking stogies.hehe!

    SBR Founder Join Date: 11/16/2005


  30. #30
    trifectabx
    trifectabx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-06-07
    Posts: 873

    Quote Originally Posted by BrentCrude View Post
    When I had Directv You would have to buy the sports package to get the two racing channels.With Dish you get both racing channels on the 2nd lowest priced package.

    So on to racing personalities on the 2 networks.I like John White because of the fact that the guy got into racing all on his own without coming from a racing background.With most of the other people,they either grew up in racing families giving them a leg up or from well off families that gave the kid a check book to buy a horsie for their birthday.

    White is sort of a vulnerable milk toast Mr.Rogers wimp type that seems so out of place with being around hardened racing fance using bad language and smoking stogies.hehe!
    Since you brought up HRTV.. I like Jeff Siegel. Pincay Jr can't handicap crap. Jon White picks good horses but puts everyone to sleep when he speaks. Aaron is another Ken. Camilla Ball picks them at the track they way they look and such. I just can't stand her gums when she smiles.. hehe. Although I've noticed that she is smiling more w/ her mouth close. Peter has the biggest head in the planet.. I mean literally. He really does have a big head. He tried putting one of those Santa Anita hats giveaways and it could hardly fit him.

  31. #31
    pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-25-07
    Posts: 12,730
    Betpoints: 150

    Quote Originally Posted by trifectabx View Post
    Since you brought up HRTV.. I like Jeff Siegel. Pincay Jr can't handicap crap. Jon White picks good horses but puts everyone to sleep when he speaks. Aaron is another Ken. Camilla Ball picks them at the track they way they look and such. I just can't stand her gums when she smiles.. hehe. Although I've noticed that she is smiling more w/ her mouth close. Peter has the biggest head in the planet.. I mean literally. He really does have a big head. He tried putting one of those Santa Anita hats giveaways and it could hardly fit him.
    Hey there is nothing wrong with a big head !!!!

    I have a size 8 and have to wear custom fit caps.

    Les Onaka on the quarters is sharp as they get.

  32. #32
    trifectabx
    trifectabx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-06-07
    Posts: 873

    Quote Originally Posted by pokernut9999 View Post
    Hey there is nothing wrong with a big head !!!!

    I have a size 8 and have to wear custom fit caps.

    Les Onaka on the quarters is sharp as they get.
    Nothing wrong w/ it my man.. I just thought it was funny when he was trying to put that hat on. Just make sure you don't go down the chimney cause you may get stuck. Happy holiday to you and your love ones buddy.

  33. #33
    pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-25-07
    Posts: 12,730
    Betpoints: 150

    It will be a good one if I can pull off this BTP contest.


    Have a good holiday too.

  34. #34
    sharktank1
    sharktank1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-17-07
    Posts: 970

    Les Onaka @ the quarters!
    Doesn't always play chalk, like some of his cohorts do.

    Hey p.n.,
    G.L. this week!
    I'm a furlong behind ya.
    Even though I did go 4-0 once this season, as an apprentice.

  35. #35
    pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-25-07
    Posts: 12,730
    Betpoints: 150

    Quote Originally Posted by sharktank1 View Post
    Les Onaka @ the quarters!
    Doesn't always play chalk, like some of his cohorts do.

    Hey p.n.,
    G.L. this week!
    I'm a furlong behind ya.
    Even though I did go 4-0 once this season, as an apprentice.
    Thanks man, I would love to win some big money !!!

    GL to to you also

12 Last
Top