str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68533

Quote Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
    Thanks for that answer, very interesting to read.

When you were still training horses, were starter and optional claiming allowances really prevalent? I'm still a year into the horses and some posters on other forms make it sound like these were not relevant years ago. While I understand the purposes of OC/n1xs/etc, what are the reasons starter allowances are carded? Couldnt the horses in those races simply be put into allowances or the claiming side of optional claimers?
    Optional claimers were not around much going back 25 or more years ago. They did start to become more popular into the mid to late 80's when the downturn in breeding and the horse shortage brought on by that as well as too much racing in to many states at the same time came to be. It took about 7-10 years of fighting to fill these races back in the late 70's before they started to grow in popularity. The reason they are popular is because filling a 40k or 30k claiming race became very tough to do. Filling a two other than ,three other than or non winners in a year allowance also became tougher. When the above horse shortage began, some tracks began to combine the two categories and were able to better fill the races . Eventually, everyone started doing it.

As for the starters, they were very prevalent. Especially the 5k starters, going long. These were a big draw and used to be run in a series of four, every Saturday for 4 weeks. Once that series was done, it would start again about 2-3 months later. Most would run starting at 1 1/16th miles and go to 1 1/8th, 1 3/16thand conclude at 1 1/4 miles. They ran for four Saturdays in a row. It was not uncommon to run in all four of them but as a trainer, I always tried to run in just three of them. Depending on the horse, I would try and skip #2 or #3 in the series. #2 was the best to skip because everyone tried to run in the 1st two. So because of that, most trainers tried to skip #3 . Skipping #2 allowed my horse a breather and to duck a fuller field. It was also easier because the racing secretary was not putting heavy (subtle but threatening) pressure on the trainer to enter to beef up the Saturday card to help improve the handle. It also allowed my horse to run in a much smaller field in starters 3 and 4. Unless distance was a big issue, I always opted to do this if for no other reason than it was thinking differently than all the other older trainers. Remember, back then, I was in my 20's and most trainers back then were in at least their late 40's or older. Young trainers were really rare back in the 70's.And thinking outside the box was damn near unacceptable. It was a much different world back then.
    Again, it was the horse shortage from breeding and the over saturation of racing that made the starter hard to fill over time and forced it out of the condition book in plenty of places.

Charles Town used to run a starter series that started at 1 mile and went a 1/16th longer each week until it concluded on the last day of racing around the 2nd week of December at 2 miles, each year. That was when they closed down from early Dec. until early February each year. It was a huge fan favorite. I loved it when I was going there during high school and was a gambler. I will never forget seeing this girl in the infield at C.T. near the finish line holding up cards for the jockeys with how many laps were left on those 2 mile races. Lol.

What other racing forums do you visit ?

cutchemist42
    cutchemist42's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5801

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Optional claimers were not around much going back 25 or more years ago. They did start to become more popular into the mid to late 80's when the downturn in breeding and the horse shortage brought on by that as well as too much racing in to many states at the same time came to be. It took about 7-10 years of fighting to fill these races back in the late 70's before they started to grow in popularity. The reason they are popular is because filling a 40k or 30k claiming race became very tough to do. Filling a two other than ,three other than or non winners in a year allowance also became tougher. When the above horse shortage began, some tracks began to combine the two categories and were able to better fill the races . Eventually, everyone started doing it.

As for the starters, they were very prevalent. Especially the 5k starters, going long. These were a big draw and used to be run in a series of four, every Saturday for 4 weeks. Once that series was done, it would start again about 2-3 months later. Most would run starting at 1 1/16th miles and go to 1 1/8th, 1 3/16thand conclude at 1 1/4 miles. They ran for four Saturdays in a row. It was not uncommon to run in all four of them but as a trainer, I always tried to run in just three of them. Depending on the horse, I would try and skip #2 or #3 in the series. #2 was the best to skip because everyone tried to run in the 1st two. So because of that, most trainers tried to skip #3 . Skipping #2 allowed my horse a breather and to duck a fuller field. It was also easier because the racing secretary was not putting heavy (subtle but threatening) pressure on the trainer to enter to beef up the Saturday card to help improve the handle. It also allowed my horse to run in a much smaller field in starters 3 and 4. Unless distance was a big issue, I always opted to do this if for no other reason than it was thinking differently than all the other older trainers. Remember, back then, I was in my 20's and most trainers back then were in at least their late 40's or older. Young trainers were really rare back in the 70's.And thinking outside the box was damn near unacceptable. It was a much different world back then.
    Again, it was the horse shortage from breeding and the over saturation of racing that made the starter hard to fill over time and forced it out of the condition book in plenty of places.

Charles Town used to run a starter series that started at 1 mile and went a 1/16th longer each week until it concluded on the last day of racing around the 2nd week of December at 2 miles, each year. That was when they closed down from early Dec. until early February each year. It was a huge fan favorite. I loved it when I was going there during high school and was a gambler. I will never forget seeing this girl in the infield at C.T. near the finish line holding up cards for the jockeys with how many laps were left on those 2 mile races. Lol.

What other racing forums do you visit ?
    http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/?

Its the only other horse message board I will check in on daily. I think its a good community, have learned alot from both yourself and other posters on that board. We also run a few fun contests throughout the year.

Great response too, I could imagine a lap counter at CT actually being useful. I mean, I just saw this year a longer turf race at Penn get screwed up when the jockey thought the race was done and eased his horse after the finish line; there was still another lap haha!

cutchemist42

As someone who has mentioned to watch the races a lot, in your opinion, what are the main trouble spots/elements to watch for in a race?

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

As someone who has mentioned to watch the races a lot, in your opinion, what are the main trouble spots/elements to watch for in a race?
    Well, the obvious ones are the gate and the turn or turns. But once you have gotten comfortable with that, you need to see more than your competition. Everyone sees those things.

Look for trips.

Who has the box going one turn and especially out of a chute?

Who is pinned and wishes they weren't?

Who is in between and wishes they weren't?

Who is just off the lead and outside and therefore controlling the actions of the inside horses?

Who has the garden spot of laying 4th by themselves with a 3 way duel in front of them and another duel behind them a few lengths?

Finding perfect trips to help explain top efforts is almost better than finding bad trips IMO.

If you can play against these types who are usually bet down after a big race, it can lead you to some nice prices. And the best part of it is after the race, when you watch the replays, you will inevitably hear someone say that the horse that came off that perfect trip last time, bounced! Yeah, sure, the horse bounced. The code word for WTF happened? I don't know so I will call it a bounce. The only thing bouncing is you on the way to cashing your ticket at a nice price.

Try that and see if it helps.

cutchemist42

Well, the obvious ones are the gate and the turn or turns. But once you have gotten comfortable with that, you need to see more than your competition. Everyone sees those things.

Look for trips.

Who has the box going one turn and especially out of a chute?

Who is pinned and wishes they weren't?

Who is in between and wishes they weren't?

Who is just off the lead and outside and therefore controlling the actions of the inside horses?

Who has the garden spot of laying 4th by themselves with a 3 way duel in front of them and another duel behind them a few lengths?

Finding perfect trips to help explain top efforts is almost better than finding bad trips IMO.

If you can play against these types who are usually bet down after a big race, it can lead you to some nice prices. And the best part of it is after the race, when you watch the replays, you will inevitably hear someone say that the horse that came off that perfect trip last time, bounced! Yeah, sure, the horse bounced. The code word for WTF happened? I don't know so I will call it a bounce. The only thing bouncing is you on the way to cashing your ticket at a nice price.

Try that and see if it helps.
    The box? Beyond my misunderstanding, great post!

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

The box? Beyond my misunderstanding, great post!
    Post 1467.

Also a full explanation somewhere way back.

Man, do I need a table of contents or what! Lol.

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9724

hey uncle str, i always like you to be my ..advisor on my jobs..got bored the other day built some shelfsIMAG8075.jpg

IMAG8078.jpgIMAG8100.jpg

hope you had a great thanks giving take care

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
    hey uncle str, i always like you to be my ..advisor on my jobs..got bored the other day built some shelfsIMAG8075.jpg

IMAG8078.jpgIMAG8100.jpg

hope you had a great thanks giving take care
    Thanks Har. I did . And I hope you did as well.

Keep it light weight on those shelves and you will be fine.

Thanks for checking in !
    Last edited by str; 12-04-14 at 06:32 AM.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9464

Hey str.. wanted your opinion on a horse running at GP tomorrow. 2yo filly first time starter trained by Larry Rivelli who is one of the best trainers at AP and excellent with debuters and 2yo's.. She cost 100k and is by elite sire Tiznow. The work pattern I wanted your opinion on

7/20 AP 1:02b 10/26
    8/13 AP 49.3b 13/34
    8/20 AP 49.2b 11/23
    8/27 AP 1:16b 4/5
    9/12 AP 51b 36/41
    10/6 kee 49b 14/24
    10/15 kee 58.2h 1/10
    10/22 kee 1:40. 2b 1/1
    12/2 GP 1:17.2b 2/2
    12/7 GP 36b 1/16

going a mile today. Is it possible he had GP in mind from the beginning and wanted to have her legged up for her debut? The fact he didn't start her at Keeneland bother you? My guess would be this is not a bad sign and he's just being patient with a young 2yo

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
    Hey str.. wanted your opinion on a horse running at GP tomorrow. 2yo filly first time starter trained by Larry Rivelli who is one of the best trainers at AP and excellent with debuters and 2yo's.. She cost 100k and is by elite sire Tiznow. The work pattern I wanted your opinion on

8/13 AP 49.3b 13/34
    8/20 AP 49.2b 11/23
    9/12 AP 51b 36/41
    10/6 kee 49b 14/24
    10/15 kee 58.2h 1/10
    12/7 GP 36b 1/16

going a mile today. Is it possible he had GP in mind from the beginning and wanted to have her legged up for her debut? The fact he didn't start her at Keeneland bother you? My guess would be this is not a bad sign and he's just being patient with a young 2yo
    So does he always run at AP, then Kee , then Gulf. every year?

And does he shine at Gulf?

Does he have a meet he always seems loaded for?

Need that first.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

8/13 AP 49.3b 13/34
    8/20 AP 49.2b 11/23
    9/12 AP 51b 36/41
    10/6 kee 49b 14/24
    10/15 kee 58.2h 1/10
    12/7 GP 36b 1/16

Also, Gulf. in December?

That used to be like the preseason. Still the case?

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

So does he always run at AP, then Kee , then Gulf. every year?

And does he shine at Gulf?

Does he have a meet he always seems loaded for?

Need that first.
    I admittedly don't know specific information like that. Was looking at it more as a does the workout pattern reveal anything negative about the horse. I would guess it's not necessarily negative that he didn't run her at kee if that's his normal modus operandi. Also curious if the inactivity between 10/22-12/2 would be a negative to you. I'm looking at it as can you draw any general conclusions just by viewing the spacing, distances and big gap between last kee move and first GP work?

GP has been starting a month early for a few years now.. guessing 3-5

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

I admittedly don't know specific information like that. Was looking at it more as a does the workout pattern reveal anything negative about the horse. I would guess it's not necessarily negative that he didn't run her at kee if that's his normal modus operandi. Also curious if the inactivity between 10/22-12/2 would be a negative to you. I'm looking at it as can you draw any general conclusions just by viewing the spacing, distances and big gap between last kee move and first GP work?

GP has been starting a month early for a few years now.. guessing 3-5
    I know that GP has started earlier . guess the question is, do the top trainers start firing live horses in the beginning or do they stay with there same plan.

As for the workouts, she was working once a week after taking 23 days off from late July. Something very minor probably caused that break so no big deal at all. Very typical of a barns pattern of getting young horses prepared to go once a week. Once a week suggests that all is very well in the horses progress. Also fine with extra time after her 3/4 mile work. That distance is more than just a typoical work for a baby. Extra time is almost always necessary. 24 days between AP and KEE suggests that she worked in between and the clocker missed identifying her. Makes no sense off a 1/2 in 51. Something is up there. Back in 9 days is fine, back in a week off a 58 and change is awesome. The mile work is the key. At this point he is focused on Gulf IMO.41 days between is again weird, could have been 20+ and again, maybe a missed 1/2 or 5/8ths easy, after that mile work? Probably. Certainly she did more than just gallop. 12/2 is final workout and 12/7 is the blow out that puts any speed or bounce in her step that the distance works might have dulled. Too me, she is pointed for this, sound and fit, and sitting on ready. I would be surprised if she does not represent herself well as long as she maintains her poise in the paddock and warming up.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

I know that GP has started earlier . guess the question is, do the top trainers start firing live horses in the beginning or do they stay with there same plan.

As for the workouts, she was working once a week after taking 23 days off from late July. Something very minor probably caused that break so no big deal at all. Very typical of a barns pattern of getting young horses prepared to go once a week. Once a week suggests that all is very well in the horses progress. Also fine with extra time after her 3/4 mile work. That distance is more than just a typoical work for a baby. Extra time is almost always necessary. 24 days between AP and KEE suggests that she worked in between and the clocker missed identifying her. Makes no sense off a 1/2 in 51. Something is up there. Back in 9 days is fine, back in a week off a 58 and change is awesome. The mile work is the key. At this point he is focused on Gulf IMO.41 days between is again weird, could have been 20+ and again, maybe a missed 1/2 or 5/8ths easy, after that mile work? Probably. Certainly she did more than just gallop. 12/2 is final workout and 12/7 is the blow out that puts any speed or bounce in her step that the distance works might have dulled. Too me, she is pointed for this, sound and fit, and sitting on ready. I would be surprised if she does not represent herself well as long as she maintains her poise in the paddock and warming up.
    OK str appreciate your insight as I always do. Wanted to point out in addition that Tiznow is a below average first out sire but the dam sire is a way above average first out sire and 2yo sire. Says the dam won 1 of 5 for 79k which to me suggests one of the other races besides her maiden breaker may have been a placing in a stakes race.
    It is the 3rd race #4 puffle feathers (3-1)..Favorite will be #3 eskenformoney (1-1) who lost by a nose in her last race at kee
    going 8.5f.. Also should mention this is the dams first foal to race
    Last edited by JBEX; 12-10-14 at 10:38 AM.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

OK str appreciate your insight as I always do. Wanted to point out in addition that Tiznow is a below average first out sire but the dam sire is a way above average first out sire and 2yo sire. Says the dam won 1 of 5 for 79k which to me suggests one of the other races besides her maiden breaker may have been a placing in a stakes race.
    It is the 3rd race #4 puffle feathers (3-1)..Favorite will be #3 eskenformoney (1-1) who lost by a nose in her last race at kee
    going 8.5f.. Also should mention this is the dams first foal to race

It should say stakes placed if you can see her page.

The below average 1st timer sire is big IMO. I try not to buck that or even poke holes in it unless the price is very solid on the FTS. Low odds and low% of 1st out winners from the sire is not good at all.
    Looks like the race ran pretty much as it shaped up on paper. The firster ran ok. Others just better yesterday. She should improve off that effort. Probably no value though.

Good luck JBEX.

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9724

str have a question building question.........i have a car port bricks on the right and left side open fron and back on top there is a deck about 8 feet high made of deck board ..water can go through like a boardwalk....i wanted to in close it...make lets say a gym i have no problem building the walls.....but how can i make a roof without pulling up the deck...maybe i should send a picture there are boards holding the deck....i need the framing to nail sheet rock under the deck any idea at all im basically want to build a roof under the car port for storage and a gym

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

[QUOTE=str;23171013]It should say stakes placed if you can see her page.

The below average 1st timer sire is big IMO. I try not to buck that or even poke holes in it unless the price is very solid on the FTS. Low odds and low% of 1st out winners from the sire is not good at all.
    Looks like the race ran pretty much as it shaped up on paper. The firster ran ok. Others just better yesterday. She should improve off that effort. Probably no value though.

Good luck JBEX.[/QUOTE)
    https://twitter.com/racingwithbruno

found these tweets on bruno de julio's page on puffle feathers. I believe he's one of the best known clockers in the business (towards the bottom of page)
    Last edited by JBEX; 12-12-14 at 06:04 AM.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
    str have a question building question.........i have a car port bricks on the right and left side open fron and back on top there is a deck about 8 feet high made of deck board ..water can go through like a boardwalk....i wanted to in close it...make lets say a gym i have no problem building the walls.....but how can i make a roof without pulling up the deck...maybe i should send a picture there are boards holding the deck....i need the framing to nail sheet rock under the deck any idea at all im basically want to build a roof under the car port for storage and a gym
    From what little I see, it will need a full roof. Problem with that is tying it in to whatever exists next to it, making it look like it was meant too be, and future resale if you own it. Without permits, if brought into question, it could be a deal killer. So you would need a permit, which means you need a stamped, engineered set of blueprints and that costs money. It seems rather simple but the load calculation and wind sheer are the liabilities that would fall on you if something ever went wrong. That is nothing to play with.Simple stick framing and a shingled roof will get it but again, the liability is not anything to play with.
    I would be very careful about moving forward without something certified by a structural engineer.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

[QUOTE=JBEX;23177159]
    It should say stakes placed if you can see her page.

Good luck JBEX.[/QUOTE)
    https://twitter.com/racingwithbruno

found these tweets on bruno de julio's page on puffle feathers. I believe he's one of the best known clockers in the business (towards the bottom of page)
    So is this guy a clocker employed by DRF and he tweets picks for money?? I do not know this guy but I do know a DRF Saratoga clocker that I am pretty sure works Gulfstream in the winter. Saw him in the mornings when I was there a couple of years ago.

But back to my question, clockers can sell picks??

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

I believe he's a handicapper/workout analyst amongst other things and not really a clocker.. But guess if you analyze workouts clocking is obviously part of it. If I misused the terminology I apologize but this is not my area of expertise. I'll post a link to his site rather than his Twitter. All I know is he's someone who is very respected in the industry for his workout observations and he does sell picks as part of the package with his workout commentary. I've never bought but think what I said is fairly accurate

http://www.racingwithbruno.com/info.html

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

I believe he's a handicapper/workout analyst amongst other things and not really a clocker.. But guess if you analyze workouts clocking is obviously part of it. If I misused the terminology I apologize but this is not my area of expertise. I'll post a link to his site rather than his Twitter. All I know is he's someone who is very respected in the industry for his workout observations and he does sell picks as part of the package with his workout commentary. I've never bought but think what I said is fairly accurate

http://www.racingwithbruno.com/info.html
    I don't think you did misuse the terminology. He seems to be just that . He probably no longer works for the DRF or whatever from the clocker angle, maybe more of a correspondent or contributor. Either way, I think it's great.

He is a bloodstock agent , so he has a hand in buying and selling yearlings, etc. , thus he is at a lot of sales. Knows tons of people, is an owner, etc. He is very involved and comes up with an idea to do what he does. I like it! And I give him a ton of credit. I don't know him, but if I was to recommend a service for someone to try if that was what they felt they needed, it would be something like this. Certainly not the garbage like Stable Boy, New Yorker, etc. that are tip sheets and worthless.

For free info, I would listen to Richard Migliore and Maggie Wolfendale. I am sure there are others but I know those two are aces.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I had no idea that guys like him existed. Shows how long I have been gone I guess. You have to admire a guy that walks hots to learn what the game is all about instead of bypassing that and pretending to understand how it works. He did it the right way and I would guess that it shows in his work.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

I don't think you did misuse the terminology. He seems to be just that . He probably no longer works for the DRF or whatever from the clocker angle, maybe more of a correspondent or contributor. Either way, I think it's great.

He is a bloodstock agent , so he has a hand in buying and selling yearlings, etc. , thus he is at a lot of sales. Knows tons of people, is an owner, etc. He is very involved and comes up with an idea to do what he does. I like it! And I give him a ton of credit. I don't know him, but if I was to recommend a service for someone to try if that was what they felt they needed, it would be something like this. Certainly not the garbage like Stable Boy, New Yorker, etc. that are tip sheets and worthless.

For free info, I would listen to Richard Migliore and Maggie Wolfendale. I am sure there are others but I know those two are aces.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I had no idea that guys like him existed. Shows how long I have been gone I guess. You have to admire a guy that walks hots to learn what the game is all about instead of bypassing that and pretending to understand how it works. He did it the right way and I would guess that it shows in his work.
    No problem and glad you find him interesting. Seems like a genuine hard working guy who knows his stuff related to this game we play. This is beyond what I'd want to add to my handicapping because of cost obviously but have a hunch someone putting serious money through the window would benefit from his insights. And this is only a small part of what he does overall in the game. Think I'll get his book when it's out as I'm sure it's a good read. Have seen Richard and Maggie
    before and I'll definitely give them a better listen when I can from now on

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

R1 fired up! Just read it.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    R1 fired up! Just read it.
    As you know Rob, I will put up with a lot of nonsense. But I have just had it with arrogant, ignorant, condescending pricks .

Disagree with me? No problem. I am not always right. I am probably wrong more often than right. But don't talk down to me, especially with a condescending tone and don't put words in my mouth. And whatever you do, if you are going to slam my deceased friends you better make sure your facts are straight.

Grr.

On a lighter note, great to hear from you. You remain one of my favorite posters here. Your humor is over the top.

Thanks for checking in !

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

As you know Rob, I will put up with a lot of nonsense. But I have just had it with arrogant, ignorant, condescending pricks .

Disagree with me? No problem. I am not always right. I am probably wrong more often than right. But don't talk down to me, especially with a condescending tone and don't put words in my mouth. And whatever you do, if you are going to slam my deceased friends you better make sure your facts are straight.

Grr.

On a lighter note, great to hear from you. You remain one of my favorite posters here. Your humor is over the top.

Thanks for checking in !

Thanks bud! Enjoy the holidays!

cutchemist42

Just coming in to say I hope you have a good holidays STR, really love the chats you've been a part of in here. All the best man!

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Just coming in to say I hope you have a good holidays STR, really love the chats you've been a part of in here. All the best man!

Thank you very much !

All the best to you as well.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Wishing everyone that visits the horse forum a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Wishing everyone that visits the horse forum a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year.
    same to you str

cutchemist42

Quick question, but what is considered the rail? How big of a path is it before you consider a horse off the rail?

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quick question, but what is considered the rail? How big of a path is it before you consider a horse off the rail?
    About 8-10 feet.

The horse needs room to switch leads from right to left and back again and there are about two feet of track that cannot be reached because of the angle of the rail which is further in at the base than it is at the top. It kind of sits like this. /

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Hey Str.. perusing the drf prx and came across el oh el running an alw 5000s..When I asked you about him 10/13 he was 5-1-1-0 $31k and coming off a 2 month layoff running for 35k at belmont.. Jacobson the trainer and he was 3 at the time. They had started to drop him down to 10-15k conditional claiming races I believe and he won and run some competitive races at that level. He just won his fourth consecutive race at prx and is 27-7-6-3 with earnings of close to 150k
    including today's race. Claimed twice for 5k in his last 7 starts he has run for 3 of the better trainers at prx and mth and currently in the barn of edward autwater whose name I've seen for quite a while. Seems to have found a home running for less than 10k at these tracks and winning two starter allowance races in a row guessing they'll probably keep trying him at this level or maybe at a higher claiming tag.. Anyway I'll stop rambling on but we did follow him a bit back then and figured I'd give you an update being he's doing so well

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Hey Str.. perusing the drf prx and came across el oh el running an alw 5000s..When I asked you about him 10/13 he was 5-1-1-0 $31k and coming off a 2 month layoff running for 35k at belmont.. Jacobson the trainer and he was 3 at the time. They had started to drop him down to 10-15k conditional claiming races I believe and he won and run some competitive races at that level. He just won his fourth consecutive race at prx and is 27-7-6-3 with earnings of close to 150k
    including today's race. Claimed twice for 5k in his last 7 starts he has run for 3 of the better trainers at prx and mth and currently in the barn of edward autwater whose name I've seen for quite a while. Seems to have found a home running for less than 10k at these tracks and winning two starter allowance races in a row guessing they'll probably keep trying him at this level or maybe at a higher claiming tag.. Anyway I'll stop rambling on but we did follow him a bit back then and figured I'd give you an update being he's doing so well
    Thanks for the update JBEX.

Sounds like he ran for 5k and became eligible for those 5k starters. That eligibility usually lasts for one year so he could be up for a big year if he can stay sound. Running for that number, he has a decent chance too. Those horses are typically worth in true value up to 8k, maybe 10k every now and then, but many are 5-6 k types also. Let's hope he stays there. Also sounds like that low price tag allowed him to gain confidence, and a little swagger in his step.

Hope he just sits tight and has a nice run in those 5k starters. They are offered at about 4 tracks within about a 2 1/2 hour van ride from there so plenty of opportunities should exist all year long. Less pressure on those wheels if he stays running against lesser competition.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

No problem str.. at prx you are eligible for these starter allowance races
    going back all the way to 2013 so he could run in these potentially through 2016 if he's in good shape. Happened to have CT in the form today and there is a n3x alw which I'm sure he'd be eligible for and think he'd be competitive in. He'd probably do well at this level at Penn National also although I think advanced allowances at prx might be a little steep for him.. Not a bad claim for $5k 4 starts back that's for sure.. I'll give you another update spring/summer and let you know how he's doing

First ... 42434445464748 ... Last