Locke
    Locke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2444

Another Canadian's Picks

Been following this forum for a couple of weeks now and have thoroughly enjoyed reading a good number of posts. I am a fan of the no-nonsense discussion, rather than the "raiders are going to rape the colts" type comments that I see in a lot of other threads. Not only is it frustrating to read but does not hold up to my standard of a true "forum".

Anyways, lets get on with it. The reason I am posting my picks is that, while I do not pretend to be a professional handicapper, I have found seemingly more success on hockey picks than some of the others posting on the site. So I figure my two-cents are as good as anyones. Thought about posting my record so far this season but, with no one to verify, seemed pointless. So let's start at 0-0.

February 9th:

• SJS: -125
    • MIN: -118
    • BOS -1.5: +186
    • ANA: +174

Yes, the Canucks are hot right now, the top team in the NHL and fully capable of beating Anaheim. However, I have watched every one of the Canucks last 5 games and it has seemed that only Chicago has shown up to play. The season series is tied at one-a-piece. Both being decided by one goal. Anaheim is the "hungrier" team coming in and that will play a huge role in this game.

pinchylarue
    *** SBR'S WORST POKER PLAYER ***
    pinchylarue's Avatar Become A Pro!

min and ana are questionable picks...all others are golden

Locke

min and ana are questionable picks...all others are golden
    i know the ducks certainly are questionable. but minny beat the avs last week in denver and i felt they could repeat again tonight. colorado has not scored since that game. let's be honest, any team can win on any given night in the NHL

..bruins just scored, perhaps if they can pot another the habs will throw in the towel. i wonder what that prop might be

oklahoma
    oklahoma's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 883

4-0. great job. now prepare to get hounded for plays and leans.
    Last edited by oklahoma; 02-09-11 at 11:29 PM.

Locke

4-0. great job. now prepare to get hounded for plays and leans.
    well everyone has a good night some time, right?

Locke

Had a decent night yesterday. I lay one unit on every play (hockey) which equates to about 5% of my bankroll. Been told that it is risky to play such a high percentage of my bankroll in a single night, (20% on the line last night) but until it breaks me I do not have reason to play any differently. I have never quite understood playing more/less units on stronger/weaker plays. If you are a sportsbettor who does this, do you mind explaining? I am simply curious, not trying to convince you how to manage your money. My philosophy is; if you do your homework you should come to a conclusion whether there is value on each and every play. Only one star, why lay on it? Seems to me like you may just be throwing away your savings.

Record: 4-0, +5 Units

February 10:

• LAK: +106
    • BUF: -108
    • NJD: +109

Toronto has won their last two, both high scoring matches...good for them. A part of me believes that, while this could be a sign of good things to come, they got lucky (in the Isles game; rookie netminder who is not playing well in the AHL, got a last minute nod). The Devils seem much more motivated to make the playoffs, as unlikely as it is, than the Leafs who sit 7 points up on them. The difference between New Jersey then and now is enormous. I watched the Dec 26 game. The Devils were not in it. They had a coach who had not settled in yet and a captain who had issues with the new coach. I recall the announcers speaking of Brodeur as a "once upon a time..." type goalie and that he ought to retire. That is all well and fine, perhaps he should, but tonight Hedberg is in net and he has a defensive core that is starting to climb out of the minus. This is the game I look forward to watching..perhaps we will see another classic like bos/mtl last night.

JC2008
    JC2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2519

GL Locke! I will enjoy watching my team against the Leafs on TSN as well. Was thinking of the under 5.5 more than a side though.

Locke

Quote Originally Posted by JC2008 View Post
    GL Locke! I will enjoy watching my team against the Leafs on TSN as well. Was thinking of the under 5.5 more than a side though.
    Thanks JC! I rarely play O/U...find those much harder to predict. However, if I were to choose a total I would go with the under as well. A lot of people are laying their money on that side, line has moved to -130.

JC2008

I could see it being a 3-3 tie and going to OT, going over the total so I think I'll stay away.

ZZPop
    ZZPop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I also like the Kings and Devils tonight (aswell as Philly). BOL on your picks!

slapster33
    slapster33's Avatar Become A Pro!

parksy

what part of BC loche?

gohabsgo
    gohabsgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I like your hockey picks, LAK will lose IMO

Locke

BC, as in British Columbia? I don't reside there, but have family in west van, coquitlam, on the island and the okanagan valley areas

mrginandtonic
    mrginandtonic's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4536

Like ur picks, how u feel bout the Habs tonight?

Locke

Guarantee the Habs are not mentally prepared for this game after yesterday's emotionally draining contest. However, they are coming up against a very weak islanders squad, with a VERY inexperienced average goalie. If it were any other team I would bet against the habs again tonight. Auld will be in net which was definitely a good decision. If I had to choose Montreal would be my pick. Good luck if you decide to play on that game!

mrginandtonic

Tks for he inputs. GL tonight.

slapster33

parksy

Another good night loche, i heard you say you seen 5-6 vancouver games, was thinking you were in BC, LA was all over pitts, you should have be 3-0 last night, good job though....i won last night but with this------

6 team teaser
    [501] LA LAKERS +6½-110 (B+4)
    [505] DALLAS +7-110 (B+4)
    [516] BUTLER -4½-110 (B+4)
    [529] ARKANSAS STATE PK-110 (B+4)
    [531] ALABAMA +10½-110 (B+4)
    [561] SAINT MARYS CA -2-110 (B+4)

8.00 / 60.00
    02/10/2011 12:04 PM

Locke

Quote Originally Posted by slapster33 View Post
    Another good night loche, i heard you say you seen 5-6 vancouver games, was thinking you were in BC, LA was all over pitts, you should have be 3-0 last night, good job though....i won last night but with this------

6 team teaser
    [501] LA LAKERS +6½-110 (B+4)
    [505] DALLAS +7-110 (B+4)
    [516] BUTLER -4½-110 (B+4)
    [529] ARKANSAS STATE PK-110 (B+4)
    [531] ALABAMA +10½-110 (B+4)
    [561] SAINT MARYS CA -2-110 (B+4)

8.00 / 60.00
    02/10/2011 12:04 PM
    haha yes, watched them because im a capper, NOT because im a fan. BC is one of my favourite places to travel to both in the summer and winter. whenever i have friends visiting from the states i take them there. do you live in van city? yeah, again those overtimes are stressful. all it takes is one opportunity and GAME OVER. just glad that two of the three went in my favour, just as easily could've been 0-3. THANK YOU KOVALCHUK!
    congrats on the teaser! im sticking away from parlays and the like for awhile. right before the all star break i hit 4/5 and 5/6 in four consecutive nights. very tempting to think of that as success, but i was really just throwing away dough. i know a lot of people that expected bos to lay on the lakers again but that was a good pick, won SU and, from looking at the score, seemed to control most of the game. i occasionally bet college hoops, but not being from the states i dont have the expertise to make a lot of picks with confidence.

a few games with some great value today! already lay down on minny, back with the rest of my card later.

ZZPop

Haha, Kovalchuk made me jump out of my chair with that coast to coast goal, thing of beauty it was.

JC2008

That was excellent, his acceleration was like a damn video game!

Locke

yeah, he just hit the 'x' button!

[COLOR=#000000 ! important]Haha, Kovalchuk made me jump out of my chair with that coast to coast goal, thing of beauty it was.
    nights like this make you think he is worth the grandiose salary he is receiving

Locke

Another winning night yesterday. All three picks went to overtime and could have gone either way. Thankfully, connected on two of them. Sorry for the late post.

Record:
    6-1, +6 Units

February 11:

• MIN: +132
    • NYR: +103

I was deliberating whether or not to make more picks and I decided against it. The other games just do not offer the same attraction as these two. For those of you who are curious who I would pick in the other games, I will give you my picks. If I was to play the ML, and repeat the moneyline ONLY, I would pick the following teams:
    -SJS; devils are hot, but so are the sharks and i think they are better team
    -PIT; missing 3 of their top 4 centreman i believe however after an impressive victory in a tight game that was dominated by the opposition i think they will pull it out in ny.
    -CBJ; colorado may have forsberg tonight but i dont expect the legend to have much impact in this one (on the scoresheet)
    -BOS; was too impressed with their scoring ability on wednesday. detroit has some huge guns up front as well but i think rask will have a great performance
    -CHI; no comment
    -CGY; hot, hot, hot playing with a ton of confidence at home

There is a reason I did not play on these last 6. I easily expect surprises. I do not like betting when I hope to win, I prefer expecting the win. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE. grab some beers, put your feet up and enjoy some fantastic games on the schedule. Talk tomorrow!

mrginandtonic

Just curious why you like MIN tonight??

ZZPop

JOHN MADDEN!!! Minny wins in the 8th round of the shootout.

Locke

hey gin, sorry i didnt get back to you sooner. i thought minny was going to clean up in st louis tonight. they are a great road team, and i thought that might overcome st louis' impressive home record...which has been weaker lately. of course i wasnt disappointed with the result, but i thought it was going to be easier. 3 days on SBR, 3 winning days. hopefully i'll be up early enough to do my research before the kings/caps game tomorrow. battle of the bad tomorrow too, sens and oilers. should be interesting!

korbal29
    korbal29's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65

great analysis and insight. Even though hockey so impredictable. Keep up the good work

mrginandtonic

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    hey gin, sorry i didnt get back to you sooner. i thought minny was going to clean up in st louis tonight. they are a great road team, and i thought that might overcome st louis' impressive home record...which has been weaker lately. of course i wasnt disappointed with the result, but i thought it was going to be easier. 3 days on SBR, 3 winning days. hopefully i'll be up early enough to do my research before the kings/caps game tomorrow. battle of the bad tomorrow too, sens and oilers. should be interesting!
    no problem, glad I tailed u on MIN, NYR and CAL were very disappointing tho. anyways, keep up the great work!

slapster33

I have this brewing right now locke right now...........with proline!!!
    Product:PRO•LINE
    List:855
    Time Order Placed:February 12, 2011 12:09 PM AST
    Time Order Completed:February 12, 2011 12:09 PM AST
    Number of Games Wagered on:6
    Potential payout:$ 607.10
    Game Details

# Date Sport Game To Win Odds
    16 February 12, 2011 Hockey TORONTO at MONTREAL TIE 6.60
    82 February 12, 2011 Basketball DALLAS at HOUSTON HOUSTON 2.80
    154 February 12, 2011 College Basketball KENTUCKY at VANDERBILT TIE 2.30
    155 February 12, 2011 College Basketball NORTH CAROLINA at CLEMSON TIE 2.30
    165 February 12, 2011 College Basketball OHIO STATE at WISCONSIN TIE 2.30
    208 February 12, 2011 College Basketball ST MARYS (CA) at SAN FRANCISCO ST MARYS (CA) 1.35

Locke

wowwwee...those ties sure add up to a nice payout, WHEN THEY HIT! haha good luck brother. i wish i knew something about basketball, ohio state is still undefeated, right? looking forward to march madness. me and 7 friends always arrange a pool for that tourny, each pick 8 teams. none of us know anything which makes it a real hoot.
    as for the leafs/habs game i couldnt take a lean but i do believe it will be a close one. both these teams have been in their recent games right down to the wire..should be a good one!

RbN
    RbN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

i would say throw ur money in a well and make a wish, money well spend then those sucker parlays.

Locke

Quote Originally Posted by ZZPop View Post
    JOHN MADDEN!!! Minny wins in the 8th round of the shootout.
    i lost my shit when that happened...started making all sorts of promises haha!

Locke

Quote Originally Posted by RbN View Post
    i would say throw ur money in a well and make a wish, money well spend then those sucker parlays.
    i dunno man, some people have a knack for that. one of the guys at my company all he does is play three and four game nba parlays every night and drives a much nicer car than me so somethings got to be working, right?

im like you though...i'll never put money on parlay that would have me up a bunch of units on straight bets if i hit the big ones, however i get how it can be tempting!

Locke

Went 1-1 last night. Won on Minnesota which was great due to the odds. Still up on the day!
    Could not believe the shit I watched between the Islanders and Penguins. Hockey at its worst. Loved the team brawls between Montreal and Boston last week, but what I saw of last nights game was shameful. Here is the replay of just the fighting aspect of the game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_GT9...eature=related
    From what I gather, the Isles were going after Talbot because of this hit. What are your thoughts?

Record: 7-2, +6 Units

February 11:
    • MIN: -117
    • NAS -1.5: +173

I might make a play on Calgary tonight. On the fence because while everything on paper says that the Canucks should win, have a good "feeling" due to a few factors the flames have going in their favour. If I do make that play I will post it, but it is not likely. The +186 is attractive though. Hope you guys had a positive night yesterday. Let me know your thoughts on the Pit/Isles game, especially you Islanders fans out there!
    Good luck on this surprisingly warm Hockey Day in Canada (in case you are not aware google that).

Chucker
    Chucker's Avatar Become A Pro!

Damn dude that one isles player looked kinda reminiscent of
    Bertuzzi going for the ultra sucker punch. Crazy game...definitely a little over the top. Though it's been kind of a fun week with goalies getting into scraps .

Awesome picks man, keep it up. Just outta curiosity, what was your record before you started this thread?

Locke

Quote Originally Posted by Chucker View Post
    Damn dude that one isles player looked kinda reminiscent of Bertuzzi going for the ultra sucker punch. Crazy game...definitely a little over the top. Though it's been kind of a fun week with goalies getting into scraps . Awesome picks man, keep it up. Just outta curiosity, what was your record before you started this thread?
    Yeah, my friend was saying the same thing regarding that punch. I think that was one of the things that upset me the most. Intent to injure is a serious infraction. It will be interesting to see how those two teams play in their respective games today.
    My record on hockey picks in the 2010/2011 season is 122-90-2. Most of the losses have come on totals and parlays which is why at the start of February I decided to play sides and the ML almost entirely. February has been an exceptionally good month, but I do not want to discuss it. Thanks for the encouragement. Don't hesitate to give me some insight if you think I have overlooked something on one of my picks. Good luck mate!

1234 ... Last