DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

1) $$$, tickets prices, disposable income, $10 Miller drafts, parking

2) Experience has changed SOOO much for the worse for me.
    - Jumbotron, every idiot all over the area standing up and yelling every timeout/deadball
    - All the added bullshit, t-shirt cannons, multiple half time nonsense, dancers/cheerleaders

3) Last but certainly not least, 60" HD TV in the comfort of your home with better food, cocktails
    and people you choose to spend time with.

In the 80s, used to go to a ton of Celtic games. The only entertainment was an organ. Place was always sold out and rocking, but still not too difficult to find tickets. Last game I went to, had to bonus a buddy, and neither one of us ever saw Garnett live. Cost me a fortune (Ace tickets), like double face. We both walked out vowing never again.

sportsfan9698
    sportsfan9698's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 786

It is not just ticket prices... parking and concessions. After paying $100 for a lame ticket, you have another $100 in other fees.

Sports is going through the economic cycle that every industry goes through. Look for franchises in the red, and hot free agents holding out for money that is in the history books. This is happening.... BUT with Trump now in charge, I predict that the flow of discretionary income will start to accelerate. time will tell.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 107

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    Couldn't agree more although my opinion is obviously biased. Ever since the nfl lawsuits with cte espn was quick to pull the plug on their best segment... JACKED UP. Such political BS
    Ya, everytime anyone even lowers the boom on someone the first thing the announcers say is "oh they are probably going to have to look at this one", my personal favorite is when an offensive player is running and before he gets hit lowers his head and then because of that the defensive players goes helmet to helmet. Then the defensive player ends up getting penalized and ejected from the game for just trying to stop the guy. It's the gayest thing I have ever seen. When a player can dive for a QB and graze his helmet with his hand as the QB jukes him and that's a personal foul, I just have to laugh at how QBs are so protected players aren't even allowed to play defense.

sportsfan9698

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    Ya, everytime anyone even lowers the boom on someone the first thing the announcers say is "oh they are probably going to have to look at this one", my personal favorite is when an offensive player is running and before he gets hit lowers his head and then because of that the defensive players goes helmet to helmet. Then the defensive player ends up getting penalized and ejected from the game for just trying to stop the guy. It's the gayest thing I have ever seen. When a player can dive for a QB and graze his helmet with his hand as the QB jukes him and that's a personal foul, I just have to laugh at how QBs are so protected players aren't even allowed to play defense.
    Welcome to the USA. Football MUST adjust to the concussion thing. They will be sued out of existence if they do not. this is fact. So like it and adjust, or hate it and move on.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

It's the ticket prices and draconian rules at these venues that's keeping me away. I can afford the ticket prices, but why would I bother, when for that kind of money I could go on a nice weekend getaway, or spend the money on something else that is going to bring long-term enjoyment.

Also, few people that attend the games socialize much with other fans, you can't smoke anywhere inside these venues anymore, two drink maximum, can't get a drink after the 2nd period, and other BS that just makes me want to hit a pub instead of going through all the hassle.

sportsfan9698

^^^ all true. I have not been to a major sporting event in several years now. I will go again someday, but don't feel I really need to. I like MLB and NHL most for live action

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i do agree that the "500 channel TV universe" and the internet in general are crowding out tons and tons of other leisure activities.

i was thinking of going to USC-Washington game but then when i thought about it it is 7 or 8 hour time commitment from a Seattle hotel or home. watch the game on TV and multi-task on other stuff like crazy. makes way more sense...... years ago though, there wasn't nearly as much convenient stuff to multi-task while watching the game.

none of this answers why NFL/ESPN/etc. are down so much very recently.

vincanity15
    vincanity15's Avatar Become A Pro!

In the nets final season or seasons in izod center when the team was awful and they had next to nobody going to games, they hired fans to attend. They had a partnership with a website that also provided crowds for off broadway shows etc to make the shows appear full. They would call you and ask you to attend the game and they would provide $20-$30 credit for food etc. They called you "crowd atmosphere enhancement talent" Embarrassing. I went to about 5 games as a fake fan

beavis13
    beavis13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Went to the Sharks game last night and have never seen it so empty. Best tickets for a lower bowl ticket on Ticketmaster was center ice row 12 for $165 plus fees. Was able to get a glass seat for $135 on Stubhub three hours before the game. And that came with a $15 food credit which paid for 2 of the 10 beers I had there.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Dallas Mavs game tonight. 35% empty.

beavis13
    beavis13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

wow, that's pathetic

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Hoops are terrible. A bunch of mostly black primadonna's who are totally worthless if they have to do anything else, taking their time moving their lazy arses up and down a court. People getting legally robbed at these games. $10.00 beers. It is that way in all sports. Even at Del Mar Race Track, a decent lunch and drink will cost you nearly $100.00. and that is per person. Who needs that crap? There is no doubt that the ridiculous salaries these clowns are getting, plus the racial tensions brought on by Black Groups lying, cheating, or doing everything else they can to put the blame of black plight on everyone except themselves is not helping the issue. Sports is dying. If the nation's economy goes South, Hoops will be the first sport to fold.

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26307

The billionaire owners will be fine, don't worry

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22592

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    Athletes are there to "dance" and entertain me; I don't want them to open their mouths.
    Touche.......shut the phuck up and play!

Hu$tle
    Hu$tle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1247

NBA too many games only playoffs really matter at least 50-100 for a ticket and some food

Blazers game ike 70% full on a good game

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20358

Why spend a ton of money at a game when you have a comfy couch and a big TV? I like going to sporting events, but no need to go all the time. The whole process of going to the game is not fun either...parking far, having to walk far in the cold, standing in line, etc.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Too much money to see the games and now with improving technology, you can watch the games from anywhere and any device. Why go to a game unless it's a birthday or holiday gift... Also, players making so much money and some leagues being watered down doesn't help. I've really noticed the NFL taking a major drop and this is due to the lack of quality play on the field and people are realizing that every hit these players are taking could give them brain damage or CTE.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

When a player like Ryan Fitzpatrick held out for 11 or 12 million dollars for this season, that's a problem and it disgusts people.

calvin34242
    Update your status
    calvin34242's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

when people are getting arse fuked with health insurance premiums less money for fun things like movies going out to eat and sporting events

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    When a player like Ryan Fitzpatrick held out for 11 or 12 million dollars for this season, that's a problem and it disgusts people.
    Well then those people need to educate themselves. The players are getting "ridiculous" amounts of money because the owners are getting "obscene" amounts of money, mostly from tv. And tv pays it because these same petty hateful people who are "disgusted" watch it in droves. Don't like it, don't watch. Pretty fuk'n simple. Economics 101, you're worth what someone is willing to pay you.
    Points Awarded:

MickeyMan gave swordsandtequila 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    I agree with the noise at the games. I already have a hearing problem when outside noise is involved, and I have a hard time talking to my daughter when we go to the Predators games. HD has kept me at home a lot more now, especially for watching hockey. You can keep track of the puck a lot better. I also have League Pass and Center Ice. Why go to the game when watching any game I want is so easily accessible?
    This. Just isn't worth the "live" experience anymore, given the alternative. Maybe once a year at most.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Well then those people need to educate themselves. The players are getting "ridiculous" amounts of money because the owners are getting "obscene" amounts of money, mostly from tv. And tv pays it because these same petty hateful people who are "disgusted" watch it in droves. Don't like it, don't watch. Pretty fuk'n simple. Economics 101, you're worth what someone is willing to pay you.
    Irony of that? No one is watching ESPN anymore. The TV deals are making all of the owners and players disgusting amounts of money, and it was all for nothing.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    Why spend a ton of money at a game when you have a comfy couch and a big TV? I like going to sporting events, but no need to go all the time. The whole process of going to the game is not fun either...parking far, having to walk far in the cold, standing in line, etc.
    And spending a fortune, too.

This post is exactly right. It's not complicated.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Hoops are terrible. A bunch of mostly black primadonna's who are totally worthless if they have to do anything else, taking their time moving their lazy arses up and down a court. People getting legally robbed at these games. $10.00 beers. It is that way in all sports. Even at Del Mar Race Track, a decent lunch and drink will cost you nearly $100.00. and that is per person. Who needs that crap? There is no doubt that the ridiculous salaries these clowns are getting, plus the racial tensions brought on by Black Groups lying, cheating, or doing everything else they can to put the blame of black plight on everyone except themselves is not helping the issue. Sports is dying. If the nation's economy goes South, Hoops will be the first sport to fold.
    You brought up plenty of valid points without involving sweeping race generalizations. That has nothing to do with it. The NHL is going through the exact same thing the NBA is experiencing.

Of course, at a place like SBR, your bigotry goes unnoticed. Par for the course here.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

I've been to 2 Sixers games so far. Plan on going to probably 5 more. But yea, the presentation on television has made it better to just stay home.

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Irony of that? No one is watching ESPN anymore. The TV deals are making all of the owners and players disgusting amounts of money, and it was all for nothing.
    ESPN has what 3 baseball games, one football game, no NHL and a few NBA games a week?

For the most part the big tv deals are with other networks. The absolute garbage that espn has on the air when it's not showing actual sports is the reason it's tanking.

I find it funny that fans will bitch about how much money athletes and owners get paid yet sit and watch these guys every single night.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMan View Post
    I find it funny that fans will bitch about how much money athletes and owners get paid yet sit and watch these guys every single night.
    I'm 39 years old... been watching sports religiously (because of wagering purposes) since 1999. I live near Detroit... so we have the top 4 sports you can attend any time. I've been to Joe Louis Arena probably 6 times my entire life mostly during ages 10-13. Tigers Stadium twice back in 1993-1994. Never been to a Lions Game. Never been to Ford Field... never been to Comerica Park. Last time I actually went to a live game was 1994. So what's that??? 22 years ago?

I just don't get the thrill or jolly anymore by going to a game. You're battling people when you get there... you're battling people when you get out. Depending on who you're taking... or how cheap you're going to be... tickets, food, beer... parking... $200 for around 3 hours of entertainment? Maybe not even that.

Who doesn't enjoy the art of competition? I think that's why I wager on sports. Athletes are going to get paid whatever the going rate is... I'm not going to donate by going to a game and battling a sh#$ load of people. Because that's what you're doing...

Kudos to everyone who said the best sporting experience is buying a 70" TV.... surround sound.... and in the comfort of your own home. With the picture quality now... it's the best bang for the buck in my eyes.

I'm just surprised that a lot of these arenas aren't being filled night in and night out. Every owner has a budget.... and perhaps 20-30% vacant seats is a part of the budget? I wouldn't know? I would hope these empty seats would drive ticket prices DOWN. But... I'm probably dreaming.

When I was a kid... I thought the coolest thing was going to a game. As you get older... you understand life, business, and politics that comes into play... you're like.... F you... I'm not donating to your empire anymore.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 107

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan9698 View Post
    Welcome to the USA. Football MUST adjust to the concussion thing. They will be sued out of existence if they do not. this is fact. So like it and adjust, or hate it and move on.
    If you didn't realize going in that violent hits to the head might not help you later in life you are an idiot. I don't feel sorry for any of these guys trying to sue the NFL because it's common sense. It just shows how pathetic the court system has become in this country. I equate their case to a dumb fuk who burns their mouth on a McDonald's cup of coffee that has a warning label yet gets paid. Most of these guys suing the NFL are just former players who pissed all their millions away and have zero education and now are looking for a handout. Most of these guy make more in one year than most will in a lifetime and that is their payment for playing a violent sport. No one is making them do it, that is their choice and then to turn around and sue the organization later on because life didn't turn out the way they wanted is just pathetic.

klemopixx
    Shit just got real.
    klemopixx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2395

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    I've been to 2 Sixers games so far. Plan on going to probably 5 more. But yea, the presentation on television has made it better to just stay home.
    Costs more to park than tix for the Sixers. Problem is Embiid only plays half the games and with garbage like the cancellation last night, who wants to waste their time?

TheMoneyShot

Washington Wizards game tonight.... 60% - 65% Empty. Unreal.

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11794

Fill the seats with cardboard fans

mngambler
    mngambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3057

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    Just bet it...nobody needs to actually watch the garbage
    truer words have never been spoken...lets be honest as far as the winter big 3 (NHL, NBA, NFL) ya you'll get some really great games mixed in here and there but 75-85% of regular season play is projectile vomit that nobody wants to watch

Sam Losco
    Sam Losco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13690

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    I prefer going to baseball games, but the problem with them is that they are performed at a pace that is open to laid back socializing when we are in an age of social media. Kids don't want to just sit back, chill, socialize, keep score, etc like we used to. How many times have they panned to someone in the crowd, and they are on that cellphone? That's why I think a timer between pitches is so important. Baseball has to do something to keep the 21st century fan's attention on the game.
    i absolutely love going to baseball games, always have even though growing up it wasnt always my favourite sport. you nailed it on why its harder for kids to watch live, their attention spans are way too short

t-bone
    t-bone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1871

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I'm 39 years old... been watching sports religiously (because of wagering purposes) since 1999. I live near Detroit... so we have the top 4 sports you can attend any time. I've been to Joe Louis Arena probably 6 times my entire life mostly during ages 10-13. Tigers Stadium twice back in 1993-1994. Never been to a Lions Game. Never been to Ford Field... never been to Comerica Park. Last time I actually went to a live game was 1994. So what's that??? 22 years ago?

I just don't get the thrill or jolly anymore by going to a game. You're battling people when you get there... you're battling people when you get out. Depending on who you're taking... or how cheap you're going to be... tickets, food, beer... parking... $200 for around 3 hours of entertainment? Maybe not even that.

Who doesn't enjoy the art of competition? I think that's why I wager on sports. Athletes are going to get paid whatever the going rate is... I'm not going to donate by going to a game and battling a sh#$ load of people. Because that's what you're doing...

Kudos to everyone who said the best sporting experience is buying a 70" TV.... surround sound.... and in the comfort of your own home. With the picture quality now... it's the best bang for the buck in my eyes.

I'm just surprised that a lot of these arenas aren't being filled night in and night out. Every owner has a budget.... and perhaps 20-30% vacant seats is a part of the budget? I wouldn't know? I would hope these empty seats would drive ticket prices DOWN. But... I'm probably dreaming.

When I was a kid... I thought the coolest thing was going to a game. As you get older... you understand life, business, and politics that comes into play... you're like.... F you... I'm not donating to your empire anymore.

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26823

i dont see it. being a knicks season ticket holder ive sold 40 out of my 41 home games this year at a profit or face value. the garden is packed right now.

i know it doesnt hurt the knicks are playing well.

ive been a partial plan holder for the mets. those tickets arent easy to get rid of 81 home games @ 40000 + seats on gameday you can get tickets on stubhub for 6 bucks.

a lot of the markets that are being talked about here the teams arent playing well or the team they are playing doesnt have a national fan base. im pretty sure you wont see all of those empty seats when golden state, lakers, bulls, etc come to town

First 123 Last