Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

Excel Problems

Downloading college football point spreads from Sbrodds into excel. Excel has an annoying feature where is turns things that look like fomulas into results, for example:
    -10 -110 becomes -120.

This is annoying in and of itself, but easily fixable. Some openers come in at -105, so this could be the difference between an -8 opener and a -3 opener because of this issue. I am running automation via script so I don't want to and can't spot check. Has anyone had any luck fixing this or is there a work around that anyone knows?

Miz
    Miz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3162

a quick and dirty way might be to open it in word pad first, and replace all "-" with "#_". Then you might be able to open in excel, do text to columns using just # as your delimiter. Once they are in the correct columns replace "_" with "-"...

however the text to columns may not play nicely with games that have positive numbers.

I have had this issue before too. I can't recall exactly how I solved it... another option that may work is to turn your formula evaluation option to manual. However it may still evaluate it on file open.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill

Quote Originally Posted by Miz View Post
    a quick and dirty way might be to open it in word pad first, and replace all "-" with "#_". Then you might be able to open in excel, do text to columns using just # as your delimiter. Once they are in the correct columns replace "_" with "-"...

however the text to columns may not play nicely with games that have positive numbers.

I have had this issue before too. I can't recall exactly how I solved it... another option that may work is to turn your formula evaluation option to manual. However it may still evaluate it on file open.
    Thanks for the response Miz. Problem is fixed doing a manual copy paste. It is not an elegant solution, and its more time consuming, but for college football with 100+ games on a day, it isn't that bad. Excel has its limits.

Miz
    Miz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3162

Glad you found something. I hear you on sometimes just using brute force

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

Waters, I've done numerous excel threads, look for them for help

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post
    Waters, I've done numerous excel threads, look for them for help
    I have seen your threads in the past and they have been very helpful. I do not recall seeing a specific post regarding this. I am aware of how to get data into excel. It is the specific problem of excel autoevaluating expressions. If you have a solution, I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post
    I am running automation via script so I don't want to and can't spot check. Has anyone had any luck fixing this or is there a work around that anyone knows?
    if by script you mean VBA, then this should be simply a matter of changing .xlsx to .csv during download process

you could still have it automated converting it from csv to xlsx, although i don't see anywhere in this thread where you say you are running any formulas once you have the data.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill

Quote Originally Posted by statnerds View Post
    if by script you mean VBA, then this should be simply a matter of changing .xlsx to .csv during download process

you could still have it automated converting it from csv to xlsx, although i don't see anywhere in this thread where you say you are running any formulas once you have the data.
    This might be a solution. I am running game simulations after, so I would need formulas. Let me look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.