arwar
    arwar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1544

scrapers

Hey guys,

I have put of circulation for a while. But for those of you who recall i code scrapers (very fast) and they are usually free of charge. so if you have any need for data mining shoot me a PM. i am also doing some involved work with parlays - in preparation for upcoming football season. all the guys i lost touch with shoot me a PM so we can catch up.

bullock
    bullock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

What sports/ leagues data have you scraped?

oilcountry99
    oilcountry99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1094

Looking for an NHL scraper that can be ran daily for the current season once it starts. Looking for something that will track goals by period, excel based. I have something now that will scrape the entire season which just takes to long for nothing, Id like the scraper to search for the last date scraped or in the database and then continue from that date each time it runs.

Maybe you have something similar

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1712

What is scraping?

akphidelt
    akphidelt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 640

Quote Originally Posted by Itsamazing777 View Post
    What is scraping?
    It's extracting information from websites for your own use. Usually to store in a database or some excel workbook for analysis, rather than having to write down all the data, every day.

bullock
    bullock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Quote Originally Posted by Itsamazing777 View Post
    What is scraping?
    Something you should outsource to Indians

C-Ville
    C-Ville's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Don't have forty posts yet, so I can't pm you. Is there any way I could email you?
    Last edited by C-Ville; 08-14-15 at 05:08 PM.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by arwar View Post
    Hey guys,

I have put of circulation for a while. But for those of you who recall i code scrapers (very fast) and they are usually free of charge. so if you have any need for data mining shoot me a PM. i am also doing some involved work with parlays - in preparation for upcoming football season. all the guys i lost touch with shoot me a PM so we can catch up.
    okay i need to know what the San Diego Padres home record in day games when they are favored by -150 or more.

yak merchant
    yak merchant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6170

Quote Originally Posted by bullock View Post
    Something you should outsource to Indians
    Building or outsourcing "the" Scraper is the easy part. Keeping the damn thing running using multiple sources and cleansing data to eliminate errors is the chore. (I won't discuss the huge losing streak I went on one year because I had bad data in the database due to bad boxscores posted on one website) Not mention when you are trying to track individual player stats and the same guy get's his name spelled 4 different ways in the play-by-play it requires either some serious fuzzy logic algorithms or somebody to look at every exception. Either way it requires either time or money. MLB, NFL and NBA are pretty straight forward, College basketball starts to get ugly, but with cfbstats pricing the "hobbyist" out of the market for play-by-play data, College Football is now by far the hardest. I am considering scrapping all my existing code and doing it right to build a web service/database for NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAAB, NCAAF play-by-play data and odds. I would have to charge not for "building" the scrapers as I would be happy to eat a one time cost, but I would likely have to get around 100 people paying on average $30-40 bucks a month to hire a person to steward the data and to pay for Web Servers, Database Servers, Backup Servers etc. I just don't have the time right now but I'd be interested how many people think they would pay $40 a month or $399 a year for downloadable play-by-play data in CSV,XML,JSON etc.