jeffjam_
    jeffjam_'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4483

Conquering risk - regression formula mistake

Hi, recently I've obtained the book Conquering risk: Attacking Vegas and I tried to create a simple WNBA model according to the author's demonstration. However, when I reached the point of using recommanded regression function to calculate projected visitor offensive efficiency, the function returns bad values as in the return value of proj off eff is 40 times greater than it should have been, which should be around 100.
    Have anyone tried to use it and stumbled upon the same problem? Maybe the function was inserted into the book flawed on the purpose. Thanks.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

i've read the book and while I've used regressions in similar techniques shown, i haven't tried to copy any verbatim and haven't for any for the WNBA.

i'd suggest doing a little research on google for optimal use of excel regressions because it isn't the easiest output in the world to understand from Excel and you may be mis-interpreting the results.

jeffjam_
    jeffjam_'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4483

You're right, the regression functions presented in the book are outdated and any use could cause fatal damage, however, my main concern is that function for VOE is returning values around 4000 instead of values around 100 so there is something fundamentally wrong with it. Anyway, I contacted the author of the book and he couldn't help me in any way so instead I decided to go Pomeroy's way of projecting Poss and Off/Def Eff.
    The little I know about regression is that it use past data to create functions to predict future (interpolate it in a way) other than that I don't know anything about creating one.

James Marques
    James Marques's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3692

What do you expect from a book written in 10th grade mathematics?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by James Marques View Post
    What do you expect from a book written in 10th grade mathematics?
    Name:  amused.gif
Views: 541
Size:  1.76 MB

arwar
    arwar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1544

regression analysis

nice reply - are the guys in the background holding shields? they look wooden. what kind of event is that - jousting? gladiators? vikings? i give up

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

It is a scene from the movie Troy. They would be greeks.