usma1992
    usma1992's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2268

Heading into Year 5 with my modeling sequence...

MLB tested but not working. NBA have just been in data collection phase. NCAAF hasn't worked yet in 4 seasons but I am cautiously optimistic. NFL worked last year but I have made modifications. NCAAB has worked more than one year.

I entered into statistics Master's Degree program to assist in my program but have to keep my distance from the college. Professors have advised me to so that the university doesn't take credit for my work.

I will be posting all my picks starting week 5. I have some picks that seem to be generating 90 success rate.

Thanks
    Dave

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

90 success rate lmao. WTF does that even mean?

usma1992
    usma1992's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2268

I guess it means a 5 star pick. I haven't equated it to a dollar value etc... I have 5-6 picks that are hitting at that percentage. I assure you that I will post all my picks well ahead of time... and people can rip me apart if they fail. I have posted picks for the last couple of years and had a following on some for a while. I really don't care..all I am looking for is feedback to make my system better... if someone says the think a pick is way off... and it turns out to be.. I look into it and see what I missed it is helpful for me...

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

good luck sir

evo34
    evo34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4198

Why don't you track your picks on a site like pickmonitor.com and actually measure how well (or not) you are doing?

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

good luck, but "seem to" and "will" are quite different.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by usma1992 View Post
    MLB tested but not working. NBA have just been in data collection phase. NCAAF hasn't worked yet in 4 seasons but I am cautiously optimistic. NFL worked last year but I have made modifications. NCAAB has worked more than one year.
    There are several problems with this IMO

MLB isn't working. That may mean your modeling isn't working, and it happens to be showing itself in MLB

NBA just in data collection phase? There are plenty of archives of historical info, why don't you have a model for NBA?

NCAAF has been a dismal failure but you're cautiously optimistic? Why?

NFL worked one year out of five? So you modified it?

NCAAB also sounds like a loser

Bottom line it sounds like you are testing your system, then waiting to tweak it based on results to "improve" it. Problem is that isn't an improvement that's modifying based on past results. Not much different than going to a craps table with a betting strategy and then after you noticed 4s and 10s got rolled a lot changing your strategy to bet more on the 4 and 10

staf
    staf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3553

I entered into statistics Master's Degree program to assist in my program but have to keep my distance from the college. Professors have advised me to so that the university doesn't take credit for my work.

I will be posting all my picks starting week 5. I have some picks that seem to be generating 90 success rate.

Thanks
    Dave
    I fail to grasp the point of this post, but you're welcome

brettd
    brettd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Thanks
    Dave

A Master's Degree is a very expensive way to figure out what you need to actually learn in sports modelling when you get out of a Master's Degree.

I just got awarded my MSci (Applied Statistics) after explicitly doing it to become a better sports modeler/bettor. Academics are not the best types to learn about beating markets from.

willyback
    willyback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by brettd View Post
    A Master's Degree is a very expensive way to figure out what you need to actually learn in sports modelling when you get out of a Master's Degree.

I just got awarded my MSci (Applied Statistics) after explicitly doing it to become a better sports modeler/bettor. Academics are not the best types to learn about beating markets from.
    I agree. Academia is way too structured to think outside of the box enough to develop original models.

willyback

Last year during the NFL season, my model was averaging 60% to 65% every other week. On my off week's I'd typically break even: rarely taking a loss. Sadly, I made the mistake of thinking that I could enhance my average winning percentage with some late season tweaks to my model. I subsequently ended-up crashing and burning in December: racking up huge losses that dug deep into my total profits for the season.

Going into this season now, I'm still trying to figure out where I went wrong.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

Willy, you went wrong when you thought you had to do better than 60% and then 50% then 60% off and on

willyback

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post
    Willy, you went wrong when you thought you had to do better than 60% and then 50% then 60% off and on
    I was in the hunt for perfection. Years and years worth of research, just to hit 60% of my games wasn't sitting well with me. I wanted to have a winning position on every game (...a recipe for surefire madness in hindsight).

We'll see what happens this year.

HUY
    HUY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3257

Quote Originally Posted by willyback View Post
    Years and years worth of research, just to hit 60% of my games wasn't sitting well with me. I wanted to have a winning position on every game.
    Nice troll man.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Quote Originally Posted by brettd View Post

That is wild.
    Did you learn a lot? Are you going to enter a field other than sport statistics?
    It seems as if every field is looking for guys/gals who can analyze statistics in an efficient manner.

cala56
    cala56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5810

You cant predict just whit numbers.