Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24927

Anybody Here Do Auction Drafts? Well... Let's Talk About That Shit, Shall We?

It's obviously not nearly as popular as the traditional snake draft, but people I've known to do auctions swear by it.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Best thing about auctions is that you can really target specific players you like. It's also fun to bid up players you don't like.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

The benefit of having an auction draft is that everyone is on equal ground. The downside is, you need to be well prepared and know how to budget your money. If you don't, you are dead money.

Eddy Munny

I hear ya, although I don't view needing to be well prepared as a downside. I actually view that as a positive because too often novices can simply catch a break by how the snake draft unfolds and end up with a really good team. I think the auctions give the seasoned vets a chance to separate themselves from the lesser competition, thus eliminating some of the luck that comes into play.

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11153

They are fun. I play in two leagues and for one we use auction. Definitely more fun in person than on the computer though. Got a misclick last year trying to move away from the bidding and ended up stuck with a bust.

Eddy Munny

I look forward to my auction draft this year. Being prepared, personnel wise, won't be an issue for me. I devour most Fantasy related articles to the point of redundancy. The part that's hard to prepare for is what to actually expect when the dollar amounts are getting tossed around. There are rough value charts to price players at, but it really comes down to the other 11 players in your league and who they personally assign value to. I've found auction drafts difficult to mock for because the Yahoo and ESPN versions are seriously flawed.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

we need an SBR auction league this year. (500 or 1000 pt entry).

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanStallion View Post
    They are fun. I play in two leagues and for one we use auction. Definitely more fun in person than on the computer though. Got a misclick last year trying to move away from the bidding and ended up stuck with a bust.
    I find that in person drafts you can play more of a bluff game when it comes to bidding. On the computer you really can't tell interest level very well.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

First auction was last year and I loved it. It's definitely better for live drafts than a computer.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    we need an SBR auction league this year. (500 or 1000 pt entry).
    I'd be up for that.