LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Mel Kiper: Manziel is the Consensus #1 QB

Whether or not that consensus includes the Texans, who have the number one pick, remains to be seen. You would think keeping Manziel close to home would be a no-brainer, but new coach Bill O'Brien seems to favor Blake Bortles, although he may get overruled by management.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

eh...i dont know if manziel being close to home is best for him....might be good for the texans from a financial standpoint.....just dont know if hes ready to have his friends within a short traveling distance.....sounds like bad news to me....unless he makes a decision to actually change his lifestyle.......the texans would offer him a chance have a competitive team off the bat.....which would be good for him.....

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Should be interesting

I think he is best qb in draft as far as best pro skills in this so called new generation offenses

bobby heenan
    Update your status

houston might be the best place for him out the gate...as far as giving him a chance to win and be successful off the bat.....but i think a place like cleveland might be better for him....and despite how many on here talk about cleveland....i think there is an opp to be successful there....their roster isnt completely void of talent.....in fact i think if they nail this draft they might be a pretty good team soon

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

their is no way the Texans are stupid enough to draft Manziel first overall. Complete waste of a draft pick and in that division they can actually be competitive next season with a veteran quarterback if they have a good draft overall. Realistically Manziel shouldn't even be a 1st rounder yet their is so much hype someone will make the mistake of drafting him. I really hope its the Cleveland Browns as they are known for making these type of bad decisions that continuously set their franchise back. Drafting Manziel would mean another 2-3 years down the drain.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Kiper is

he thought jimmy clausen was the second coming

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Kiper has ties to certain agents and pumps up certain guys every year....not saying Manziel is one of em
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BennyBigNuts

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

He said this is what nfl teams have told him, not his own opinion. Just yesterday however bill obrien said he wasn't impressed with manziels work ethic. I think bortles is their guy when all said and done. Him or clowney

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Kiper has ties to certain agents and pumps up certain guys every year....not saying Manziel is one of em
    not sure what that would accomplish....do you think any team puts any stock into what he says?

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

All the hype aside...

Is he durable enough for the NFL... Kid was gimpy this past yr only his 2nd yr in College ball

Let's dont forget RGIII - Sammy knows NFL GMs won't

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Bring him to Cleveland
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: edawg

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

if houston is gonna draft a QB they would take Bridgewater without a doubt and its not even close

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

"Three years from now you could certainly be looking at a guy who is certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league . . . Nobody has an arm like JaMarcus Russell. . .

Obviously, he'll need a little time. But you're talking about a 2-3-year period. Once he's under center, look out, because the skill level he has is certainly John Elway-like."

-mel kiper 2007

lol

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: mikeya2k, and slacker00

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Cleveland has made no secret they want Manziel. May be Houston's way of getting them to trade up

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Cleveland has made no secret they want Manziel. May be Houston's way of getting them to trade up
    maybe.....but cleveland would be dumb to waste anything on moving up for manziel....i think theyd have to stand pat and take whoever is there.....there isnt a qb here who is a sure thing....otherwise you could bet thered be no way houston would even be open to trading the pick....a team like st louis might be wise to put out a smokescreen that there are teams interested in trading to 2.....since they could move back and still get a player they like.....

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Yes. I think Houston will trade down, though I'm not sure it'll be to Cleveland who might get him at 4 anyway.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    maybe.....but cleveland would be dumb to waste anything on moving up for manziel....i think theyd have to stand pat and take whoever is there.....there isnt a qb here who is a sure thing....otherwise you could bet thered be no way houston would even be open to trading the pick....a team like st louis might be wise to put out a smokescreen that there are teams interested in trading to 2.....since they could move back and still get a player they like.....
    If Cleveland can do something dumb, they usually don't pass up the opportunity.

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    If Cleveland can do something dumb, they usually don't pass up the opportunity.

Add raiders to that list too

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3177

Believe Manziel to be boom or bust. High upside, but could see him as a complete failure. Would rather go the safer route and take Bridgewater. Should be interesting.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    if houston is gonna draft a QB they would take Bridgewater without a doubt and its not even close
    No, it's between Manziel and Bortles. O'Brien apparently want Bortles but he may get overruled.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    Believe Manziel to be boom or bust. High upside, but could see him as a complete failure. Would rather go the safer route and take Bridgewater. Should be interesting.
    Bridgewater doesn't even seem to be a consideration, so he could slip to third QB taken if Houston takes Bortles.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 316

Mel Kiper is clueless. If he knew anything he would have been a GM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ratpack

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 170

Johnny might a be a good sleeper fantasy QB. Draft all your players then take Manziel as a QB

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10260

in my book mel kipper is a fukin nut , over paid ass hole

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

#1 if you're looking for jersey sales and ticket sales, so yeah probably.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24749

Why would Houston want Blake Bortles with the #1 overall? There's a Blake Bortles in every draft. Manziel is a once in a generation type player. He may present some risk, but that's the nature of the beast. Blake Bortles will be on the scrapheap of forgotten players in a few years time. Manziel could possibly resuscitate a floundering franchise. I think Manziel's ability to improvise his way out of busted plays would turn DeAndre Hopkins into a monster. Those two could become the future.

cmendo2005
    cmendo2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

Yeah that risk is that Mansfield plays a style and has a personality not conducive to succeeding nfl qbs

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Why would Houston want Blake Bortles with the #1 overall? There's a Blake Bortles in every draft. Manziel is a once in a generation type player. He may present some risk, but that's the nature of the beast. Blake Bortles will be on the scrapheap of forgotten players in a few years time. Manziel could possibly resuscitate a floundering franchise. I think Manziel's ability to improvise his way out of busted plays would turn DeAndre Hopkins into a monster. Those two could become the future.
    Once in a generation LMAO. A once in a generation clown, maybe. He will be flattened in the NFL and his act will wear thin. Don't have much of an opinion on Bortles specifically, as far as he goes. I think the QB talent in this draft is highly overrated overall. My sleeper would be David Fales as a shorter version of Nick Foles. Fales....Foles...get it?

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    not sure what that would accomplish....do you think any team puts any stock into what he says?
    Maybe, maybe not.....but when you start hearing about certain guys more and more on ESPN for 3 months straight it's possible that some teams start thinking that other teams think highly of a player....at worst, it makes the general public wonder what happened if a guy "supposed to be" picked top 10 drops

Kiper definitely has some influence, but how far it goes, not sure

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Clowney is the sharp play here for Houston....him and JJ Watt could be just sick

Bob McNair, Texans Owner, is a South Carolina Alum also and has a scholarship there named after him

Can always trade back into the first round for a QB from pick 33 (2nd rounder) or target a guy at that pick

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think that in a fairly QB-rich draft class, using a #1 overall selection on Manziel seems unwise. Year after year, NFL defenses prove that scrambling QBs can't live off their mobility like they did in college. Given the overall quality of Houston's team and their readiness to compete in 2014 based on that talent, it just seems like a poor move to go with a higher-risk player as their #1 that will need to be going against his natural tendencies of making plays happen outside the pocket.

I could support a #1 pick for Bortles, as I think he's got the brains to really step into a starting role and excel. Beyond that, I'd rather see Houston just take Jake Matthews, Jadaveon Clowney, or Khalil Mack in the first round as high value, instant-impact players, and wait until R2 to take a QB.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Its hit or miss with most of these guys every draft

Injuries are a huge factor also

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Its hit or miss with most of these guys every draft

Injuries are a huge factor also

With thy manziel I'd be more worried can he control himself aWay from field

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Once in a generation LMAO. A once in a generation clown, maybe. He will be flattened in the NFL and his act will wear thin. Don't have much of an opinion on Bortles specifically, as far as he goes. I think the QB talent in this draft is highly overrated overall. My sleeper would be David Fales as a shorter version of Nick Foles. Fales....Foles...get it?

Well then take Clowney. I'm not saying this QB class merits a #1 pick, but if that's the route Houston decides to go, Manziel has more upside than Bortles. Manziel would flourish in Houston with the right system. The pieces are there for success, and he would benefit from playing home games indoors on the fast track.

Eddy Munny

Also, it's somewhat dismissive to just lump Manziel in with the "mobile quarterbacks" crowd. Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck are mobile. Cam Newton and RGIII even more so. But the closest comparison you can make in characterizing Manziel's ability to scoot, as far as quarterbacks, would be Michael Vick in his prime. Off the field troubles aside, Vick has had a pretty decent career as an NFL quarterback.

The fact of the matter is Johnny Football is in a class of his own, in terms of mobility at the quarterback position. He is without peer. His ability to start and stop, or cut on a dime is more on the order of a Reggie Bush or Desean Jackson, but without the pure straightaway speed.

1234 Last