Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    read a rumor that Liriano was going to sign with bucs for 39 million over 3 years
    Yep. Great to have Frankie coming back next year!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Yes it is official!

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanStallion View Post
    Simon and Latos gone from the Reds. Bummer.

Back when the Reds signed Homer, I preferred Latos or was hoping for both. Now have to move forward.
    Not to happy about losing these two myself...

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Man, the White Sox are making some big waves...

Melky Cabrera, Jeff Samardzija, David Robertson, Zack Duke, & Adam LaRoche.

I guess it makes sense since the money that was freed up by the contracts of Peavy, Dunn, Konerko, & Rios expiring this past year.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post

I guess it makes sense since the money that was freed up by the contracts of Peavy, Dunn, Konerko, & Rios expiring this past year.
    it would be very nice to have relevant baseball in chicago again.... last summer was the worst

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

it would be very nice to have relevant baseball in chicago again.... last summer was the worst
    Although I'm not a Chicago fan, I do agree that it would be good to see the Windy City get back to winning again...

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

right

just don't want the Cubs success to be better than the Pirates!

lol

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
    Pitchers and catchers report in about 10 weeks and in 24 days can start the 2015 thread
    Yessir! Before we know it Opening Day will be upon us...

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

right

just don't want the Cubs success to be better than the Pirates!

lol
    come on the cubs have suffer long enough

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Wrigley, Congrats for killing it again in BTP this week!

Cheers to you, bud!

That's like 10 in a row, don't you get an iPad now?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

2 years 20 millions for Edison Volquez in KC

good luck sir

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

The Royals also signed Kris Medlen to a two-yeay deal.

Hes coming back from Tommy John surgery.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
    come on the cubs have suffer long enough
    No they can suffer some more. It keeps them interesting.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

I think that is a good signing

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Pirates sign Corey Hart

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Pirates sign Corey Hart
    Yeah, I just heard that. A one-year deal.

Not a bad signing, in my opinion.

I think he still has some pop left...

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

2 years 20 millions for Edison Volquez in KC

good luck sir

Two nice additions for the Royals.

I don't like seeing Eddie V leave town but I think the Buccos will be okay without him.

Cole, Burnett, Liriano, Worley, Locke, Morton sounds just fine with me!

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstop View Post
    Two nice additions for the Royals.

I don't like seeing Eddie V leave town but I think the Buccos will be okay without him.

Cole, Burnett, Liriano, Worley, Locke, Morton sounds just fine with me!
    Thats a sound rotation for sure.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Thats a sound rotation for sure.
    I think so, too. Hopefully, they can all stay healthy. Can't wait to see what Burnett does this year...

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Hopefully Jameson Tallion recovers from TJ surgery and adds some umpth to the pitching staff in the end of the year as well

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Hopefully Jameson Tallion recovers from TJ surgery and adds some umpth to the pitching staff in the end of the year as well
    I had almost forgotten about Tallion.

Yes, I'm hoping he can contribute somewhere throughout the season.

Who knows, he may even throw harder than he did before the surgery...

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 311

Pirates smart to take a chance on Korean shortstop Jung-Ho Kang

By Mike Axisa | Baseball Writer

December 22, 2014 2:39 pm ET

The Pirates have won the bidding for Jung-Ho Kang. (USATSI)As reported by our own Jon Heyman -- and later announced by the team -- the Pirates have won the negotiating rights to Korean shortstop Jung-Ho Kang. Reports out of Korea say the winning bid was a little north of $5 million. The Pirates and Kang now have 30 days to work out a contract, otherwise he will return to the Nexen Heroes for the 2015 season and Pittsburgh will be refunded the $5+ million.
    “The Pirates are pleased to have secured the opportunity to attempt to add Kang, Jung Ho to our system and look forward to commencing discussions with the Player and his representative in an effort to make that happen,” said GM Neal Huntington in a statement.
    Korean media reports indicate the 27-year-old Kang is seeking $5 million to $6 million per season on a three or four-year contract. That sounds like quite a bit for an unproven talent, but keep in mind Jed Lowrie just got three years at $7+ million annually and last year Omar Infante got four years at more than $7.5 million annually. Kang's asking price is below the market value for a league average-ish middle infielder.
    This past season with Nexen, Kang hit an outrageous .356/.459/.739 with 40 home runs in 117 games. The nine-team Korea Baseball Organization hit .289/.365/.443 overall, so it's an offense-happy league, but Kang was still far above the league average. The talent level in KBO is inferior to the talent level in Japan and is generally considered to be equivalent to Double-A, however.
    Clearly though, Kang can hit a little bit. What do scouts think about his ability to produce against major league caliber competition? Ben Badler of Baseball America has some answers:
    ... scouts were skeptical of Kang's skill set translating into an everyday role in the majors. Kang is strong and has average raw power, with a chance for 15-20 home runs if he plays every day ... He doesn't have the range to play shortstop in the majors, and scouts also expressed concerns about his ability to make the routine plays ... there's enough potential at the plate for him to be an offensive-oriented utility player who starts his U.S. career in the majors.
    It's also worth noting the track record of Asian infielders coming over to MLB is terrible. Kaz Matsui, Tsuyoshi Nishioka and Hiroyuki Nakajima were bonafide stars in Japan who flopped to varying degrees in MLB. Akinori Iwamura had about two seasons as a league average player with the Rays before crashing. There's some thought the game on the infield here is too quick and it's too much of an adjustment for a player to make in the middle of his career.
    Now, that said, quality middle infielders are very hard to find, and the Pirates are perhaps among the best equipped teams to help Kang through his defensive issues because they are one of the top shifting and defensive positioning teams in the game. Their scouting reports and preparation are excellent, which is why only 22.5 percent of the ground balls allowed by their pitching staff have gone for hits the last two seasons, the fourth fewest in MLB.
    With Josh Harrison at third, Jordy Mercer at short and Neil Walker at second, the Pirates also wouldn't have to throw Kang to the wolves and expect him to produce right away. They could break him in slowly, perhaps even start him in Triple-A if they feel that's necessary, and generally make the transition a little easier. Remember, it's not just going from KBO to MLB, the culture change is a tough adjustment as well.
    For an upfront $5 million posting fee plus a three or four-year contract at $5 million to $6 million annually, the Pirates could secure a 27-year-old middle infielder with power. It would be a risky investment, no doubt about it, but Pittsburgh is able to mitigate that risk thanks to their already in place infield and deep farm system. Kang would just be part of the team, not the centerpiece.
    Kang wouldn't need to be a star to be worth that kind of investment. Heck, he wouldn't even have to be an average everyday player. These days $6 million doesn't buy a whole lot, which is why it's smart for the Pirates to roll the dice. If Kang works out, they'll have a solid contributor at a hard to fill position. If not, then they'll lose nothing but money. It's exactly the kind of risk a team like the Pirates should take.
    >> Want more Hot Stove? Free agent tracker | Trade tracker

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    Pirates smart to take a chance on Korean shortstop Jung-Ho Kang

By Mike Axisa | Baseball Writer

December 22, 2014 2:39 pm ET

The Pirates have won the bidding for Jung-Ho Kang. (USATSI)As reported by our own Jon Heyman -- and later announced by the team -- the Pirates have won the negotiating rights to Korean shortstop Jung-Ho Kang. Reports out of Korea say the winning bid was a little north of $5 million. The Pirates and Kang now have 30 days to work out a contract, otherwise he will return to the Nexen Heroes for the 2015 season and Pittsburgh will be refunded the $5+ million.
    “The Pirates are pleased to have secured the opportunity to attempt to add Kang, Jung Ho to our system and look forward to commencing discussions with the Player and his representative in an effort to make that happen,” said GM Neal Huntington in a statement.
    Korean media reports indicate the 27-year-old Kang is seeking $5 million to $6 million per season on a three or four-year contract. That sounds like quite a bit for an unproven talent, but keep in mind Jed Lowrie just got three years at $7+ million annually and last year Omar Infante got four years at more than $7.5 million annually. Kang's asking price is below the market value for a league average-ish middle infielder.
    This past season with Nexen, Kang hit an outrageous .356/.459/.739 with 40 home runs in 117 games. The nine-team Korea Baseball Organization hit .289/.365/.443 overall, so it's an offense-happy league, but Kang was still far above the league average. The talent level in KBO is inferior to the talent level in Japan and is generally considered to be equivalent to Double-A, however.
    Clearly though, Kang can hit a little bit. What do scouts think about his ability to produce against major league caliber competition? Ben Badler of Baseball America has some answers:
    ... scouts were skeptical of Kang's skill set translating into an everyday role in the majors. Kang is strong and has average raw power, with a chance for 15-20 home runs if he plays every day ... He doesn't have the range to play shortstop in the majors, and scouts also expressed concerns about his ability to make the routine plays ... there's enough potential at the plate for him to be an offensive-oriented utility player who starts his U.S. career in the majors.
    It's also worth noting the track record of Asian infielders coming over to MLB is terrible. Kaz Matsui, Tsuyoshi Nishioka and Hiroyuki Nakajima were bonafide stars in Japan who flopped to varying degrees in MLB. Akinori Iwamura had about two seasons as a league average player with the Rays before crashing. There's some thought the game on the infield here is too quick and it's too much of an adjustment for a player to make in the middle of his career.
    Now, that said, quality middle infielders are very hard to find, and the Pirates are perhaps among the best equipped teams to help Kang through his defensive issues because they are one of the top shifting and defensive positioning teams in the game. Their scouting reports and preparation are excellent, which is why only 22.5 percent of the ground balls allowed by their pitching staff have gone for hits the last two seasons, the fourth fewest in MLB.
    With Josh Harrison at third, Jordy Mercer at short and Neil Walker at second, the Pirates also wouldn't have to throw Kang to the wolves and expect him to produce right away. They could break him in slowly, perhaps even start him in Triple-A if they feel that's necessary, and generally make the transition a little easier. Remember, it's not just going from KBO to MLB, the culture change is a tough adjustment as well.
    For an upfront $5 million posting fee plus a three or four-year contract at $5 million to $6 million annually, the Pirates could secure a 27-year-old middle infielder with power. It would be a risky investment, no doubt about it, but Pittsburgh is able to mitigate that risk thanks to their already in place infield and deep farm system. Kang would just be part of the team, not the centerpiece.
    Kang wouldn't need to be a star to be worth that kind of investment. Heck, he wouldn't even have to be an average everyday player. These days $6 million doesn't buy a whole lot, which is why it's smart for the Pirates to roll the dice. If Kang works out, they'll have a solid contributor at a hard to fill position. If not, then they'll lose nothing but money. It's exactly the kind of risk a team like the Pirates should take.
    >> Want more Hot Stove? Free agent tracker | Trade tracker
    Awesome article! Thanks for sharing, EM!

I'm excited about this news for the Buccos! This would be hugh!

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 311

I immediately thought of you guys when I read this, it seems like this could be a nice addition to the Pirates lineup. He has power and hits for average.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Crazy.... the Pirates have to pay $5 million just to-try-to sign him.

At least they get the $$ back if it doesn't get worked out

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Completely surprise move there

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

That's the way posting has always worked. The Sox paid $50 million for Dice-K.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Completely surprise move there
    I'm definitely looking forward to how this plays out...

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Now. Thats Crazy!!

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5021

My Saints are done.

Looking forward to the 2015 Chicago Cubs!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by Carseller4 View Post
    My Saints are done.

Should be an interesting club

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Now. Thats Crazy!!
    Yeah, no doubt! Dice-K never lived up to his hype and potential. A major bust to say the least.

Heard he's back in Japan playing ball there...

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Merry Christmas to all my bb pals in this thread.

Hope you all have a Great Holiday....

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Merry Christmas everyone!

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

Quote Originally Posted by Carseller4 View Post
    My Saints are done.

CS4, I give this much to you, you don't bandwagon front-runners. Now I understand your point deficit problem. It's in your nature.

First ... 3536373839 Last