qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Are there any hardcore Notre Dame fans here?

I have a client who wants to throw down a decent amount of money on the 2017 Georgia/Notre Dame before the odds are released.

If you are a ND fan, what are your thoughts on 2017?

In particular, any word on the quarterback situation.

The only thing I know right now about ND is their recruiting status. A decent 2017 class and 2018 is looking really good.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

Brandon Wimbush should be starting at QB.

qwertvt

Quote Originally Posted by reigle9 View Post
    Brandon Wimbush should be starting at QB.
    Thanks. I think I will take the bet despite GA losing their best defensive player a couple of days ago.

rkellyatrecess
    rkellyatrecess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1928

ND fan here.

Brian Kelly teams generally perform inversely to how experienced is the QB.

Brian Kelly's record with a first-year starter at QB: 27-9 (75.0%), while his record with a returning starter at QB is 32-22 (59.7%). That's because with an experienced quarterback he tries to show what a great offensive passing mind he has, while with a less experienced quarterback he is forced to run the damn ball. Wimbush is a talent and a junior, so Kelly may give into his demons. However Wimbush has limited playing time at ND and only started one year in high school. If plays are called to protect an inexperienced quarterback, ND has a stable of very good backs. Not Georgia-level, but easily a top-15 group in the country.

Chip Long is the new offensive coordinator. The word is that he will have play calling duties, but Kelly will have heavy influence. Long favors more two-TE sets, which matches well with ND's personnel.

Mike Elko is the new DC. The defense can't help but be improved. It will be selectively aggressive. However, any pass-rushing prowess will have to be proven. Eason, a ND legacy, should find time to work. I predict a game in the 30s, but extreme result either way would not surprise me.

qwertvt

Quote Originally Posted by rkellyatrecess View Post
    ND fan here.

Brian Kelly teams generally perform inversely to how experienced is the QB.

Brian Kelly's record with a first-year starter at QB: 27-9 (75.0%), while his record with a returning starter at QB is 32-22 (59.7%). That's because with an experienced quarterback he tries to show what a great offensive passing mind he has, while with a less experienced quarterback he is forced to run the damn ball. Wimbush is a talent and a junior, so Kelly may give into his demons. However Wimbush has limited playing time at ND and only started one year in high school. If plays are called to protect an inexperienced quarterback, ND has a stable of very good backs. Not Georgia-level, but easily a top-15 group in the country.

Chip Long is the new offensive coordinator. The word is that he will have play calling duties, but Kelly will have heavy influence. Long favors more two-TE sets, which matches well with ND's personnel.

Mike Elko is the new DC. The defense can't help but be improved. It will be selectively aggressive. However, any pass-rushing prowess will have to be proven. Eason, a ND legacy, should find time to work. I predict a game in the 30s, but extreme result either way would not surprise me.
    Hardcore GA fans have on their blinders. They see the good with the Dawgs without considering the improvements of ND.

It is too early to handicap but this game worries me as a fan. Playing a bunch of freshman on the O line @ South Bend isn't ideal to say the least.

My wager; however, has been made. I shook hands so it's a done deal.

I wish I could attend. Seeing the ND stadium is bucket list material.

Thanks for your insight on the subject.
    Last edited by qwertvt; 02-25-17 at 09:32 AM.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

It should be a good game between two teams that have not come close to producing the way they should have these past few years. Notre Dame hosts Georgia and USC. They go to Michigan State, North Carolina, Miami (Fl) and Stanford. That is a schedule that will probably get Brian Kelly fired after the season. He is NOT a very good Head Coach.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I'd guess Georgia will be favored slightly

I may actually go to this game

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

You heard it here first. The Irish will be 1-3 point favorites to sucker in all of that East Coast Notre Dame money.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Georgia is basically returning their entire defense. If they can get some offensive line play, this may not be close

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Georgia straight up against Notre Dame is a toss up on the road. I might give ND the slight edge there as they are going to have a lot of talent and the Georgia QB stinks and they have not been very good. Georgia could be pretty good though. I would not bet that game. As a friendly wager, you probably have the slight edge but on the road will be dangerous.

My guess is that game will be Georgia -1.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

This is the 2nd game for each team. The Irish Host Temple and UGA hosts App State in each teams openers. Watch the lines for those openers. Talk about a look ahead game.

qwertvt

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    Georgia straight up against Notre Dame is a toss up on the road. I might give ND the slight edge there as they are going to have a lot of talent and the Georgia QB stinks and they have not been very good. Georgia could be pretty good though. I would not bet that game. As a friendly wager, you probably have the slight edge but on the road will be dangerous.

My guess is that game will be Georgia -1.
    The GA QB situation doesn't worry me much. A true freshman last year playing pro style in the SEC is a tough gig. He (Eason) should improve by reviewing his past mistakes and hopefully the game slows down for him.

There is a really good 2017 QB (Fromm) who came into the fold in their new recruiting class. He is one of three QBs featured in a go90 documentary.

This will create competition. Eason simply had no competition last year and it showed. There are no guarantees Eason starts and he knows it. Steel sharpens steel and even Matthew Stafford had a shaky freshman year.

GA has two stud running backs that surprised everyone by not entering the NFL draft. The running game will be their best weapon.

Defense, O line and wide receivers are what concern me the most on this game. There is talent but much of it is untested.

I have heard many good things about the ND team, including their QB.

I believe he is a dual threat. That is the achilles heel of most SEC teams.

This is prime time game airing at 7:30. Should be a good one.

Bigdaddy makes a great point about Temple and App State.

qwertvt

Tickets for this game are getting expensive.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Notre Dame's biggest problem in this game is having a very inexperienced front four and could be a major problem. This returning group did NOT have a QB sack last year. If this group does not improve, UGA is going to run all over them. That forces the backers to play run defense and opens up the passing game for Eason. Can UGA develop some receivers to take advantage of this? UGA's defense is loaded. The Irish return 8 starters on offense but need to develop a QB. This game is going to be very tough on the loser, especially if that loser is the Irish, who hit the road for two straight after this game.

qwertvt

UGA will be good not great on the receiving core.

They have the talent but the question will be whether Eason (QB) can find them.

Last year he was unable to go through his progressions and missed several open players.

If ND can stop the run, I think they win this game.

The bad news for ND is that GA's RB1 and RB2 were NFL draft candidates but both elected to stay for a 4th year. Nick Chubb will likely have 100 yard game. This would be a good prop bet.

I am a bit worried about ND's QB. If he can be a dual threat, that's a big problem.

SEC teams don't fare well against running quarterbacks.

This will be a great game for some, heartbreaking for others.

I know many who are going. They are all excited about seeing the stadium.