Clemson Doesn't Deserve The National Championship - 14 Points On Pick Plays

Refs kept the flag in the pocket.

I wonder why?

Vegas?

Blatant penalties. No call.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2726

As much as I hate to agree with you Tim (since I had Clemson) you are 100% right...they've been calling that shit (those damn pick plays) all year long...Tigers should have had two TD's nullified and in both cases the catch was made pass the line of scrimmage meaning the pick penalty would have been the correct call...the only time it's not a pick is if the WR catches the ball behind the line of scrimmage...
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PAULYPOKER

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Also, that last PI call happened outside of the endzone which would have been half the distance instead of placed at the 2, right?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by dlowilly View Post
    Also, that last PI call happened outside of the endzone which would have been half the distance instead of placed at the 2, right?
    Yep. Ref even threw the flag at the 2 yd. line-ish where the foul occurred. Their fingerprints were all over this game, which was disappointing. Can't blame Vegas as they took a bath on this one.

To be fair, Williams and the kid who made that diving, finger tip catch to set it up deep in Bama territory at the end were clutch.

I still don't understand why the corner interfered with Williams on the second to the last play when he had safety help. There was a good chance that the safety picks that ball.

On to the next one

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6858

you noticed the blatant holding on Bama's first q td run i assume?

or the weak call going against Clemson the very next kickoff that they ran back to Bama's 35...

or the missed head shots while Bama was head hunting in the first Q...

pretty much the entire first Q that kept Clemson down and out till they finally got it going middle of 2nd Q

or the fact that Bama was trying to take advantage of bad rules and commit pass interference on every play once they got to first and goal because time comes off the clock and Saban wanted to force Clemson to run into the scenario where they HAD to kick a 19 yard FG and go to OT... that's why they str8 pushed down Williams on the fade route throw with 9 seconds left and that's why the defender basically dragged down the WR who was running the rub route on the sprint out right type QB pass/run play on the 2 yard line with 6 seconds left

Refs had the chance to just ignore those dirty tactics by Bama if Clemson caught a TD and Clemson did so that's exactly what the refs did.... a big F YOU to Bama for trying to play like that to survive and get to OT or even block the FG to win...

maybe Bama should've stopped Williams from making rocket catches on them

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Yep. Ref even threw the flag at the 2 yd. line-ish where the foul occurred. Their fingerprints were all over this game, which was disappointing. Can't blame Vegas as they took a bath on this one.

To be fair, Williams and the kid who made that diving, finger tip catch to set it up deep in Bama territory at the end were clutch.

I still don't understand why the corner interfered with Williams on the second to the last play when he had safety help. There was a good chance that the safety picks that ball.

On to the next one
    the pick plays were so blatant but regardless that is the play that stands out the most to me. Awesome catch at the most important time. The follow up TD catch was easy compared to that one.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11618

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    No matter the final score or who won or lost Saban should be getting a lot of flack for that today. I can't believe some of those guys stayed in the game. Targeting the head was clearly part of the game plan. Unreal.

And as for pick plays - getting away with them is part of the gameplan - in that first pick/TD you saw the Clemson receiver throw his hands up as he crossed up the defender. That's how you do it - and, correctly, Clemson saved the plays for the red zone because when you spend the whole game picking defenders you are that much more likely to draw the flag in crunch time. Doing them well is part of the game, nothing new about this. Don't think Bama wouldn't do it as good as Clemson did if they could. They just needed a more precise passer, though.
    Last edited by ByeShea; 01-10-17 at 10:27 AM.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

A wise man once told me it's only a foul if the ref blows a whistle

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6446

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    you noticed the blatant holding on Bama's first q td run i assume?

or the weak call going against Clemson the very next kickoff that they ran back to Bama's 35...

pretty much the entire first Q that kept Clemson down and out till they finally got it going middle of 2nd Q

or the fact that Bama was trying to take advantage of bad rules and commit pass interference on every play once they got to first and goal because time comes off the clock and Saban wanted to force Clemson to run into the scenario where they HAD to kick a 19 yard FG and go to OT... that's why they str8 pushed down Williams on the fade route throw with 9 seconds left and that's why the defender basically dragged down the WR who was running the rub route on the sprint out right type QB pass/run play on the 2 yard line with 6 seconds left

Refs had the chance to just ignore those dirty tactics by Bama if Clemson caught a TD and Clemson did so that's exactly what the refs did.... a big F YOU to Bama for trying to play like that to survive and get to OT or even block the FG to win...

maybe Bama should've stopped Williams from making rocket catches on them

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Great posts by everyone in this thread.

All I'm saying is... I've seen subtle rubs.... all year than the two scoring plays.... and these other subtle rubs were called Offensive PI immediately.

What were the officials looking at? It's just bizarre to me. Seems like they knew not to call it on scoring plays for Clemson.

Clemson's go ahead score was clearly offensive PI. I give Saban a lot of credit for not saying anything about the officiating during the end of the game interview. Not one bleep.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

time to move on

many winners today

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Great posts by everyone in this thread.

All I'm saying is... I've seen subtle rubs.... all year than the two scoring plays.... and these other subtle rubs were called Offensive PI immediately.

What were the officials looking at? It's just bizarre to me. Seems like they knew not to call it on scoring plays for Clemson.

Clemson's go ahead score was clearly offensive PI. I give Saban a lot of credit for not saying anything about the officiating during the end of the game interview. Not one bleep.
    Goes both ways. Not like Bamas dbs weren't hands all over most of the game. Let 'em play.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Definitely went both ways and I didn't have action on it. Neutral perspective

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

TMS seriously....are you going to be the guy to call Offensive PI with 1 second left in the National Championship Game? Bama clearly knew what play was coming....DB has to get in better position not to get picked there

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

I joined in 08, I don't even remember TMS back then.

When I first noticed him, figured below average IQ

Guy keeps proving that wrong consistently and I'm now certain hes one of the sharps in players talk

I have no opinion on this thread though

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Not called because thats not a pick play. Those are called scissoring plays. When happening that close to line of scrimmage - perfectly legal.

TMS...in the future, ask me before you make a thread. There's a lot of reasons why everyone knows me as the guy with a MAJOR FUKKIN CLUE.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

opie... put it all on Dallas

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Lol whiny bitch. Take your loss like a man you pussssy.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

I still don't understand why the DB's don't just switch men on those plays like is done in basketball. This would make the "picks" irrelevant

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11934

I'm watching it again to see the if PI happen in end zone or not

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

Quote Originally Posted by INVEGA MAN View Post
    I'm watching it again to see the if PI happen in end zone or not
    It didn't...1.5 yard line about

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    I still don't understand why the DB's don't just switch men on those plays like is done in basketball. This would make the "picks" irrelevant
    Difference between college players and pros, Boo. Like night and day

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11934

your right. Just watched it. It happen inside the 2. These ref's were bad. OMG

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Quote Originally Posted by INVEGA MAN View Post
    your right. Just watched it. It happen inside the 2. These ref's were bad. OMG
    Don't understand, what's the issue? Line of scrimmage was 9 yd line; pass interference is 15 yds if applicable, in this case spot foul. Ball was spotted properly.

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

Quote Originally Posted by dlowilly View Post
    No, that's incorrect. Half-the-distance does not apply to pass interference calls.

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

I think Clemson was trying to run a pick play but the DB pulled down the receiver before he could execute the pick/block, so no foul on Clemson there.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

What you saw were not pick plays, and those that think they were don't know the game. In man coverage contact happens, as long as the WR is running a route the flags will stay in the pockets, and it's ALWAYS man coverage in the end zone. Call them rub plays if you want. Those plays were legal, quit crying and learn the fukin' game.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

The only possible way that play could be called offensive PI, is if it was determined the receiver knocked the defender backwards, similar to a charge in basketball. You can't plow through a guy who has position. That being said, that would never be called, especially then.

In no way was it a pick play. A pick play is when the receiver makes contact with the other DB who is going outside. Alabama DB picked his own man. He did have some help, but you have to be tougher than that.

fecgp40
    fecgp40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5185

Quote Originally Posted by thellama View Post
    What you saw were not pick plays, and those that think they were don't know the game. In man coverage contact happens, as long as the WR is running a route the flags will stay in the pockets, and it's ALWAYS man coverage in the end zone. Call them rub plays if you want. Those plays were legal, quit crying and learn the fukin' game.
    This.

fecgp40
    fecgp40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5185

I actually thought the officiating was pretty good. There may have been a few questionable non-calls, but I'd rather see those than BS ticky tack calls.

champlain
    champlain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

Stop whining. Even if your biased mind really believes it's a pick, it will not be called with 1 second left in a championship game.

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Saw the calls go both ways. Saw Bama DB's get away with as much, if not more.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6858

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    No matter the final score or who won or lost Saban should be getting a lot of flack for that today. I can't believe some of those guys stayed in the game. Targeting the head was clearly part of the game plan. Unreal.

And as for pick plays - getting away with them is part of the gameplan - in that first pick/TD you saw the Clemson receiver throw his hands up as he crossed up the defender. That's how you do it - and, correctly, Clemson saved the plays for the red zone because when you spend the whole game picking defenders you are that much more likely to draw the flag in crunch time. Doing them well is part of the game, nothing new about this. Don't think Bama wouldn't do it as good as Clemson did if they could. They just needed a more precise passer, though.
    yep, great points you made there

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22668

Phuckin Tide with that prevent offense didn't help.

12 Last