BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Bowl Game Intangibles

If you disregard the two Playoff Bowl Games, the biggest intangible by far for this bowl season is simply which team want to win the most. Not counting the Playoff games and games that are not lined as of yet, I see 15 bowl games with lines of 3 1/2 points or less. A line of 3 1/2 points or less basically means that no one is sure what will happen. In those games, the teams that wants it the most normally prevails.

Other things to look for. In the Potato Bowl, Colorado State is listed as a 10 1/2 point favorite over Idaho, even though Idaho should have a big crowd advantage. What people may not realize is that Idaho was basically strong armed into going back to the FCS in 2018. This team that had a 1-24 S/U away record not only won 8 games, but won 3 away games. Two of their away losses came to the Washington teams, both of which are in bowls. Idaho had something to prove, and did so. 10 1/2 points seems to be a gift.

Home Field Advantage: New Mexico UCF, and Hawaii are playing on their home fields. Other teams like Troy, La. Lafayette, Idaho, North Texas, Temple, Texas A&M, Tennessee, and USC are playing games very close to home and should get big crowd turnouts. This can effect games, and also effect the lines for those games.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

didn't know idaho was going back to FCS?

i wonder if their QB will transfer........1 more year if i'm not mistaken. his name escapes me but he's been godsend for idaho.

gojetsgomoxies

matt linehan... and it appears he is junior

Igor_1965
    200 Independence Avenue
    Igor_1965's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

The biggest intangible is that the Crimson Tied will be -2000 on the money line, and you are already jumping at the bid to empty your account on this sure fire lock of the decade.

gojetsgomoxies

oops, rereading bigdaddy's comment, looks like idaho will be back to FCS in 2018, NOT next season. so linehan, the qb, will have graduated..

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

The team that wants it the most? Good luck finding that out before game time.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    The team that wants it the most? Good luck finding that out before game time.
    There are signs that point to this. The problem is that they are not real obvious at times and you really have to dig to find them. One of the more obvious sign is just how many players do something stupid and get kicked off their teams before game time. Remember, teams travel to their various venues about 4 days prior to their game, so it is difficult to get down too early on these games since many problems happen when these dumb kids get drunk in the cities they are visiting.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    There are signs that point to this. The problem is that they are not real obvious at times and you really have to dig to find them. One of the more obvious sign is just how many players do something stupid and get kicked off their teams before game time. Remember, teams travel to their various venues about 4 days prior to their game, so it is difficult to get down too early on these games since many problems happen when these dumb kids get drunk in the cities they are visiting.
    I hear ya I can see how that angle helps, Im not betting early either unless something jumps out at me, havent even looked at lines yet really. Sometimes it may not matter, like last year when Boykin was suspended and Oregon was up 31-0 at halftime only to lose 47-41 in OT. I think I had Oregon in that game. I may just play more overs than sides.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

That game was the beginning of the end for Helfrich. I think that some other coaches who may not know just how hot their seats have become but have an idea that there is something going on will learn from that. Gus Malzahn, who has lost 15 games in the past three years and probably one more in the Sugar Bowl may want to think about this.

JayDr3am
    Handi
    JayDr3am's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8206

entirely too early to be making any decisions but with a glance i see a few i like

gojetsgomoxies

i would say underachieving big conference teams with lots of players eyeing the NFL are good FADE material. not sure how many there are though. some miami teams have been good fades.