BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

This Year's Favorites

Yes, people are already picking this years Top 25 teams. Ridiculously early, but the start of the silly season. Naturally Ohio State ranks near the top. Others by Conference (Power 5 Only):

ACC: Real trouble here. Florida State loses QB Winston and just about everyone else on offense. The D loses 4 to the NFL. Clemson gets shreaded on defense, losing all but 3 starters to graduation, and some good back ups also. Ga. Tech may be a decent sleeper. There are simply no teams that stand out in this conference. This is a conference that may have no teams with one or less losses.

Big 10: Obviously Ohio State will be the favorite, with Michigan State a close second. Ohio State returns a bunch of QB's, and 6 others on offense, as well as 7 on defense. Their schedule simply does not get any easier. Michigan State loses a lot of running power on offense, but returns 7 starters on defense. The rest are all longshots, especially in the West, where some questionable HC hires will affect some teams. The usual suspects, Wisconsin and Nebraska, head the list. The Ohio State NC run put a huge dent in the Big 12's playoff asperations without a CC game.

Big 12: TCU is really the Big 12's only hope of getting into the playoffs. They return 8 starters on offense and 6 on defense. They have a legit Heisman candidate in QB Boykin. They also get Baylor at home, and actually play a decent non-con away game at Minnesota. Baylor is the popular runner up, despite losing their QB. They still return 8 starters on offense and 9 on defense. Their problem is that Mickey Mouse non-con schedule. One loss and they are out of the playoffs. The worst thing to happen to the Big 12 was to have Ohio State win the NC. The rest of the Big 12 is still two steps or more behind the top two.

Pac 12: One of the two toughest conference from top to bottom. The North sees Oregon lose QB Mariota and 4 others on offense, and 6 starters on defense. The schedule is no help. Cal, who returns 9 starters on both sides of the ball, is going to suprise some teams this season. The South has 5 legitimate teams in the Top 25. USC loses some key players, but still returns 8 starters on both offense and defense, inluding QB Kessler. UCLA loses QB Hundley and 2 others on offense, but only 3 on defense. Arizona State returns 9 starters on defense and 6 on offense, but must find another QB. Utah returns 7 starters on offense and 6 on defense. Arizona also returns 7 on offense, but takes a big hit, losing 6 starters. It is possible that no team loses less than two games in this Conference.

SEC: Easily the 2nd of the two toughest conferences. The East suddenly bloomed in the bowl games. Georgia returns 6 starters and a tremendous running attack. The schedule is doable, hosting Alabama and Missouri. Tennessee returns 9 starters on both sides of the ball. They must find a new QB. Their schedule is challenging. Missouri cannot be overlooked. In the West, Alabama must rebuild, or reload as they like to call it. They return only 4 starters on offense and 7 on defense. Auburn also loses 7 starters on offense and 5 on defense. No one in the Division is much better off. This will be the closest race for the Championship in many a year in the SEC.

Other than Ohio State, I do not see any clear Conference Champions this season. TCU is about as close as I can see to a Conference lock, and that is not real close.

*Note. Unlike Phil Steele, who counts anyone who started just one game as a returning starter, I could only those players who were the normal starters for each team.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 01-16-15 at 12:31 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife

Microbetter
    Microbetter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13606

This is a very good write up. I hope in the future we see more posts like this from you instead of the hate filled posts. Stay focused on the sports and you'll be fine. Here's to the reformed BigDaddy in 2015.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Microbetter View Post
    This is a very good write up. I hope in the future we see more posts like this from you instead of the hate filled posts. Stay focused on the sports and you'll be fine. Here's to the reformed BigDaddy in 2015.
    I will try to follow your suggestions and not allow the phony players in here to bother me so much. You and I both know how few people actually wager in here. Just look at how many have disappeared out of this sub-forum.

Microbetter
    Microbetter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13606

Let the phonies be phony. Don't stress yourself out by trying to out them. They will do that to themselves. BOL in '15

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Microbetter View Post
    Let the phonies be phony. Don't stress yourself out by trying to out them. They will do that to themselves. BOL in '15
    Thanks. The work starts now. We now know who is leaving for the NFL. Last season basically ran to form. Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State and Oregon all won their conference championships and Baylor won the Big 12 even though they do not have a CC game. That was rather easy to call. This season, other than Ohio State being a big favorite in the Big 10, who knows what will happen.

bryanoens
    bryanoens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6717

Arizona will win pac 12...you heard it here first

mackanlasse
    mackanlasse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

jbullag
    jbullag's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 784

nice

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

I've heard several experts say Notre Dame is a legit playoff contender next year. They're bringing their whole team back, plus the 14 guys on defense that got hurt or suspended. And I actually think they'll be a lot better off with Zaire behind center than Golson. They have a tough schedule next year, though. The game at Clemson is going to be tough, and USC and Texas will be a lot better as well.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Arizona lost their last two games last season. They were blown out by an Oregon team that they had previously defeated, and lost to Bise State in the Fiesta Bowl. They lose a lot on defense, and end the season playing Washington, USC, Utah, and Arizona State. Only the Utah game is at home. Arizona has never been there and probably will not get there this season.

Notre Dame lost 5 out of their last 6 games before getting an upset win against LSU. They return a to of players, but just how good are they? The Irish host Texas, Georgia Tech, and USC. They also must play 4 out of their last 5 games on the road. They have a legitimate shot IF their players are good. They seem to quit after the Florida State loss last season.